Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 719 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27780Likes

post #21541 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
HBO is rumored to be releasing 4K assets possibly coinciding with the roll-out of the WarnerMedia streaming service.
Interesting. Where have you seen that rumor? It makes sense. I've been thinking that 2019 might finally be the year that HBO (not to mention Showtime and Starz) embraces 4K and/or 4K HDR, at least in their OTT apps. In HBO's case, I wonder if access to 4K will be restricted to subscribers of the top (i.e. most expensive) tier of the upcoming WarnerMedia service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21542 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Plex is only a server and a front end for hosting media and adding metadata.

MakeMKV is what many use and I use to do full 1:1 backups and then if people want to do another round of compression of the media, they use Handbrake. Most Blu-rays have lossless audio tracks which Plex/Infuse/MrMC will decode on the Apple TV but you are wanting to specifically get lossy DD+ audio?

No I'd prefer lossless, I'd want DD+ at a minimum but that's only a function of streaming anyway, not Blu Ray-my bad.
post #21543 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:

MakeMKV is what many use and I use to do full 1:1 backups and then if people want to do another round of compression of the media, they use Handbrake. Most Blu-rays have lossless audio tracks which Plex/Infuse/MrMC will decode on the Apple TV but you are wanting to specifically get lossy DD+ audio?

And Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21544 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6274 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Interesting. Where have you seen that rumor? It makes sense. I've been thinking that 2019 might finally be the year that HBO (not to mention Showtime and Starz) embraces 4K and/or 4K HDR, at least in their OTT apps. In HBO's case, I wonder if access to 4K will be restricted to subscribers of the top (i.e. most expensive) tier of the upcoming WarnerMedia service?

Considering some shows on the different networks (Starz for example) have 4K versions of their shows overseas it wouldn’t surprise me. Star Trek Discovery is 1080p HDR on NetFlix across the pond as well. Hopefully they start bringing some of their products to the IS this year as well. I’ve seen some of ST and it is beautiful and a show that deserves the HDR grade.
post #21545 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Considering some shows on the different networks (Starz for example) have 4K versions of their shows overseas it wouldn’t surprise me. Star Trek Discovery is 1080p HDR on NetFlix across the pond as well. Hopefully they start bringing some of their products to the IS this year as well. I’ve seen some of ST and it is beautiful and a show that deserves the HDR grade.
Yes. A lot of shows from those premium providers were shot and mastered in 4K over the past few years. Masters of Sex, for instance, which ran on Showtime from 2013-16, is available in 4K.

Interesting that Netflix is streaming ST Discovery in 1080p HDR rather than 4K HDR. They offer very, very little in 1080p HDR, at least in the US.
post #21546 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:

Very tedious and time consuming though.
post #21547 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 98
"tedious and time consuming though."

Not to mention cost. Hard drives, network storage hardware, etc.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #21548 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 2454
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I just pop the disc in and let it do a full backup in the background while I am working or playing a game and being able to watch full quality Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays with lossless audio and Dolby Vision on any TV including my iPad (no DV on the Apple TV and iPad but it is on my 4K BD players) without dealing with discs is 100% worth it for me.
post #21549 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just pop the disc in and let it do a full backup in the background while I am working or playing a game and being able to watch full quality Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays with lossless audio and Dolby Vision on any TV including my iPad (no DV on the Apple TV and iPad but it is on my 4K BD players) without dealing with discs is 100% worth it for me.
Hmm, you don't transcode later to cut down the file size, like Handbrake?

Also I thought people were having problems ripping UHD BDs and then retaining the DV metadata?

And how do you play these files with DV metadata? Which models of 4K BD players will play back rips and render DV?
post #21550 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post

The cost isn’t really that bad depending on how much storage you need. Many people repurpose old hardware and just stick new hard drives in. As far as tome goes UHDBRs take the longest and you can do multiple at one time. In the end it’s not for everyone, but the hardest part is learning how to do things, once that’s done it’s fairly easy to set up and keep on doing.
post #21551 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Also I thought people were having problems ripping UHD BDs and then retaining the DV metadata?

And how do you play these files with DV metadata? Which models of 4K BD players will play back rips and render DV?

