Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 739 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27805Likes

post #22141 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
@mutelight - thanks mate for that, my sanity remains at bay!

My Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4k player is configured to bitstream data to my prepro (via HDMI), so it's incumbent upon the Krell to properly decode any audio codec it is being sent, no PCM while watching any physical discs. But I'm still confused at your statement as it may be contradicting: aren't compressed and lossless at odds with each other? I thought that the Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio audio found on BluRays or some 4K discs are truly uncompressed and lossless by design.

The only duty the ATV4k has in my setup is Netflix and Prime streaming, don't have the time given my international travels to backup any DVD/BluRays discs...hence it seems I already have the recommended connections given my setup.

Thanks all who indulged my comments as of late!

Cheerio!
There can be lossless compression for audio. The audio is compressed but when unpacked/decoded it results in no quality loss. FLAC, ALAC, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all compressed but lossless.
rlb and galonzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
By no means I wish to sound vain or conceited, and apologies if I mistakenly come across that way...

...but my Krell Evolution 707 serves dual purposes: 2 ch music and HT duties, and both are superbly rendered. Getting another processor just so I can handle Atmos and latest video standards and maintain same level of sound purity & quality will be a futile effort...I've tried to replace it, but nothing came close, unless I spend mega bucks. Such is the case with these boutique audio shops unfortunately.

Moreover, funny you mentioned it, but I've tried hooking up an HDFury Vertex back in Feb, and while the TV did get all the video the ATV4k sent it, my prepro never got any sound. Hence my HDFury experience was lackluster.
i'm in similar shoes... for me, after months of debate, i got the HD Fury AVRkey for $120 on sale at Monoprice and decided to give it a whirl. it works as advertised...with switches properly set, (for me, the middle settings), i send audio to my Emotiva Processor (not 4k compatible) which feeds my Creek amp and front channels, and sends 4k HDR video to my TV.

how long ago did you try the Vertex. the HD Fury devices are a bit quirky, but i have to say the HDFury folks will try to work with you on getting things right as evidenced by the HD Fury forum which is very active.

in the end, i have seen a reasonable upgrade in sonics on some movies now that i can get set the ATV4k to "Best" rather than forced to 5.1. but i can't say it's as dramatic a difference as it is in going from streamed (DD5.1 or DD7.1+) to the uncompressed audio on a BR disc. i have yet to buy myself a UHD/4k player, but i am leaning that direction as i hate having to compromise between choosing for video quality (ATV) or audio quality (BR disc). now that Redbox near me is renting 4K discs so i think it's time to buy a player to take advantage of that option. (i buy/own discs, but not enough to make the purchase of a 4K player worthwhile if i can't rent them)

anyway, if you can buy the HD Fury dongle from a place that allows returns (Monoprice), for example, i'd suggest giving it another try. it really should work for you.

[one test you can run, which i did when i was trying to debug something, is to make sure you can run the ATV4k through your Krell (1080p video of course) and make sure that works properly. this is also one way you can test to see if you think the audio quality upgrade is worth it to buy an HD Fury product]
no_cure and galonzo like this.
post #22143 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
There can be lossless compression for audio. The audio is compressed but when unpacked/decoded it results in no quality loss. FLAC, ALAC, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all compressed but lossless.
Bollocks, they sure made a dog's diner out of that...using antonym words to describe something that, to me at least, has no middle ground. Is it compressed or isn't it? Kind of like...half pregnant.

Dench, but I get it...I've learnt something haven't I? I appreciate the info nonetheless mate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22144 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Bollocks, they sure made a dog's diner out of that...using antonym words to describe something that, to me at least, has no middle ground. Is it compressed or isn't it? Kind of like...half pregnant.
Hi, you probably got it already, but it is definitely compressed when the file is being transmitted or saved (the compressed part refers to the way the data in the file is stored, using methods that result in taking up less room so the file when it is stored or transmitted is smaller). Lossless refers to the fact that when the data in the file is read and utilized to reconstruct the sound, the data that went in originally is restored back to its former state (that is, it hasn't lost any information in the process). You can compare a file before and after being compressed bit by bit and confirm that it is identical. There are compression methods that do in fact cause the file to be different before and after, so they aren't called lossless. The language is a bit odd, but I think it communicates what is going on ok.
Mark
no_cure and galonzo like this.

