Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28109Likes

post #9571 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4452 Post(s)
Liked: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisapear View Post
Will purchasing The Dark Knight trilogy on sale for $35 now on iTunes give 4K HDR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that's what I did and I got all 3 titles in 4k when viewing on Apple TV 4k. I didn't think the video was great on "Batman Begins" and I haven't seen the other two yet.

lujan
524 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 196
When I bought the Dark Night trilogy all the movies appeared as HD. 2 days later they are all appearing as 4K HDR. Same thing happened with Interstellar.
post #9573 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paincakes View Post
Hi all,

I'm noticing odd "flashes" of distorted images in the menus (and maybe during content as well). These occur maybe every 20 seconds or so. I've seen this reported here before, and was wondering if there was a fix / setting or update I missed?

I have:

- Apple TV 4K running 4k @ 60Hz Dolby Vision

- LG Oled 65 inch B7A

Thanks!

Does it happen at 4K @ 30 Hz ? Are you connected directly to the TV (if not , try that out).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9574 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 126
There was an update to the Amazon app today stating there is now 5.1 audio on all UHD titles with HD and SD coming soon.
post #9575 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Anybody else think 4k hdr on netflix looks like crap? I could excuse it for lower resolution/bitrate but a lot of their shows have the black level off too. The ranch for instance looks dim and has an elevated black level to me. Punisher less so, but even it wasn't great, and OMG it has horrible film grain.

Maybe I'm just too damn picky, but the 4k hdr stuff in itunes and then 4k hdr games on xbox one x look great. So I'm hesitant to blame my projector (jvc rs640). I think I might try out amazon too to see if it's just netflix or all 3rd party apps on my atv.
post #9576 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yes, that's what I did and I got all 3 titles in 4k when viewing on Apple TV 4k. I didn't think the video was great on "Batman Begins" and I haven't seen the other two yet.

Same experience, Batman Begins looks like I'm watching a DVD, hopefully Apple sorts this out in the next few days.
post #9577 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by daWill View Post
Anybody else think 4k hdr on netflix looks like crap? I could excuse it for lower resolution/bitrate but a lot of their shows have the black level off too. The ranch for instance looks dim and has an elevated black level to me. Punisher less so, but even it wasn't great, and OMG it has horrible film grain.
Try watching Sparks.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #9578 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

All the Marvel shows are super grainy, that's just the way they are shot/produced.
post #9579 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
There was an update to the Amazon app today stating there is now 5.1 audio on all UHD titles with HD and SD coming soon.
I tried an HD title last night on the Amazon app and got 5.1 so I'm thinking it may have been fixed?

lujan
524 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #9580 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchfoots View Post
Same experience, Batman Begins looks like I'm watching a DVD, hopefully Apple sorts this out in the next few days.
I wonder how people that bought the 4k disc think about the video quality? Is it the encode or is it just Apple? How about those that watched it on Vudu?

lujan
524 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #9581 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

Maybe I'm just too damn picky, but the 4k hdr stuff in itunes and then 4k hdr games on xbox one x look great. So I'm hesitant to blame my projector (jvc rs640). I think I might try out amazon too to see if it's just netflix or all 3rd party apps on my atv.
Yesterday I picked up a Roku Streaming Stick+, because I just can't leave well enough alone. I ran the same scene (in Punisher actually) on the ATV, my TV's app, and the Roku. The ATV had noticeably less "pop" in the light bulbs and computers screens etc. I couldn't "side by side", more like one after another, so all I had was my recall cycling through, but I couldn't notice a distinct difference between my TV app and the Roku, but the ATV was definitely more muted in the highlights.

I did the same thing between Roku (Vudu) and the ATV on Sully, and really couldn't pick up a distinct difference like I could on Netflix, but I didn't spend much time with it. I didn't compare Amazon yet.

I wouldn't call the ATV Netflix picture on Punisher crap, other than the intentional crappiness of filling it with grain and not being very colorful, but the lesser highlights were noticeable and that is my favorite part of HDR. Full disclosure...my TV doesn't do DV so I was working with HDR10...so YMMV. I will probably be watching Netflix HDR on my Roku or TV going forward.

That said, on Netflix and Hulu, on some SDR content, I actually prefer the "upscaled" HDR that the ATV sends to my TV when I don't have native dynamic range set. Future Man on Hulu and Dark on Netflix in particular. That's probably scandalous, but I liked it. I like how it looks on WatchESPN as well.
post #9582 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM

This might be too specific, but I'll give it a try.

Has anyone with an HDR10 non-DV television compared picture quality between ATV's Dolby Vision movies (converted to HDR10) versus "native" HDR10 on Vudu, Ultra, FandangoNow, etc through a Roku or TV app?

