Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 758 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27832Likes

post #22711 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I'm running 12.4 beta, and watched the "John Wick" iTunes DV example. I saw zero issues on my LG OLED C7.

12.4 maybe has fixed it?
How can you get the beta update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22712 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley141 View Post
Thanks for that update. I hope it does because this bug makes HDR content unwatchable.
Agreed. Was planning to watch John Wick 1 & 2 in DV this week and go see 3 this weekend. So much for that (unless i wanna watch in SDR that is).
post #22713 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4373 Post(s)
Liked: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post
How can you get the beta update?
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22714 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post
Agreed. Was planning to watch John Wick 1 & 2 in DV this week and go see 3 this weekend. So much for that (unless i wanna watch in SDR that is).

Just a good excuse to watch them twice!

I had the same plan yesterday which was interrupted when I discovered this issue. Took me nearly 3 hours of troubleshooting to narrow it down and find a workaround so I could at least watch them.
galonzo likes this.
post #22715 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
...the issue is clearly shown in the first John Wick clip I figured that did a good enough job of visually demonstrating the issue.
Wow, I have John Wick but haven't watched any 4K since the update so will have to see about aggravating myself. Funny when I ran the clip, the pulsing occurred PRECISELY in time with the analog wall clock I have in my office here. Tick-tick-tick the pulses are "per second" for sure.

EDIT: grimley141 for all the hours you spent, and reporting you did, you need now to take some MORE time and get the beta! Oh, and report-back here!

Last edited by Laserfan; 05-22-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #22716 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 555
The key question is what does the Movies Anywhere transaction record(s) reflect? If you've never purchased or redeemed in iTunes, BUT you have 4K rights in iTunes then it's because MA reflects those rights. Your iTunes rights are then updated per the MA transaction records. That's the way it works! Screenshots of transaction records are required to have a definitive discussion on mysterious rights questions etc...

EDIT: If you own HD rights to Alien, from your original non-iTunes purchase or redeem, and you now have 4K rights in iTunes that's a BIG deal (verified by playing title). I don't think we've ever seen that happen! I'm intrigued

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Maybe I’m just lucky then. Two of my movies for which I only own the HDX version on VUDU are 4k HDR on iTunes on my ATV4k, Alien and Lone Survivor. And again, I never buy any content thru Apple. I have only had my ATV4k for a few months (bought it only to get access to PSVue multiview and NetFlix ATMOS, not an Apple fan for various reasons not germane to this discussion) and was surprised to see this when I looked thru my movies on iTunes.
galonzo likes this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979

Last edited by leonmckee; 05-22-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #22717 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post
The key question is what does the Movies Anywhere transaction record(s) reflect? If you've never purchased or redeemed in iTunes, BUT you have 4K rights in iTunes then it's because MA reflects those rights. Your iTunes rights are then updated per the MA transaction records. That's the way it works! Screenshots of transaction records are required to have a definitive discussion on mysterious rights questions etc...

EDIT: If you own HD rights to Alien, from your original non-iTunes purchase or redeem, and you now have 4K rights in iTunes that's a BIG deal (verified by playing title). I don't think we've ever seen that happen! I'm intrigued

Leon McKee
Don't really know. I don't have any questions or issues, I was just trying to provide some data points that would perhaps help the op. Those comments/data points were:

1. All of my purchased movies that have UHD/ATMOS available for me to play on VUDU have UHD/ATMOS available for me to play in iTunes.

2. I don't and have never purchased any content directly from iTunes. Most were purchased on VUDU, some were redeemed digital copies.

3. I did find two movies where only the HDX version is on VUDU but are available for me to play in UHD/ATMOS on iTunes. They are Alien and Lone Survivor. I don't know why or how...I'm just pleased.

I am not very familiar with the ATV4k as I am standardized on Android based streaming devices for lots of reasons so I certainly just could be missing some details on all of this. All I know is what I see in my movie list comparing VUDU with iTunes.

