Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 565 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29157Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16921 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Member
 
AudioShakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Make Sure:
  • Marantz is set to "enhanced" for HDMI.
  • The AppleTv is plugged into the Marantz HDMI Port that's closest to the output port for the TV
  • The Marantz is set to "bypass" so that no scaling is happening in the AVR
I went through the settings on my 8805 and, sure enough, I did not have it set to "Enhanced". I changed that and the A4KTV detected the DV when I fired it up. Passed that test and now it defaults to DV @ 60Hz. Thank you for your help!
nathan_h and TrendSetterX like this.
AudioShakes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16922 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
meegwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Make sure:
  • Marantz is set to "enhanced" for HDMI.
  • The AppleTv is plugged into the Marantz HDMI Port that's closest to the output port for the TV
  • The Marantz is set to "bypass" so that no scaling is happening in the AVR

I also see in other posts of yours in other forums that you are using a 35' HDMI cable -- what cable are you using?

I also see you have the same Sony TV as I -- do you have your HDMI port set to enhanced in the tv settings?

These are good suggestions, thank you!

I am not using a 35' - I aborted that mission after much discussion. I am experimenting with 6ft monitor out>TV and 3 or 6 foot (18gbps uhd/hdr certified and Apple recommended Belkin 48Gbps respectively, also with the 6ft) for the ATV > Marantz. My rack is a few feet left of the TV. I will need to find some of these settings I do believe I recall "enhanced" somewhere. The Dolby Vision works flawlessly when ATV is hooked direct on either cable.

Also, I picked up a 4k UHD Dolby Vision blue ray and that is working fine through the Marantz. Looks pretty damn beautiful actually...what a fantastic TV!!!!

Thanks I will check on these settings.

Mike
meegwell is offline  
post #16923 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Came on to see if anyone else was reporting the same thing. I get it about once every 60-90 minutes. I've had it on more than one app, and specifically put in time on Roku, the smart tv interface, etc to isolate out that it wasn't the TV, receiver, etc. I'm pretty sure it's just the ATV. I watch mostly netflix, but caught it elsewhere, including iTunes movies.


It's so quick, I took it to be more of a multi-color screen more like a test pattern than just green, but maybe it's just green. It's infrequent enough I can sort of live with it, but I don't like it.


I'd say it started a week to ten days ago. But I'm not positive, it's infrequent and fast, so I'm not sure how many times it happened before I started to realize it was an actual "thing".



I'm glad someone else is experiencing it, so maybe it's software related and can be fixed, and not just mine going bad.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I've been scanning through google images trying to find something that best represents what "flashes" on my screen. This is pretty close:






Audio doesn't drop when this happens, and it lasts less than a second. Any thoughts on what's happening? Happens on any app on ATV, and not on any other device going through my receiver, nor on the TV's internal app.


I won't keep bringing it up, but thought someone might recognize what I'm seeing with a picture.


Thanks.
I am using Monoprice ones and it does it to me. I was thinking of maybe trying the Belkin one.
suitechicguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16924 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
R8ders2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I could not get the Showtime Anytime app activated on my ATV 4K. I tried two different browsers. The iOS app (which signs in just fine) tells me it was successfully activated, but the screen with the code never goes away. I even uninstalled and re-installed it, all to no avail.

I'm a FiOS customer. So is this their issue? Has anyone else have this problem. I gave up and AirPlay from my iPhone to the ATV. So annoying! I do not have this issue with any other app than the Showtime Anytime app. In fact after I watched what I wanted to, I downloaded the USA Network and activated it just fine.
Have you tried logging in via a desktop computer, as opposed to an iOS device?

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
R8ders2K is offline  
post #16925 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
gossamer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It may be specific to FiOS and Showtime where they are never handing over the authentication because I have all my Apple TVs logged into Showtime through DirecTV Now. May be worth trying again at another time in case something is wonky in the back end when you tried it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ders2K View Post
Have you tried logging in via a desktop computer, as opposed to an iOS device?
Shoulda mentioned the browser were from my laptop. So I tried tonight to activate and voilà...it activated! I guess it was something on the back end. Thanks for the replies.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
gossamer88 is online now  
post #16926 of 25650 Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I think the Monoprice are the Premier (gold on the ends) but that is immaterial. There is nothing magic about XLR interconnects, unlike HDMI cables. The most basic XLR cable should just work. But whatever it is, a failure rate so high is absurd. Had I tried them prior to more than a year elapsing after I bought them, I would have returned them. I just trashed all of those that were DOA and am now trashing them as they fail.



I have since spent the extra money for all of my cable needs and now use BlueJeans exclusively. Well over 9 years of buying and using BlueJeans cables, not one DOA and not one failure. That includes HDMI cables (including those over 30 feet that I purchased well before 4K/HDR ever hit the market); XLR and single ended interconnects; speaker wire and speaker wire banana plugs and spades.