Why would you need to? The remaining questions are best asked in the “ripping” thread not ATV thread.
post #21552 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it would be great if there was an Apple TV 4K app. which would play back those 4K rips with DV metadata.
post #21553 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post

The NAS and drives were a small fraction of what I have invested in my systems and it benefits them all.

Quote:

I just do a full 1:1 backup with the folders in tact and no conversion. Infuse on the Apple TV will read the folders and just play the movie with lossless audio but it falls back to HDR10. My Oppo 203s read the full movie along with the DV metadata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The cost isn’t really that bad depending on how much storage you need. Many people repurpose old hardware and just stick new hard drives in. As far as tome goes UHDBRs take the longest and you can do multiple at one time. In the end it’s not for everyone, but the hardest part is learning how to do things, once that’s done it’s fairly easy to set up and keep on doing.
Yeah, the cost really isn't bad, especially if you shop around. You are indeed correct, it is just a matter of doing the research up front and it is real simple. I find myself watching my movies more since I can put one on the Apple TV in my home office in the background or even when I am in other rooms.
post #21554 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah the now-rare Oppo.

Hmm, they really need an Apple TV app. which will playback DV from rips.

I'm also curious with such large files, there's no buffering when streaming it wirelessly?

That is why if the UHD BD disc gives you a digital copy which is "good enough" that's going to appeal to the mass market, just like MP3 dominated digital audio over lossless formats.

I posted an example of a UHD BD release where the disc is only HDR10 but the digital copy that comes with that release, which turns out to be Incredibles 2, has DV and Dolby Atmos!
post #21555 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah the now-rare Oppo.

Hmm, they really need an Apple TV app. which will playback DV from rips.

I'm also curious with such large files, there's no buffering when streaming it wirelessly?

That is why if the UHD BD disc gives you a digital copy which is "good enough" that's going to appeal to the mass market, just like MP3 dominated digital audio over lossless formats.

I posted an example of a UHD BD release where the disc is only HDR10 but the digital copy that comes with that release, which turns out to be Incredibles 2, has DV and Dolby Atmos!
Everything is wired except my office Apple TV (other two Apple TVs are wired) and I have tested playing 3 seperate 4K BD streams to the Oppos and a Apple TV with no issue. The iPad buffers occasionally but it may be Infuse for iOS since I can pull 500mbps+ with speed tests and also the Apple TV in my office is further away and is on WiFi and experiences no buffering.

iTunes is excellent quality and arguably the best alongside Movies Anywhere and I agree it is totally good enough for a vast majority, just not for me.

I own Incredibles 2 on 4K Blu-ray and much prefer to watch it in HDR10 there for TrueHD/Atmos vs DD+/Atmos and lower bitrate Vudu since Movies Anywhere doesn't have DV currently and iTunes doesn't have it in 4K.
galonzo likes this.
post #21556 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 06:20 PM

MakeMKV is what many use and I use to do full 1:1 backups and then if people want to do another round of compression of the media, they use Handbrake. Most Blu-rays have lossless audio tracks which Plex/Infuse/MrMC will decode on the Apple TV but you are wanting to specifically get lossy DD+ audio? Very tedious and time consuming though.

Quote:

YES, EXACTLY! Is there a better way? Glancing at the MakeMKV thread, it seems overly complicated?
post #21557 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Okay, I think I 've got how to rip using MakeMKV. Can someone recommend the fastest/most reliable Blu RAy drive to rip Blu rays- I'll be using a MacMini- thanks!
post #21558 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Okay, I think I 've got how to rip using MakeMKV. Can someone recommend the fastest/most reliable Blu RAy drive to rip Blu rays- I'll be using a MacMini- thanks!
For regular Blu-rays on a Mac Mini just look for the cheapest USB external one with good reviews. It is only for 4K Blu-rays that you have a short list of BD XL (not UHD) drives which are supported.

I highly recommend using Infuse on the Apple TV once you have them ripped. It is highly flexible in that it can reference a Plex server or just NFS, SMB, etc. shares. The Apple TV also has a great upscaler and using Infuse on the Apple TV with 1080p movies, it does a great job upscaling.
Brian Hampton and galonzo like this.
post #21559 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:

So once I've made the MKV files how do I get them to Plex on the Apple TV? If the files are on a HD or a USB key, Can I plug them into my AVR, or are they in Itunes on My Mac, which is connected to the Apple TV- or how do I get the ATV4K to see the files? Than k you
post #21560 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
For regular Blu-rays on a Mac Mini just look for the cheapest USB external one with good reviews. It is only for 4K Blu-rays that you have a short list of BD XL (not UHD) drives which are supported.

