Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 608 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29665Likes

post #18211 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Who here are streaming MKV 4Ks from a server (Plex, et. al)? Just looking for the better experience. Infuse Pro or MrMC? Or is there another player I'm not aware of?
My suggestion is just getting the stuff in iTunes.

I do use infuse... it's much better than Plex... of course you can mix them up and use the both at the same time now.

I have 1000 or so MKVs on NAS units streaming through infuse... I considered converting them to iTunes compatible files and using home sharing to get them to my ATV... the way things are going though my favorite method is just replacing them with iTunes proper versions. (aside from the fact that iTunes doesn't carry all of them.. that is a problem.)

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18212 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
I've been using PLEX for years with 720/1080p content but it chokes on a 4K MKV (about 40GB file).

FYI, I'm running PLEX on my 2011 iMac. It's obviously getting long in the tooth. It has 16GB RAM but it is an i5. I also upgraded it with a 256 SSD that I fusioned with the pre-intsalled 1TB. That was approximately two years ago.

Curious if Infuse Pro will handle this 4K file. Going to try the month trial first as suggested.

I have no problem with files like that on Infuse. The Plex client, as you noticed, will transcode 4K files which slows it down. Infuse plays it direct. I use Ethernet on both the server side and the ATV4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #18213 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 3641
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Not simple but possible. The only method I know of: Requires enabling the HUD (heads up display) via an app on a Mac desktop (sic).

And its not a simple toggle. Its meant for developers so its either on for everything or off for everything.
Ok, thanks. I read about that solution, but not what i had in mind. On both older ATV’s, Xbox and my TV’s i could press info and get the relevant info on screen.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18214 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I do use infuse... it's much better than Plex... of course you can mix them up and use the both at the same time now.

I have 1000 or so MKVs on NAS units streaming through infuse... I considered converting them to iTunes compatible files and using home sharing to get them to my ATV... the way things are going though my favorite method is just replacing them with iTunes proper versions. (aside from the fact that iTunes doesn't carry all of them.. that is a problem.)

-Brian

You’re going to replace 1000 video files by buying them in iTunes? That seems like a pricey solution.
post #18215 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

-Brian

Also expensive.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #18216 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
You’re going to replace 1000 video files by buying them in iTunes? That seems like a pricey solution.
It is. Thank goodness I'm wealthy. (Disclaimer- My definition of wealthy is anyone who owns a projector. I own a native 4K PJ I consider myself exceptionally wealthy)

Everyone knows iTunes gift cards are the only thing I want these days. I can often buy them at less than face value which helps too. Plus I can find codes online for less than the iTunes Store.

So far, I have 700 or so iTunes movies (152 4K.)

However, the NAS units and NAS hard drives were expensive and they are expensive to keep on and to maintain. (Though I have only had one drive failure out of 16 drives so far.) And the cost to rip, encode in time is also something.

When I buy iTunes movies I consider it also buying cloud storage which is something people do pay for... (I also pay for some of that.)...

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-20-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #18217 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have the 4K Apple TV defaulting to Dolby vision. Notice in ios12 hbo go doesn’t switch to SDR even though I have switch dynamic range turned on. Other apps seem fine so far.
post #18218 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Unfortunately the C4 Matrixes don’t support the higher end UHD + HDR specs being used currently.
My Control4 matrix can pass through UHD HDR Atmos via my Oppo and DIRECTV C61 mini receiver, and the Apple TV passed through HDR before this last update. I'm assuming it's HDR because using the LG sets in my LR & MBR HDR pops up on the screen.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
post #18219 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
I registered the movies using Movies Anywhere and/or UltraViolet, and I recently got an email telling my UHD DVDs, which originally were in HD when I used the movie codes, were now available in UHD. After going to their website to see, even the downloads are available in UHD.
Brian Hampton likes this.

