Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 766 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27831Likes

post #22951 of 23752 Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Well....not sure what might have happened here or if anyone else has experienced this. I have 4 Apple TV 4K units in the house. They're all hard-wired/ethernet. One of them no longer works via ethernet. I've tried swapping cables, swapping the unit that is acting up with a unit that's not - no dice.

So, I should make an appointment with the genius bar? Or is there something else I can try?

The unit doesn't even give me an option to select ethernet - it doesn't recognize a cable is inserted at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22952 of 23752 Old 06-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduelion View Post
I noticed that the flickering in the movies app only lasts about 15 seconds and then disappears. In the TV app, the flickering does not go away.

I would recommend trying the movies app again and giving it a few min.

Either way this is a bug that needs to be fixed, but for me a temp work around has been found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What’s the temporary workaround that you’re using?
post #22953 of 23752 Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley141 View Post
What’s the temporary workaround that you’re using?

Like I mentioned: use the iTunes movie app instead of the tv app.

Main: YouTubeTV -> Apple TV 4k -> Anthem MRX 720 (5.1.2 DTS:Neural X) <-> Sony 65A1E
Den: Apple TV -> Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD

DTS beats Dolby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22954 of 23752 Old 06-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by purduelion View Post
Like I mentioned: use the iTunes movie app instead of the tv app.

Thanks. I’ve been doing that too.
post #22955 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 430
It’s a bit of a show-stopping bug to be honest. I don’t imagine it’ll be broken too long but then I wouldn’t have thought it would’ve got past beta testing either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian Hampton and galonzo like this.
post #22956 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Well....not sure what might have happened here or if anyone else has experienced this. I have 4 Apple TV 4K units in the house. They're all hard-wired/ethernet. One of them no longer works via ethernet. I've tried swapping cables, swapping the unit that is acting up with a unit that's not - no dice.

So, I should make an appointment with the genius bar? Or is there something else I can try?

The unit doesn't even give me an option to select ethernet - it doesn't recognize a cable is inserted at all.
Thankfully the ATV4K is fairly simple. If blowing out the connection port doesn't fix this I think it's time for service.

You could start with a reset.... because maybe it's just a software glitch and that could fix it.... it's just a good trouble shooting step anyway.
m_snow likes this.
post #22957 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Thankfully the ATV4K is fairly simple. If blowing out the connection port doesn't fix this I think it's time for service.

You could start with a reset.... because maybe it's just a software glitch and that could fix it.... it's just a good trouble shooting step anyway.

Thanks. Tried all of those. Blew out the port, did a full reset. No dice. Still won’t work.

I’m going to take it in.
post #22958 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
OK! Found a reasonably priced HDMI splitter that works for using an AT4K with an older AVR (pre 4K/HDR) and a 4K/HDR TV. The unit is specifically designed for this purpose.

The ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 for $65 on Amazon (Prime members can return it free if it doesn't work.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supports up to 4K/60, 4:4:4, HDR/DV.
- HDMI-Out-1 does a pass-thru of HDMI-In with full video and audio signals untouched. This out also has the option to supports ARC.
- HDMI-Out-2 passes through just the full audio from HDMI-In (the unit creates and sends a black 1080p video signal to accommodate legacy AVRs).
- Toslink Out extracts audio from HDMI-In and outputs the standard PCM and DD+ signals supported by Toslink. (Details in manual.)

Tested it this afternoon with ATV4K > Denon 1713 > LG 65E6P and everything works great. Handles HDR/DV fine as well as changing frame rates.

The only inconvenience is that since the video signal no longer goes through the AVR the AVR UI doesn't show up on screen when your tweaking settings. I got around that by running an HDMI cable from the AVR to a second HDMI input on the TV.
Thanks to this post, I bought one of these as well, and can testify that it works great! I too have an older AVR (Harman Kardon 2600) that doesn't do 4K, but still sounds great, so when I bought my Apple TV 4K it got plugged into my TCL 65R615, and the sound delivered via optical. But now, with this doodad, it's as though I'm hearing my ATV4K for the first time! Now I'm getting up to 7.1 multi-channel PCM, and it sounds like a different beast. Thanks for the info. I had looked into splitters before, but was convinced that nothing worked other than the too expensive HDFury stuff.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #22959 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Here's a question: When you watch a movie on iTunes or Vudu with Atmos, but you don't have an Atmos AVR, what happens to the Atmos tracks? Are they downmixed into everything, or are the rear surrounds carrying those tracks?

Case in point: I watched Annihilation on iTunes after I installed the new HDMI splitter (see above post). My Harman Kardon 2600 reported Multi-channel PCM 3/4.1, in other words, 7.1. I have a 7.1 setup, but had to wonder if the rears were playing what should have been overhead.

Movies in Atmos no longer have channel numbers listed, they just say Atmos. I know it's a different animal with object-oriented whatever, but there ARE still channels there. I'll have to see if any of my Atmos movies play in less than 7.1.