I highly recommend using Infuse on the Apple TV once you have them ripped. It is highly flexible in that it can reference a Plex server or just NFS, SMB, etc. shares. The Apple TV also has a great upscaler and using Infuse on the Apple TV with 1080p movies, it does a great job upscaling.

OK great, thanks so much! How does infuse see my files? Where do I plug the HD with the files in? And which drives do support 4K? "(It is only for 4K Blu-rays that you have a short list of BD XL (not UHD) drives which are supported.)" I'll play with HD blu ray first before going 4K.
post #21561 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 PM

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
What is the current preferred media server (eg, a dlna server or something with more features like the server version of Plex) for streaming video files from a Mac to the ATV?

Primarily, I'm interested in streaming 1080p MKV files I have made, to an ATV4K.

I realize the answer may change a bit based on which app I am using. I have Plex and mrMC installed on my ATV. I have a preference for a media server that complies with DLNA, so that I could on occasion use other devices (eg, blu ray player) to bring up media, as well.

A quick search of this thread shows 99 posts about client apps for every one that mentions the server. And the server that gets mentioned most appears to be Plex. So that is my default choice unless there is a better one that has gone under the radar.
"

Are people usually streaming from the MAc or is there a way to plug the drive with MKV files directly into the AVR or AppleTV and by pass the MAc? I also have an Oppo 103 but the interface is a bit slow for streaming files, at least for music. I see I can use either Infuse or Plex.
post #21562 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
I would check two different things to verify if you are in fact missing some audio from the rear surrounds. First, I would test by not using the AVRkey and plugging the ATV direct into your Emotiva and check the audio. You won’t get the 4K video during the test but you should be able to tell if the AVRkey is cutting off your rear surrounds for some reason. Second, I would test with material you know has active rear surround information. Do you have any action movies you know to have sound in the rears you could test? If you hear sound when not using the AVRkey and then don’t hear it when you do then you know the AVRkey is the problem. The rear surrounds typically receive the least amount of sound in a 7.1 mix so it’s possible there just isn’t much if any in the mix even if all the channels are working fine. Do some testing and if the AVRkey is the problem you will need to push HDFury to resolve it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. HDFury suggested the same thing as you, but for some reason, last night, i couldn't get the Apple TV to work directly with the Emotiva...even though i set things to 1080p SDR 60hz, i got this pink screen showing up with a weird resolution of 1920x2160 33hz...very bizarre. thankfully, i found via web search a way to force the apple tv to cycle through different formats:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8083197

in the end, for whatever reason, it landed on 1080p 60hz SDR (which i had set manually) and i could see the apple and accept the setting.

anyway, what this test confirmed is that for whatever reason, Apple is sending a container with 7.1 channels, but it appears there is no information in the two rear channels. (that was the hypothesis of someone on the Emotiva forum)

EDIT: i actually found a movie in my collection that has 7.1 info in DD+ : Monsters, Inc. it shows all 7 channels active on the Emotiva, and i get sound out of all 7 channels. so i guess its rare, but available... surprised a new movie like Star is Born wouldn't have 7.1 info...

anyway, i guess its good to confirm that the Emotiva is doing its job properly. it would be nice though if Apple/iTunes would send a 5.1 container of audio data rather than 7.1 with 2 channels empty...
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by Derek87; 03-23-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: retraced question since i found a movie with 7.1 audio that works...
post #21563 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes you install Plex Media Server to a computer, to the browser. Then you point it at a drive or a directory where you have your movie and TV show files and let it scan it. It will identify it and sort it and download metadata like episode summaries and poster art.

It's not foolproof though, as you may have to manually match and change some of the tags to make sure it's recognized correctly. You can Google for how to correct or manually MATCH shows or movies.

Then on Apple TV you download the Plex app. You have to create a Plex account which is free. They try to upsell you on a premium account but you don't need it to stream your own media. So once you log in with your Plex account on the computer running Plex Server and on the app on Apple TV (or on a browser on a computer or iPhone or iPad apps., also Android versions).

