Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32788Likes

post #12691 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Video chain is straight from the Apple TV oto my TCL P605. The only setting on the TCL for enabling full 4K support is to switch the input mode from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0, which I have done.

After messing around with a number of other movies I'm starting to wonder if there is just something wrong with the DV transfer of Despicable Me 1 & 2. Every other movie I have tried looks really, really good, even other animated movies including Despicable Me 3. 1 & 2 are the only movies I have come across that have this over saturated look.

Here are a couple pics I took with my phone. I know, phone pics suck but, it's an okay example of what I'm seeing.

4K SDR, trust me it looks better irl:

4K DV. Looks the same if I force the ATV to HDR. Trust me, the saturation is not from the camera. It actually looks worse then the pic shows:

I figured the pink/purple image was most likely a handshake issue and after happening a few times it hasn't happened since.

The audio drops, skips are the only thing consistently happening with DV but, only at 4k/60p. Audio is fine at 4k/24p DV.

I think this will get fixed when my new monoprice cables get here on Tuesday. Despicable Me 1 & 2 are still head strachters but, so far they are the only 2 with that issue.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Just now getting a 4K tv, safe to say that from a cost perspective, Apple 4K tv > 4K player + physical media?

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #12693 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a ATV 4K and have a Harmony Elite. I can add the device and activities, but for some reason, my Elite doesn't control anything at all on my ATV 4K. Can someone hep me out to get this remote to work?

Thanks
I'm not sure what I can add to help you. When I got my ATV 4K I simply plugged the Elite into my PC, added the ATV 4K device and created an activity for playing the ATV with my Anthem AVM 60 and LG 65E6P. Everything has worked flawlessly without having to add any extra steps or make any adjustments to the activity. I have full control of the ATV 4K although I haven't added the "Full Reboot" step as some people have done for the ATV.

Anthem AVM 60, 7.2.4 configuration with Emotive XPA-7 Gen3 and Anthem PVA 4 amplifiers.
B&W 683 S2 (FLR); B&W HTM61 S2 (C); B&W 685 S2 (SLR); B&W 685 S2 (RSLR); 4 x B&W CCM663 (Ceiling/Presence/Atmos); 2 x Sunfire HRS-12 (Subwoofers)
LG OLED65E6P, OPPO UDP-203, Project RPM1 Carbon Turntable, Apple TV 4K, Ultralink HDC-150 Power, Harmony Elite Remote, Arris Cable Box, Primacoustics London 12 Room Treatment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12694 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6997 Post(s)
Liked: 7067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Just now getting a 4K tv, safe to say that from a cost perspective, Apple 4K tv > 4K player + physical media?

Physical media still trumps digital media. ATV4K and a UHDBR player would be the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post
Hi,

I just bought a ATV 4K and have a Harmony Elite. I can add the device and activities, but for some reason, my Elite doesn't control anything at all on my ATV 4K. Can someone hep me out to get this remote to work?

Thanks

Same as the previous poster, when I set up my activities via my PC it immediately controlled my ATV4K. Have you looked at the activities to make sure you have successfully added the ATV4K?
ataneruo likes this.
post #12695 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Video chain is straight from the Apple TV oto my TCL P605. The only setting on the TCL for enabling full 4K support is to switch the input mode from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0, which I have done.

After messing around with a number of other movies I'm starting to wonder if there is just something wrong with the DV transfer of Despicable Me 1
I believe that photo is DM around 1:15. It looks fine here in DV.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #12696 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure what your relation means. Are you suggesting that an ATV4K (plus content costs) is cheaper or more expensive or what?

post #12697 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure what your relation means. Are you suggesting that an ATV4K (plus content costs) is cheaper or more expensive or what?
yes
When cost is the determining factor in making a determination of what it ?better?, I am under the impression that the cost of Atv plus media will be cheaper than the cost of 4K player + DVD?s
Correct?
Thanks

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #12698 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am under the impression that the cost of Atv plus media will be cheaper than the cost of 4K player + DVD?s
Yes that should be true.
5x10 likes this.

post #12699 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:

After messing around with a number of other movies I'm starting to wonder if there is just something wrong with the DV transfer of Despicable Me 1 & 2. Every other movie I have tried looks really, really good, even other animated movies including Despicable Me 3. 1 & 2 are the only movies I have come across that have this over saturated look.

Here are a couple pics I took with my phone. I know, phone pics suck but, it's an okay example of what I'm seeing.

4K DV. Looks the same if I force the ATV to HDR. Trust me, the saturation is not from the camera. It actually looks worse then the pic shows:

I figured the pink/purple image was most likely a handshake issue and after happening a few times it hasn't happened since.

The audio drops, skips are the only thing consistently happening with DV but, only at 4k/60p. Audio is fine at 4k/24p DV.

I think this will get fixed when my new monoprice cables get here on Tuesday. Despicable Me 1 & 2 are still head strachters but, so far they are the only 2 with that issue.
Your TV may be like mine. It doesn't like hot swapping HDMI cable.