My TV is not Dolby Vision, so I've been a little bit concerned around the idea that when I choose a movie in Dolby Version, I'm getting some kind of converted to HDR10 stream. I've heard some people say the HDR10 is just extracted, but it looks like it's converted somehow, and maybe that conversion is not as good.

I think the only thing in my collection that I have HDR in two places (iTunes and Vudu) is Sully...I tried to compare and I'm not sure that's a great move for comparison.
post #9583 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
... I've been a little bit concerned around the idea that when I choose a movie in Dolby Version, I'm getting some kind of converted to HDR10 stream.
Yes you are.

There's always a chance that, like a disc, streaming DV is meta-data with an HDR10 base layer but:
1) The specs for the ATV profile seem to say no.
2) The meta-data from a DV to HDR10 conversion isn't constant which would seem to violate HDR10.

Fortunately point 2 doesn't seem to cause a problem with displays. Perhaps rendering engines ignore all luminance meta-data after the first valid packet. However I will now watch a native HDR10 feature and see what my Vertex reports.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #9584 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Yesterday I picked up a Roku Streaming Stick+, because I just can't leave well enough alone. I ran the same scene (in Punisher actually) on the ATV, my TV's app, and the Roku. The ATV had noticeably less "pop" in the light bulbs and computers screens etc. I couldn't "side by side", more like one after another, so all I had was my recall cycling through, but I couldn't notice a distinct difference between my TV app and the Roku, but the ATV was definitely more muted in the highlights.

I did the same thing between Roku (Vudu) and the ATV on Sully, and really couldn't pick up a distinct difference like I could on Netflix, but I didn't spend much time with it. I didn't compare Amazon yet.

I wouldn't call the ATV Netflix picture on Punisher crap, other than the intentional crappiness of filling it with grain and not being very colorful, but the lesser highlights were noticeable and that is my favorite part of HDR. Full disclosure...my TV doesn't do DV so I was working with HDR10...so YMMV. I will probably be watching Netflix HDR on my Roku or TV going forward.

That said, on Netflix and Hulu, on some SDR content, I actually prefer the "upscaled" HDR that the ATV sends to my TV when I don't have native dynamic range set. Future Man on Hulu and Dark on Netflix in particular. That's probably scandalous, but I liked it. I like how it looks on WatchESPN as well.
I got the same HDR10 limitations. However, the grain absolutely does look bad on my 135" screen. On my 4k sdr tv downstairs which is only 85" it's not noticeable. I can live with grain if it's from an older movie or something but there shouldn't be grain in anything recent. It's like they artificially added it for some unknown reason. It's not like the punisher it's some artsy piece either. There is absolutely zero reason for it to be there.

I might tinker around with my xbox one x some on the netflix side. The picture is definitely different and likely has more pop, but I swear the bitrate must be lower or something. I guess I just need to pick my preference. My xbox does have atmos which is nice..
post #9585 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked: 6000
Quote:
I got the same HDR10 limitations. However, the grain absolutely does look bad on my 135" screen. On my 4k sdr tv downstairs which is only 85" it's not noticeable. I can live with grain if it's from an older movie or something but there shouldn't be grain in anything recent. It's like they artificially added it for some unknown reason. It's not like the punisher it's some artsy piece either. There is absolutely zero reason for it to be there.

I might tinker around with my xbox one x some on the netflix side. The picture is definitely different and likely has more pop, but I swear the bitrate must be lower or something. I guess I just need to pick my preference. My xbox does have atmos which is nice..

It’s not for some unknown reason. They are trying to emulate film and feel that the grain “adds” to the picture. The problem in most cases is that many people are viewing these movies and shows and think that everything should look like the demos that run at stores or they can watch on YouTube. Even with HDR (regardless of flavor) and 4K people still have to deal with creator intent.
post #9586 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

That grain is just there, it's in all the Marvel shows (and a few others...The OA if I remember), and it's atrocious. It's been discussed ad nauseum on the HDR Titles thread, with the general consensus that yes it was artificially added. I just can't believe how HEAVY it is. Sometimes it looks like the days when you had an antenna not quite dialed in and watched through the white noise. It's terrible.

There's no getting rid of it, it's baked in. It's perfectly possible that it's much more visible with the ATV, but it's been remarked upon with all HDR displays and all Netflix sources. I'm shocked it's not noticeable at 85" in SDR, but maybe the HDR grade brings it out more? In any event, the grain is not an ATV issue.

Try out She's Gotta Have it on Netflix instead. That's some razor sharp stuff right there...
ataneruo and dodo/lurker like this.
post #9587 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Tidal is now on Apple TV.
nathan_h likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #9588 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Yes you are.

There's always a chance that, like a disc, streaming DV is meta-data with an HDR10 base layer but:
1) The specs for the ATV profile seem to say no.
2) The meta-data from a DV to HDR10 conversion isn't constant which would seem to violate HDR10.