System
Spoiler!
post #22145 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i'm in similar shoes... for me, after months of debate, i got the HD Fury AVRkey for $120 on sale at Monoprice and decided to give it a whirl. it works as advertised...with switches properly set, (for me, the middle settings), i send audio to my Emotiva Processor (not 4k compatible) which feeds my Creek amp and front channels, and sends 4k HDR video to my TV.

how long ago did you try the Vertex. the HD Fury devices are a bit quirky, but i have to say the HDFury folks will try to work with you on getting things right as evidenced by the HD Fury forum which is very active.

in the end, i have seen a reasonable upgrade in sonics on some movies now that i can get set the ATV4k to "Best" rather than forced to 5.1. but i can't say it's as dramatic a difference as it is in going from streamed (DD5.1 or DD7.1+) to the uncompressed audio on a BR disc. i have yet to buy myself a UHD/4k player, but i am leaning that direction as i hate having to compromise between choosing for video quality (ATV) or audio quality (BR disc). now that Redbox near me is renting 4K discs so i think it's time to buy a player to take advantage of that option. (i buy/own discs, but not enough to make the purchase of a 4K player worthwhile if i can't rent them)

anyway, if you can buy the HD Fury dongle from a place that allows returns (Monoprice), for example, i'd suggest giving it another try. it really should work for you.

[one test you can run, which i did when i was trying to debug something, is to make sure you can run the ATV4k through your Krell (1080p video of course) and make sure that works properly. this is also one way you can test to see if you think the audio quality upgrade is worth it to buy an HD Fury product]
That's a proper post mate!

I tried the original Vertex only a few months back in Feb. I'm chuffed now, I'll have a butcher's look at the HDFury offerings again...me thinks me Amazon Prime in me region has AVRKey or even the upcoming Maestro or 4k Vertex2 with a dedicated audio only HDMI port might do the trick.

What does your AVR show wrt audio codec when you feed it AVRKey? Is it Dolby Digital + (which is still lossless) or something better?
post #22146 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a proper post mate!

I tried the original Vertex only a few months back in Feb. I'm chuffed now, I'll have a butcher's look at the HDFury offerings again...me thinks me Amazon Prime in me region has AVRKey or even the upcoming Maestro or 4k Vertex2 with a dedicated audio only HDMI port might do the trick.

What does your AVR show wrt audio codec when you feed it AVRKey? Is it Dolby Digital + (which is still lossless) or something better?
if i understand correctly, the ATV decodes the DD+ signal and then sends LPCM data to my processor. my processor shows either 5 + LFE or 7 + LFE channels of LPCM information coming in. (i haven't gotten a straight answer from Apple, but it seems they are doing something funky with how they package 7 channels of information in some occasions. i have movies where i get nothing for my 2 rear surround channels even though my processor is showing that it has received RsR and RsL channels (nothing comes out). i think it is sending an "empty container" for those channels. (DD+ is lossy, but the processed signal the ATV sends, i believe is uncompressed)

Again, if you have the time, i'd test running the ATV4k through your Krell and see if you like the sound (and it behaves properly with "best audio") using the ATV4k in 1080p video mode. this will give you a good idea of what you should experience if you decide to buy an HD Fury product.

FWIW, Amazon, at least for me, sells HDFury products from Monoprice. i went with Monoprice directly since they had that nice sale (it seems they do these sales randomly every couple of months...mine was 20% off). i think Monoprice's return policy is 14 days...not sure if you would get 30 or more with an order being fulfilled by Amazon. (i figured 14 days was plenty time for me to decide whether it was working properly or not)
Brian Hampton and no_cure like this.
post #22147 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, you probably got it already, but it is definitely compressed when the file is being transmitted or saved (the compressed part refers to the way the data in the file is stored, using methods that result in taking up less room so the file when it is stored or transmitted is smaller). Lossless refers to the fact that when the data in the file is read and utilized to reconstruct the sound, the data that went in originally is restored back to its former state (that is, it hasn't lost any information in the process). You can compare a file before and after being compressed bit by bit and confirm that it is identical. There are compression methods that do in fact cause the file to be different before and after, so they aren't called lossless. The language is a bit odd, but I think it communicates what is going on ok.
Mark
Yes sir - I'm tracking with you, makes sense, thanks for taking the time to make this post!
markmanner likes this.
post #22148 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
if i understand correctly, the ATV decodes the DD+ signal and then sends LPCM data to my processor. my processor shows either 5 + LFE or 7 + LFE channels of LPCM information coming in. (i haven't gotten a straight answer from Apple, but it seems they are doing something funky with how they package 7 channels of information in some occasions. i have movies where i get nothing for my 2 rear surround channels even though my processor is showing that it has received RsR and RsL channels (nothing comes out). i think it is sending an "empty container" for those channels. (DD+ is lossy, but the processed signal the ATV sends, i believe is uncompressed)

