Decided to call Apple about my issue with The Dark Knight.
1. Talked to support, took my info, transferred me to an iTunes support guy.
2. 20 minutes later.. iTunes guy tells me you only get 4k on movies that were purchased as 4k. I corrected him. Put on hold for 15 or so minutes. Transferred to Apple TV support.
3. Apple TV guy tells me it’s not an Apple problem, but the movie studio. He says just because the store shows a movie available in 4k doesn’t mean the upgrade for an HD movie is available. I corrected him. Put on hold.
4. Comes back, gets some more info from me. Serial number etc. put on hold. Comes back. Says he searched for similar issues. None available. Says it could be because there’s multiple versions of the movie on the store. He verifies that that is not the case with TDK. Put on hold.
5. Comes back telling me this is weird. He’s gonna dig some more. Put on hold.
6. Comes back and compliments me on my large iTunes library. Says I’m a “movie buff”. Puts me hold.
7. Comes back and says he’s transferring me to some higher up. Higher up verifies my account info and security questions. Says the problem is on apples end. Is very nice and wants to work out my issue. Said he sees something about something (don’t remember exactly what he said). Says he needs to work with the tech group. Gives me contact number, email and case file. Says he will contact me tomorrow afternoon, but thinks they will be able to fix it.
The call took a total of 1 hour and 19 minutes. It can be annoying when a support person is not very well informed about their own products that they are troubleshooting. But they were nice. Hopefully I’ll be watching TDK in 4k tomorrow night. I’ve been in the Apple ecosystem for almost 6 years. All of movie/tv show/music purchases are through iTunes. I’m 100 percent digital. I’ve had minimal issues throughout my time with Apple so I’m not upset about this. All in all I’ve been extremely happy with their products and support. Just dealing with a hiccup.