The suggestion has been floated in various forums to correct errors of this sort by removing all cables from TV including power cord, drain power circuit by holding power on until LED on TV extinguishes (TV remote may work also). Install cables and power up the TV. I've done this with power removed from external devices too but that may not be necessary.

On at least 2 occasions, I've had various color tint push to my TV from ATV4K when swapping HDMI cables without doing the above steps. Rebooting the ATV4K alone didn't help. I've also had intermittent occurrences of dropouts resolved by doing this but my dropouts were blacked out screen; I'm not sure if those included audio but I cannot recall when the last occurrences of the dropouts happened. They're resolved as far as I know but annoying until resolved.

I've followed suggestions to replace cables with Monoprice too. Swapped them all with 6 foot lengths with TV powered down and drained as above. You might want to try that while waiting on the new cables.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #12700 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I believe that photo is DM around 1:15. It looks fine here in DV.

Yep, sorry, forgot to mention the time stamp and movie. I found another one, The Secret Life of Pets is doing the same thing. There’s a pattern developing, they are all Illumination Ent. movies.

Do you think there could be something in the DV metadata screw that my TV could be misinterpreting?

post #12701 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Well just about everyone else that asked a more complex question than mine AFTER me had their questions answered. So I guess I’m a pariah over the $700 ATT movers charge post that I immediately removed when asked too. I’ve notticed this is a quite cliquish group so I probably ought to pick up my marbles and go someone else.
Your question likely wasn’t answered because there probably aren’t many people here using a soundbar via Bluetooth, rather than a proper setup. If you can pair headphones, I’m sure you can pair a soundbar.
rlb, ataneruo and ma1746 like this.
post #12702 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Well just about everyone else that asked a more complex question than mine AFTER me had their questions answered. So I guess I’m a pariah over the $700 ATT movers charge post that I immediately removed when asked too. I’ve notticed this is a quite cliquish group so I probably ought to pick up my marbles and go someone else.

You asked a specific question, which limited the number of people that can respond to it. People have paired BT headphones for sure, but as far as that specific soundbar who knows. No need to get upset about it as if someone did have both AND just happen to see your question they probably would have answered it.
ataneruo likes this.
post #12703 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
What advantages Infuse has over Plex? I've been using Plex for ages, and it's been working well with no issues on my ATV4K (except the last beta update playback bug). I think I installed Infuse to see what all the fuss is about, but didn't really see any reason to abandon Plex. What am I missing?
The Infuse devs source of income is SOLELY from the ATV. They're very responsive to any found issues, and communicate very well on the forums. As far as playback goes, as of 10 days ago, (I'm traveling right now so I haven't been home), Plex still still hadn't implemented colorspace and hdr auto switch, at least is still wasn't working for me. Infuse had this working in beta before the official apple release.

Looky here!
post #12704 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:

Maybe I missed it, but what app is this?

Looky here!
post #12705 of 29895 Old 02-24-2018, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
What advantages Infuse has over Plex? I've been using Plex for ages, and it's been working well with no issues on my ATV4K (except the last beta update playback bug). I think I installed Infuse to see what all the fuss is about, but didn't really see any reason to abandon Plex. What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
The Infuse devs source of income is SOLELY from the ATV. They're very responsive to any found issues, and communicate very well on the forums. As far as playback goes, as of 10 days ago, (I'm traveling right now so I haven't been home), Plex still still hadn't implemented colorspace and hdr auto switch, at least is still wasn't working for me. Infuse had this working in beta before the official apple release.
The absolute best thing they offer over Plex is they do not use the native tvOS video player. They have developed their own and it plays perfectly with far more codecs compared to the native player. No need for transcoding, at all.
aaronwt, robnix and ataneruo like this.
post #12706 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I did exchange my ATV4K for another one but, unfortunately, I still see the issue. It's very odd. The flickering near-blacks pop up just now and then, not in every dimly lit scene. (And not necessarily even in the same scenes from different sources -- I saw it a ton in The Hateful Eight in Netflix but not in the same scenes of that movie in Showtime Anytime!) I'm hoping some future software/firmware update for either the ATV4K or my LG B6 TV fixes the problem.

Sorry to hear you're seeing it too.
It's so annoying! I've switched my ATV to 1080p SDR with match switched on and that seems to have sorted the issue out for now. I don't remember this always being the case as when I first bought the ATV it played everything beautifully. For me the worst culprit is Amazon Prime (The Patch, Vikings) and when I use either Infuse or MrMc for local content. What firmware have you got your B6 set to?
post #12707 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what app is this?

iTunes movies.

post #12708 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
can you pair the ATV4K 32 GB with a vizio 3821 soundbar by bluetooth ?
It should work if you are able to put the Soundbar in discovery mode. Some devices don't pair to well if old BT spec, my Bose AE2w headphones pair but won't play sounds. My newer Plantronic Back beat Pro2 headphones play fine.
post #12709 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:

My Epson projector doesn't do DV, but I have noticed that on current animated movies played from my library, the picture is blown out like your picture.