Again, if you have the time, i'd test running the ATV4k through your Krell and see if you like the sound (and it behaves properly with "best audio") using the ATV4k in 1080p video mode. this will give you a good idea of what you should experience if you decide to buy an HD Fury product.

FWIW, Amazon, at least for me, sells HDFury products from Monoprice. i went with Monoprice directly since they had that nice sale (it seems they do these sales randomly every couple of months...mine was 20% off). i think Monoprice's return policy is 14 days...not sure if you would get 30 or more with an order being fulfilled by Amazon. (i figured 14 days was plenty time for me to decide whether it was working properly or not)
Yea, Monoprice isn't having any sales now unfortunately, and from what I've read the AVRKey heats up when playing LLDV 60Hz (Sony's version) signal. Do you have those issues in your setup?

So the last few posts have taught me something (besides the audio storage and compression file formats): I'm bound to have a better audio (less compression) should I be using some sort of HDMI audio extractor like HDFury offers for Netflix on ATV4k vs. relying on a mere optical cable (hope the 2nd time around HDFury product will work within my setup).

And thanks for the suggestion, most definitely, once I get back to the European continent, I shall be testing the ATV4k - Krell connection vs. going into the Sony TV first.

P.S. out of curiosity, won't my CA CXUHD player (Oppo's 203's cousin thrice removed and twice attached) act just like the HDFury AVRKey? It does have HDMI in and a dedicated HDMI audio port + HDMI video ...essentially what the AVRKey proposes to do. In that setup, the CXUHD will act as a HDMI audio extractor
post #22149 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Mark
The following is common knowledge for most people on a forum like this, but might be helpful for a few.

The word "compression" is used in two different ways, when describing recorded audio. Recording studios often use electronic devices or software that reduces dynamic range (difference between loudest and softest sounds). The original signal is modified for artistic or practical reasons. Pop music recordings use this form of compression because the artists think it creates a more uniformly powerful effect, or because the songs sound clearer when played back on earphones in a noisy environment. This type of compression is "lossy", since the output is a modified version of the input. Audiophiles don't like this type of compression because it can muddy the sound, and lose dynamic contrasts. Noise reduction systems (Dolby, etc.) also use this type of compression to prevent signals from exceeding the range of possible amplitudes in a recording media, but compatible playback equipment is capable of (mostly) restoring the original dynamic range.

The other type of compression is done simply to reduce the size of the data files, or the bit rate of streams. Encoding software removes redundant data, and inserts codes that tell the decoding software how to reconstruct the data. A lossless compression and decompression method (examples: FLAC, AAC) can perfectly restore the original recording, similar to unpacking a data file on your computer that was compressed with ZIP. Note that there are other recording formats which are not truly lossless, although advocates claim there are no perceptible damages (examples: MP3 and MQA). Some audiophiles dispute these claims.
galonzo and mik2h like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, Panasonic TC-P58VT25, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-205, Counterpoint SA-3000, Linn Sondek LP12, Ekos, Aragon 4004 Mk II, Acoustat 3, beer
post #22150 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea, Monoprice isn't having any sales now unfortunately, and from what I've read the AVRKey heats up when playing LLDV 60Hz (Sony's version) signal. Do you have those issues in your setup?

So the last few posts have taught me something (besides the audio storage and compression file formats): I'm bound to have a better audio (less compression) should I be using some sort of HDMI audio extractor like HDFury offers for Netflix on ATV4k vs. relying on a mere optical cable (hope the 2nd time around HDFury product will work within my setup).

And thanks for the suggestion, most definitely, once I get back to the European continent, I shall be testing the ATV4k - Krell connection vs. going into the Sony TV first.

