Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 566 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29129Likes

post #16951 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Where was this published and did they say it was affecting all systems?

Perhaps we legitimately do not have the issue and you happen to be affected.

Searching to find affected people, they are saying the audio completely drops out and they have to either pause/play or back out of the movie to get it back. I think I would "recognize" and "acknowledge" that if I ran into it.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/c...a/tvos-12-beta

Meridian Audio G65 Sound Processor/UHD 722 HDMI Audio Processor/M6 Active Speakers, Sony A1E 65" OLED 4k UHD, Apple TV, Sony UBP-X1100ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16952 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
I see this thread where some people are reporting it including frequent dropouts. If I was affected, I certainly would have noticed it.

So back to the original point, it is nice that you are warning people but maybe post the warning in the tvOS beta thread and don't make a blanket statement that everyone is affected then lastly insinuate that those unaffected just aren't observant enough.
gomo657, TrendSetterX and Musician like this.
post #16953 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Geez! It's beta software, use at your own risk.
vince48, naustin and Musician like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16954 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
@Omni009 , just a thought, have you enabled on or off your LG hdmi2 Ultra deep Color? May not be related to your issue but it’s a setting burried in the LG menus.
Oh yeah. That was step one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I don't think any other firmware will change things for you, from what you describe.

While the default settings for DV on the OLED is the best one can do without tools, a calibrator with Calman can (and does) create a custom HDR correction for the DV mode. My calibrator noted that there was significant variation between a correct DV PQ curve and the default in the LG OLED (HDR10 mode tracked better) but that without lighter meters and the correct version of Calman, it was not something that could be adjusted by an end user.

TL;DR have you had your DV mode calibrated? If not, that might be why the gamma is a little off and you are seeing strange stuff.
I have not had it calibrated. I thought that DV was supposed to be pretty good out of the box, like Technicolor is? I do have active HDR going on my HDR picture mode though, so what I see in DV shouldn't be too far off from that if I understand active HDR correctly. I just can't imagine that the picture I'm seeing is the same one that everyone else raves about.

post #16955 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Pretty sure if you are seeing a good image with HDR10 and a bad image with DV, then you are one of the unlucky folks that haven't got a good DV default out of the box on your LG OLED. Does the same thing happen with DV from the OLED built in apps? Probably worth pursuing in the LG thread. I suppose there is a small possibility the ATV is faulty, but that's hard to prove -- unless DV on the LG from built in apps looks a lot better than from the ATV.

Last edited by nathan_h; 07-27-2018 at 07:56 PM.
post #16956 of 25609 Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Pretty sure if you are seeing a good image with HDR10 and a bad image with DV, then you are one of the unlucky folks that haven't got a good DV default out of the box on your LG OLED. Does the same thing happen with DV from the OLED built in apps? Probably worth pursuing in the LG thread. I suppose there is a small possibility the ATV is faulty, but that's hard to prove -- unless DV on the LG from built in apps looks a lot better than from the ATV.

It does seem odd that it’s affecting ALL Dolby vision iTunes content. Oled’s are amazing TVs but they do struggle with near black processing. I see this kind of thing from time to time on my E6 but it’s certainly not on all content. And it’s not limited to Dolby Vision. It could just be that the poster is unlucky in that the few Dolby Vision films he has on iTunes are amongst the affected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
galonzo and Omni009 like this.
post #16957 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
I have yet to experience that on any of my three systems.

I have 3 ATVs and only experience it on the 64g version attached to HDMI2 on the Sony 930E. Apple has confirmed the bug and it’s now in their Release Notes. I’ve been working with them and sending sysdiagnose logs as requested. I can tell from the dev forum that it’s fairly widespread but not universal. I have no idea what is causing it but it was introduced in dev beta 2. It happens every 15-20 minutes and lasts about 2-3 seconds. Yes annoying as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leonmckee likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #16958 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Does anyone here have any sort of ETA on the new Netflix interface coming to Apple TV? It seems to be rolled out to the Roku Netflix channel, though it seems to come and go, but haven't seen any changes on the Apple TVs yet.