Same here...only use Blue Jeans Cable.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rlb likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #16927 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
I am using Monoprice ones and it does it to me. I was thinking of maybe trying the Belkin one.

So I didn't have a demonstrably better cable lying around, but I switched it for another monoprice, maybe even lesser quality. I can't remember the relative "rating", but it was thinner, but I don't think I've bought non-certified cables for a couple years so it shouldn't be much worse. After the switch, I got one more flash a couple minutes into watching, but didn't see another over several hours. So it does seem like possibly cable related. Drives me crazy to buy YET ANOTHER HDMI cable given all the ones I've got lying around at this point, but if that's what it takes.
nclou is offline  
post #16928 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
I am using Monoprice ones and it does it to me. I was thinking of maybe trying the Belkin one.

So it looks like those Belkin cables run about $30? I'll do it at the end of the day, but are any others proven to be rock solid?
nclou is offline  
post #16929 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
There’s supposedly a “bypass” option (that I have toggled on) when using arc on the lg tv but it doesn’t seem to really do the trick, unfortunately there’s only one input in the soundbar... so it looks like I’m left with dealing with it or upgrading.
Thank you for the details


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or, you could get a device such as HDFury AVRKey that will allow you to send audio directly to your soundbar and video directly to your TV/


I use the HDFury Vertex that allow me to do this for two devices (NVidia Shield and ATV4k)
smhealey is offline  
post #16930 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
magnus0322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
So it looks like those Belkin cables run about $30? I'll do it at the end of the day, but are any others proven to be rock solid?
I purchased the Belkin cable from the Apple store and it didn't fix my issues, in fact it worked worse than my Monoprice cables

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
nathan_h likes this.
magnus0322 is offline  
post #16931 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus0322 View Post
I purchased the Belkin cable from the Apple store and it didn't fix my issues, in fact it worked worse than my Monoprice cables

Yikes.
nclou is offline  
post #16932 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
I am using Monoprice ones and it does it to me. I was thinking of maybe trying the Belkin one.

So it looks like those Belkin cables run about $30? I'll do it at the end of the day, but are any others proven to be rock solid?
Maybe the Blue Jean ones? I'm not sure which other one to get either. Last night though I don't remember it happening to anything I watched. But then again, I want giving it my full attention either.
suitechicguy is offline  
post #16933 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
Maybe the Blue Jean ones? I'm not sure which other one to get either. Last night though I don't remember it happening to anything I watched. But then again, I want giving it my full attention either.

Yeah, I was looking at the blue jeans ones earlier.


The cable I had worked for months and months, so it's not like it was just an inferior cable from the jump, it would have to be "going bad". It's possible, but I'm still a little dubious. I guess it's possible an update put more strain on it.


Maybe I'll give it more time with this one before I spring on more cables. As I mentioned, I got several hours without it last night, whereas it had been getting progressively more frequent before that, starting with like once a night to once about every 25 minutes before last night.
nclou is offline  
post #16934 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
meegwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Make Sure:
  • Marantz is set to "enhanced" for HDMI.
  • The AppleTv is plugged into the Marantz HDMI Port that's closest to the output port for the TV
  • The Marantz is set to "bypass" so that no scaling is happening in the AVR

I did not have the 75x940 set to enhanced....not sure why it worked when directly connected but all good now!
TrendSetterX and galonzo like this.
meegwell is offline  
post #16935 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Update on my ATV 4K issues, I was able to swap out the cable, but it made no difference. I was able to force output regular HDR rather than DV for the movies I was talking about, and just like with the non-DV movies I own, the regular HDR looks just fine. So it must be an issue with the DV on ATV 4K specifically. I just hope a new firmware or something can fix it.

Omni009 is offline  
post #16936 of 25650 Old 07-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Update on my ATV 4K issues, I was able to swap out the cable, but it made no difference. I was able to force output regular HDR rather than DV for the movies I was talking about, and just like with the non-DV movies I own, the regular HDR looks just fine. So it must be an issue with the DV on ATV 4K specifically. I just hope a new firmware or something can fix it.


I still think it looks like near black compression artefacts which are present on all oleds in some material. It may just be that your HDR picture settings are hiding them by crushing blacks a little. It would certainly make sense as one of the main benefits of Dolby Vision is enhanced shadow detail due to dynamic tone mapping.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
Andrew Stirling is online now  
post #16937 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
DOC1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Update on my ATV 4K issues, I was able to swap out the cable, but it made no difference. I was able to force output regular HDR rather than DV for the movies I was talking about, and just like with the non-DV movies I own, the regular HDR looks just fine. So it must be an issue with the DV on ATV 4K specifically. I just hope a new firmware or something can fix it.
In your original post, you mentioned “I'm using the same DV settings I use for my UHD player“. Do you mean that you’ve adjusted any of the settings of the DV mode in your TV away from their defaults...? If so, that may be your problem.

