Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 756 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27781Likes

post #22651 of 23701 Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post
Hey all, I’ve been having an issue with 4K HDR content streamed through apples own iTunes service. On black or near black scenes there seems to be a pulsing or strobing effect that I haven’t been able to resolve. For instance, in the first 3 minutes of black mass outside the bar peripheral darker parts of my tv, not the letterboxed portions, exhibit this effect.

I’ve watched the same movie through vudu and it didn’t have any strobing or pulsing. I’ve tried bypassing my avr as well and it still pops up. I have a vizio pq65-f1 and will also post this in the relevant forum. But does anyone have any relevant thought on the matter?

I noticed the same thing on La La Land the other night. I don’t have the 4K version in Vudu so, I can’t check there. Haven’t seen it in anything else yet, but I’ve only check a couple.

I tell ya, I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to tvOS 12.2 back in March. I wish I could go back to an earlier firmware.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22652 of 23701 Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 430
There is terrible macroblocking in one scene on the physical disc release of la la land (when Emma stones character walks into the bar for the first time) which carries forward to all versions as far as I’m aware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
galonzo likes this.
post #22653 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Hey,

Today like many other days I bought some iTunes, 4K, ATMOS movies for $4.99. In this particular case it was John Wick 1 and 2 for $9.99.

And,... that has to be one of my favorite things: high quality, low cost, good value. I guess there must be a down side in the long run but for now I'm enjoying the ride and the benefit is instant.

ATV4K is my favorite gizmo that I ever had.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22654 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Got a second one from MassGenie yesterday for $128 bucks--impossible to resist.

All this setup needs to achieve HT nirvana is Bookmarking, so that we can have the ATV queue-up some favorite scenes when we want to show-off the thing.
post #22655 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Got a second one from MassGenie yesterday for $128 bucks--impossible to resist.

All this setup needs to achieve HT nirvana is Bookmarking, so that we can have the ATV queue-up some favorite scenes when we want to show-off the thing.

Buy a Kaleidoscope
post #22656 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Buy a Kaleidoscope
Yeah, I actually didn't think it was fair to mention that. I do really WANT ONE but a Strato is twice the cost for a third the storage of my Synology. Still, it is very tempting!
Ph8te likes this.
post #22657 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
There is terrible macroblocking in one scene on the physical disc release of la la land (when Emma stones character walks into the bar for the first time) which carries forward to all versions as far as I’m aware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This isn’t macroblocking, this is more like the dark areas are flashing brighter then normal, brighter then normal, non stop during the whole movie. I’ll try a make a short video of it sometime today and post it.

La La Land is the only one I’ve seen it on but, I also haven’t gone looking for it on anything else.

Thezrb, what movies have you seen it in?

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #22658 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Buy a Kaleidoscope
ATV4K is my Kaliedoscope

And my HTPC.

I have read about Kaliedoscope systems for years and while interesting the cost always kept them out of my mind.

My first wannabe Kaliedoscope system involved putting my Blu Rays (and DVDs) onto NAS units and serving them up with Plex and I still have that... Very similar to K system. I'm slowly reducing that library by replacing with iTunes... (Still keeping my 1500-ish Blu Rays in storage boxes.) So my Plex library is just under 1000 titles now.

Buying movies on iTunes and keeping them in the cloud is a bit risky but mostly it's been stable and I think the whole experience of it is far better than K system. I have 3 kids so family sharing of 5 people works perfectly in my (and away from) my house. And now when (rarely) I do travel I just take my ATV4K with me.

I don't have any faith that K won't go out of business... in fact, It wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't see much value to it anymore.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #22659 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 109
My LG /Meridian Sound Bar is acting weird with ATV Dolby Atmos when the Sound Bar left in the movie mode but when I switch to other modes like Music it goes Dolby Atmos . I know this is the ATV discussion but I thought I will take a chance & ask .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 , LG SL 10YG SoundBar. HT: JVC RS2000, Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain Sscreen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/9060 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #22660 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey,

Today like many other days I bought some iTunes, 4K, ATMOS movies for $4.99. In this particular case it was John Wick 1 and 2 for $9.99.

