Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 448 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27822Likes

post #13411 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I hate to admit it but I will probably buy The Matrix Trilogy in DV again (scheduled for May)..... so how many versions is that?
The same as Avatar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown View Post
The same as Avatar.

Great! I promised myself no rebuying but.........

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #13413 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I hate to admit it but I will probably buy The Matrix Trilogy in DV again (scheduled for May)..... so how many versions is that?
If we'd only known Apple would hook us up with a free upgrade... Lesson learned - buy on itunes and when the 8K HyperUltraInfiniteHDVision version comes available, we'll be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13414 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post
If we'd only known Apple would hook us up with a free upgrade... Lesson learned - buy on itunes and when the 8K HyperUltraInfiniteHDVision version comes available, we'll be set.
First you have to get the 4K UltraInfiniteHDVision Directors Cut.
post #13415 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Using the same cables as you. I’m referring to cbs all access the pay site.
As am I.

OLED65C7P - Denon AVR S920W - Oppo 205 - Apple TV 4K - Bowers & Wilkins 804, HTM2, 805 - SVS PB2000
post #13416 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
As I understand it, it's only the first Matrix movie coming out in 4k HDR in May. The other two haven't been announced so not sure those will be coming out or not?
JRM584 likes this.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #13417 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Anyone here use the Walter Presents streaming service on their ATV? I'm curious what the picture/audio quality is like.

Thanks
post #13418 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
As I understand it, it's only the first Matrix movie coming out in 4k HDR in May. The other two haven't been announced so not sure those will be coming out or not?
Game of thrones season one also scheduled for june in uhd.

LG 65C7T - SONY BRAVIA 65"Z9D
Marantz SR6012 - Pioneer SCLX 58 - Apple 4KTV
Oppo UBD 203/205- Oppo BDP 103 - Panasonic DMP UB900
Playstation 4 - Mordaunt Short Speakers
post #13419 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybee View Post

As far as I know, the only thing that has been posted is a preorder in France. Nothing official has been said (maybe I missed it though) outside of that.
post #13420 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:

As far as I know, the only thing that has been posted is a preorder in France. Nothing official has been said (maybe I missed it though) outside of that.
post #13421 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
This discussion about what to have the ATV 4K set to makes me want to recap it (for my benefit). I have a Sony A1E that gets nice DV from the ATV4K, and most of my iTunes movies are 4K DV or HDR. I do watch some that are not 4K, and watch some Prime and Netflix that isn't 4K (although some are). I have normally been leaving my ATV 4K set to 4K DV, but given this discussion, may set it to 4K SDR. I have frame rate/range matching set to on. Is this the recommended setting for how I am using my ATV 4K? I tested it last night and it seems to switch to DV when I play a DV source. Is there any downside to setting it to 4K SDR (other than the sorting issue mentioned above)?
Thanks,
Mark
You got it right. 4K SDR and match on.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #13422 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

That would be a great time for HBO Go to start streaming in 4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13423 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Anyone here use the Walter Presents streaming service on their ATV? I'm curious what the picture/audio quality is like.

Thanks
I stream it on the ATV using the Amazon Walter Presents channel and everything is fine

Room 1 system: Paradigm Reference Active 7.2 system, Anthem AVM50, Oppo BDP-103. Pioneer Elite 610HD. Room 2: Samsung 65HU8550 with SEK3500, Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system, Denon AVR-X2400H, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4k
post #13424 of 23742 Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygiddings View Post
I stream it on the ATV using the Amazon Walter Presents channel and everything is fine
Yes, I have as well, but I was more interested the native Walter Presents app itself and how it fares picture/audio-wise to the Amazon Channels offering.

Last edited by Keenan; 03-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #13425 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg TB View Post
As am I.
Thanks for the replies. I figured out the issue it was another devise in my system causing the problem.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer LX-500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #13426 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So I caved and bought an ATV4K to try, and add to my collection of somehow-flawed streamers.

