Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 727 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27781Likes

post #21781 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Your issue is the reason why I use a top shelf distribution amplifier or matrix switch to separate the signal going to the display and the AVR vs. going through the AVR and then to the display. That way I can pass an unmolested video signal, and at the same time provide the AVR with all that it needs for audio, including lossless formats.

I just ran through several apps that support both HDR10 and DV playback, with Dynamic Range and Frame Rate matching set to on, and I am not experiencing any issues with the latest update. Although Apple usually doesn't provide release notes for tvOS, I suspect it is the new ATV app that is the major difference between 12.2 and 12.3.
It came back on its own after two days of not working. Stupid stupid AppleTV/Netflix app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I feel for ya. Stuff like this is maddening. I threw caution to the wind and went ahead and did the update tonight. Thank the ghost of Steve Jobs, I still get DV. :whew:

Uh oh. I can feel the torches getting lit and pitchforks gathered. Lol.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21782 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I'll take a few bugs if we get plenty of great updates.

And lately it's been plenty of great updates.
sonoftumble and mik2h like this.
post #21783 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
I reset the ATV in the main menu- RESET (NO UPDATES.) I'm now running 12.1.2, the same as I bought it, and the same as it will be for the next 20 years. ATV menu: general- about- and there is the TVOS version .

When my DV died this AM, I immediately ordered a new Apple TV to be delivered, in case this didn't work. Obviously the new one won't have the update. But I don't need it now.
I think the only problem you had was that after the update you should have enabled HDR again and had the AppleTV check your HDMI connection. The screen will go blank and prompt you with a message to select "Yes" if you see this menu. Sometimes HDMI sync can be so slow on some setups that you will just go black and not have time to select yes because the AppleTV times out before all your devices sync.

In these cases sometimes you have to blindly arrow up and select. The will tell AppleTV that your system supports 4k HDR and now you will get 4K HDR and DolbyVision back again on your library and other apps.

Sometimes after an update your original settings will change back to default and you must go through the process of re-authotizing the HDMI connection for your AppleTV. Once you do this, everything should be fine. I don't think there is really any issue here. It can be annoying but most of the annoyance is coming from stubborn HDMI syncing and Apple setting to fast of a timeout time on the prompt screen.
brotony and Seadaddy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21784 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I think the only problem you had was that after the update you should have enabled HDR again and had the AppleTV check your HDMI connection. The screen will go blank and prompt you with a message to select "Yes" if you see this menu. Sometimes HDMI sync can be so slow on some setups that you will just go black and not have time to select yes because the AppleTV times out before all your devices sync.

In these cases sometimes you have to blindly arrow up and select. The will tell AppleTV that your system supports 4k HDR and now you will get 4K HDR and DolbyVision back again on your library and other apps.

Sometimes after an update your original settings will change back to default and you must go through the process of re-authotizing the HDMI connection for your AppleTV. Once you do this, everything should be fine. I don't think there is really any issue here. It can be annoying but most of the annoyance is coming from stubborn HDMI syncing and Apple setting to fast of a timeout time on the prompt screen.
I didn't have this problem with defaults or losing HDR after the update.

But I wondered the same for those having it. I've done this before though it wasn't needed and had to reset default to 4K SDR after enabling it. Good exercise, I guess. And good point to bring up. Imho.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #21785 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 806
I checked my settings after each of my many resets and still am unable to pass Dolby Vision through my Onkyo. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos was working for weeks through my Onkyo prior to this update. For some reason what ever was changed altered what my Onkyo “sees” and now neither Dolby Vision nor Dolby Atmos function properly.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #21786 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
It came back on its own after two days of not working. Stupid stupid AppleTV/Netflix app.
I don't think it was an AppleTV or Netflix thing. More likely it had something to do with planetary alignments!
Carbo likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #21787 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Now I'm confused about infuse.

I should (perhaps) have bought the pro version of 5 last year but I didn't realize I could do that so I subscribed for a year at 9.99

That's almost over. ...

Now I see a pro version of 6 in the App Store... $25. and I was just about to buy that.