I do agree that the photos show what appears to be OLED’s “near black artifacts” which would indicate that maybe you’ve attempted to tweak the “brightness” setting in your TV’s Dolby Vision mode and it is set too high.

Many users do not realize this, but Dolby works with each manufacturer, individually, to provide a custom Dolby Vision LUT intended to achieve optimum results from the Dolby Vision mode on each specific TV. Other than for disabling the artificial motion settings and picture enhancements (sharpening and/or noise reduction), the Dolby Vision “picture” settings should not be touched.

If this is indeed what has happened, I would suggest playing a DV title to activate the DV mode on your TV, then go into the “Picture” settings of your TV and reset the Dolby Vision mode to it’s default. You can adjust the motion settings and disable the artificial enhancements (that I mentioned above), but leave everything else alone.

Since physical discs and streamed content use different Dolby Vision "authoring" profiles, this might also be why one is exposing an issue while the other is not.

Since Dolby Vision is a locked “end to end” proprietary HDR system, an AVR can do nothing to the signal except pass it as it is. Your AVR’s processing should not present a problem as long as all of the specific HDMI 2.0 protocols are enabled within.
TrendSetterX, galonzo and smhealey like this.

Last edited by DOC1963; 07-27-2018 at 08:15 AM.
DOC1963 is online now  
post #16938 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
No one has this issue. Maybe it got lost in the mix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
I'm having audio sync issues. I've tried everything short of changing the timing on my receiver. But nothing else going through my receiver is having issues. Seems to be vudu and directtv now are the worst offenders. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Billy Williams is offline  
post #16939 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
DOC1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
I'm having audio sync issues. I've tried everything short of changing the timing on my receiver. But nothing else going through my receiver is having issues. Seems to be vudu and directtv now are the worst offenders. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
No one has this issue. Maybe it got lost in the mix?
The only time I see this is with Dolby Vision titles and only because my LG C6 does not correctly send the additional "lip sync" delay required for DV processing back to the AVP. I don't see this with SDR or HDR content.
cydeweyz and galonzo like this.
DOC1963 is online now  
post #16940 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Member
 
gambler52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Chatham, Illinois
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
The only time I see this is with Dolby Vision titles and only because my LG C6 does not correctly send the additional "lip sync" delay required for DV processing back to the AVP. I don't see this with SDR or HDR content.
I solved my issue by turning on Match Dynamic Range and turning off Match Frame Rate on the Apple TV with no processing on the AVR.
nathan_h likes this.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
gambler52 is offline  
post #16941 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
In your original post, you mentioned “I'm using the same DV settings I use for my UHD player“. Do you mean that you’ve adjusted any of the settings of the DV mode in your TV away from their defaults...? If so, that may be your problem.

I do agree that the photos show what appears to be OLED’s “near black artifacts” which would indicate that maybe you’ve attempted to tweak the “brightness” setting in your TV’s Dolby Vision mode and it is set too high.

Many users do not realize this, but Dolby works with each manufacturer, individually, to provide a custom Dolby Vision LUT intended to achieve optimum results from the Dolby Vision mode on each specific TV. Other than for disabling the artificial motion settings and picture enhancements (sharpening and/or noise reduction), the Dolby Vision “picture” settings should not be touched.

If this is indeed what has happened, I would suggest playing a DV title to activate the DV mode on your TV, then go into the “Picture” settings of your TV and reset the Dolby Vision mode to it’s default. You can adjust the motion settings and disable the artificial enhancements (that I mentioned above), but leave everything else alone.

Since physical discs and streamed content use different Dolby Vision "authoring" profiles, this might also be why one is exposing an issue while the other is not.

Since Dolby Vision is a locked “end to end” proprietary HDR system, an AVR can do nothing to the signal except pass it as it is. Your AVR’s processing should not present a problem as long as all of the specific HDMI 2.0 protocols are enabled within.
No, my DV settings are the default, as suggested in the LG OLED owner's thread. Both Tecnicolor HDR and DV cinema (user) are being used and both at default settings to preserve the tone mapping. As far as AVR goes, my ATV 4K is going straight into HDMI 2 input on the LG. My UHD player is going through the AVR, and to test if it was the cable I swapped them so that the ATV 4K was going through the AVR instead. A true 1:1 comparison, same input, same settings, same movie, everything.

My last resort is to try that beta of os12. I just got my ATV 4K, so I've literally never watched anything on any other firmware than 11.4, so I have no other reference if it's just something in that firmware. Aside from that, I know I'm out of options, so I guess that's just it.

