Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 183 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29121Likes

post #5461 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 785
I just sent Apple feedback on this unit about the HDR issues and not including Atmos. The HDR issue is a priority! It was scathing but also polite and I threatened to return. It's a pain to set everything I watch separately and guess if that's the way it's supposed to display. I don't mind different settings and tweaking a picture here and there but really! Anyway if we all do the same it helps! Someone smarter than me can get it done lol
africanlivedit likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have a C6 and I would prefer that any content played through Apple TV 4K show the DV or HDR flag when started so I can know for sure that I'm viewing the correct resolution.

Just realized that when I set the ATV to output Dolby Vision, my E6 picture mode will indicate Dolby Vision for ALL content, even if it is nonDV content. Very frustrating...I can only assume that true DV content is displaying properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #5463 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Random thoughts after a day with the ATV 4K:

• Even though I believe there should be a "Native" or "Passthrough" option for HDR/DV modes, ATV does a better job tone mapping SDR content into HDR then other devices that act this way.
  • That said, it doesn't appear that UHD movies from iTunes (or any other content) support Wide Color Gamut (aka rec2020 colors). My system always reports rec709 for everything I've tried so far. EDIT: This turned out to be a configuration error on my part, rec2020 is used by ATV 4K. Thanks to forum members for helping identify this.
  • Lack of Dolby Atmos support for streaming services is a bummer (I have a 7.1.4 setup), hopefully it will be added via a tvOS 11.x update.
  • As others have reported, Netflix HDR/DV tagging is weird. Didn't show on any content, but then I started the movie "Naked" and when I returned to the lists "Dolby Vision" tags were on all content that supports it (even though my ATV was set to HDR, not Dolby Vision).
  • Typing notification on the phone when a text entry is up on ATV is nice.
  • Frustrating that you can't remove Apple apps (like "Computers" which I don't use), like you can on iPhone.

Last edited by jamesmil; 09-23-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5464 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
For those of you who may be having problems with the Ethernet connection, I just spent two hours on the phone with Apple support. I have AT&T fiber connected via Ethernet to my ATV. When watching 4k/HDR content, after a while the connection would drop and when I tried to restart the movie it would not find the internet connection. Not only that but it would knock out the internet on all of my other devices in the house , both wired and wireless. I had to unplug the Ethernet cable from the ATV to restore the internet connection on my other devices. So there is definitely a conflict being created by the ATV connection. The support tech could not figure it out so he had me run a sysconfig on the ATV and he will have the Apple engineers take a look at it. Will update when I hear back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
nathan_h, Brandon B and goldieloxx like this.

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #5465 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post

[LIST][*]That said, it doesn't appear that UHD movies from iTunes (or any other content) support Wide Color Gamut (aka rec2020 colors). My system always reports rec709 for everything I've tried so far.
Is your TV popping up with a HDR or DV tag when the movie starts? This makes me thinking you aren't getting HDR at all.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
post #5466 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have many problems with my new 4k Apple TV. So I have the Vizio M55-E0 from this year (which supports DV). I have a Denon x1300w (im not sure if it support DV right now, so I have the AppleTV hooked up directly to the TV). The Apple TV puts Dolby Vision on then it cuts to black and keep going back and forth (it does say 2160p + Dolby vision on the top of the screen too). Between being able to use the TV and cutting to black. I have the Amazon HDMI cable they sell, so that is the latest HDMI tech. I have no idea what to do.

Anyone want to chime in to help?
post #5467 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Is your TV popping up with a HDR or DV tag when the movie starts? This makes me thinking you aren't getting HDR at all.

No, HDR works - it pops as soon as the ATV turns on and stays on the whole time (I have it configured for 4:2:2 12-bit 60hz). HDR with rec709 is not unprecedented (YouTube works thus way on the chromecast for example), I was just hoping iTunes movies in UHD would also be WCG.

Last edited by jamesmil; 09-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #5468 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamende View Post
I have many problems with my new 4k Apple TV. So I have the Vizio M55-E0 from this year (which supports DV). I have a Denon x1300w (im not sure if it support DV right now, so I have the AppleTV hooked up directly to the TV). The Apple TV puts Dolby Vision on then it cuts to black and keep going back and forth (it does say 2160p + Dolby vision on the top of the screen too). Between being able to use the TV and cutting to black. I have the Amazon HDMI cable they sell, so that is the latest HDMI tech. I have no idea what to do.

