Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27840Likes

post #13621 of 23795 Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
Elegantly simple - guess I never tried it!

Thanks!

Another useful one is to program one of your buttons to initiate a reboot. I use a long press on Exit so I don’t waste one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iamjcl and jdsnov73 like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
Yes - don't think swipes can be replicated by Harmony ATM, in my experience so far anyway. Basic stuff works well though.

Only one I really wouldn't mind having on there would be the swipe down for stream info.

If there is another way to get that info via Harmony, somebody please feel free to share the method.
I use the info button on my 650, which seems to do the same thing (shows me stream info and allows me to easily turn CC on/off). I don’t recall if I programmed this as a custom command, but I don’t think so.
post #13623 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Apple TV owners' thread.

Guys I think I found a major bug with Atv4k and amazon prime video app.

If I summon Siri from the atv home page (not inside amazon app) with “show me 4k movies in Amazon prime” it will show me a list of such movies. I click on one on the list and it takes me to a movie info page. It shows 4k Icon at the top. All good so far. I click on Watch on amazon prime and the movie opens in the app and the info page (swipe down) shows 4k.

NOW THE ISSUE:

Close /exit the movie, and search same movie title from amazon app interface. It will find it and it will NOT specify ULTRAHD And if you play/resume the movie it is in fact in Hd 1080 not ultrahd 4k. In fact it becomes impossible from that point forward to attempt to watch the movie in ultra HD 4K.

I’ve tried this with 5 different movies and can reproduce it every time. On two atv. Two different TVs.

Any ideas?

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13624 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Another useful one is to program one of your buttons to initiate a reboot. I use a long press on Exit so I don’t waste one.

I tried to program the "Exit" for an Apple TV 4k reboot but it didn't work doing a sequence because it will press "Home" and "Menu" one at a time. These buttons need to be pressed simultaneously for the reboot to work. How do you program the Harmony to do two buttons at the same time?

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #13625 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I tried to program the "Exit" for an Apple TV 4k reboot but it didn't work doing a sequence because it will press "Home" and "Menu" one at a time. These buttons need to be pressed simultaneously for the reboot to work. How do you program the Harmony to do two buttons at the same time?
I have a Harmony 700. There is a reboot command in the My Harmony app that I added to my window buttons.... It works just fine.

Bobby 

post #13626 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

If I summon Siri from the atv home page (not inside amazon app) with “show me 4k movies in Amazon prime” it will show me a list of such movies. I click on one on the list and it takes me to a movie info page. It shows 4k Icon at the top. All good so far. I click on Watch on amazon prime and the movie opens in the app and the info page (swipe down) shows 4k.

NOW THE ISSUE:

Close /exit the movie, and search same movie title from amazon app interface. It will find it and it will NOT specify ULTRAHD And if you play/resume the movie it is in fact in Hd 1080 not ultrahd 4k. In fact it becomes impossible from that point forward to attempt to watch the movie in ultra HD 4K.

I’ve tried this with 5 different movies and can reproduce it every time. On two atv. Two different TVs.

Any ideas?

That’s an Amazon issue by them having two different versions one hd the other uhd, if they took their head out of the sand they would default to the highest capabilities of the connected set.
nihilan and Greg TB like this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #13627 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I have a Harmony 700. There is a reboot command in the My Harmony app that I added to my window buttons.... It works just fine.
Thanks, I was making it harder than it actually was to do....

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #13628 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:

NOW THE ISSUE:

Any ideas?
Not an Apple bug. Amazon Prime does the same thing on Roku and Amazon's FireTV streamer.
gnolivos and brotony like this.
post #13629 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
In fact it becomes impossible from that point forward to attempt to watch the movie in ultra HD 4K.
Any ideas?
There are two issues:
  1. To find UHD content you have to look in the UHD section. This is noted in the first post.
  2. Even if you find the UHD version Amazon labeling doesn't always apply to the Apple TV.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #13630 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Interesting, iTunes has different encodes of a film depending on whether you are watching in DV/HDR or not. Don't get me wrong, it makes perfect since but, I just never thought about it before.

Take Star Trek Beyond. If you set your Apple TV to 4K SDR and turn OFF range matching you can watch the film in just 4K. Go to a scene where the aliens are speaking their alien language and you will see the ATV generated subtitles. Same thing happens if you set your ATV to 1080p SDR.

