Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 492 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32788Likes

post #14731 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
What app is not working? What content?

Could be the app is not HDR compatible, or the content is not really in HDR, for example.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14732 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Have you tried the Apple TV 4K directly to the Epson bypassing the Yamaha? I would post your question in the Yamaha 3050 owners thread.

I have the same amp and it works perfectly for HDR material with the Apple TV. I can’t remember which hdmi mode I used though. It did require changing and the process was a bit odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14733 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
I have the same amp and it works perfectly for HDR material with the Apple TV. I can’t remember which hdmi mode I used though. It did require changing and the process was a bit odd
Mode 1 from the "advanced settings" menu, if it's like the 3060.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14734 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Mode 1 from the "advanced settings" menu, if it's like the 3060.

Yeah. That’s it. Accessed by holding something down during startup

post #14735 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Actually, it's "Advanced Setup", not "Settings" and you get to it by holding the "Straight" on the front panel then pressing the power/mainzone button to wake from standby.
galonzo and Andrew Stirling like this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
post #14736 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Yes, I am using Mode 1 in Advanced Settings. The app is Netflix and the content is 4K HDR. Again, if I set the ATV to 4K HDR, I can stream 4K HDR without any problem (confirmed by the projector's info screen). When I put the ATV in 4K SDR, it will not stream the same content in 4K HDR.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #14737 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Could you do me a favor and check what your video processing setting is on the Yamaha? My is set to "Auto" but I also tried "Direct". Thanks.
post #14738 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtoronto View Post
Yes, I am using Mode 1 in Advanced Settings. The app is Netflix and the content is 4K HDR. Again, if I set the ATV to 4K HDR, I can stream 4K HDR without any problem (confirmed by the projector's info screen). When I put the ATV in 4K SDR, it will not stream the same content in 4K HDR.
Silly question, but do you pay extra for the 4K/HDR tier of Netflix? Setting Apple TV to HDR forces everything in HDR while setting Match Content means it turns on HDR when the app tells it to. But if you're not paying for the 4K/HDR tier, then the app won't tell your Apple TV to switch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #14739 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryXN View Post
Silly question, but do you pay extra for the 4K/HDR tier of Netflix? Setting Apple TV to HDR forces everything in HDR while setting Match Content means it turns on HDR when the app tells it to. But if you're not paying for the 4K/HDR tier, then the app won't tell your Apple TV to switch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not a silly question. I changed my Netflix plan this week and Netflix sent an email stating the new charge would be effective mid-May. When I look at Netflix listings, it now shows "HDR" whereas on my previous HD plan I did not see that before so my assumption is if the content is tagged "HDR" then I am able to stream it as well, even though technically I have not been charged at the higher tier.
post #14740 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Dolby Vision through Apple 4K TV

While watching DV movies through Apple TV on Sony 940E, I see picture is not bright enough compared to watching DV content from TV's built-in Netflix app. Picture thru ATV is too dark( kind of similar to when we have ambiance light settings is on...its off in my case) even with same picture settings. Anyone having similar issue? Is this expected? If not, what setting am I missing? thanks in advance.
post #14741 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2249 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
While watching DV movies through Apple TV on Sony 940E, I see picture is not bright enough compared to watching DV content from TV's built-in Netflix app. Picture thru ATV is too dark( kind of similar to when we have ambiance light settings is on...its off in my case) even with same picture settings. Anyone having similar issue? Is this expected? If not, what setting am I missing? thanks in advance.
Try moving your gamma setting on the Sony up until it looks right to you on the ATV. Yes, the Netflix DV content on my 930E looks a little brighter than on my ATV4K but not significantly anymore.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #14742 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Could you do me a favor and check what your video processing setting is on the Yamaha? My is set to "Auto" but I also tried "Direct". Thanks.

Mine is set to direct. On the 3050 I only have a choice between ‘direct’ and ‘processing’

post #14743 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 123
A question for the group.
I am getting an HDHomerun to potentially use with Channels on my ATV 4K 32 gig unit. Has anyone found out how long the pause buffer is for this combination?
Something I have been doing with my DTV DVR is , for a string of 3 shows on the same channel, start playback and pause at the beginning of the first hour long show. Then wait 45 minutes or so and start from the beginning. This will allow me to watch all three shows while skipping commercials. SO I am wondering if Channels on the 32 gig ATV 4K will allow me to do the same thing. Channels only specifies 30 to 90 minutes depending on the device used. I am trying to decide whether to pay the fee for Channels or to look for another DVR solution.
post #14744 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Mine is set to direct. On the 3050 I only have a choice between ‘direct’ and ‘processing’

After 'direct' didn't work for me, I selected 'processing' and then selected 'auto'. Not clear what the difference is between 'direct' and 'auto'. As I see the projector is getting a REC 2020 signal when I set the ATV to 4K HDR, I am expecting my HDMI cabling is okay, but are you using premium certified (4K HDR) HDMI cables from the ATV to your AVR and to your video device?
post #14745 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After 'direct' didn't work for me, I selected 'processing' and then selected 'auto'. Not clear what the difference is between 'direct' and 'auto'. As I see the projector is getting a REC 2020 signal when I set the ATV to 4K HDR, I am expecting my HDMI cabling is okay, but are you using premium certified (4K HDR) HDMI cables from the ATV to your AVR and to your video device?