But ..... I also see a bundle of 5 pro and 6 pro called "upgrade" ... seriously strange. Why would that be a thing ?... ??//.... So confused... It looks like I can buy V6 pro for $25 and I bought a gift card in town to do that but this "upgrade" bundle is confusing me big time. Guess I ought to read on the fire core forums.

-Brian

edit- From reading the fire core website the upgrade bundle is supposed to be a discount... and now I see that it is $5 off. So if you already have V5 Pro you can get V6 for a discount... if it works like it says on the forum.

Brian, I’m in their beta program and have been testing 6 for a while now. Most of the big changes are behind the scenes stuff to the underlying architecture plus iCloud syncing. 6.1 adds a “new yadif deinterlacing on Apple TV 4K” for the player. I’m a lifetime owner and like to support it.
The pricing is confusing, always has been for me. Just send a PM on the Firecore site to “@James” and ask him what the best deal is for you. For me I just don’t like to “subscribe” to stuff, I want to own it and not worry about upgrades and such and he told me exactly what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #21788 of 23701 Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 2454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Denon mobile app also provides this information, very handy and much easier and quicker than drilling down into the Setup menu.
I have an older Marantz Pre-pro from 2015 that fortunately passes DV but both it's app and the "Denon app" don't show me video signal information, unless I am missing it.

(Also updated previous posts to make up for my mistake.)
galonzo likes this.
post #21789 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
you have a HDfury device that can spoof an EDID and a TV that supports both TV led and Player led Dolby Vision like the recent LG OLEDs do.
I finally got around to trying this and I got the same results. My Denon AVR is also capable of displaying the parameters of the two DoVi transports.

Apple provided this update (in the then current beta) a week after Sony admitted that their DoVi update wouldn't interoperate with any DoVi capable peripherals available at the time. Just sayin'.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #21790 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Brian, I’m in their beta program and have been testing 6 for a while now. Most of the big changes are behind the scenes stuff to the underlying architecture plus iCloud syncing. 6.1 adds a “new yadif deinterlacing on Apple TV 4K” for the player. I’m a lifetime owner and like to support it.
The pricing is confusing, always has been for me. Just send a PM on the Firecore site to “@James” and ask him what the best deal is for you. For me I just don’t like to “subscribe” to stuff, I want to own it and not worry about upgrades and such and he told me exactly what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last time I emailed James @ Firecore he didn't give me any better deal than what is posted at the site or on the app store. That's why I went with the one-time charge for version 5.
Brian Hampton likes this.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #21791 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Last time I emailed James @ Firecore he didn't give me any better deal than what is posted at the site or on the app store. That's why I went with the one-time charge for version 5.
In my case and I assume many others I wasn't as smart as you. I was confused by the many different subscription and purchase options. For example when I purchase my Lifetime version I saw a really cheap price as an in-app purchase (IIRC it was $14.00) on the ATV4K and another more expensive price for what sounded like the same thing on his site. He told me the cheap price on the ATV was just for the ATV while the more expensive one was for all iOS devices and recommended that I do that. In addition he gave me the upgrade price from version 4 which saved me a few bucks. So all in all he helped me. I think if they simplified their pricing structure it would be good for everyone including dummies like me. :-)
lujan likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #21792 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 527
What are the correct 4K Apple TV settings using a LG E6 and a Marantz 8805? I currently have it set to 4K SDR @60hz and frame rate and dynamic range are both on. I not have HDR enabled but was told that with these settings I would still see HDR correctly, which makes zero sense to me. Thanks for any help or explanation. Dave
post #21793 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
What are the correct 4K Apple TV settings using a LG E6 and a Marantz 8805? I currently have it set to 4K SDR @60hz and frame rate and dynamic range are both on. I not have HDR enabled but was told that with these settings I would still see HDR correctly, which makes zero sense to me. Thanks for any help or explanation. Dave

You have the correct settings, when you play HDR (HDR10 or DV) your tv will automatically switch to that mode.
galonzo likes this.
post #21794 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Hi,

I'm not the only one who got confused by infuse pricing. The forum is full of people confused about it. And, several angry or frustrated people.

Thankfully,... I love infuse so I purchased the V6 pro stand alone and I think I'm done and now I own a use-able and great version of infuse that should last me. I bet V5 would have been fine but since I didn't already have that one I just opted for V6.