JVC RS4500K, Paladin DCR, Lumagen Radiance Pro, LG OLED W7, OLED E7, OLED C6, Sony A1E, Samsung QLED Q9F, QLED Q7F, Vizio P75c1, Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, Integra DRC-R1, Anthem MRX 720, Oppo 203, Sunfire TGA-7401, Outlaw 5000, Triad Silver 7.1.4 Atmos setup, SVS PB16 Ultra, PSA 3601,SVS PB-13 Ultra, 31 Sonance VP88R, 6x6 Control4 4K HDR AV matrix, Control4 8 Zone AMP, Control4 EA-5, Control4 EA-1, QNAP TVS-882 & TS-451+
post #18220 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I registered the movies using Movies Anywhere and/or UltraViolet, and I recently got an email telling my UHD DVDs, which originally were in HD when I used the movie codes, were now available in UHD. After going to their website to see, even the downloads are available in UHD.
Cool... That's why I have 700 iTunes movies already.. I redeemed every code that came with my roughly 1500 blu rays. Some codes only redeemed in UV but MA helped with that.

I also went through my movies looking for movies that I could get into iTunes using Vudu disc 2 digital. It's $2 each and said movies won't upgrade to 4K but it was a good solution for lots of stuff.

I still have a long way to go and I'm somewhat concerned about movies that are simply not in iTunes. For example Piranha is not in iTunes but Pirahna 3DD is. I have lots of stuff that iTunes does not... common stuff too... for example Pink Floyd The Wall ... they just don't have everything. So for that reason chances are I will maintain my infuse subscription.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-20-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #18221 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by b49adam View Post
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

These are the cables 6ft. All 3 were Brand New.
i had those same cables and had a lot of issues with them. are they really stiff? mine were. I ended up getting amazon basics 4k ones and they worked really well for me.
post #18222 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait, what? Are you saying you can download 4K movies to your disk or that you can stream 4K movies?

Mike
post #18223 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just received answer from Apple. When you purchase a movie in ITUNES, you only buy the right to download a copy. Not the right to stream the content.
If the publisher decides to end contract with apple (disney might be the first one, is my guess) or withdraws the title it will be gone to stream. Also the download is not available anymore. Support told me to make always a download copy, at the moment of purchase, and store it on a NAS/harddrive.

This is in contradiction what was told to me, when I purchased the Apple TV 4K. The seller told me that it would be treated the same as my mailbox, when even I would die. The content would remain available for my family. They would get owership of the content.
Not that I asked for this input, but the guy told it to demonstrate how great this was arranged by APPLE..........NOT.

I am evaluating to bring it back, or if they dont accept it, sell it. Luckily I only "purchased" a couple of movies. Back to discs.....
galonzo and raf77 like this.
post #18224 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Die Hard is back to 4K as I expected it would be. But, it doesn't seem to have come back with any noticeable changes. E.g. No atmos added or any any other differences that I can see, so don't know why it dropped to HD.

galonzo likes this.
post #18225 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
I have the 4K Apple TV defaulting to Dolby vision. Notice in ios12 hbo go doesn’t switch to SDR even though I have switch dynamic range turned on. Other apps seem fine so far.
This happens despite having match dynamic range enabled; your ATV4K relies on app developers to integrate the tvOS match API into their app to properly render SDR. But it's like you're forcing HDR rendering for everything when app developers don't integrate the API with your current setting.

Guess what? Many SDR only app developers don't do that. Hulu does but who else? None I've found.

This is why many users here use the SDR 4K format in video settings. The HDR capable apps do include the match API so you'll get auto dynamic range matching for HDR. Try it.