I really like the sidebar and the fact that I can look at my list in more then just a single row now.
post #16959 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Does anyone here have any sort of ETA on the new Netflix interface coming to Apple TV? It seems to be rolled out to the Roku Netflix channel, though it seems to come and go, but haven't seen any changes on the Apple TVs yet.

I really like the sidebar and the fact that I can look at my list in more then just a single row now.

I got a Netflix app update where I noticed only changes to the profile icons, and hoped that was the new UI but alas no! I think Apple ecosystem given their approval process will be last to get since the new look launched few weeks ago.
post #16960 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Careful, the os12 beta software is deeply flawed and you can't revert to 11.4 without taking it to the store or sending it back to Apple. Most annoying flaw is audio drops every 10 to 20 minutes.
This is very content-dependent.

I've watched several purchased movies from the iTunes Store and do not experience this.
post #16961 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got a Netflix app update where I noticed only changes to the profile icons, and hoped that was the new UI but alas no! I think Apple ecosystem given their approval process will be last to get since the new look launched few weeks ago.
I got the same update thinking it was the UI as well. I was curious because I don't remember getting a Netflix channel update for my Roku Players before the UI changing. That's why I was wondering if the Apple TV needed a physical App update vs Netflix just changing it server side.

For the most part Netflix has had a pretty uniform UI between devices.
post #16962 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
This is very content-dependent.

I've watched several purchased movies from the iTunes Store and do not experience this.

No it’s not for me. I get it on all content and all players...iTunes, Infuse, Plex, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, ABC, NBC, Fox, HBOGO, Netflix, Directv Now. Everything. From the reports I’ve read in the Dev forum, that is a consistent complaint. The good news is Apple is on it.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by m_snow; 07-28-2018 at 07:14 AM.
post #16963 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I have 3 ATVs and only experience it on the 64g version attached to HDMI2 on the Sony 930E. Apple has confirmed the bug and it’s now in their Release Notes. I’ve been working with them and sending sysdiagnose logs as requested. I can tell from the dev forum that it’s fairly widespread but not universal. I have no idea what is causing it but it was introduced in dev beta 2. It happens every 15-20 minutes and lasts about 2-3 seconds. Yes annoying as hell.
Quote:
No it’s not for me. I get it on all content and all players...iTunes, Infuse, Plex, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, ABC, NBC, Fox, HBOGO, Netflix. Everything. From the reports I’ve read in the Dev forum, that is a consistent complaint. The good news is Apple is on it.
I concur!

Leon McKee
galonzo and m_snow like this.

LR: XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | UBP-X700 | URC MX-890 | SoundTouch 300 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
MBR: KDL-65W850A | ATV4K-64GB 5th Gen | URC MX-890 | Luminoodle Bias Lighting
4K HDR/DV Chains: ATV4K/UBP-X700>3ft Monoprice Certified Premium Cables>65X930E
Computing, Truck & Communication Devices: Proud Apple Customer Since 1979
post #16964 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No it’s not for me. I get it on all content and all players...iTunes, Infuse, Plex, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, ABC, NBC, Fox, HBOGO, Netflix, Directv Now. Everything. From the reports I’ve read in the Dev forum, that is a consistent complaint. The good news is Apple is on it.

I haven't scrolled back to view the whole history of this conversation, but is this an issue only with iOS 12 beta? I have 11.4.1 on aoo my iOS, and TVOS devices. Just curious if there is something I should be aware of, or if this is just a beta issue.
post #16965 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I have not had it calibrated. I thought that DV was supposed to be pretty good out of the box, like Technicolor is? I do have active HDR going on my HDR picture mode though, so what I see in DV shouldn't be too far off from that if I understand active HDR correctly. I just can't imagine that the picture I'm seeing is the same one that everyone else raves about.
Quote:
DV out of the box on the LG OLED 7 series is way, way off. In fact, if you were to look at some of my earlier posts ( ~ Dec. '17 ), I basically refused to watch anything DV because the PQ just plain sucked, especially compared to the SDR and HDR technicolor Expert picture modes. When Calman released a new version that included a custom DV workflow for the LG 7 series OLED's, I went through the full process, and the resulting improvement in PQ was almost miraculous.