Anyone want to chime in to help?

2016 denons got their DV update this week. Update your firmware.

Which hdmi cable do you have exactly? You should have premium certified as they for sure support the 18gbps needed.

Check your manual to see which hdmi port you should be using. With some TVs only 1 or 2 will work with hdr. And make sure wide color is turned on for that port.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
post #5469 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
2016 denons got their DV update this week. Update your firmware.

Which hdmi cable do you have exactly? You should have premium certified as they for sure support the 18gbps needed.

Check your manual to see which hdmi port you should be using. With some TVs only 1 or 2 will work with hdr. And make sure wide color is turned on for that port.
I have https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B014I8SSD0

The TV is up to date and I'm using the correct port for the HDMI. I'm now looking at the reviews for the cable and it looks like it doesnt work well with the apple tv for some reason...

Also I checked for an update on the 1300w and it just says I'm on the latest. So pending new HDMIn cable, hopefully it works
post #5470 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4590 Post(s)
Liked: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888578 View Post
That unit does airplay streaming, correct?

The choice for speakers on ATV works like this:
When you select "Apple TV", it outputs via the HDMI cable. Other selections will only show if you have airplay speaker options, in this case your AVR...so, with the "AVR X6400H" setting, it was sending the audio to the AVR via AirPlay, and only the video out the HDMI cable.

So, the only time you want to select anything other than "Apple TV" for speakers is if you are not using an AVR and want to stream the audio via bluetooth.
Thanks for the information but the Apple TV 4k is not very intuitive when it comes to the selections.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #5471 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
If you do return it, please also give apple feedback that you returned it and why, it may help them decide to change this, as they can, it is a changeable software limitation, and they put out regular updates. link below

Please give apple feed back, the more people tell them this, the more likely they might change it. link below

I see no reason apple could not change this via software update.

These above things can be changed via software updates, which, if this is your first apple product, apple does on a regular basis, not that they've given us everything, but, the previous gen. ATV is improved since when it first came out, solely due to software updates, no hardware changes.

*I see no reason apple could not make it so it changes video and audio modes while content is playing.

Please give apple feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Things like this can be finicky at times, especially with a new major OS release. First, go to iTunes on your computer and turn off home sharing and turn it back on (maybe even restart your computer first). I would try restarting your ATV. If that doesn't help, sign out of your apple id on the ATV and sign back in, then, try home sharing again.

(EDIT, oops, forgot to comment here): Please be patient, these are apps, the issue(s) is with the app, not the ATV. App updates are pushed out whenever the developers update their apps. These apps work also with the non 4K ATV, and have been for up to 2 years, it may take time for the various app developers to catch up to the release of the 4K ATV...don't expect every app to be perfect on day one of the new device's availability. (Channels are apps). You could try contacting the app support or developer(s), you can do this via iTunes, your computer, or go to the app store on ATV, click on Purchased tab, click on the app in question, scroll to bottom for developer contact info.

ATV 4K outputs an HDMI 2.0a signal. You need HDMI 2.0a or better cables, cables that say they are HDR compatible (or HDR pass thru). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0
this will NOT work: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-6...?skuId=7525078
this one will work: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=4127007

Apple recommends DV certified cables, but, really, they just mean HDMI 2.0a. HDMI 2.0 (or 1.4 for that matter "hi speed + ethernet") will not work.

Check your audio settings, I was playing around with my settings on my ATV yesterday and got crackling at one point...there may be a problem with tvOS 11.0, that may need to be addressed (they are good about software updates)

Settings>Video and Audio>Surround Sound>
Best Quality Available - will put out LPCM
Dolby Digital 5.1 - forces AC3/DD5.1 output
Stereo - forces PCM 2.0 output

see below

See page 174 of this thread for more on how the ATV (both of them) handle audio (scroll way down my post there).
Hi Benji,
My experience with HDR on my LG Oled has been that when it’s on, on certain content the picture is so dark as to be unwatchable. Trying to remember which one in particular. The ability to toggle HDR on the TV has made some content acceptable. Always on HDR on the new ATV could be a deal breaker for me. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Carter

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #5472 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The TV is up to date and I'm using the correct port for the HDMI. I'm now looking at the reviews for the cable and it looks like it doesnt work well with the apple tv for some reason...