On the Epson, there are 4 HDR modes, with 1 being the brightest, and 4 the darkest. I usually run in Mode 1, but for DM 1&2, I have backed it to 2, and for Secret Life of Pets, mode 3.

So it's not just you.
post #12710 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 911
This is a question now that we’ve had our ATV4k over a month if your provider has a cap how is your data usage? My 1 TB cap is holding on by an extremely fragile thread, the Olympics being on for two weeks didn’t help because my dvr was empty. Streaming Netflix and Amazon 4k previously I barely got above 500 GB but I guess the novelty of iTunes hdr/dv has me going overboard.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #12711 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboysen00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster2 View Post
Go into remote settings. Near the bottom, there's a toggle for this.
Yes I have the toggle switched the correct setting and it was still not working properly. Now for some reason it turns on my receiver however it turns it on to the incorrect input.
Now my remote isn?t controlling the volume nor did it turn on the tv or avr. When I press the volume button I see the Apple TV light blinking but it doesn?t adjust the volume. I have it correct in my settings. Any ideas?
post #12712 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster2 View Post
Go into remote settings. Near the bottom, there's a toggle for this.
Yes I have the toggle switched the correct setting and it was still not working properly. Now for some reason it turns on my receiver however it turns it on to the incorrect input.
Now my remote isn?t controlling the volume nor did it turn on the tv or avr. When I press the volume button I see the Apple TV light blinking but it doesn?t adjust the volume. I have it correct in my settings. Any ideas?
I changed the setting for remote from auto to ir to avr and now the volume works but the remote will put my tv and avr to sleep but will not turn it on.
post #12713 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
This is a question now that we’ve had our ATV4k over a month if your provider has a cap how is your data usage? My 1 TB cap is holding on by an extremely fragile thread, the Olympics being on for two weeks didn’t help because my dvr was empty. Streaming Netflix and Amazon 4k previously I barely got above 500 GB but I guess the novelty of iTunes hdr/dv has me going overboard.

If you are going streaming only and deem it worth it get the “unlimited data”. It’s a sham, but will save you from trying to meter yourself. While my provider does have caps, they don’t enforce them just yet in my area. Once they do I’ll be getting the unlimited data option.
post #12714 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you are going streaming only and deem it worth it get the “unlimited data”. It’s a sham, but will save you from trying to meter yourself. While my provider does have caps, they don’t enforce them just yet in my area. Once they do I’ll be getting the unlimited data option.

This is the first month I came near my cap but my enthusiasm has peaked I know I won’t be buying so many hdr titles at one time as when I first bought it. For example I’ve been watching Netflix all weekend and the meter only ticked up a little.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #12715 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
This is the first month I came near my cap but my enthusiasm has peaked I know I won’t be buying so many hdr titles at one time as when I first bought it. For example I’ve been watching Netflix all weekend and the meter only ticked up a little.

I’d see how this month goes with possibly less ITunes movies streaming. You’ll have peaks and valleys for usage, but will give you an idea.
post #12716 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’d see how this month goes with possibly less ITunes movies streaming. You’ll have peaks and valleys for usage, but will give you an idea.

I’m fine I was just curious of others experiences. I know how to manage my data just wanted to know if others have noticed a spike.

post #12717 of 29895 Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Would it kill Apple to add a simple time display somewhere in the interface? Maybe when you swipe down, in the top right corner....

Double tap the pad on Siri remote. The first tap puts the movie time track at the bottom of the display. The second tap replaces movie time with current time in the center and movie end time at the right. At least this is the behavior in the Netflix app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
post #12718 of 29895 Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
I think iTunes movies have a higher bitrate than Netflix, but I don't have any sources or way to measure this.

I don't watch any TV shows, so I'm not going to hit my 300 GB data limit just watching a movie a day... But when I had relatives visiting and several people binge watching Netflix series and constant youtube streams then we did hit the limit a couple of days before the monthly reset...

So, it is possible if you use it for TV, but I think it would be difficult to hit the limit if you mostly watch movies... How many can you see every day?

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
post #12719 of 29895 Old 02-26-2018, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post
I think iTunes movies have a higher bitrate than Netflix, but I don't have any sources or way to measure this.

I don't watch any TV shows, so I'm not going to hit my 300 GB data limit just watching a movie a day... But when I had relatives visiting and several people binge watching Netflix series and constant youtube streams then we did hit the limit a couple of days before the monthly reset...

So, it is possible if you use it for TV, but I think it would be difficult to hit the limit if you mostly watch movies... How many can you see every day?

Yeah iTunes is pushing 25mbps whereas Netflix caps out at just over 15mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #12720 of 29895 Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Yeah iTunes is pushing 25mbps whereas Netflix caps out at just over 15mbps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The binge that got me near my 1TB cap was Dunkirk, Blade Runner, Dark Knight trilogy, Wick 1+2 ,Star Trek 1+2 and both Kingsman in the space of ten days and then I pulled back from the ledge. That’s not counting my everyday usage I was a kid again with a new toy!

Last edited by gomo657; 02-26-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , apple tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page