P.S. out of curiosity, won't my CA CXUHD player (Oppo's 203's cousin thrice removed and twice attached) act just like the HDFury AVRKey? It does have HDMI in and a dedicated HDMI audio port + HDMI video ...essentially what the AVRKey proposes to do. In that setup, the CXUHD will act as a HDMI audio extractor
some answers...

- i have a Sony 900e TV which doesn't support DV, so i've been ok so far and had not problems of overheating.

- i'm not sure what you mean in your 2nd question. the AVR Key and vertex are HDMI Audio extractors. before getting the AVRKey, i used an optical audio cable from the TV feeding back into my Emotiva Processor. this only allowed me to get 2 channel LPCM signal from the ATV4k when i set the sound output to Best Available. the AVRKey solved this problem for me.

- if i recall, the CXUHD is identical to the Oppo 203. i don't have either, but from what i understood in my reading elsewhere, the Oppo didn't work in decoding the audio properly from the ATV4k. you can of course give it a try to see if it works for you, but i was led to believe that solution would not work. [i was waffling about getting an Oppo 203 for this purpose when they were still being sold, and just when i decided i should by the 203, just to have a robust UHD player, Oppo stopped selling them ]
post #22151 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:

Not if you want Atmos. ATV4K uses a LPCM type format that Oppo 203 can't handle. I'm not sure about non Atmos DD+ material. I have my Apple on an HDFury AVR-key and my Roku Ultra (HDR10 & DD+/Atmos) on my Oppo 203. Yes HDfury AVR-key gets hot and can get wonky after a couple of hours of continuous use for some people. I never do more than 4-5 hours
galonzo likes this.
post #22152 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchfungus View Post
The following is common knowledge for most people on a forum like this, but might be helpful for a few.

The word "compression" is used in two different ways, when describing recorded audio. Recording studios often use electronic devices or software that reduces dynamic range (difference between loudest and softest sounds). The original signal is modified for artistic or practical reasons. Pop music recordings use this form of compression because the artists think it creates a more uniformly powerful effect, or because the songs sound clearer when played back on earphones in a noisy environment. This type of compression is "lossy", since the output is a modified version of the input. Audiophiles don't like this type of compression because it can muddy the sound, and lose dynamic contrasts. Noise reduction systems (Dolby, etc.) also use this type of compression to prevent signals from exceeding the range of possible amplitudes in a recording media, but compatible playback equipment is capable of (mostly) restoring the original dynamic range.

The other type of compression is done simply to reduce the size of the data files, or the bit rate of streams. Encoding software removes redundant data, and inserts codes that tell the decoding software how to reconstruct the data. A lossless compression and decompression method (examples: FLAC, AAC) can perfectly restore the original recording, similar to unpacking a data file on your computer that was compressed with ZIP. Note that there are other recording formats which are not truly lossless, although advocates claim there are no perceptible damages (examples: MP3 and MQA). Some audiophiles dispute these claims.
post #22153 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Not if you want Atmos. ATV4K uses a LPCM type format that Oppo 203 can't handle. I'm not sure about non Atmos DD+ material. I have my Apple on an HDFury AVR-key and my Roku Ultra (HDR10 & DD+/Atmos) on my Oppo 203. Yes HDfury AVR-key gets hot and can get wonky after a couple of hours of continuous use for some people. I never do more than 4-5 hours
Can't and won't for the foreseeable future do Atmos. Best my prepro can do is Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio...

Checking out HDFury website, they seem to be coming out with new products like 4k Diva/Maestro/Vertex2 which have a dedicated HDMI Audio out port and probably fixed the overheating issues AVRKey had...and for those like me who care about 'plug-n-play', I just might wait and see how well received those new products are.