I've re-audit-ed the things I have on my own server and it's nice to see various things that are generally hard to find elsewhere.

My main collection is in iTunes now and I have access to much more via things like streaming channels. The combination of iTunes and infuse makes for a very complete and capable setup. I still have a UHD disc player hooked up it's always good to be prepared for anything and the UHD player I bought does just about everything (UHDBD, 3DBD, BD, DVD, CD, SACD) apart from being region free. I can't remember when I last used it though.

-Brian
post #21795 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You have the correct settings, when you play HDR (HDR10 or DV) your tv will automatically switch to that mode.
Thank you very much
post #21796 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Same settings I use. Didn't have a problem with DV before update.Dont have any problems after update either.Dont know why some have had problems with DV after update. If I followed this thread correctly.
galonzo likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #21797 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have an older Marantz Pre-pro from 2015 that fortunately passes DV but both it's app and the "Denon app" don't show me video signal information, unless I am missing it.

(Also updated previous posts to make up for my mistake.)
It may be for more recent models only.

The app I'm using is this one.

I'm assuming the Marantz version would be this one.

There are iOS versions as well. As they have "2016" in the name it may be that your model is a year too old. I would ask about it in the Marantz thread for your model.

When the app opens you have the first screen, then you have to touch the "More" button in the lower right and you get the popup seen in the next image, touch AVR Info and you get that Info screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0844.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2546424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0845.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2546426  

Last edited by Keenan; 03-30-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #21798 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I hooked my ATV 4K to an old Samsung LCD which is hdr capable but not DV. I tried all the possible combinations, setting it to 4K HDR, 4K SDR, matching everything on or off. This is the result:

4K SDR matching everything ON: No HDR on HDR material. Everything is converted to 4K on 1080P material. Seems the ATV is not respecting match on and sends everything 4K SDR.

4K HDR matching on or off: everything is shown in HDR 4K, period.

On my Sony TV everything works as they should.

It looks like the new update broke video settings on some models of TVs and/or receivers.
bguzman likes this.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #21799 of 23701 Old 03-30-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I’m having problems after updating to 12.2 as well. First, the remote app on my iPhone no longer sees any of our Apple TVs after updating them all.

Tonight I discovered a problem with Dolby Vision. DV content will play and DV engages correctly but, when stoping playback an when DV disengages, I get just a black screen. I have to hit the Home button on my TCL TV remote and then choose the input of the ATV to get the picture back. Apple screwed something up with this update. I’ve disable match dynamic range for now because of this issue.

My ATV runs through my Denon S930H then goes to my TCL 55P605.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #21800 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Tonight I discovered a problem with Dolby Vision. DV content will play and DV engages correctly but, when stoping playback an when DV disengages, I get just a black screen. I have to hit the Home button on my TCL TV remote and then choose the input of the ATV to get the picture back. Apple screwed something up with this update. I’ve disable match dynamic range for now because of this issue.
FWIW, my TCL 55R615 became unable to switch from DV back to SDR from my Apple TV 4K when the TV upgraded to Roku 9.0.0. This was before I upgraded the Apple TV to 12.2.
galonzo likes this.
post #21801 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you’re using the “latest” released firmware those are betas. You’re potentially going to have issues.
post #21802 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneslayer View Post
FWIW, my TCL 55R615 became unable to switch from DV back to SDR from my Apple TV 4K when the TV upgraded to Roku 9.0.0. This was before I upgraded the Apple TV to 12.2.

Hmmm, just checked my TCL and it updated to 9.0.0 on 3/26. I didn’t even know it had updated. I update my ATV a few days after that but I’m not sure I even tried to watch DV content between both updates. Was out of town for work for a few days.

So now I’m not sure which firmware may have caused the issue. This wouldn’t be the first time a Roku update has messed something up on my TV.

Have you resolved the issue on your TV? I’m guessing there is no way to revert Roku TVs to a previous firmware?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #21803 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Have you resolved the issue on your TV?
No, I just disabled DV on the Apple TV 4K. My internet connection is only 10 Mbps (rural wireless ISP), so no streaming content comes in with DV anyway. I figured I'd try again once I get another Roku update, but that hasn't happened yet.