You might want to give my DV settings a spin ( includes installing the custom DV calibration file - - [the standard panel variance disclaimer applies here] ), or seriously consider getting your set pro calibrated.
nathan_h and galonzo like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #16966 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't scrolled back to view the whole history of this conversation, but is this an issue only with iOS 12 beta? I have 11.4.1 on aoo my iOS, and TVOS devices. Just curious if there is something I should be aware of, or if this is just a beta issue.
Not iOS but the last two beta's of tvOS 12 and apparently not for every single configuration.

Mike
post #16967 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
DV out of the box on the LG OLED 7 series is way, way off. In fact, if you were to look at some of my earlier posts ( ~ Dec. '17 ), I basically refused to watch anything DV because the PQ just plain sucked, especially compared to the SDR and HDR technicolor Expert picture modes. When Calman released a new version that included a custom DV workflow for the LG 7 series OLED's, I went through the full process, and the resulting improvement in PQ was almost miraculous.

You might want to give my DV settings a spin ( includes installing the custom DV calibration file - - [the standard panel variance disclaimer applies here] ), or seriously consider getting your set pro calibrated.
Wow... I made slight tweaks to my E7 DV pic settings but now you are making me doubt! The advanced search returned only 4 results in this thread using your username and none of them had any relevance to DV settings. It would be greatly appreciated if you can reference that post or the thread in case it wasn’t in this one. Thanks!
post #16968 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow... I made slight tweaks to my E7 DV pic settings but now you are making me doubt! The advanced search returned only 4 results in this thread using your username and none of them had any relevance to DV settings. It would be greatly appreciated if you can reference that post or the thread in case it wasn’t in this one. Thanks!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that all those comments were made in the LG OLED B7/C7 owners thread, but just click on the link in my signature below to get to my settings post.
galonzo and rondongon like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #16969 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone here have a device in addition to their Apple TV that has gotten the new Netflix interfaced? I'm having the same strange behavior as yesterday, where the NEW interface was present in the morning, but about noon, reverts back to the OLD interface without the new side bar. This is really annoying, and would like to try and figure out what's going on. A Google search into the issue really didn't give much, other then Netflix is rolling out the interface over the next few months, and some of the testing put into the decision to make changes.
post #16970 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 620
In case anyone else reading this experiences the same problem I had -- which is that certain films in your iTunes library are not getting upgraded to 4K when they should be (i.e. when the movie studio provides Apple with a 4K version of an older film that had previously only been available on iTunes in HD) -- I found that signing out of my iTunes account on the Apple TV 4K, then rebooting it, then signing back into my iTunes account remedied the problem. (I had to go through multiple back-and-forth emails with Apple support before they suggested I try that.) Now the three films in question (M:I 4, M:I 5, Jurassic World) are playing for me in 4K DV/HDR as they should.
galonzo, sonoftumble and m_snow like this.
post #16971 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Does anyone here have a device in addition to their Apple TV that has gotten the new Netflix interfaced? ...
I have an ATV4 on ios 12 beta, no change there and neither on my "production" ATV 4K, as well no change on my OLED65E7 or any other iOS devices. On what device did you get the new Netflix UI ?
post #16972 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an ATV4 on ios 12 beta, no change there and neither on my "production" ATV 4K, as well no change on my OLED65E7 or any other iOS devices. On what device did you get the new Netflix UI ?
My Roku Streaming players, the funny thing is I never got a Netflix channel update like I did on my Apple TVs. The New UI as stated seems to be there in the morning, and reverts back around noon. At least that's how it's happened today and yesterday. I've asked on the Roku thread but no answer there.