Also I checked for an update on the 1300w and it just says I'm on the latest. So pending new HDMIn cable, hopefully it works

I’m using monoprice cables without issue.

My denon x3300w got the update this week. I heard from others the 2300 did as well as higher end models.

post #5473 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, HDR works - it pops as soon as the ABV turns on and stays on the whole time (I have it configured for 4:2:2 12-bit 60hz). HDR with rec709 is not unprecedented (YouTube works thus way on the chromecast for example), I was just hoping iTunes movies in UHD would also be WCG.

What tv do you have?

post #5474 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Just returned it. Told the guy about the lack of an auto/native/passthrough setting and how everything is upconverted to DV no matter the source. I also told him about the audio sync issues and that I expect they will get a lot of returns. He basically recommended the Amazon fire. WOW
post #5475 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Quote:

• Even though I believe there should be a "Native" or "Passthrough" option for HDR/DV modes, ATV does a better job tone mapping SDR content into HDR then other devices that act this way.
  • That said, it doesn't appear that UHD movies from iTunes (or any other content) support Wide Color Gamut (aka rec2020 colors). My system always reports rec709 for everything I've tried so far.
  • Lack of Dolby Atmos support for streaming services is a bummer (I have a 7.1.4 setup), hopefully it will be added via a tvOS 11.x update.
  • As others have reported, Netflix HDR/DV tagging is weird. Didn't show on any content, but then I started the movie "Naked" and when I returned to the lists "Dolby Vision" tags were on all content that supports it (even though my ATV was set to HDR, not Dolby Vision).
  • Typing notification on the phone when a text entry is up on ATV is nice.
  • Frustrating that you can't remove Apple apps (like "Computers" which I don't use), like you can on iPhone.
My LG E6 shows bt2020 when playing an HDR movie.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #5476 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Check your audio settings, I was playing around with my settings on my ATV yesterday and got crackling at one point...there may be a problem with tvOS 11.0, that may need to be addressed (they are good about software updates)

Settings>Video and Audio>Surround Sound>
Best Quality Available - will put out LPCM
Dolby Digital 5.1 - forces AC3/DD5.1 output
Stereo - forces PCM 2.0 output

see below

See page 174 of this thread for more on how the ATV (both of them) handle audio (scroll way down my post there).
I’ll take a look. Perhaps the upgrade changed those settings. It seems to happen intermittently but I have some scenes to retest.

I may download that ufc to see if it happens on a “rebroadcast”
post #5477 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Another weird issue with ATV. I rented Kong Skull Island last night and its listed in the 4K section as DV HDR. When I was watching it, I stopped it for a few minutes. Went back into the 4k section to start playing again. Its was listed in the 4K section, but no longer showed DV, HDR or even HD.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #5478 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
What tv do you have?

LG C7 OLED (but going through a Marantz SR6011 hence the HDR and not DV as it hasn't gotten the DV firmware update yet) - using a HD FURY Linker to see the colorspace being reported.
post #5479 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
My LG E6 shows bt2020 when playing an HDR movie.

Weird - your right I forgot about that TV info view, mine says bt2020 there too but the Linker says 709. May be a misread by the Linker.

UPDATE: This was a config error on my part -- oops. bt2020 now correctly showing. Edited my original post to reflect this.

Last edited by jamesmil; 09-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.
post #5480 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
If you do return it, please also give apple feedback that you returned it and why, it may help them decide to change this, as they can, it is a changeable software limitation, and they put out regular updates.
Also, send email to Tim Cook. They do get read by the corporate offices:

[email protected]

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Oppo UDP-203 4K BD Player
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K BD Player
Denon AVR-X6400H
post #5481 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have mine connected directly to AVR via HDMI but every time I try to play something I just get this:

Please wait
AssigningNetwork

I've tried about 3 times now and get this every time.
Using Ethernet-wire or WiFi ?