Fortunately point 2 doesn't seem to cause a problem with displays. Perhaps rendering engines ignore all luminance meta-data after the first valid packet. However I will now watch a native HDR10 feature and see what my Vertex reports.
Thanks, that would be great. That conversion (vs a base layer) seems to be the consensus...what I don't know is if I should be particularly concerned about the picture quality. If it's a distinction without difference, I'll be fine with it...it doesn't bother me if it's not "proper" if it's not really a visible difference. But it seems like it would...I probably have to do a bunch of A/B testing...just wondering if anyone has already done that.
post #9589 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
When I bought the Dark Night trilogy all the movies appeared as HD. 2 days later they are all appearing as 4K HDR. Same thing happened with Interstellar.
so can you buy the HD versions of these directly on itunes right now and get the 4k hdr?
post #9590 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
so can you buy the HD versions of these directly on itunes right now and get the 4k hdr?
It's using Apple upgrade program where if you redeem a digital code or buy directly from iTunes in HD, it will automatically upgrade to 4k when it becomes available. You can only watch it on the Apple TV 4k and it won't port to other retailers. I bought the HD Dark Knight trilogy from iTunes and I can watch them on my Apple TV 4k in 4k but it still shows these items as HD only on Vudu.
Ph8te likes this.

lujan
524 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #9591 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
However I will now watch a native HDR10 feature and see what my Vertex reports.
I watched three HDR10 features. Each displayed static luminance data. Two were as expected but one (Deadpool) reported 9,931/994. So sad.

post #9592 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paincakes View Post
Hi all,

I'm noticing odd "flashes" of distorted images in the menus (and maybe during content as well). These occur maybe every 20 seconds or so. I've seen this reported here before, and was wondering if there was a fix / setting or update I missed?

I have:
- Apple TV 4K running 4k @ 60Hz Dolby Vision
- LG Oled 65 inch B7A

Thanks!
If you turn off Dolby Vision, do the flashes go away? I had this issue (and sparkly image) in DV until I got a different HDMI cable. No issues in HDR10. Also, not all 18gbps cables are the same, so make sure to get a reasonably good one.
post #9593 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet in here:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...e-apple-tv-app
post #9594 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
I watched three HDR10 features. Each displayed static luminance data. Two were as expected but one (Deadpool) reported 9,931/994. So sad.

What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
cydeweyz and ataneruo like this.
post #9595 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
That doesn't make any sense. You could verify tunneling back through your purchase history under your ID in settings that you do really, really have it. If you bought DVD grade copy it would still at least be HDR of DV at Apple's 2228 pixel wide version for non-4K HDR.

I have Movies Anywhere of DKR and it stupidly shows as 4K in my movies section, but of course HD from the pulldown on Apple TV. On Apple TV it is not in 4K/HDR section, but TDK from MA is on my iPad in Dolby Vision in the HDR section of my TV app library (iPads at best used 2228 pixel wide, but HDR/DV is stunning.)

Your copy is behaving like movies anywhere copy on Apple TV plain and simple.
I'm in the same boat with many of my movies. I used Vudu for the past few years. Now with Movies Anywhere I have tons of titles that show up in my Purchased list on ATV4K. I've been purchasing upgrades as iTunes has allowed. However, I have several titles that are available in 4K HDR or DV on iTunes, but I cannot upgrade. For example, I own the original "Ghostbusters" or "Inception" through UV redemption on Vudu. I can play them in HD, but there appears to be no option to purchase an upgrade.

Any suggestions?
post #9596 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBran24 View Post
I'm in the same boat with many of my movies. I used Vudu for the past few years. Now with Movies Anywhere I have tons of titles that show up in my Purchased list on ATV4K. I've been purchasing upgrades as iTunes has allowed. However, I have several titles that are available in 4K HDR or DV on iTunes, but I cannot upgrade. For example, I own the original "Ghostbusters" or "Inception" through UV redemption on Vudu. I can play them in HD, but there appears to be no option to purchase an upgrade.

Any suggestions?
There should be an option to gift it to someone. Gift it to your own email.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
post #9597 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBran24 View Post

Any suggestions?

Go thru yesterday's posts regarding this topic. You have to gift the upgraded version (at full price) to yourself in order to upgrade something in your library. It won't let you just straight-up re-purchase the movie from the normal "Buy" screen in iTunes.
post #9598 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Tidal is now on Apple TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet in here:
tidal-continues-push-on-apple-platforms-with-native-apple-tv-app
Six posts before yours.
Ph8te likes this.

post #9599 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
What does that mean?
I don't understand your 'Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro' question.

post #9600 of 24244 Old 12-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Six posts before yours.
Sorry, just saw the last page before I posted with no mentions, I missed that one...apologies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page