It's a pain sometimes when managing multiple devices, and good solid info is hard to find, or get from others.
post #16973 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My Roku Streaming players, the funny thing is I never got a Netflix channel update like I did on my Apple TVs. The New UI as stated seems to be there in the morning, and reverts back around noon. At least that's how it's happened today and yesterday. I've asked on the Roku thread but no answer there.

It's a pain sometimes when managing multiple devices, and good solid info is hard to find, or get from others.
That's bizarre ! I doubt this behavior will exist with iOS/tvOS Netflix, once the app is available, in theory it can't change UI behavior depending on time of day, well except light/dark mode :-) I hope we get it soon released on tvOS, the Netflix UI is just so old and awkward to use.
post #16974 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's bizarre ! I doubt this behavior will exist with iOS/tvOS Netflix, once the app is available, in theory it can't change UI behavior depending on time of day, well except light/dark mode :-) I hope we get it soon released on tvOS, the Netflix UI is just so old and awkward to use.
One thing that went through my mind is maybe Netflix is doing testing rollouts and haven't preeminently applied the UI change yet so they test it and pull it back. Hard to say.
post #16975 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
Quote:
Where was this published and did they say it was affecting all systems?
I posted a paraphrase of interesting bugs, including this one, in the beta thread since that seemed appropriate. Apple does not say it manifests in all circumstances.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #16976 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1792
Quote:
Does anyone here have a device in addition to their Apple TV that has gotten the new Netflix interfaced? I'm having the same strange behavior as yesterday, where the NEW interface was present in the morning, but about noon, reverts back to the OLD interface without the new side bar. This is really annoying, and would like to try and figure out what's going on. A Google search into the issue really didn't give much, other then Netflix is rolling out the interface over the next few months, and some of the testing put into the decision to make changes.
My TiVos got the new interface, been watching Ozark S1 all day and no change here.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Scarface and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #16977 of 25609 Old 07-28-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
My TiVos got the new interface, been watching Ozark S1 all day and no change here.
@galonzo , I know you have a Roku, as I've seen you over there, both my Premiere+, and 2017 Ultra had the new interface yesterday morning and this morning. Then it reverted back about noon both days and hasn't come back, even with a reboot power disconnect etc. The other thing I noticed is, is the Premiere+ still has the start screen with the grey gradient behind the red Netflix logo, the Ultra has a solid black screen now like the Apple TV does behind the red Netflix logo. Quite strange and inconsistent. I tried the built in Netflix app for my android TV, and that hasn't changed either, neither has the Apple TV as someone else confirmed earlier here,

By the way the Netflix app / channel still functions on all devices, but only the Roku units seem to be changing the UI, and behavior inconstantly.
galonzo likes this.
post #16978 of 25609 Old 07-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
In case anyone else reading this experiences the same problem I had -- which is that certain films in your iTunes library are not getting upgraded to 4K when they should be (i.e. when the movie studio provides Apple with a 4K version of an older film that had previously only been available on iTunes in HD) -- I found that signing out of my iTunes account on the Apple TV 4K, then rebooting it, then signing back into my iTunes account remedied the problem. (I had to go through multiple back-and-forth emails with Apple support before they suggested I try that.) Now the three films in question (M:I 4, M:I 5, Jurassic World) are playing for me in 4K DV/HDR as they should.
This is an iTunes issue.

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #16979 of 25609 Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Thank's for the info. I will give that a try later!!

post #16980 of 25609 Old 07-29-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@rondongon : I got the new side bar for Netflix to come back onto my Roku units with a power cycle. Also between the different models, there is a slightly different version of the channel installed too, and why the one has a slight different appearance.
Now, I just need to wait for the Apple TV(s) to get the update, and I'm set.
rondongon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page