Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29101Likes

post #7501 of 25521 Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I’m assuming you’re hooked directly to the display? Have you tried any other display inputs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, to no avail. There’s a chance that my purchased content is zero black where it should be and that it’s just my imagination (it’s certainly close at any rate), but I can’t understand how anyone is claiming to no have no issues with Netflix on the ATV4K. The black levels are atrocious. Brighter scenes look fine of course, but any scenes taking place in the “Upside Down” in the current season of Stranger Things for example are honestly difficult for me to differentiate shapes in due to how washed out/compressed they are; they’re just a smearing of gray, along with the black bars, to the point where the picture looks full screen and not it’s actual aspect ratio. It has been reported that the ATV4K has issues with HDR black levels elsewhere on the thread, so I’m beginning to think it’s not my display thankfully. I will say that a few times during playback when the screen goes fully black, like in between scenes, I see zero black as I should.

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 25521 Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Stranger Things 2 Looks okay as hdr10 output. Can’t speak to DV because I don’t have a way to test.
galonzo likes this.
post #7503 of 25521 Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Indeed, I haven't seen anywhere that the HomePod will work like a Sonos system where you can assign channels to multiple speakers to work in tandem.
There are no reviews yet, however it was stated during the press preview, if two Homepods are in a room, they will sense each other and play in a Left/right stereo config. Can you put more than two in a room? We won’t know that answer until December. Airplay 2 seems to be next in the AppleTV betas. Maybe we’ll get an idea as to how this will all work soon.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Code Redemption with ATV 4K

You all made me curious. I always gave away most of my codes as I figured the streamed film would not be good, but after reading many of the posts here, I loaded a few that I had left. I am very impressed.

Very cool.
post #7505 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
Yes, to no avail. There’s a chance that my purchased content is zero black where it should be and that it’s just my imagination (it’s certainly close at any rate), but I can’t understand how anyone is claiming to no have no issues with Netflix on the ATV4K. The black levels are atrocious. Brighter scenes look fine of course, but any scenes taking place in the “Upside Down” in the current season of Stranger Things for example are honestly difficult for me to differentiate shapes in due to how washed out/compressed they are; they’re just a smearing of gray, along with the black bars, to the point where the picture looks full screen and not it’s actual aspect ratio. It has been reported that the ATV4K has issues with HDR black levels elsewhere on the thread, so I’m beginning to think it’s not my display thankfully. I will say that a few times during playback when the screen goes fully black, like in between scenes, I see zero black as I should.

The Vizio P series is working perfectly with the ATV4k. Not rubbing it in just saying that it’s likely a problem with your model parsing the metadata. It will get worked out. I’d File a report w Apple.

tylerk86 likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #7506 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
There are no reviews yet, however it was stated during the press preview, if two Homepods are in a room, they will sense each other and play in a Left/right stereo config. Can you put more than two in a room? We won’t know that answer until December. Airplay 2 seems to be next in the AppleTV betas. Maybe we’ll get an idea as to how this will all work soon.

Stranger Things Season 2 looks amazing in DolbyVision. Easily the best grading for anything produced for Netflix thus far. Vizio P75 is working perfectly w the new ATV4k running 11.2 beta. Black levels are perfect. Color rendition is fantastic.

Range and Frame Rate auto switching is working very well.

nathan_h, timeisapear and tylerk86 like this.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #7507 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I may have missed you saying this, but have you tried comparing the same scenes using the TV's on board Netflix app? I have a C6P and did some comparisons with ST2 in Dolby Vision between the tv app and the ATV4K. They look very similar on my set up, with maybe a bit more detail showing using the ATV4K. I'm not seeing any smearing in Stranger Things2 as of yet.
galonzo likes this.
post #7508 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Stranger Things Season 2 looks amazing in DolbyVision. Easily the best grading for anything produced for Netflix thus far. Vizio P75 is working perfectly w the new ATV4k running 11.2 beta. Black levels are perfect. Color rendition is fantastic.

Is the frame rate switching already working with Netflix and tvOS 11.2 beta? That would surprise me since the video on Apple's developer website suggests that there needs to be an active support of the feature in order to make the best use of it. Of course it could be that Netflix is always presenting the content in the original frame rate/HDR mode from the server to tvOS and it's just letting it handle it rather than doing a conversion.
post #7509 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Is TVOS 11.1 still a beta release or is it now official? I ask because my apple tv 4 was updated to 11.1 and I dont have beta updates turned on. Anyone notice some flickering on 11.1 on the main menu when in Dolby Vision mode?
You do realize you just answered your own question, don't you?

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #7510 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Is the frame rate switching already working with Netflix and tvOS 11.2 beta? That would surprise me since the video on Apple's developer website suggests that there needs to be an active support of the feature in order to make the best use of it. Of course it could be that Netflix is always presenting the content in the original frame rate/HDR mode from the server to tvOS and it's just letting it handle it rather than doing a conversion.