Omni009 is offline  
post #16942 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Sebring5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
No, my DV settings are the default, as suggested in the LG OLED owner's thread. Both Tecnicolor HDR and DV cinema (user) are being used and both at default settings to preserve the tone mapping. As far as AVR goes, my ATV 4K is going straight into HDMI 2 input on the LG. My UHD player is going through the AVR, and to test if it was the cable I swapped them so that the ATV 4K was going through the AVR instead. A true 1:1 comparison, same input, same settings, same movie, everything.

My last resort is to try that beta of os12. I just got my ATV 4K, so I've literally never watched anything on any other firmware than 11.4, so I have no other reference if it's just something in that firmware. Aside from that, I know I'm out of options, so I guess that's just it.
Careful, the os12 beta software is deeply flawed and you can't revert to 11.4 without taking it to the store or sending it back to Apple. Most annoying flaw is audio drops every 10 to 20 minutes.
Omni009 likes this.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sebring5 is offline  
post #16943 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,617
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Careful, the os12 beta software is deeply flawed and you can't revert to 11.4 without taking it to the store or sending it back to Apple. Most annoying flaw is audio drops every 10 to 20 minutes.


Or wait for the next beta update which will likely be next week. No guarantee this will be fixed by then but worth waiting a few days for.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Omni009 likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #16944 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Careful, the os12 beta software is deeply flawed and you can't revert to 11.4 without taking it to the store or sending it back to Apple. Most annoying flaw is audio drops every 10 to 20 minutes.
I have yet to experience that on any of my three systems.
ggw2000, galonzo, Musician and 1 others like this.
mutelight is online now  
post #16945 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,914
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Careful, the os12 beta software is deeply flawed and you can't revert to 11.4 without taking it to the store or sending it back to Apple. Most annoying flaw is audio drops every 10 to 20 minutes.


We must be careful of making such a blanket statement there are plenty of us without any issues running the current beta.
dianebrat likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is offline  
post #16946 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
rondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MTL, QC
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Apple TV owners' thread.

@Omni009 , just a thought, have you enabled on or off your LG hdmi2 Ultra deep Color? May not be related to your issue but it’s a setting burried in the LG menus.

Last edited by rondongon; 07-27-2018 at 03:25 PM.
rondongon is offline  
post #16947 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,329
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
No, my DV settings are the default, as suggested in the LG OLED owner's thread. Both Tecnicolor HDR and DV cinema (user) are being used and both at default settings to preserve the tone mapping. As far as AVR goes, my ATV 4K is going straight into HDMI 2 input on the LG. My UHD player is going through the AVR, and to test if it was the cable I swapped them so that the ATV 4K was going through the AVR instead. A true 1:1 comparison, same input, same settings, same movie, everything.

My last resort is to try that beta of os12. I just got my ATV 4K, so I've literally never watched anything on any other firmware than 11.4, so I have no other reference if it's just something in that firmware. Aside from that, I know I'm out of options, so I guess that's just it.
I don't think any other firmware will change things for you, from what you describe.

While the default settings for DV on the OLED is the best one can do without tools, a calibrator with Calman can (and does) create a custom HDR correction for the DV mode. My calibrator noted that there was significant variation between a correct DV PQ curve and the default in the LG OLED (HDR10 mode tracked better) but that without lighter meters and the correct version of Calman, it was not something that could be adjusted by an end user.

TL;DR have you had your DV mode calibrated? If not, that might be why the gamma is a little off and you are seeing strange stuff.
galonzo and Musician like this.
nathan_h is offline  
post #16948 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Sebring5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I have yet to experience that on any of my three systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
We must be careful of making such a blanket statement there are plenty of us without any issues running the current beta.
Apple has published a list of flaws in the current beta. If you don't recognize or acknowledge the issues, at least Apple does, and is working on correcting them.
leonmckee likes this.

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sebring5 is offline  
post #16949 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Apple has published a list of flaws in the current beta. If you don't recognize or acknowledge the issues, at least Apple does, and is working on correcting them.
Where was this published and did they say it was affecting all systems?

Perhaps we legitimately do not have the issue and you happen to be affected.

Searching to find affected people, they are saying the audio completely drops out and they have to either pause/play or back out of the movie to get it back. I think I would "recognize" and "acknowledge" that if I ran into it.
m_snow likes this.
mutelight is online now  
post #16950 of 25650 Old 07-27-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,038
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Where was this published and did they say it was affecting all systems?

Perhaps we legitimately do not have the issue and you happen to be affected.

Searching to find affected people, they are saying the audio completely drops out and they have to either pause/play or back out of the movie to get it back. I think I would "recognize" and "acknowledge" that if I ran into it.
I've run into it but the audio drops for about a second and comes back. I never have to back out or pause/play to get the audio back.
leonmckee likes this.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off