Turn range matching back ON and play the 4K DV version, go to the same scene with alien language and you will see the Trek stylized, burned in subtitles that appeared in theaters. They only appear on the DV version of the movie form iTunes which obviously means it is a different file being streamed. Unfortunately, the ATV still generates its own subtitles on top of those so, you end up with double the subtitles. That's annoying and I don't see a way to disable the ATV ones (they even appear when subtitles are set to OFF, I've tried).

I always assumed these services only had one file and metedata determined/applied HDR/DV when appropriate.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #13631 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 180
That's pretty interesting. I have Star Trek Beyond in 4K. Have to check that out.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #13632 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
I’m having the same problem. I’m not on beta, though. I watched Shape of Water a few days ago and wasn’t getting subtitles when Russian was being spoken. I had it set to auto, but tried English as well. That made subtitles appear for even the English speaking parts. I noticed this problem before with another movie, but can’t think of it right now. Has to just be a bug, I hope.
Just watched is this weekend in HDR10 and the subs were working fine both for Russian and for sign language with my ATV set to AUTO for subtitles.

I might behind on rev on firmware updates. I am not using beta firmware and got a note that the ATV failed to update recently (I do have auto update set to "on") so that might be different from your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
When I turn the output of the AppleTV4k to 4kSDR will i get Rec709 or BT2020 color gamut?
Yes, unless, as noted by another poster, you have match dynamic range on and the content is HDR2020 and your TV can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Interesting, iTunes has different encodes of a film depending on whether you are watching in DV/HDR or not.
That is super interesting and definitive proof and I am really glad to see this documented -- so we know that they aren't just creating an SDR4k image on the fly with tone mapping that might or might not be what the content creator intended.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #13633 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Well, technically it is proof for just Star Trek Beyond but, if they are doing it for one...

I was just doing some DV vs SDR scene comparisons when I noticed the burned in subtitles only appearing on the DV version.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #13634 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I'm going to bring home my first oled tomorrow and would like to get aheads up on the proper settings on my ATV4k to be able to see all content including DV if possible.I don't anticipate using the internal apps.Right now fwiw I have it set to 4k sdr and match range on. Just trying to see what changes need to be made once I setup the oled.thanks

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #13635 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
I'm going to bring home my first oled tomorrow and would like to get aheads up on the proper settings on my ATV4k to be able to see all content including DV if possible.I don't anticipate using the internal apps.Right now fwiw I have it set to 4k sdr and match range on. Just trying to see what changes need to be made once I setup the oled.thanks
those settings should work. you'll just need to do the cable test to unlock the DV on the ATV
nathan_h likes this.
post #13636 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Well, technically it is proof for just Star Trek Beyond but, if they are doing it for one...
The output of the HUD is the basis for all of my comments about source streams so supporting information is good to have.
Uppsalaing likes this.

post #13637 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
There are two issues:
  1. To find UHD content you have to look in the UHD section. This is noted in the first post.
  2. Even if you find the UHD version Amazon labeling doesn't always apply to the Apple TV.

Thanks. I still don’t see a way to search for UHD movies within amazon app. There is no Uhd section. Sorry if I’m being slow, but anyone know the best way to get to 4k uhd movies in Amazon and avoid the hd (when HD and Uhd is available obviously).

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
post #13638 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still don’t see a way to search for UHD movies within amazon app. There is no Uhd section.
You can't search*. The Prime Video display is row oriented. Much of the UHD content is in the row labeled 4K Ultra HD - in my Prime Video Home that's the fourth row. You can also scroll looking for [Ultra HD] in any row. As I said the labeling is generic rather than platform specific so items labeled [Ultra HD] or [HDR] might be in UHD/HDR e.g. Mozart in the Jungle or might not e.g. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. UHD/HDR content is also more likely to be AC-3 (Dolby Digital/5.1) but, again, the labels are generic.

Search this thread for Amazon or Prime Video for previous discussions/complaints about this.

*Okay you can search but the results are useless. E.g. the search "hdr on amazon prime" returns The Tick but not the 4K-HDR version.
rlb and gnolivos like this.

post #13639 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Ok so I guess we have to wait till amazon sorts this out. It really sucks for those of us with 4k displays. I have a 8 foot screen via 4k projector so yeah uhd is noticeable better improvement. Thanks for the help. Will sit tight.

post #13640 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Thought I had bought a great streamer. Set up went fine. Watched a 4K movie on it. Been watching basketball for 10 days. Come back to ATV 4K 32 GB and CAN’T login to Netflix. 15 attempts. Resets, etc. can’t log in to HBOGO, Showtime or STARZ even though I did the universal Directv login during setup. This could be Directv f****** with me. Have the everything package but their billing system probably bilks subscribers out of $500 M a year based on my overcharges that I constantly have to call and get corrected. Anyone else had login issues with the new Apple?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #13641 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Apple Software Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
That's certainly the case. However my response was to a specific set of complaints offered in support of the thesis that Apple quality has declined. I.e. the device is malfunctioning because of poor software. Assuming current production software that's unlikely absent a hardware fault and I believe there's been one report in this thread of someone getting a defective ATV4K.