On a side note, has HDFury seemingly cornered the market on HDMI Extractor/ Spliter /Matrix products?
post #22154 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On a side note, has HDFury seemingly cornered the market on HDMI Extractor/ Spliter /Matrix products?
They make & support reasonably priced devices versus no-name fareast storefronts, so I would say yes. You often get what you pay for.
galonzo likes this.
post #22155 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDR10 LOGO question

Hello all. I'm streaming an Apple 4K tv and an Amazon Firestick through an oppo 203 and Yamaha receiver, into a new Sony OLED TV. Everything looks and sounds great, however, I recently just got some UHD disks. I noticed with the disks the OLED usually flashes an HDR10 logo when it detects them. I have NEVER seen an HDR10 logo with either streaming device, EXCEPT when there's Dolby Vision content. Then of course the TV flashes DV. So does this mean that there is NO HDR aside from Dolby Vision being streamed? Does anyone get an HDR10 logo flash from any streaming box? Thank you for answering. Yes I've tried feeding both boxes directly into the TV, never have seen an HDR10 logo with streaming content EXCEPT with Dolby Vision. (The UHDdiscs by the way are not Dolby Vision)
post #22156 of 23716 Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
By no means I wish to sound vain or conceited, and apologies if I mistakenly come across that way...

...but my Krell Evolution 707 serves dual purposes: 2 ch music and HT duties, and both are superbly rendered. Getting another processor just so I can handle Atmos and latest video standards and maintain same level of sound purity & quality will be a futile effort...I've tried to replace it, but nothing came close, unless I spend mega bucks. Such is the case with these boutique audio shops unfortunately.

Moreover, funny you mentioned it, but I've tried hooking up an HDFury Vertex back in Feb, and while the TV did get all the video the ATV4k sent it, my prepro never got any sound. Hence my HDFury experience was lackluster.
With the Vertex you want to connect the bottom output to your TV and the top output to your AVR. Then go into the Scaling tab of the Vertex GUI and have it downscale 4K to 1080p 8-bit for the top output to your AVR.
Brian Hampton, no_cure and galonzo like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #22157 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesshakti View Post
HDR10 LOGO question

Hello all. I'm streaming an Apple 4K tv and an Amazon Firestick through an oppo 203 and Yamaha receiver, into a new Sony OLED TV. Everything looks and sounds great, however, I recently just got some UHD disks. I noticed with the disks the OLED usually flashes an HDR10 logo when it detects them. I have NEVER seen an HDR10 logo with either streaming device, EXCEPT when there's Dolby Vision content. Then of course the TV flashes DV. So does this mean that there is NO HDR aside from Dolby Vision being streamed? Does anyone get an HDR10 logo flash from any streaming box? Thank you for answering. Yes I've tried feeding both boxes directly into the TV, never have seen an HDR10 logo with streaming content EXCEPT with Dolby Vision. (The UHDdiscs by the way are not Dolby Vision)
It's the Oppo 203, as I only get that when playing a HDR10 disc. Now in my particular setup, I run my TV 4K into my Onkyo TX-NR777 and not the back of the Oppo 203, which is also is directly connected to the 777.

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #22158 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
[QUOTE=no_cure;57959654

On a side note, has HDFury seemingly cornered the market on HDMI Extractor/ Spliter /Matrix products?[/QUOTE]

As a fan of HDFury, I would comment that their prices are reasonable (not the lowest nor highest), their products are great quality and they are very good at adding new features and fixing issues that many AVR manufacturers seem to create.
Last, their product and technical support are top notch.

If they haven’t cornered the market, they should!
post #22159 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Downloaded the new ATV4K beta firmware and all is well. I once again have Dolby Vision and Atmos when passing the signal through my Onkyo TX-NR787 to my TCL 55P605.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #22160 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 2449
Quote:
Yes HDfury AVR-key gets hot and can get wonky after a couple of hours of continuous use for some people. I never do more than 4-5 hours
Quote:
Checking out HDFury website, they seem to be coming out with new products like 4k Diva/Maestro/Vertex2 which have a dedicated HDMI Audio out port and probably fixed the overheating issues AVRKey had...and for those like me who care about 'plug-n-play', I just might wait and see how well received those new products are.

They've seemingly cornered the consumer space, but not necessarily the features and function space. There are U.S. based manufacturers out there that sell exclusively to pro installers/integrators. One particular company offers a 10 year non-prorated warranty and support is US based ( phone/email/chat ), and you don't have to translate "Chinglish" when visiting their web site. No overheating and lower prices. The boxes aren't as pretty, but I'll take function over form any day of the week.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22161 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Over time the iTunes prices can't be beat. They have fantastic sales. I have given up buying anything but iTunes movies.

However,... I am concerned about recent dis-appearing movies so I'm in a sort of moment of doubt myself.
This is why for movies that I REALLY want, I still buy the 4K UHD discs.
psuKinger and pappaduke like this.