Mark
post #22718 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Since I recently converted from using a Roku to the ATV4k, I used Movies Anywhere to import my 200+ movie library to iTunes but none of the movies have UHD or ATMOS support even though I always purchased the highest resolution version on Vudu. Is there a way to have Apple improve the resolution in the Apple Movies section without repurchasing?
You say that you purchased the "highest resolution version". This means very little unless you know what movies you purchased in 4K. If you purchased HDX movies, they will NOT be upgraded to 4K on iTunes. If they were purchased 4K on VUDU then you have a chance depending on what the studio produced the movie.
At any rate, there is a VUDU app and MoviesAnywhere app available on the ATV4K and your movies will play in whatever version you purchased. VUDU on the ATV4K plays UHD/ATMOS fine.
Gerry
galonzo likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #22719 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

The first thing you need to do is verify your Movies Anywhere transaction records. Porting rights are a DIRECT result and reflection of those records.

Leon McKee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Since I recently converted from using a Roku to the ATV4k, I used Movies Anywhere to import my 200+ movie library to iTunes but none of the movies have UHD or ATMOS support even though I always purchased the highest resolution version on Vudu. Is there a way to have Apple improve the resolution in the Apple Movies section without repurchasing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 10.17.48 AM.png
Views:	42
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	2570122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 10.18.07 AM.png
Views:	43
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2570124  
galonzo and sonoftumble like this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
post #22720 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmckee View Post

Leon McKee
Hey Leon, I saw your edit where you said you were "intrigued". I'm willing to look into those two titles for you. Like I said, I only recently purchased my ATV4k only to get access to PSVue multiview and NetFlix ATMOS. I don't really use it for anything else. I'm standardized on Android based streaming devices, Nvidia Shields and FireTV's, for many reasons. All that said, if you tell me what you want me to look at I'll be glad to help.

Here is what I know for certain. For Alien, it was a digital copy that I redeemed on VUDU. I own the 4k HDR disc. It only redeemed for the HDX version on VUDU but it shows as 4k HDR on iTunes and plays 4k HDR. Honestly not sure how I acquired Lone Survivor. It could have been one of those freebie deals? But it says I own HDX on VUDU but shows as 4k DV and plays as 4k HDR (I have my ATV4k connected to my 4k projector which, like all current projectors, does not support DV so DV titles play as HDR) on iTunes.

Mark
post #22721 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Hey Leon, I saw your edit where you said you were "intrigued". I'm willing to look into those two titles for you. Like I said, I only recently purchased my ATV4k only to get access to PSVue multiview and NetFlix ATMOS. I don't really use it for anything else. I'm standardized on Android based streaming devices, Nvidia Shields and FireTV's, for many reasons. All that said, if you tell me what you want me to look at I'll be glad to help.

Here is what I know for certain. For Alien, it was a digital copy that I redeemed on VUDU. I own the 4k HDR disc. It only redeemed for the HDX version on VUDU but it shows as 4k HDR on iTunes and plays 4k HDR. Honestly not sure how I acquired Lone Survivor. It could have been one of those freebie deals? But it says I own HDX on VUDU but shows as 4k DV and plays as 4k HDR (I have my ATV4k connected to my 4k projector which, like all current projectors, does not support DV so DV titles play as HDR) on iTunes.

You likely redeemed Alien on MA rather than Vudu directly. Here’s a screenshot of the back of the packaging that says to redeem on MA. That means your MA transaction history will show a 4K copy which explains why it went 4K on iTunes. Probably 4K on Vudu also once Vudu had the UHD version for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lujan, leonmckee and naustin like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #22722 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mark, thanks for the reply. No need to spend your time investigating to be honest. The thing is that those of us who are really into redeeming digital codes have a good handle on the process so when we see something that is out of the ordinary we pounce. Just remember that your Movies Anywhere transaction history is the HUB of your digital rights porting world. Thanks!