And,... that has to be one of my favorite things: high quality, low cost, good value. I guess there must be a down side in the long run but for now I'm enjoying the ride and the benefit is instant.

-Brian
That's why I switched from buying discs to iTunes . The SQ from disc is bar none but may be things will improve with sound codes with ATV in the future .
Garyoke likes this.

LG OLED C8 65 2018 , LG SL 10YG SoundBar. HT: JVC RS2000, Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain Sscreen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/9060 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #22661 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
That's why I switched from buying discs to iTunes . The SQ from disc is bar none but may be things will improve with sound codes with ATV in the future .
Me too, the cost of discs is just to high to justify anymore. I do buy the disc in certain rare situations. For instance, Hannibal in 4k has no digital version. Digital copies are so cheap and it's not like I'll watch a certain title often enough to justify the higher cost of discs. Recently I was able to buy the digital 4k version of "Book Club" for $1.50 and the digital 4k version of "Mile 22" for $3.00. In a lot of cases, it costs less to buy than it does to rent.
Brian Hampton and Garyoke like this.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #22662 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
ATV4K is my Kaliedoscope

And my HTPC.

I have read about Kaliedoscope systems for years and while interesting the cost always kept them out of my mind.

My first wannabe Kaliedoscope system involved putting my Blu Rays (and DVDs) onto NAS units and serving them up with Plex and I still have that... Very similar to K system. I'm slowly reducing that library by replacing with iTunes... (Still keeping my 1500-ish Blu Rays in storage boxes.) So my Plex library is just under 1000 titles now.

Buying movies on iTunes and keeping them in the cloud is a bit risky but mostly it's been stable and I think the whole experience of it is far better than K system. I have 3 kids so family sharing of 5 people works perfectly in my (and away from) my house. And now when (rarely) I do travel I just take my ATV4K with me.

I don't have any faith that K won't go out of business... in fact, It wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't see much value to it anymore.

In the specific case of what the original person was asking for the Kaleidoscope would be superior at this time. They have a script which can pull your favorite demo scenes and you’ll get full bitrate 4K HDR/Lossless. That was the only reason I was mentioning it and that person knew what I was referring to
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #22663 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for clearing that up... I wasn't sure where the Kaliedescope comment was coming from.

And,... Yes... Cheaper and more practical than renting is how I feel. I used to be thrilled to rent for $2 but I now buy for $4 and renting is really rare.
post #22664 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...Buying movies on iTunes and keeping them in the cloud is a bit risky...
I wonder why you say this, unless it is simply that your Internet could fail you some time when you're counting on it? I've never been able to do streaming before, so am new to it and don't fully trust it, which is another reason the Kaleidescape (sic) system interests me.

Quote:
It is truly a rich man's game, and while there are plenty of those it seems (including myself I suppose), how many want to spend so much money for (mostly just) the ease-of-use it provides? I do hope they can find a way to survive long-term but am suspicicous as you.

I long to put all my movies onto my NAS, including "iTunes" movies, but it seems there is nothing easy about doing that.
post #22665 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 03:19 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this thread, but I can’t get through to Amazon Prime Support. I am trying to re-watch a series that I viewed last year, but when I select “Season 1 Episode 1”, the app picks up where I left off, i.e. with the end-of-episode credits roll. How do I get the app to start over from the beginning? I’m sure there is a simple keystroke, but I can’t seem to find it. The Prime app seems to be brain-dead to me.

Thanks!
post #22666 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this thread, but I can’t get through to Amazon Prime Support. I am trying to re-watch a series that I viewed last year, but when I select “Season 1 Episode 1”, the app picks up where I left off, i.e. with the end-of-episode credits roll. How do I get the app to start over from the beginning? I’m sure there is a simple keystroke, but I can’t seem to find it. The Prime app seems to be brain-dead to me.