Edit: you'll need the match settings enabled but keep the SDR 4K as format. And if you don't get match dynamic range the first time, you may have to enable DV or HDR (top of video settings) at least once. It's been a while for me but my format and match settings with HDR match survived the tvOS update. I didn't have to reenable HDR.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by brotony; 09-20-2018 at 12:17 PM.
post #18226 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
My Control4 matrix can pass through UHD HDR Atmos via my Oppo and DIRECTV C61 mini receiver, and the Apple TV passed through HDR before this last update. I'm assuming it's HDR because using the LG sets in my LR & MBR HDR pops up on the screen.
C4 Video Matrices max out at 3840x2160p30 4:2:0 10 bit for HDR and don’t use the latest HDBASET technology. The higher the bandwidth stream, the better the chance the Matrix/extender setup is going to have a problem with it. C4 just release a new OS, make sure you’re current.
galonzo likes this.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #18227 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
This happens despite having match dynamic range enabled; your ATV4K relies on app developers to integrate the tvOS match API into their app to properly render SDR. But it's like you're forcing HDR rendering for everything when app developers don't integrate the API with your current setting.

Guess what? Many SDR only app developers don't do that. Hulu does but who else? None I've found.

This is why many users here use the SDR 4K format in video settings. The HDR capable apps do include the match API so you'll get auto dynamic range matching for HDR. Try it.

Edit: you'll need the match settings enabled but keep the SDR 4K as format. And if you don't get match dynamic range the first time, you may have to enable DV or HDR (top of video settings) at least once. It's been a while for me but my format and match settings with HDR match survived the tvOS update. I didn't have to reenable HDR.

thanks for the response. HBO Go switched to SDR for me before iOS 12. Netflix amazon Hulu also. may switch it over like you recommended. liked the screensaver in dolby vision.
post #18228 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Who here are streaming MKV 4Ks from a server (Plex, et. al)? Just looking for the better experience. Infuse Pro or MrMC? Or is there another player I'm not aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Well there’s plex. My recommendation is infuse though. It has a better upscaling algorithm which results in 1080p material looking better than MrMC.
Just a heads up - don't expect either one (Infuse or MrMC) or Plex, or apparently any other app on the ATV4K, to do a decent job with .MKVs which are from DVDs (480i). Film-based DVD rips may look OK, but concerts and the like (not film based) are very poorly de-interlaced and upscaled by the ATV4K.

MrMC appears to be the only one of these apps that has a few adjustments for handling of video, but it doesn't help.

The Shield, on the other hand, is capable of a much better result, surprisingly.

Coming off my Oppo 203 that did a great job with this and assuming my other hardware could do about as well, I was dismayed to find the ATV4K's capabilities so weak here.

Per your original question, though I haven't watched much content, Infuse does very well with 1080 or 4K video files in my experience. Would expect similar from the others if output in native resolution from ATV. Haven't compared upscaling, but interesting that different results were noted between the apps. Maybe one of the video adjustments in MrMC may be the differentiating factor there?
galonzo likes this.
post #18229 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
thanks for the response. HBO Go switched to SDR for me before iOS 12. Netflix amazon Hulu also. may switch it over like you recommended. liked the screensaver in dolby vision.
It would be nice if SDR only app developers used the tvOS match API. The flip side is many SDR only apps don't allow framerate matching either without it. My ATV4K would be my favorite streamer if that happened.

Hulu is the only exception I've found. Because of framerate remaining fixed at 60 for many SDR only apps on ATV4K, my Roku Ultra with auto framerate switching enabled is getting more use. I try to use it for all CBS, HBO and Tennis TV viewing but don't always remember to do so. Amazon isn't bad on Roku Ultra either.

galonzo likes this.
post #18230 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Good to know I just ordered an EZCOO HDMI splitter that is supposed to support atmos and everything else along with a bunch of different EDID settings. Hope it works? I heard the AVR key is not as good and that you have to get a vertex but it’s expensive!
I'm just learning about these passthru devices. I understand that the AVR Key will output the HDR/DV video stream from something like the ATV to a TV and the audio via HDMI to an older AVR. I don't know yet how good the AVR Key is at doing this. Do you expect that the EZCOO will do the same thing?

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #18231 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quick Question.

I have my Apple TV 4K hooked up to my Denon 4400 receiver that is Atmos capable but I only have a 5.1 setup right now.

When I play an Atmos enabled movie the Apple TV sends Atmos to my Denon (the front panel displays Atmos).

Is there any reason to disable Atmos on the Apple TV while I only have 5.1?