Leon McKee

Quote:

galonzo and naustin like this.

post #22723 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You likely redeemed Alien on MA rather than Vudu directly. Here’s a screenshot of the back of the packaging that says to redeem on MA. That means your MA transaction history will show a 4K copy which explains why it went 4K on iTunes. Probably 4K on Vudu also once Vudu had the UHD version for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure exactly where I redeemed it to be honest. Could have been MA, could have been VUDU, didn't really pay that much attention when I did it. It was recent though, the beginning of this month. UHD is already on VUDU but VUDU still says I only own HDX. But when I go onto iTunes it says I own 4k HDR. Strange.

Mark
post #22724 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I can't remember what publisher it was but when I purchased a 4k title it only gave me HDX on Vudu. When I reached out to their tech support they said that they don't provide 4k digital rights. Moral of the story is that buying 4k physical does not guarantee 4k digital.
Educated Idiot likes this.
post #22725 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Not sure exactly where I redeemed it to be honest. Could have been MA, could have been VUDU, didn't really pay that much attention when I did it. It was recent though, the beginning of this month. UHD is already on VUDU but VUDU still says I only own HDX. But when I go onto iTunes it says I own 4k HDR. Strange.

If your transaction history shows 4K as I suspect it will, you could reach out to MA via their app and ask them to help get it ported to Vudu if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjwagner likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #22726 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Mildly infuriating...

At times for no reason while watch mlb.tv app thru ATV it just exits out of stream to Apple home screen. Usually happens at least once per session if I watch more than an hour or so...roughly.

Is this a common problem and can I do anything to minimize?
galonzo likes this.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #22727 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem View Post
Mildly infuriating...

At times for no reason while watch mlb.tv app thru ATV it just exits out of stream to Apple home screen. Usually happens at least once per session if I watch more than an hour or so...roughly.

I don't have the mlb app but I've seen the unexpected going home issue before. It was my Harmony hub rebooting. Must have been too close to my other devices. Moved it further away and the issue went away. I did finally notice the red light on hub just before my Apple TV 4K went home.

Got a Harmony hub nearby? Or in your setup?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #22728 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Bought Season 8 of Game of Thrones on iTunes.

Had no idea it would be released so soon after it aired. So that was a nice surprise.

Had no idea what a season pass was .... had to look that one up and laughed about people suing Apple because for example the Season Pass of GoT season 8 says 10 episodes when 4 of those are special features.

I didn't NEED to buy the last season of GoT because a friend of mine is happy to include me on her HBONow subscription but I felt compelled since I own the other seasons.

And,... I am now waiting news that iTunes will give free updates of TV shows to 4K when available... (no reason to suspect that will happen but I can dream right?)

-Brian
Mike_WI likes this.
post #22729 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I don't have the mlb app but I've seen the unexpected going home issue before. It was my Harmony hub rebooting. Must have been too close to my other devices. Moved it further away and the issue went away. I did finally notice the red light on hub just before my Apple TV 4K went home.

Got a Harmony hub nearby? Or in your setup?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I do have an older Harmony remote but it has no hub. The charger is in another room. It has never done it on any other app except mlbtv. I watch MLBTV without interruption on both Roku and Sony TV app in other room.

Thanks for the response
galonzo and brotony like this.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #22730 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Wow, I have John Wick but haven't watched any 4K since the update so will have to see about aggravating myself. Funny when I ran the clip, the pulsing occurred PRECISELY in time with the analog wall clock I have in my office here. Tick-tick-tick the pulses are "per second" for sure.

EDIT: grimley141 for all the hours you spent, and reporting you did, you need now to take some MORE time and get the beta! Oh, and report-back here!

Pulsing is still present on 12.4 beta. OP here can confirm. Watching lord of war as I type.
post #22731 of 23764 Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
The only "fix" (well, a workaround) is to put the Apple TV in 4K SDR and then those movies play without the flicker/pulsating dark scenes (of course, what's the point of having a nice HDR box and TV when the HDR doesn't work properly).
Hmmm, maybe that's why I don't see any flicker on mine. As I have mine set for 4K 60 SDR with Matching ON for both. But then, I thought that this was the preferred setting...(?).