What gets me wondering is that the current crop of seven channel AVRs that have Atmos can be configured as 7.1 or 5.1.2.

Either way, it sounded great--that movie has killer sound design. I wish there was an easy way to mute channels to hear what they're playing rather than just disconnecting them. I'd like to hear what's coming from the rear surrounds. It's hard to tell, because usually, when they're active, all hell is breaking loose in the movie.
post #22960 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wolfer View Post
Here's a question: When you watch a movie on iTunes or Vudu with Atmos, but you don't have an Atmos AVR, what happens to the Atmos tracks? Are they downmixed into everything, or are the rear surrounds carrying those tracks?

Case in point: I watched Annihilation on iTunes after I installed the new HDMI splitter (see above post). My Harman Kardon 2600 reported Multi-channel PCM 3/4.1, in other words, 7.1. I have a 7.1 setup, but had to wonder if the rears were playing what should have been overhead.

Movies in Atmos no longer have channel numbers listed, they just say Atmos. I know it's a different animal with object-oriented whatever, but there ARE still channels there. I'll have to see if any of my Atmos movies play in less than 7.1.

What gets me wondering is that the current crop of seven channel AVRs that have Atmos can be configured as 7.1 or 5.1.2.

Either way, it sounded great--that movie has killer sound design. I wish there was an easy way to mute channels to hear what they're playing rather than just disconnecting them. I'd like to hear what's coming from the rear surrounds. It's hard to tell, because usually, when they're active, all hell is breaking loose in the movie.
Bill - thanks for posting your findings.

I'm in the same boat as you: currently using an optical tosslink out of my Sony TV to extract 5.1 DD (AC-3/compressed audio) out of my ATV4k to my AVR/SSP. Since my setup consists of 'only' 5.2 channels, there is part of me that doubts the benefits of extracting HDMI audio feed from the ATV4k...will there be a perceived audio improvement? As I understand it, the ATV4k doesn't pass uncompressed bitstream, rather a LPCM 7.1 for most Netflix, Prime, MA or Vudu streamed content.

I guess the more relevant question would be, if the destination is a 5.2 setup, does DD 5.1 via optical sound inferior to DD+/LPCM 7.1 via HDMI (since my SSP will down-convert the 7.1 into 5.2 anyways)?
post #22961 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Bill - thanks for posting your findings.

I'm in the same boat as you: currently using an optical tosslink out of my Sony TV to extract 5.1 DD (AC-3/compressed audio) out of my ATV4k to my AVR/SSP. Since my setup consists of 'only' 5.2 channels, there is part of me that doubts the benefits of extracting HDMI audio feed from the ATV4k...will there be a perceived audio improvement? As I understand it, the ATV4k doesn't pass uncompressed bitstream, rather a LPCM 7.1 for most Netflix, Prime, MA or Vudu streamed content.

I guess the more relevant question would be, if the destination is a 5.2 setup, does DD 5.1 via optical sound inferior to DD+/LPCM 7.1 via HDMI (since my SSP will down-convert the 7.1 into 5.2 anyways)?
It's a good question but I don't know--maybe after living with this a bit longer I'll have more to say, but I think that there may be no actual difference other than the ability to play 7.1. It seemed 'better' to me last night, but I had also made some changes in speaker placement, so I can't say with any certainty.

The optical hookup does vary from TV to TV, as I discovered recently. Some TVs can play DTS 5.1 via optical, but some don't. I'll try comparing the two and report back.
post #22962 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
It's a good question but I don't know--maybe after living with this a bit longer I'll have more to say, but I think that there may be no actual difference other than the ability to play 7.1. It seemed 'better' to me last night, but I had also made some changes in speaker placement, so I can't say with any certainty.

The optical hookup does vary from TV to TV, as I discovered recently. Some TVs can play DTS 5.1 via optical, but some don't. I'll try comparing the two and report back.
Bill - danke schön!
post #22963 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Previews in iTunes Movies

Anyone having trouble loading movie previews in iTunes movies on the ATV4K after the latest update?
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #22964 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Here's a question: When you watch a movie on iTunes or Vudu with Atmos, but you don't have an Atmos AVR, what happens to the Atmos tracks?
I'd suggest running the Atmos test (see the first post in this thread) to see what your system does.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #22965 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey,

I'm wondering what will happen to my iTunes copies of Batman when the 4K editions are released (tomorrow I think.)

I have HD copies of the 80's Batman movies and they won't qualify for upgrade to 4K because I got them through Vudu Disc2Digital and then they ported to iTunes via MoviesAnywhere.

I expect to receive new special features for the 4K versions and also ATMOS sound tracks. It will be easy to tell if I get new special features because only the first of the 4 films currently has extras. What I'm most curious about is will the HD copy get a new master ? The UHD disc comes with a newly mastered 1080p Blu Ray...