Thanks
Dan

Equipment:
Sony XBR65A1E / Denon AVR-X4400H / Outlaw 5000 amp / Apple TV 4K /
Playstation 4 Pro / Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTM62, M1 / Klipsch KSW-15 /
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #18232 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
You can test any video format supported by your display and the ATV by selecting it. If you select [email protected]/HDR your sending HDR10 to your display. If that works, and DV from Netflix works then you have a (subtle) Netflix issue.

What programs are you using to test HDR10 on Netflix?
The problem isn’t hardware compatibility. I can set the ATV UI to HDR and it works just fine. Also Dolby Vision content works fine on both iTunes and Netflix. I have tried several movies and TV shows in Netflix labeled as 4K UHD (not DV) and with every one Netflix changes the picture mode to SDR.
post #18233 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolt View Post
Quick Question.

I have my Apple TV 4K hooked up to my Denon 4400 receiver that is Atmos capable but I only have a 5.1 setup right now.

When I play an Atmos enabled movie the Apple TV sends Atmos to my Denon (the front panel displays Atmos).

Is there any reason to disable Atmos on the Apple TV while I only have 5.1?

Thanks
Dan
No, you're fine, it will just disregard the Atmos metadata.
galonzo likes this.
post #18234 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
No, you're fine, it will just disregard the Atmos metadata.
Cool. That is what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Thanks!
Dan

Equipment:
Sony XBR65A1E / Denon AVR-X4400H / Outlaw 5000 amp / Apple TV 4K /
Playstation 4 Pro / Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTM62, M1 / Klipsch KSW-15 /
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #18235 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
I use MrMC on ATV4K and my Shield. I have 4K, HD MKV Rips and while I like MrMC it has a few quirks. I also have 550+ m4v movies and dozens of TV BD and DVD rips. I came from SPMC on Shield. As someone else said Infuse has a more Apple or a Plex user experience where MrMC is a tad more utilitarian, but once set up is fairly easy to use.
giomania and galonzo like this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #18236 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by janila View Post
I have tried several movies and TV shows in Netflix labeled as 4K UHD (not DV) and with every one Netflix changes the picture mode to SDR.
Again, what HR10 programs did you use to test? 4K UHD isn't HDR.
CrazyEddie and naustin like this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #18237 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anyone found a work around or fix for the huge audio delay/AV synch issue when using Dolby Vision? The main problem is that SDR and HDR10 have no audio delay, so I can’t correct this using the AVR without changing settings constantly.

My solution right now is turning off the frame rate matching and then the Apple TV switches to HDR but not Dolby Vision. Obviously not ideal, I’d like to use Dolby Vision outside of the built in TV apps.
post #18238 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichb View Post
Has anyone found a work around or fix for the huge audio delay/AV synch issue when using Dolby Vision? The main problem is that SDR and HDR10 have no audio delay, so I can’t correct this using the AVR without changing settings constantly.

My solution right now is turning off the frame rate matching and then the Apple TV switches to HDR but not Dolby Vision. Obviously not ideal, I’d like to use Dolby Vision outside of the built in TV apps.
Your display doesn’t have the processing power to keep up. Hence the delay. Your only solution is to run through an AVR with the ability to delay the audio to match the video.
galonzo likes this.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
post #18239 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Quote:

Your display doesn’t have the processing power to keep up. Hence the delay. Your only solution is to run through an AVR with the ability to delay the audio to match the video.
I have an LG OLED E6 and it’s runs Dolby Vision fine from other sources and built in app. This seems like an Apple TV problem. I can’t use the AVR to adjust as there is no delay with non DV content.
post #18240 of 26314 Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have an LG OLED E6 and it’s runs Dolby Vision fine from other sources and built in app. This seems like an Apple TV problem. I can’t use the AVR to adjust as there is no delay with non DV content.
The LG OLEDs are well known to have video delay issues with DV from other devices as well (e.g. the Sony X700 Blu-ray player).
galonzo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page