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #22732 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Mildly infuriating...

I have the same issue. It is really frustrating. It doesn't happen with any other streamer I have (Roku) and (Nvida Shield TV) just the Apple TV.
galonzo likes this.
post #22733 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Bought Season 8 of Game of Thrones on iTunes.

Had no idea it would be released so soon after it aired. So that was a nice surprise.

-Brian
So what is the quality like? The HBO streams were pretty thoroughly panned for poor quality also NowTV streams here in the UK so I've been holding off for Bluray but maybe the iTunes streams or download will be good.

Andre
Mike_WI likes this.
post #22734 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Mildly infuriating...

What you are describing is most likely an app crash. However, the ATV (tvOS) will not inform you that the app actually crashed. If you clicked the "Send to Apple" button under the "Diagnostics and Usage" section (during initial setup), the developers of the MLB app will be informed by Apple that there is an issue with their app.

The apps are curated on the ATV store, and supposedly checked to make sure that they don't crash; so there's also a possibility that you have an issue with your ATV.

I don't use the MLB app, so I don't have any personal knowledge as to whether this is a common problem, or isolated to you.
mrpickem, beerhunt and m_snow like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22735 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
So what is the quality like? The HBO streams were pretty thoroughly panned for poor quality also NowTV streams here in the UK so I've been holding off for Bluray but maybe the iTunes streams or download will be good.

Andre
The reasons for the poor quality - especially with the dark scenes in S8, E3 - were caused by two major factors:

1) The use of H.264 compression, which is a necessary evil in the world of 1080P streaming. Check out this article from Tech Crunch regarding GoT S8, E3, and the role H.264 played. It's very informative: https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/wh...s-the-science/

2) Tens of millions of viewers all watching the same feed at the same time - which overwhelmed HBO's servers, causing additional compression. I rewatched S8, E3 later in the week and found that the picture quality was improved.

However, the biggest contributor was easily H.264 compression and how it handles (or doesn't) dark scenes.

The good news is that when (if) these shows become available in 4K/HDR, they will also move from H.264 to H.265 - which is a much more efficient codec. Hopefully they will be available in Dolby Vision - as that will eliminate any banding.
Brian Hampton likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-23-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #22736 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post
Pulsing is still present on 12.4 beta. OP here can confirm. Watching lord of war as I type.
Well, I guess that means that my LG OLED C7 is immune to this issue. Anyone else with a 7 series LG OLED seeing this pulsation?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the AppleTV using low latency Dolby Vision (Profile 5)?
talldrink67 likes this.

post #22737 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I'm running 12.4 beta, and watched the "John Wick" iTunes DV example. I saw zero issues on my LG OLED C7.

12.4 maybe has fixed it?
Watched John Wick Chapter 2 last night on the 12.4 beta. The issue is still there
I have an LG OLED C6
post #22738 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post
Hmmm, maybe that's why I don't see any flicker on mine. As I have mine set for 4K 60 SDR with Matching ON for both. But then, I thought that this was the preferred setting...(?).
What you mention is the preferred setting, but since you have matching ON for both, content will play in DV or HDR when the movie is available in that format.
post #22739 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
I can't remember what publisher it was but when I purchased a 4k title it only gave me HDX on Vudu. When I reached out to their tech support they said that they don't provide 4k digital rights. Moral of the story is that buying 4k physical does not guarantee 4k digital.
I can back this up both Die Hard and The Greatest Showman 4K disc purchases I made only redeemed HD versions digitally and when i reached out out the movie publisher they said there is no guarantee that you will get 4K digital with a 4K disc purchase. That seems pretty lame to me and it would be nice if the box told you which digital version you would be getting right to?

Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
post #22740 of 23764 Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post

Please report to Apple, especially as your on the beta.

My report is filed under radar number 51014431, so feel free to reference it on yours. Maybe that will help them tie all these reports together.
cydeweyz and beerhunt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page