Thanks!
Hold the Siri talk button and say restart. Release.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #22667 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 03:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Hold the Siri talk button and say restart. Release.

What about those of us who don’t converse with our technology? Is there an old-fashioned keystroke?
post #22668 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What about those of us who don’t converse with our technology? Is there an old-fashioned keystroke?
Using Siri remote or 3rd party? I'd say there's plenty ways to do it.

But it's easier with the Siri remote. Scrub back by pausing and swiping from right to left quickly.

3rd party would be rewind at fastest speed.

But I feel your complaint is mostly with Amazon not restarting to beginning for you. I've seen series with options just below episode splash tab to resume or restart. Do you see that? I believe movies have that option too? Was it removed? Or are you using the ATV TV app to replay these Amazon episodes? Maybe just back and select and restart tab.

Hulu has a restart button within the episode. Swipe to expose the progress bar and tap up and left to restart.

galonzo and Musician like this.
post #22669 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Using Siri remote or 3rd party? I'd say there's plenty ways to do it.

But it's easier with the Siri remote. Scrub back by pausing and swiping from right to left quickly.

3rd party would be rewind at fastest speed.

But I feel your complaint is mostly with Amazon not restarting to beginning for you. I've seen series with options just below episode splash tab to resume or restart. Do you see that? I believe movies have that option too? Was it removed? Or are you using the ATV TV app to replay these Amazon episodes? Maybe just back and select and restart tab.

Hulu has a restart button within the episode. Swipe to expose the progress bar and tap up and left to restart.

OK, I am re-watching the first season of Fleabag. The only way I could start at the beginning of Episode 1 was to start the episode and rewind from the rolling credits. Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

I checked out the behavior on the Netflix app, and if I play a previously-viewed episode (that went all the way to the credits), the episode starts over from the beginning automatically. If the episode was not completely watched, it resumes where it left off. This behavior seem to be more intuitive.

And I am using a Harmony remote.
post #22670 of 23701 Old 05-18-2019, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, I am re-watching the first season of Fleabag. The only way I could start at the beginning of Episode 1 was to start the episode and rewind from the rolling credits. Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

I checked out the behavior on the Netflix app, and if I play a previously-viewed episode (that went all the way to the credits), the episode starts over from the beginning automatically. If the episode was not completely watched, it resumes where it left off. This behavior seem to be more intuitive.

I'm looking at this now with Bosch that I was caught up on. Resume seems to only relate to last episode in the latest series watched? (dumb that this changed.) Those individual tabs to resume or start over are gone. Replaced with seasons tab that always seem to be there now.

Not an improvement. I've never been impressed with Amazon or Netflix UI but agree Netflix is more intuitive with individual episodes.

I know some people are loyal to Harmony as a one for all remote but I've made an exception for Apple TV. There's just some things it does better than Harmony alone. Both are unique and well equipped. If the Siri remote had a nav button layout as well as the touch pad and Harmony had access to voice assistants, I'd be much happier with both. A Harmony remote with less buttons doesn't appeal to me though.

galonzo and Musician like this.
post #22671 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
This isn’t macroblocking, this is more like the dark areas are flashing brighter then normal, brighter then normal, non stop during the whole movie. I’ll try a make a short video of it sometime today and post it.

La La Land is the only one I’ve seen it on but, I also haven’t gone looking for it on anything else.

Thezrb, what movies have you seen it in?

Oh I definitely haven’t seen that. You don’t have a ‘8’ model LG Oled do you? (C8, E8 or W8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22672 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post
Hey all, I’ve been having an issue with 4K HDR content streamed through apples own iTunes service. On black or near black scenes there seems to be a pulsing or strobing effect that I haven’t been able to resolve. For instance, in the first 3 minutes of black mass outside the bar peripheral darker parts of my tv, not the letterboxed portions, exhibit this effect.