I thin all the rest of the reported ATV4K defects have resolved to another component.

Yes, an issue can resolve to an ATV4K defect but at this point it's more efficient to assume the flaw is elsewhere. Or that you've enabled HDMI-CEC.
As the person who started (I think) this particular conversation, I'd just like to include a couple of links to back up my general point.

Apple software quality has been poor, compared to what it once was, for so long that people may not realize it. A good recent example is an iOS 11 display bug actually made it into an Apple ad. [Had to remove link since haven't reached 5 posts yet. Will put into separate post.]

The Mac Performance Guide site has been covering this issue for several years under the tag "Apple Core Rot".
[Link removed, see comment above]

Sony XBR-55A1E, Apple TV 4K, Yamaha RX-A850, 4xJBL 100, Definitive Centre
post #13642 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeloid View Post
As the person who started (I think) this particular conversation, I'd just like to include a couple of links to back up my general point.

Apple software quality has been poor, compared to what it once was, for so long that people may not realize it. A good recent example is an iOS 11 display bug actually made it into an Apple ad. [Had to remove link since haven't reached 5 posts yet. Will put into separate post.]

The Mac Performance Guide site has been covering this issue for several years under the tag "Apple Core Rot".
[Link removed, see comment above]
Here are the links

iOS display bug makes in into an Apple ad
https://www.geek.com/tech/apple-prob...-x-ad-1734343/

Apple Core Rot
https://macperformanceguide.com/topi...leCoreRot.html

post #13643 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Ok so I guess we have to wait till amazon sorts this out. It really sucks for those of us with 4k displays. I have a 8 foot screen via 4k projector so yeah uhd is noticeable better improvement. Thanks for the help. Will sit tight.
That may be a long wait. This is how Amazon has been form the start on all devices.

Just have to manually scroll till you get to a UHD row and then scroll till you find the content you want in that row.
Cheezmo, rlb and naustin like this.
post #13644 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Is the only way to program the ATV remote to control a Denon AVR volume with HDMI CEC?
Don't know if you can do that, but if your receiver uses IR for its remote, you can train the Siri Remote to use IR to control the volume. It works on my Yamaha.
Craig Mecak and Keenan like this.

post #13645 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi quick question about 4K SDR on Apple TV 4K:

When set to 4K SDR video output does the Apple TV send the 4K SDR in Rec709 colourspace? Also, does it use 4:2:0 10Bit?

Thank you
post #13646 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes 709.

No, it is 8 bit.
post #13647 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Awesome thank you!

Also, another question can I set the AppleTV 4K to output 4K SDR 10Bit RGB? So when I stream 10Bit content I have stored locally it is displayed correctly?

Last edited by HDTV EAT CASH; 03-19-2018 at 11:09 PM.
post #13648 of 23795 Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeloid View Post
Don't know if you can do that, but if your receiver uses IR for its remote, you can train the Siri Remote to use IR to control the volume. It works on my Yamaha.
Yes, got it working the other day, thanks!

CEC is a horror show and I was definitely not going to go that route.
leonmckee likes this.
post #13649 of 23795 Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I have been using the NEST app to stream camera views to a TV

after about one hour of streaming, the Apple 4K TV would show the spinning wheel and lose the camera view, even though the camera view stayed on my iPad NEST app

the only way it would work reliably was to reduce the NEST camera resolution to low: PQ was terrible

I have gigabit ethernet from FIOS: also tried it on a fast Comcast ethernet feed: same issue

hooked up an Nvidia Shield:it worked flawlessly with the NEST camera set to high resolution: it even worked flawlessly with the Shield using wifi as the feed

I think there must be some throttling of the Apple stream....this experience shows me the Shield is a better product, at least for my application

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #13650 of 23795 Old 03-20-2018, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I’ve been having issues with my soundbar and starting videos on ATV4K. Everything is hdcp2.2 compatible and it the tv tells me it lost a signal. Anything I should do to fix it? My HDMI cables are all up to date and once I get the program to steam everything is fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page