Big deal for me, as I'm not an apple fan.

But to the point:

Did some viewing last night, and noticed blacks / dark gray areas in men's suits in the opening scene of "Darkest Hour" (~2:00-4:00) had a green tinge to them in the dark / shadowy areas.

Clearly the bit-rate (HD in this case, via iTunes of a title I own in UV) is too low for perfect video, as I also see splotchy / grainy in those shadows (pretty normal for streamers / lower bit rate video). Haven't seen the greenish tinge with it though, to my knowledge.

Also played it via Vudu on the ATV (again, HD stream - or "HDX" in Vudu speak) - same effect.

Then tried it on my Shield TV via Vudu and Google Play (all HD streams also) and it was much less to essentially non existent. Still something funky in those dark shadowy areas though, but I don't think I would have noticed it on the Shield playback unless I went looking for it.

My ATV is set to 4:2:2 and outputting 4K/24p, so was upscaling. Shield was set to 4K / 24p output as well.

Didn't have time to replay in native 1080 output, but I suspect same result.

FWIW, based on the little time I was doing this, the ATV looks to at least be a slightly better upscaler than the Shield (which has a reputation for not being the best) - at least where apparent sharpness is concerned.

I always use native output rez to my PJ, so not an issue WRGT Shield in my case, but nice to see the ATV seeming to do a good job.

Dare I say I like the interface etc... on the ATV4K. But that remote....

Last edited by Iamjcl; 03-15-2018 at 05:42 AM.
post #13427 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
So I caved and bought an ATV4K to try, and add to my collection of somehow-flawed streamers.

But to the point:

Did some viewing last night, and noticed blacks / dark gray areas in men's suits in the opening scene of "Darkest Hour" (~2:00-4:00) had a green tinge to them in the dark / shadowy areas.

Clearly the bit-rate (HD in this case, via iTunes of a title I own in UV) is too low for perfect video, as I also see splotchy / grainy in those shadows (pretty normal for streamers / lower bit rate video). Haven't seen the greenish tinge with it though, to my knowledge.

Also played it via Vudu on the ATV (again, HD stream - or "HDX" in Vudu speak) - same effect.

Then tried it on my Shield TV via Vudu and Google Play (all HD streams also) and it was much less to essentially non existent. Still something funky in those dark shadowy areas though, but I don't think I would have noticed it on the Shield playback unless I went looking for it.

My ATV is set to 4:2:2 and outputting 4K/24p, so was upscaling. Shield was set to 4K / 24p output as well.

FWIW, based on the little time I was doing this, the ATV looks to at least be a slightly better upscaler than the Shield (which has a reputation for not being the best) - at least where apparent sharpness is concerned.

I always use native output rez to my PJ, so not an issue WRGT Shield in my case, but nice to see the ATV seeming to do a good job.

I jumped on the Directvnow promo so I got my ATV4K for free and was skeptical that it would perform as well as my Shield but not anymore. The picture quality, availability of 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content and it’s just a solid, well thought out device. It just works and I’m now a believer. I rarely switch to my Shield anymore.
I can’t do the same comparison as you with Darkest Hour but I have compared other 4K/HDR content and its no contest. My ATV settings are 4K SDR with Match Range and Frame Rate on (so it switches based on content) and 4:4:4 chroma.
Yeah, the remote is lacking. I don’t use it.
Greg TB likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #13428 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I jumped on the Directvnow promo so I got my ATV4K for free and was skeptical that it would perform as well as my Shield but not anymore. The picture quality, availability of 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content and it’s just a solid, well thought out device. It just works and I’m now a believer. I rarely switch to my Shield anymore.
I can’t do the same comparison as you with Darkest Hour but I have compared other 4K/HDR content and its no contest. My ATV settings are 4K SDR with Match Range and Frame Rate on (so it switches based on content) and 4:4:4 chroma.
I've got the match range and frame rate on as well.