So as long as the Plex app. on the Apple TV and the server are on the same home network, they will see each other and have no problems streaming.

For streaming from outside the home on a phone or tablet, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router. I haven't bothered to do this. If I expect to watch a lot of content from outside the home, I just download it to my iPad to the VLC app, which sees the Plex server while on the same home network. Then I just download enough shows and movies.
post #21564 of 23701 Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
If I take my ATV4k , US model and US Apple account, in a trip to South America, will I be able to rent ITUNES movies ? I know that HBO GO doesn't allow me to watch anything outside US. Thanks for any help.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #21565 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Yes you install Plex Media Server to a computer, to the browser. Then you point it at a drive or a directory where you have your movie and TV show files and let it scan it. It will identify it and sort it and download metadata like episode summaries and poster art.

It's not foolproof though, as you may have to manually match and change some of the tags to make sure it's recognized correctly. You can Google for how to correct or manually MATCH shows or movies.

Then on Apple TV you download the Plex app. You have to create a Plex account which is free. They try to upsell you on a premium account but you don't need it to stream your own media. So oncyou log in with your Plex account on the computer running Plex Server and on the app on Apple TV (or on a browser on a computer or iPhone or iPad apps., also Android versions).

So as long as the Plex app. on the Apple TV and the server are on the same home network, they will see each other and have no problems streaming.

For streaming from outside the home on a phone or tablet, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router. I haven't bothered to do this. If I expect to watch a lot of content from outside the home, I just download it to my iPad to the VLC app, which sees the Plex server while on the same home network. Then I just download enough shows and movies.
Cool,thank you!!! Im excited totally be doing this!
post #21566 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:

YES, EXACTLY! Is there a better way? Glancing at the MakeMKV thread, it seems overly complicated?
MakeMKV isn't very complicated. But, is there a better way? I say yes. If you don't mind streaming quality then just. buy everything in iTunes or sign up for a couple of premium streaming services like Netflix, Stars, or HBO.

I think Starz has over a thousand movies. Vudu has a large set of free movies if you don't mind commercials.

I did rip 1400 Blu Rays and put them in large storage containers and I still have them. However, I'm thrilled when something I backed up comes up at $4.99 on iTunes and I'm already down from 1400 to 1000 as my iTunes collection grows.

If you don't like iTunes then Vudu is good. You an keep the movies you have obviously.

Old movies I have backed up like the Austin Powers collection I have no desire to snap up even at $4.99 (maybe if they were 4K... 4K at $4.99 tends to be a buy for me.)

If I had an ATV4K a few years ago I don't think I would have 4 NAS units with 4x4TB drives.... In other words if I had it to do over I would have been streaming long ago.

-Brian
post #21567 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Cool,thank you!!! Im excited totally be doing this!
Dr Steve, one wrinkle,.. it's kind of a secret but the working version of Plex on ATV is called infuse.

You can try both the ATV Plex app and infuse ... I think you will stick with infuse.
post #21568 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I did rip 1400 Blu Rays and put them in large storage containers and I still have them. However, I'm thrilled when something I backed up comes up at $4.99 on iTunes and I'm already down from 1400 to 1000 as my iTunes collection grows.

-Brian

I think md2d at $2 per title and focusing on MA only would be a better option for you than waiting for it to go on sale in iTunes. You are allowed 100 per year.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #21569 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 AM

[QUOTE=Brian Hampton;57795522]Dr Steve, one wrinkle,.. it's kind of a secret but the working version of Plex on ATV is called infuse.

You can try both the ATV Plex app and infuse ... I think you will stick with infuse.[/QUOT

Thanks, I downloaded Infuse last night. And quality is extremely important-I have a new Sony65A9F OLED, and a very high end sound system with a new Yamaha 4K 3080 AVR- so I want max video, max sound. I have 600 or so blu Rays whcih I'd prefer not to buy over again on itunes, in any case sound is always better from Blu Ray (not pic though). I hate loading discs, ,takes too long- i have 100 movies in itunes, about the same in Prime which is great and I love DV- but as I say, I'd prefer to not have to buy the discs all over again.
post #21570 of 23701 Old 03-24-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I think md2d at $2 per title and focusing on MA only would be a better option for you than waiting for it to go on sale in iTunes. You are allowed 100 per year.

Excuse me, what is MD2D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page