I do use DV on my Philips BDP7502 UHD Blu-ray player, and that has continued to work normally.
galonzo likes this.
post #21804 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 806
After way to many resets to count my ATV4k works fine directly to my TCL 55P605 and passes DV. If I connect it to my AVR, TX-NR787, I am unable to pass DV as it is absent form my video options. All other equipment passes DV as expected.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #21805 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have a question regarding .TS file with DV playback using Infuse. Honestly I do not use my ATV4K that much. My LG B7 has most of the apps that I use regularly.
I read about the latest update for the ATV4K and Infuse (lifetime PRO). I updated the ATV4K and found that Infuse had already been updated to version 6. I went through my settings on the ATV4K did the DV authorization process successfully and rest video settings to 4K SDR and match frame and dynamic range to on.
After the discussion of DV issues I decided to try it out. I used a couple ,TS files from LG demo clips. All I get is a blank black screen for video, but sound plays fine.
Now these files play fine on both the LG 65B7 TV (USB drive with internal media player) and through my Oppo 203 over the network. Does the ATV4K using Infuse have known limitations playing .TS (HEVC) DV files?

Being curious about DV in general with the new configuration, I found a Netflix movie with DV. It did play fine and I got the DV badge on playback. So DV is not entirely broken with the latest firmware for me.
BTW, this is with the ATV4K connected to a Denon X6400H and from there out to the LG.

Last edited by ppasteur; 03-31-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #21806 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
If you’re using the “latest” released firmware those are betas. You’re potentially going to have issues.
The people encountering the issues are not on the beta.
post #21807 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I have a question regarding .TS file with DV playback using Infuse. Honestly I do not use my ATV4K that much. My LG B7 has most of the apps that I use regularly.
I read about the latest update for the ATV4K and Infuse (lifetime PRO). I updated the ATV4K and found that Infuse had already been updated to version 6. I went through my settings on the ATV4K did the DV authorization process successfully and rest video settings to 4K SDR and match frame and dynamic range to on.
After the discussion of DV issues I decided to try it out. I used a couple ,TS files from LG demo clips. All I get is a blank black screen for video, but sound plays fine.
Now these files play fine on both the LG 65B7 TV (USB drive with internal media player) and through my Oppo 203 over the network. Does the ATV4K using Infuse have known limitations playing .TS (HEVC) DV files?

Being curious about DV in general with the new configuration, I found a Netflix movie with DV. It did play fine and I got the DV badge on playback. So DV is not entirely broken with the latest firmware for me.
BTW, this is with the ATV4K connected to a Denon X6400H and from there out to the LG.

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe Infuse supports DV yet. Try via the internal media player of the LG and you should get DV playback.
post #21808 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I could be wrong, but I don’t believe Infuse supports DV yet. Try via the internal media player of the LG and you should get DV playback.

Yeah, as I mentioned, The TV media player does get DV from the files, as does the Oppo 203. So I do have options.
I was more curious to know whether this might be connected to the firmware update, as there has been several reports of DV issues after upgrading to 12.2.

I was not aware that Infuse does not play DV. Even more surprised that is cannot fallback to the base HDR10 layer. Of course these files may not contain that data.
post #21809 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, as I mentioned, The TV media player does get DV from the files, as does the Oppo 203. So I do have options.
I was more curious to know whether this might be connected to the firmware update, as there has been several reports of DV issues after upgrading to 12.2.

I was not aware that Infuse does not play DV. Even more surprised that is cannot fallback to the base HDR10 layer. Of course these files may not contain that data.

I haven’t been keeping up with the conversions, but I’m not sure they keep the HDR10 layer. You could always do a Mediainfo and check the file itself to see. I’ve been staying away as for DV movies I make ISO files in hopes one day we get media player playback without hoop jumping.
post #21810 of 23701 Old 03-31-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Infuse does fall back to the HDR10 base layer. I've watch a few of my DV encoded 4K Blu-rays through Infuse in HDR10.

If you are using DV demo clips, those are single layer whereas discs are dual layer with a HDR10 base layer and 1080p DV layer on top.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page