It does seem to be a smooth experience from the UI side, for sure, remote aside (but if I keep the ATV I'd be using a Harmony anyway, so a non issue).

Though I haven't compared native resolution output yet, even with the slight disadvantage the Shield appears to have in upconversion, I definitely would not call it No Contest between image quality. At hand, the greenish shadow areas that are mostly absent from the Shield. So presumably the output from the Shield, in native resolution, will likely be slightly better than ATV - at least WRT this particular issue, on this particular title.

I do think apple has done their own encodes, so some viewers may report differences in streams, not necessarily devices (but sometimes you have to play certain streams on certain devices...) In this case I've watched the apple stream and the Vudu stream, and both exhibit same issue, whereas on the Shield, viewing 3 source streams (amazon, google, vudu) none show the issue to the same degree as ATV4K.

Hopefully it is something rare, or maybe a setting I've yet to find (although there aren't many on the ATV, but enough it seems).

Last edited by Iamjcl; 03-15-2018 at 06:47 AM.
post #13429 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 485
I don't think anyone else has mentioned green tinge as a problem and I certainly haven't seen it, so assuming your display is not introducing a colour tint at low luminance I can only assume it's in the source, either intentionally (directors rarely go for a "neutral" or "natural" look and introduce all kinds of colour tints to indicate mood or to accentuate the natural), or in error.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
post #13430 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
I don't think anyone else has mentioned green tinge as a problem and I certainly haven't seen it, so assuming your display is not introducing a colour tint at low luminance I can only assume it's in the source, either intentionally (directors rarely go for a "neutral" or "natural" look and introduce all kinds of colour tints to indicate mood or to accentuate the natural), or in error.
Definitely not intentional. it's likely a compression artifact.

Display having a tinge at low IRE levels would be the logical thought, I agree. However I haven't noticed it before on this display (Sony 930D 4K), and it isn't nearly as pronounced with the Shield's output, so I don't think it's the display. I also have the BR of this title, so I'll pop it in and check, but I'm pretty sure it will look clean this way (and it should).

So the fact that nobody else has commented on this says a lot - thanks for that. I'll need to look at some more material.

I'll say other than this, everything looks pretty good so far. And no stuttering with the 24p output like many devices do (Shield being a notable exception).

Just wish it wasn't missing Atmos - pretty major - It seems you just can't get one device to check all the boxes. That would be too easy I guess...
post #13431 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

But to the point:

Agrred on the remote. Big Apple fan here but IMO, that remote is plain bad.
post #13432 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Agrred on the remote. Big Apple fan here but IMO, that remote is plain bad.
Even the iphone app for the ATV4K is an improvement over the remote.
bobby94928 and leonmckee like this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #13433 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question to those who are vested in or familiar with the ATV4K / apple ecosystem:

If I purchase a movie via iTunes, will it be "permanently" added to my Movies Anywhere and / or UV account?

This seems to be the case with most purchases I've made through Vudu.

Hopefully I can purchase from either source and have the aggregate titles accumulate in MA / UV locker.

Thanks!
post #13434 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Though not an apple fan, I"m amazed the remote is just so horrible. That's usually the kind of stuff they're very good at. Many of us here will likely be using something else to control it, but a lot of mainstream users won't. Unusual mistake on their part.

Thinking back a few months, was on a trip and place where we stayed had ATV4Ks in all the bedrooms. I didn't think too much about it, but one night it was raining and we stayed in and watched a movie on it. My daughter, who IS a big apple fan, couldn't even work the thing. I of course gave my typical anti-apple rant... How poetic that I actually bought one. I probably deserve this remote.
rlb likes this.
post #13435 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Quick question to those who are vested in or familiar with the ATV4K / apple ecosystem:

If I purchase a movie via iTunes, will it be "permanently" added to my Movies Anywhere and / or UV account?

This seems to be the case with most purchases I've made through Vudu.