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #22162 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
They've seemingly cornered the consumer space, but not necessarily the features and function space. There are U.S. based manufacturers out there that sell exclusively to pro installers/integrators. One particular company offers a 10 year non-prorated warranty and support is US based ( phone/email/chat ), and you don't have to translate "Chinglish" when visiting their web site. No overheating and lower prices. The boxes aren't as pretty, but I'll take function over form any day of the week.
Ok I'll bite. You say they sell exclusively to "pro installers/integrators" and that is probably why you don't provide a vendor link. If its vaporware to the AVS consumer who cares if its cheaper & better. IMHO.
post #22163 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I have an ATV 4K on the way. I bought it because both my TV and Shield do not support Netflix Atmos The ATV will take care of that.

From what I read, what the ATV lacks mostly compared to shield is ability to play Atmos from UHD rip since it does not have passthrough. Is this correct? Would the Pro version of Infuse do this? It states

"HD quality audio
Hear every detail with added support for 24-bit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio."
Westly-C likes this.
post #22164 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
I have an ATV 4K on the way. I bought it because both my TV and Shield do not support Netflix Atmos The ATV will take care of that.

From what I read, what the ATV lacks mostly compared to shield is ability to play Atmos from UHD rip since it does not have passthrough. Is this correct? Would the Pro version of Infuse do this? It states

"HD quality audio
Hear every detail with added support for 24-bit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio."
Don't know about that but the PQ is better with the ATV4K .

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #22165 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hello all there was a Tweet I found on Twitter and wanted to get your take. It says:

On getting Apple TV 4K to produce 4K:

From the retweeted thread:

“Best settings for all content is 4K SDR 60 hz, match frame rate on and match dynamic range on. This will play all content (both SDR and HDR) in their correct format without cross-converting one or the other.”

Thoughts?
post #22166 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG View Post
Hello all there was a Tweet I found on Twitter and wanted to get your take. It says:

On getting Apple TV 4K to produce 4K:

From the retweeted thread:

“Best settings for all content is 4K SDR 60 hz, match frame rate on and match dynamic range on. This will play all content (both SDR and HDR) in their correct format without cross-converting one or the other.”

Thoughts?

Please read the first post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #22167 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 2449
Quote:
Ok I'll bite. You say they sell exclusively to "pro installers/integrators" and that is probably why you don't provide a vendor link. If its vaporware to the AVS consumer who cares if its cheaper & better. IMHO.
There's a good possibility that one of the aforementioned companies will be selling certain offerings into the brick and mortar retail space - coming soon - as well as through an online store.

However, until that happens, you would be correct in terms of labelling the products as "consumer vaporware" - unless you happen to know an integrator/installer who wouldn't mind ordering one for you.

EDIT: I'll will be more than happy to share that info once it's real.
naustin likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22168 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

"HD quality audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Don't know about that but the PQ is better with the ATV4K .
Looks like its a "No"

What about Dolby Atmos and DTS-X?

Unfortunately, Apple does not yet allow apps like Infuse to utilize Atmos for local content. However, we are working to encourage them to add more versatile options for Atmos and other audio codecs.

We're working to encourage Apple to add more flexible audio options, and more info on the ways you can help with this can be found here.
galonzo and brotony like this.
post #22169 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Please read the first post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did. I should be more clear. The reasoning was that there were a number of faulty SDR apps. My question is....is that still the case and of those apps were fixed would there be a reason to still use that setting?!

Also I noticed these settings disable Dolby Vision and my OLED notifications for Dolby Vision never come on.

Last edited by DarenG; 04-27-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #22170 of 23716 Old 04-27-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
There's a good possibility that one of the aforementioned companies will be selling certain offerings into the brick and mortar retail space - coming soon - as well as through an online store.

However, until that happens, you would be correct in terms of labelling the products as "consumer vaporware" - unless you happen to know an integrator/installer who wouldn't mind ordering one for you.

EDIT: I'll will be more than happy to share that info once it's real.

Not that I care about the product but I really don’t get this. You said the product is available to installers and this presumably means that it is not a prerelease product and that you are not under an NDA—heck the company sells it to make money and needs to find “commercial” customers. If is the case then nothing prevents you from mentioning the product and company.

Many products are not “consumer” available but can be talked about.
galonzo and brotony like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page