Just using amazon basics cables!

post #14746 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Perhaps this question belongs in the LG OLEDC7 thread but I'll start here. What are the recommended reference movies to use for 4K Dolby Vision and for 4K HDR to see how those two 4K standards should look using an ATV 4K streaming to a OLED?
post #14747 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
A question for the group.
I am getting an HDHomerun to potentially use with Channels on my ATV 4K 32 gig unit. Has anyone found out how long the pause buffer is for this combination?
Something I have been doing with my DTV DVR is , for a string of 3 shows on the same channel, start playback and pause at the beginning of the first hour long show. Then wait 45 minutes or so and start from the beginning. This will allow me to watch all three shows while skipping commercials. SO I am wondering if Channels on the 32 gig ATV 4K will allow me to do the same thing. Channels only specifies 30 to 90 minutes depending on the device used. I am trying to decide whether to pay the fee for Channels or to look for another DVR solution.
Right now Channels doesn't have the ability to do multiple buffers on the ATV. Because the DVR functionality is handled by a separate piece of hardware, a server or NAS, there are really two separate places the recording/buffering is taking place. The buffer is on the ATV, the recording is on the server. This also causes another issue where say you start watching a show, and decide 20 minutes in you want to record it. Right now there is no way to transfer the existing buffer from the ATV to the server.

Channels is a very good DVR solution for the ATV, but there are some quirks that take some time to get used to. I came from a DTV DVR and a TiVo so I'm familiar with both. The good news is that the developers are top notch and are constantly updating the software. I know from reading their forums that multiple buffers and recording an existing buffer are high on the list of user requests, so hopefully they will eventually come up with a solution.

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #14748 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
Right now Channels doesn't have the ability to do multiple buffers on the ATV. Because the DVR functionality is handled by a separate piece of hardware, a server or NAS, there are really two separate places the recording/buffering is taking place. The buffer is on the ATV, the recording is on the server. This also causes another issue where say you start watching a show, and decide 20 minutes in you want to record it. Right now there is no way to transfer the existing buffer from the ATV to the server.

Channels is a very good DVR solution for the ATV, but there are some quirks that take some time to get used to. I came from a DTV DVR and a TiVo so I'm familiar with both. The good news is that the developers are top notch and are constantly updating the software. I know from reading their forums that multiple buffers and recording an existing buffer are high on the list of user requests, so hopefully they will eventually come up with a solution.
All very good information. Thanks you! But for the scenario that I described I would only be using the pause buffer. So back to the question. How long can I pause the ATV 4K 32 gig with Channels and still be able to play back from the place where I paused the show? This is without the DVR part being in play at all.
I have done some significant searching to find the answer, but the closest I find is "30 to 90 minutes" depending on the device. So, my device will be the 32 gig ATV 4K. I am trying to find out if it will do 30 minutes or ...??

Thanks again.
post #14749 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6997 Post(s)
Liked: 7067
Quote:
All very good information. Thanks you! But for the scenario that I described I would only be using the pause buffer. So back to the question. How long can I pause the ATV 4K 32 gig with Channels and still be able to play back from the place where I paused the show? This is without the DVR part being in play at all.
I have done some significant searching to find the answer, but the closest I find is "30 to 90 minutes" depending on the device. So, my device will be the 32 gig ATV 4K. I am trying to find out if it will do 30 minutes or ...??

Thanks again.

Join and ask in the Channels forum, you’ll only get basic information in this thread. Closest I could find is the following:
https://community.getchannels.com/t/90-min-buffer/670
post #14750 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Join and ask in the Channels forum, you’ll only get basic information in this thread. Closest I could find is the following:
https://community.getchannels.com/t/90-min-buffer/670

Yeah, that is the sort of answers I have seen in searches. A real NON-Answer!
So I thought maybe some here would have some first hand experience with it. Lots of users here and lots of folks looking to do some chord cutting.
Appreciate the advice though.
post #14751 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6997 Post(s)
Liked: 7067
Quote:
Yeah, that is the sort of answers I have seen in searches. A real NON-Answer!
So I thought maybe some here would have some first hand experience with it. Lots of users here and lots of folks looking to do some chord cutting.
Appreciate the advice though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I use Channels, but have never tested the limit of the buffer. I’m not sure many would pause a show for 45 minutes, most would just do a live “catch up” using the DVR.