Hopefully I can purchase from either source and have the aggregate titles accumulate in MA / UV locker.

Thanks!

Apple is MA only...so if a title is MA then it would transfer to your locker, otherwise it would only be available on ITunes.
post #13436 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Though not an apple fan, I"m amazed the remote is just so horrible. That's usually the kind of stuff they're very good at. Many of us here will likely be using something else to control it, but a lot of mainstream users won't. Unusual mistake on their part.

Thinking back a few months, was on a trip and place where we stayed had ATV4Ks in all the bedrooms. I didn't think too much about it, but one night it was raining and we stayed in and watched a movie on it. My daughter, who IS a big apple fan, couldn't even work the thing. I of course gave my typical anti-apple rant... How poetic that I actually bought one. I probably deserve this remote.
You need the ATV remote or an iPhone if you want to scrub content. I’ve programmed my Elite to do everything else but it can’t do that essential task.
I remembered that I do use my Shield for one thing. It’s running my Plex server which I connect to from my ATV.
Check out Infuse if you haven’t already. It’s awesome.

Mike

Last edited by m_snow; 03-15-2018 at 08:00 AM.
post #13437 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Definitely not intentional. it's likely a compression artifact.

Display having a tinge at low IRE levels would be the logical thought, I agree. However I haven't noticed it before on this display (Sony 930D 4K), and it isn't nearly as pronounced with the Shield's output, so I don't think it's the display. I also have the BR of this title, so I'll pop it in and check, but I'm pretty sure it will look clean this way (and it should).

So the fact that nobody else has commented on this says a lot - thanks for that. I'll need to look at some more material.

I'll say other than this, everything looks pretty good so far. And no stuttering with the 24p output like many devices do (Shield being a notable exception).

Just wish it wasn't missing Atmos - pretty major - It seems you just can't get one device to check all the boxes. That would be too easy I guess...
I don't think I've ever heard of a colour shift as a compression artifact, although obviously macro blocks can show up any colour shift in the display response. But, I guess anything is possible!

Hopefully, Atmos will come with TvOS 12 at the latest. Fingers crossed anyway!

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
post #13438 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
If the same 4k movie (Vudu) is available on both the Shield (HDR10) and the Apple TV 4k (DV), I will pick the one with the better audio. The Shield supports Atmos so it the movie has Atmos, I'll watch it on the Shield. The only problem is that the Shield will sometimes buffer where I have to go back one screen and then start it again whereas the Apple TV 4k never buffers. One example is the new "Jumanji" movie. I watched it on the Shield last night because it has Atmos audio.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #13439 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You need the ATV remote or an iPhone if you want to scrub content. I’ve programmed my Elite to do everything else but it can’t do that essential task.
I remembered that I do use my Shield for one thing. It’s running my Plex server which I connect to from my ATV.
Check out Infuse if you haven’t already. It’s awesome.
What do you mean by scrub content?

I'm also using elites / hubs.

Thanks
post #13440 of 23742 Old 03-15-2018, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Though not an apple fan, I"m amazed the remote is just so horrible. That's usually the kind of stuff they're very good at. Many of us here will likely be using something else to control it, but a lot of mainstream users won't.
The Siri remote is the logical evolution of the remote Apple has been making since 2005. At present the only option for reproducing the full feature set of the Siri remote is the Apple remote app. The deficiencies of the Harmony command set have been discussed at some length in this thread.

A summary of missing features.
  • No mic.
  • No trackpad scrubbing.
  • No Home key.
  • No/Unreliable double clicks/long presses.
I have a mid-tier* system from URC (remote, rf bridge and controller) and use my Siri remote whenever I watch an iTunes movie.

As a new owner I'd recommend reading the first post in the thread and that in a fault diagnosis you consider a properly set-up ATV4K to be the component that is working. At this point I'd say 90% of issues reported have been in set-up or another component. Naturally I'm excluding design choices.

*Less than $2,000
Buckeye Dave and m_snow like this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page