I use a real-wire with my ATV4-2015 . Auto-IP from router's DHCP-pool but it's IP is Reserved at router. Most of my other stationary ethernet-wired devices are Fixed-IP . One or the other seems to help.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #5482 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Special thanks to nathan_h, Umenon, and benji888578!

Bought 4K 60Hz 18 Gpbs cables this morning - hooked up ATV5 to LG OLED on HDMI 10, ran audio HDMI from PC on Onkyo TX-NR747 (2016) to LG OLED HDMI 14.

Everything working much better, still have not had much time to play yet, but getting full HDR (need to check out DV settings still on a couple other movies.
nathan_h and benji888578 like this.

Last edited by wxchaser; 09-23-2017 at 12:55 PM.
post #5483 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Apple TV owners' thread.

I'll also say the Multicast feature in the ESPN app is VERY nice on the Apple TV.
tmdorsey, APorter and sean10780 like this.

Last edited by jamesmil; 09-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #5484 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
This cable is not 'premium certified' so may be the source of the problem.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Special thanks to nathan_h, Umenon, and benji888578!

Bought 4K 60Hz 18 Gpbs cables this morning - hooked up ATV5 to LG OLED on HDMI 10, ran audio HDMI from PC on Onkyo TX-NR747 (2016) to LG OLED HDMI 14.

Everything working much better, still have not had much time to play yet, but getting full HDR (need to check out DV settings still on a couple other movies.
Glad it helped. Dumb factor but important.
post #5485 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just sent an email to Tim (understand that some Apple PR person will read it):

———
Hi Tim,

I just purchased the new Apple TV 4K and am heartbroken to learn that I will need to return it. The Apple TV forces all content into HDR instead of dynamically switching between HDR/Dolby Vision/SDR depending on the content type. I love movies. I want to see them the way the creators intended.

I am also disheartened that Apple TV does not support Dolby Atmos and Bitstream audio support. Last but not least I truly dislike that Apple TV does not natively switch Hz depending on a movie’s frame rate. I understand that some TVs flicker while they switch modes and that this is not very “Apple” but at least give your movie enthusiasts an option to turn this on.

I am an incredible Apple fan boy. I have owned every single iPhone. Every iPad. My entire company uses Macs. I am all in on HomeKit. But in my living I now have an NVIDIA Shield. I hate having an Android device in my household. I really, truly, hate it. The only thing I disliked more was an Apple TV that forces HDR on all my content, doesn’t permit native frame rate switching, and doesn’t support Dolby Atmos and bitstream audio.

I hope that Apple will reconsider their approach and allow users more control over how their content is displayed.
———

I think we all need to make a lot of noise for Apple to make a change. This is not a mistake. Apple has intended the Apple TV to work this way because they think it’s the way to go. Apple as a company seldomly changes course once they believe their way is the right way.
post #5486 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
This cable is not 'premium certified' so may be the source of the problem.

Glad it helped. Dumb factor but important.
Yeah - I could have sworn my HDMI cables were good and high speed, but on the ATV5 they weren't working properly - so you were right!
post #5487 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Luckily, under 25', mono price has crazy cheap options that are Premium Certified. Longer than that and you must use optical cable. (Luckily they have those, too, but of course they are still 3 figure prices.)
post #5488 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Ridiculous that hdmi cables affect functionality.

What a crappy standard.
post #5489 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I’m using monoprice cables without issue.

My denon x3300w got the update this week. I heard from others the 2300 did as well as higher end models.
My Denon X1300W sadly hasnt received an update yet. I tried to plug in my Apple TV to it and enable Dolby Vision. Sadly it didnt work. I bought a new HDMI cable and connected it directly with the TV and now it works. Hopefully the Denon gets an update soon
post #5490 of 25589 Old 09-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mixed impressions

Have been playing with my new Apple TV 4K 64GB for a few hours. I really want to like it. Here are some first impressions.

My TV: 2015 Sony XBR75X850C (supports HDR10).
My receiver: Denon S910W. I have a 5.1.2 ATMOS speaker setup.
I also have the latest Shield TV and a Sony X800 4K blu-ray player (both attached via the Denon). I recently got rid of my XBOX One S as it was a terrible HDMI CEC citizen.