If you want a direct answer, it would be best to ask in their forums and be specific.
post #14752 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I use Channels, but have never tested the limit of the buffer. I’m not sure many would pause a show for 45 minutes, most would just do a live “catch up” using the DVR.

If you want a direct answer, it would be best to ask in their forums and be specific.

Yes it is kind of a special case. Two days per week the people watch three shows in a row on the same channel. But I can see a use case like this for something like auto racing, or sports events. Waiting that long allows the series to be run through with minimal additional pausing and still being able to fast forward through all commercial breaks while ending up with real time TV for the news hour.. I will go poke around the Channels forum.

Thanks for the tip.
post #14753 of 29894 Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I schedule a DVR recording of say, the nightly news (30 min. program) then start watching it while it’s still recording (and skip through commercials)?

I know that in the past, watching while still recording wasn’t possible, but I haven’t kept up with ATV and DVR app developments over the past couple years.

I want to get a 4k ATV, and use either Channels, HDHomeRun DVR, Plex DVR, or whatever is the best DVR app, to schedule and record shows. I’m using WMC now to record the news every night at 11pm and usually sit down to start watching at 11:15pm or so, while it’s still recording, and skip commercials. Hope I can do this after replacing the Windows Media Center with a 4K AppleTV. Thanks.

Last edited by Pureheart; 04-27-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #14754 of 29894 Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureheart View Post
Can I schedule a DVR recording of say, the nightly news (30 min. program) then start watching it while it’s still recording (and skip through commercials)?
Yes, Channels DVR supports this.
post #14755 of 29894 Old 04-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos Badge in Netflix

My boss just got back from a site calibration where he claims that he and the integrator and client all saw a Dolby Atmos badge next to the Dolby Vision badge on content inside the Netflix app that is known to have an Atmos track. Unfortunately, no one took a picture or noted the Netflix or ATV builds. If true, it's the first indication I've heard that Atmos deployment for ATV may be imminent or that Netflix may be one of the supporting apps. Access to the site is now closed (private client residence), so there is no opportunity to verify.

Absent the photo evidence, I'm inclined to believe they were simply mistaken; however, I thought I would run it by this thread to see if anyone has encountered something similar. If not, keep your eyes peeled...and phones ready.

Despite the supposed "Atmos badge", the ATV 4K in question would only run the Multi-PCM decode of the 5.1 track like the rest of our ATV 4Ks.

I've reached out to my press contacts, but no response yet. I'm not holding my breath...
galonzo likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #14756 of 29894 Old 04-28-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Maybe it is me, but I watched the Tim Cruise Mummy on ATV4K and was very disappointed in the audio, audio levels were very low and LFE was MIA. Bad purchase on my part. I have not watched many iTunes purchased movies as Vudu is my default, but a few titles I have 4K on iTunes.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s

Last edited by kluken; 04-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
post #14757 of 29894 Old 04-28-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
My boss just got back from a site calibration where he claims that he and the integrator and client all saw a Dolby Atmos badge next to the Dolby Vision badge on content inside the Netflix app that is known to have an Atmos track. Unfortunately, no one took a picture or noted the Netflix or ATV builds. If true, it's the first indication I've heard that Atmos deployment for ATV may be imminent or that Netflix may be one of the supporting apps. Access to the site is now closed (private client residence), so there is no opportunity to verify.

Absent the photo evidence, I'm inclined to believe they were simply mistaken; however, I thought I would run it by this thread to see if anyone has encountered something similar. If not, keep your eyes peeled...and phones ready.

Despite the supposed "Atmos badge", the ATV 4K in question would only run the Multi-PCM decode of the 5.1 track like the rest of our ATV 4Ks.

I've reached out to my press contacts, but no response yet. I'm not holding my breath...

I’m sure he saw that but almost in all likelihood was using the TVs Netflix app and not the ATVs Netflix app.

nathan_h, Ph8te, galonzo and 1 others like this.
post #14758 of 29894 Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I did a quick test today comparing the brightness level with Dolby Vision on the Netflix show "Altered Carbon" from the Apple TV 4K, compared to the built-in app on my Sony Z9D TV (65").

The Sony's built-in app provided Dolby Vision that was noticeably brighter.

I would say that the Apple TV 4K's brightness was only around 80% of the Sony's built-in app. (Judged by eye).

All the Dolby Vision picture settings were matched and the same settings on both the HDMI input to the Sony (via a Yamaha RX-A3060 Receiver, with video processing in ByPass/Direct), and on the internal app's own picture settings.

This is something that Apple and Dolby need to work on in order to make both experiences identical.
andyadler and galonzo like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub

Last edited by Craig Mecak; 04-29-2018 at 04:02 AM.
post #14759 of 29894 Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Anyone having problems using SIRI to do voice searches on the YouTube app after the latest update?

First no 4K and now this...?
post #14760 of 29894 Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

I hope that this is finally happening!

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , apple tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page