I’ve watched the same movie through vudu and it didn’t have any strobing or pulsing. I’ve tried bypassing my avr as well and it still pops up. I have a vizio pq65-f1 and will also post this in the relevant forum. But does anyone have any relevant thought on the matter?
This is also happening to me. I noticed it while watching the Harry Potter movies through the Apple TV app. Vudu doesn’t exhibit the issue. I also have a Vizio P55-F1 🤔
galonzo likes this.
post #22673 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Me too, the cost of discs is just to high to justify anymore. I do buy the disc in certain rare situations. For instance, Hannibal in 4k has no digital version. Digital copies are so cheap and it's not like I'll watch a certain title often enough to justify the higher cost of discs. Recently I was able to buy the digital 4k version of "Book Club" for $1.50 and the digital 4k version of "Mile 22" for $3.00. In a lot of cases, it costs less to buy than it does to rent.

Never shopped at Walmart but always looking at bargain now on Blu Ray Discs with digital copy

post #22674 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by souks83 View Post
This is also happening to me. I noticed it while watching the Harry Potter movies through the Apple TV app. Vudu doesn’t exhibit the issue. I also have a Vizio P55-F1

Yeah I’ve isolated it down to iTunes movies. Both vudu and my UDP 203 don’t exhibit the problem when fed the same film. It’s unfortunate, but at least I’m not going to have go chasing down a warranty replacement for my TV and I think Apple will probably fix it eventually.
post #22675 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souks83 View Post
This is also happening to me. I noticed it while watching the Harry Potter movies through the Apple TV app. Vudu doesn’t exhibit the issue. I also have a Vizio P55-F1

Is this what you’re seeing? Sorry the clip isn’t great but the flickering can just be made out on the far right side of the screen.

post #22676 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2446
Quote:

Quote:
I've never been impressed with Amazon or Netflix UI but agree Netflix is more intuitive with individual episodes. I know some people are loyal to Harmony as a one for all remote but I've made an exception for Apple TV.
The Amazon UI is terrible. Not only with playback controls, but also when trying to locate 4K/HDR content. At least with Netflix, you can perform a simple search for "HDR" and get a nice listing in the results.

If you have either an iPad or iPhone, the simply named "Remote" app (free) from Apple is fantastic. The UI is very similar to the physical candy bar style remote, but with many more features including a drop down keyboard; which makes doing searches - or entering account info a breeze - especially if you don't enjoy conversing with your ATV.

A few Screenshots attached.

If you don't have an iPhone or iPad, there are some somewhat decent Android apps in the PlayStore: https://www.lifewire.com/best-apple-...ndroid-4585173
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2568654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2568656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2568658  

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-19-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #22677 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

It's simpler to just fast forward to the end in this circumstance. It then resets to the beginning.

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
post #22678 of 23701 Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have some UHD MKV files that I want to play on the ATV and have successfully gotten Infuse and MrMC to play back, but I need DTS and DTS-HD audio to be transcoded to DD 5.1. Infuse will only do this with Infuse Pro, but I haven't been able to do so with MrMC "lite". Does anybody know if the paid, non-lite version of MrMC will transcode DTS audio to DD 5.1 on the fly?
post #22679 of 23701 Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sorry if this has been covered before but after installing the latest OS I found and installed the Vudu app and could see my collection including my 3D collection. I selected one of the 3D movies and it played although in left eye, right eye configuration. Is there a way to have the atv play it back correctly?
post #22680 of 23701 Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Is this what you’re seeing? Sorry the clip isn’t great but the flickering can just be made out on the far right side of the screen.

https://youtu.be/aoUlE_NYJuQ

Same issues over here with the flashing in dark scenes. Noticed it real bad on Blade Runner 2049 and John Wick. Both streamed from Itunes. I have a Vizio p65-c1.

PSN: amays32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page