(+) After making lots of picture adjustments, I love the picture quality from the Apple TV 4K for apps like Netflix, HBO Now, Starz, Epix, etc.

(+) Most items almost instantly go their full resolution when streaming on the Apple TV. On the Shield, sometimes Hulu, Amazon and Netflix take up to 30-90 seconds to go to full resolution. Everything is gigabit ethernet connected on my home network with a 300Mbits internet access. Sadly on the Apple TV there's no way of knowing what the actual stream stats are, but just by observation, content from Hulu, HBO Now, Netflix look pretty good - like they do on my TV's native apps which are the benchmark for me. The shield does NOT excel with its forced upscaling of 1080p - the Apple TV does a better job.

(+) 4K HDR content on Netflix and iTunes Movies look pretty good. About the same as my Netflix native app on TV (my benchmark), and 4K HDR movies on iTunes are "close" to disc 4K blu ray player - tad softer than 4K blu-ray disks, and a tad less bright on the highlights. Very little difference.

(+) Sound quality on the Apple TV is pretty awesome even though there's no bitstream. I do love ATMOS on my Shield though.

(+) Some of the non-HDR things look pretty nice due to the forced HDR mode, including Game of Thrones on the HBO app looks like how I'd imagine the HDR version of that show would look like when it officially comes out. For comparison, I think the XBOX One S also locks picture mode to the highest content in the app (4K/HDR etc.) at the app level for ALL content in that app. The Shield also forces 4K upscaling (inferior to Sony TV's upscaling) instead of sending native resolution and frequency, but does not force HDR mode. I hope the HDR conversion of non-HDR content improves over time and is made optional, so those who don't want it can turn it off, and I can leave it on.

(+) A few of my movies on iTunes got promoted to 4K HDR. Awesome. This, and the cheaper 4K HDR content might be the ONLY reason I will hold on to the Apple TV, although there is some bad news right below here.

(-) When Apple TV is attached to Denon, it permanently leaves the Denon output (hence the picture setting for HDMI input on TV where Denon is attached) to HDR. So if I then try to play the Shield, which is also coming via the Denon, it is hard coded to HDR. When attached via the Denon, HDMI CEC stuff works well between the Apple TV, TV, and Denon. For example, I can control the Apple TV using the Sony TV remote, and I can change volume of Denon from Apple TV remote (via HDMI). But since it "takes over" the Denon output to be always HDR even for the other devices attached to the Denon (or rather leaves the picture setting on TV's HDMI input for the Denon's permanently to HDR), I cannot have this config. Even turnign the TV and receiver off and on does not let go of the HDR mode on that input. Bizarre thing number 1.

(-) Because of the above issue, I connected the Apple TV directly to another HDMI input on the TV, so that that input would have its own HDR picture setting and my other devices on the Denon don't get locked to HDR. This is especially acceptable since the Apple TV does not output bitstream/ATMOS etc for my Denon to take advantage of anyway. However, in this config, I lose HDMI CEC control between the TV and the Apple TV. The wonderful HDMI CEC interplay described above is gone. No mroe control of Apple TV using Sony TV remote (not a big deal), and no more Denon volume control from Apple TV remote (I have to switch it to control TV volume via IR to use the Apple TV remote for volume control). Bizarre thing number 2.

(-) Plex app on Apple TV is a disappointment. Does not play any of my HDR files in HDR (TV is in HDR more of course, but colors are washed out). Secondly, all 4K files take forever to start streaming on Plex. They play beautifully and instantly via the Shield. My Plex server is a Mac on the local network, not on the Shield, so Shield has no configuration advantage here. Hopefully the Plex app will be updated soon for proper 4K/HDR support on the Apple TV. The app currently fails when playing files that have ATMOS sound encoding. Just aborts playing those right away.

(-) No Amazon, no 4K in Vudu or YouTube. I expect these to be resolved soon (at least we've been told by Apple regarding Amazon).

(-) The Apple TV remote becomes unresponsive for a few seconds occasionally. Same with my Shield TV.

Please forgive any non-clarity in my points above. I'll gladly clarify.

Last edited by MrBullwyf; 09-23-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo fixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page