I have auto Frame Rate set to ON and Strangers Things 2 syncs at 24mhz and The Five sync’s at 50mhz... so yes, I believe it’s working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nathan_h and Soundizer17 like this.

post #7511 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
You do realize you just answered your own question, don't you?
Yeah I do, but thank you for pointing it out 🤓. I’m looking forward to when the 11.2 is finally public. I do notice the flickering and I guess that is what I was more interested in.
ataneruo likes this.
post #7512 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
i just posted about this flickering, so far I only noticed this is main menu. I tried going back to TVOS 11.0 but it is installing 11.1 instead ugh.
I finally found a fix to the flickering with C7/B7 and ATV4K. Turn on "Trumotion" and select the user mode. Then set both sliders to zero. This will turn the flickering off without enabling the soap opera effect. Don't ask me how or why but it works. Good luck.
post #7513 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Just found this.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/01/...eo-output-hdr/
galonzo likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #7514 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Just read it too, great news...

Cmon Amazon app...

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #7515 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have auto Frame Rate set to ON and Strangers Things 2 syncs at 24mhz and The Five sync’s at 50mhz... so yes, I believe it’s working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good to hear. I wonder what happens with apps like Plex or Infuse.

Stuff likes this makes me seriously debate about turning on the beta program for my ATV5 (I have a couple of Macs that participate).
post #7516 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbahr View Post
I finally found a fix to the flickering with C7/B7 and ATV4K. Turn on "Trumotion" and select the user mode. Then set both sliders to zero. This will turn the flickering off without enabling the soap opera effect. Don't ask me how or why but it works. Good luck.
Thanks I’ll try this when I get home.
post #7517 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I think I'm now seeing what you're seeing. Not sure if it's always been there and I've not noticed it until now or if it's new. Is it possible is has to do with Netflix post processing they do to a lot of their titles and not really anything wrong with ATV or C7? I always go back to Chef's Table Season 3 as a dolby vision reference which still looks great to me. Overall I still think ST2 looks really good but I get what you're saying.
post #7518 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbahr View Post
I think I'm now seeing what you're seeing. Not sure if it's always been there and I've not noticed it until now or if it's new. Is it possible is has to do with Netflix post processing they do to a lot of their titles and not really anything wrong with ATV or C7? I always go back to Chef's Table Season 3 as a dolby vision reference which still looks great to me. Overall I still think ST2 looks really good but I get what you're saying.
I'm going to check out Chef's Table when I get home today. Are you seeing zero black bars when you watch it? That's all I'm concerned with; if the content itself is washed out then I would assume it's a mastering or processing issue. However, the black bars being washed out and not true black is a different story.
jb442386 likes this.

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
post #7519 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Good to hear. I wonder what happens with apps like Plex or Infuse.

Stuff likes this makes me seriously debate about turning on the beta program for my ATV5 (I have a couple of Macs that participate).
Apps like Plex that use the default renderer will get this feature by default.

Apps like Infuse, that don't, will have to update their apps to make use of this feature.

Last edited by nathan_h; 11-01-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #7520 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Did a bunch more testing on the Comedy Central app and switching between Netflix SDR and HDR content on tvOS 11.2 and fortunately have not encountered any bugs, at least on my setup.

Here's hoping they turn this one around and get a public release out there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Ah, must've missed it since I was just glancing that the live blog as it was going on. Seems like a waste to have two smart devices sitting next to one another and there will be numerous superior and cheaper alternatives to that but to each their own!
post #7521 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

Great to know. What TV do you have?

I may try out 11.2b tonight ... is there a way to rollback to 11.1 if things don’t work out (just in case)?
post #7522 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Great to know. What TV do you have?

I may try out 11.2b tonight ... is there a way to rollback to 11.1 if things don’t work out (just in case)?

Vizio P75

Not sure on restoring to a previous version.

Good luck!

post #7523 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Did a bunch more testing on the Comedy Central app and switching between Netflix SDR and HDR content on tvOS 11.2 and fortunately have not encountered any bugs, at least on my setup.
Is it possible to run UI in SDR but run Drone Screensavers in HDR?
post #7524 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn't look like it.
post #7525 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Is it possible to run UI in SDR but run Drone Screensavers in HDR?
Unfortunately no, the OS stays in HDR if HDR is enabled.
post #7526 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Unfortunately no, the OS stays in HDR if HDR is enabled.
With the autoswitching, is there any reason not to run it in HDR?

Looky here!
post #7527 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnim View Post
I’m using on a B6 as well. Have found some lip sync issues with DV content (running via AVR) but weirdly not with HDR10 content. Also pleased with both HDR10 60Hz and DV 30Hz. Can I ask what motion settings you’re using? Finding some artefacts around moving objects in iTunes content which is a bit irritating at the moment.

Thanks
I use TrueMotion with De-judder set to 0 and De-blur set to 10.
post #7528 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I cannot think of a reason, no.
post #7529 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Apps like Plex that use the default renderer will get this feature by default.

Apps like Infuse, that don't, will have to update their apps to make use of this feature.
I just read on Firecore.com that Infuse will be updated to take advantage of the new feature. If you manually set your ATV5 to 24fps, then it will present your ripped 24 fps content properly for the time being. So there's that.
post #7530 of 25521 Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Quote:
I cannot think of a reason, no.
These may not matter to you but three or four occur to me: More power consumption on LCD/LED TV's, possibly image retention on OLED, and both increased energy consumption and increased lamp wear on projectors.

(I'm assuming that "accurate" color, grayscale and EOTF don't really matter for the screen savers or home screen, but if those do matter to you, and you have a TV that enters uncalibratable torch mode for HDR sources, I support that might be another reason.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page