I would love to rebuy the old Batman movies in native 4K but will have to watch for them to hit that $4.99 price point.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 06-03-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #22966 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Minor updates to tvOS/TV coming.

However two things of interest:
1) Multi-user/profile support in tvOS.
2) The new 32" 6K display is competing with the BVM-X300. Not OLED but 1M:1 contrast and constant 1,000 nit output and much less than $40K.

post #22967 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
2) The new 32" 6K display is competing with the BVM-X300. Not OLED but 1M:1 contrast and constant 1,000 nit output and much less than $40K.
Peak output is 1600 nit.

(And I avoid OLED ... they burn in... so it not being OLED is a plus.)

Quote "This innovative design allows the display to maintain 1000 nits of brightness indefinitely, and up to 1600 nits of peak brightness. In other words, the Pro Display XDR will allow photo and video editors to work on content as its intended to look like when it’s delivered to the end user."

I guess they count on the end user having one of these too.
post #22968 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I guess they count on the end user having one of these too.
Presumably no more than studios with X300s or Photons in the pipeline expect people to get those.

post #22969 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
I've been predicting that tvOS 13 will include multi-user profile support. Hopefully they've designed it so that individual apps can opt into the system, letting us set a particular profile in Netflix, Hulu, etc. as the default profile to use in that app when tvOS is running a particular profile.

Also, it looks like what has been the TV app will become the actual home screen in tvOS 13, if I understand correctly. (I missed that part of the keynote live but read recaps.)
post #22970 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I've been predicting that tvOS 13 will include multi-user profile support. Hopefully they've designed it so that individual apps can opt into the system, letting us set a particular profile in Netflix, Hulu, etc. as the default profile to use in that app when tvOS is running a particular profile.

Also, it looks like what has been the TV app will become the actual home screen in tvOS 13, if I understand correctly. (I missed that part of the keynote live but read recaps.)
The TV app is not the home screen in tvOS 13, the new one looks very similar to the old home screen just with more rounded corners that match the new TV app design. I'm currently running the developer beta if anyone has any other questions about it.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #22971 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
The TV app is not the home screen in tvOS 13, the new one looks very similar to the old home screen just with more rounded corners that match the new TV app design. I'm currently running the developer beta if anyone has any other questions about it.

I’m running it to and I’m noticing some apps aren’t populating the top shelf. Also still no counts for 4K/HDR and HD in the TV app.

Edit: never mind it was just one app that had a problem with top shelf. Plex Beta.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by m_snow; 06-03-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #22972 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest running the Atmos test (see the first post in this thread) to see what your system does.
I played the "Leaf" trailer using Infuse 6. My AVR displayed multi-channel PCM 3/2.1.

I imagine that any Atmos metadata was completely ignored. But I'm still wondering if the Atmos stuff on iTunes is steering height channel info to the rear surrounds. Probably not--the Annihilation blu-ray has an Atmos track and a 7.1 TrueHD track.

I still need to see what my other Atmos movies do in iTunes. Just curious.
post #22973 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
This may be a long shot but any hints of being able to bitstream TrueHD/Atmos/DTSX tracks?
post #22974 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdoUK View Post
This may be a long shot but any hints of being able to bitstream TrueHD/Atmos/DTSX tracks?

I read through the release notes published in the developer portal, and nothing seemed to indicate that unfortunately.

post #22975 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
I read through the release notes published in the developer portal, and nothing seemed to indicate that unfortunately.

Damn - the one thing that would make this box almost perfect.
galonzo likes this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #22976 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Damn - the one thing that would make this box almost perfect.
Agreed, I would say that, and if they finally fix support for true (albeit rare) 24Hz content (it currently plays back at 23.976Hz, instead of 24.000Hz), it would be damn near perfect.
post #22977 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I played the "Leaf" trailer using Infuse 6. My AVR displayed multi-channel PCM 3/2.1.
You need to get the relevant test-tones file. Not the "trailers".

post #22978 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdoUK View Post
No hint unfortunately and when I installed the beta today I instantly started looking around the audio and video settings but no hints there.

I don't want to divulge anything I shouldn't but there are some nice quality of life features even in this very early beta but one thing I will say is that is is notably snappier and faster overall!
galonzo likes this.
post #22979 of 23752 Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
No hint unfortunately and when I installed the beta today I instantly started looking around the audio and video settings but no hints there.

I don't want to divulge anything I shouldn't but there are some nice quality of life features even in this very early beta but one thing I will say is that is is notably snappier and faster overall!

Any kind of picture or audio quality improvements? For iTunes content?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #22980 of 23752 Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post

Why wouldn't you want to divulge ? ... I don't think of it as a spoiler ... we all want to know.

I hope the developer beta comes to regular beta before too long. I don't really have a use for the multi user because my kids probably won't bother to make users on my ATV4K and if they do it's just something I'll have to switch out of... but maybe it will be an enhancement... I'm usually the only one in "control" of the HT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page