Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 634 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29548Likes

post #18991 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
This sounds more like a cable problem than specifically an AppleTV problem. I have watched around 100 DV movies on iTunes, using a Sony projector which only supports HDR10 and I have never seen this problem. There was a similar problem with Sony projectors and Netflix DV titles, but only a few older DV titles were effected. It would yield a dropout about every 90 seconds.

I think the reason that your cable is causing the issue is because if it is failing about every 5 minutes, it may be just near the bandwidth limit with AppleTV and DolbyVision, so about every 5 minutes it fails and does a quick HDMI resync. You might think about trying a test whereby you use a very short, high quality 18Gbps certified cable, and hook the AppleTV directly to your TV or Projector (no AVR between them) and see if the issue goes away. If it does then you probably need better cables or see if you AVR is causing the issue because of lack of DV support.
Hi,

Thanks that's good thinking. However,..

1) I tried with 2 different 4 Foot Premium Certified HDMI cables directly into the PJ

2) it doesn't take 5 minutes. I can go from 4:30 to 5:30 in any of the affected movies to get the issue

3) I have 175 UHD iTunes titles and this happen on 8 that I know of (4%). The others play back fine. How does the Cable know which ones to have bandwidth trouble with ?

4) For the 7 of those that I also can access in Vudu I can play them back in HDR with no problem (Using the ATV .... Just the VUDU app.)

What model is your Sony HDR compatible PJ ? ... Mine is a VW285ES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18992 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked: 1259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

Thanks that's good thinking. However,..

1) I tried with 2 different 4 Foot Premium Certified HDMI cables directly into the PJ

2) it doesn't take 5 minutes. I can go from 4:30 to 5:30 in any of the affected movies to get the issue

3) I have 175 UHD iTunes titles and this happen on 8 that I know of (4%). The others play back fine. How does the Cable know which ones to have bandwidth trouble with ?

4) For the 7 of those that I also can access in Vudu I can play them back in HDR with no problem (Using the ATV .... Just the VUDU app.)

What model is your Sony HDR compatible PJ ? ... Mine is a VW285ES.
Mine is the Sony VW385ES but I don't think it matters which model. I have seen this problem with some Netflix DV titles but never with an iTunes title. I always assumed it was a Netflix App issue. What are the names of the titles you are seeing the issue with?
post #18993 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Please take the "Sony Projector" problems over to it's dedicated thread..
Thank You, Gerry
rsonnens likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18994 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Flickering

Hi all - I know this has been discussed before but I was never able to find a conclusive answer:
Just picked up an ATV4k and as I was checking out the various video formats, I noticed some flickering in Netflix content (including flickering in shadows and dark scenes) and an occasional pink flicker when I had it set to 4k SDR @ 60hz (IIRC). I had set the ATV to dynamic range/rate matching. Was this the problem?

Also - what is the consensus on a set it and forget it setting? Leave it on 4k SDR with matching and let the ATV figure it out?

Thanks!
post #18995 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I once attended a press briefing put on by Monster Cable on HDMI. There were two main messages; the first that people tend to blame the cable for HDMI problems when the real problem is the inconsistent implementation of changing standards on the two ends. “Don’t blame the cable” was the first message.

The second message was that a high-quality HDMI cable is critical to the reliable transmission of digital signals. The presenter said the digital signal is transmitted as “ones and ohs”, that the ones and ohs can be smeared by a bad cable. She then went on to tell why their cable was so superior in delivering the ones and ohs reliably over a long distance.

After the talk, I mentioned to the presenter that digital signals are typically described as ones and zeros. Enough said. I just threw this in for levity.

BTW, there is a whole thread on this video dropout problem and it possible causes.

While I agree fully with what was stated about the "ones and ohs" in the press briefing, the problem with Monster Cable is that the price has too many "ohs"
TimA, giomania, galonzo and 5 others like this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #18996 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
Hi all - I know this has been discussed before but I was never able to find a conclusive answer:
Just picked up an ATV4k and as I was checking out the various video formats, I noticed some flickering in Netflix content (including flickering in shadows and dark scenes) and an occasional pink flicker when I had it set to 4k SDR @ 60hz (IIRC). I had set the ATV to dynamic range/rate matching. Was this the problem?

Also - what is the consensus on a set it and forget it setting? Leave it on 4k SDR with matching and let the ATV figure it out?

Thanks!
Thats the way my AppleTv is set up and works fine, although after the last Apple update Netflix does seem to take longer to load than it used to. Check for cable issues maybe?

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #18997 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
it may be just near the bandwidth limit with AppleTV and DolbyVision
DV has no special bandwidth requirements. It's the same as any other [email protected] video stream (including SDR because of chroma compression). This is the result of a design decision by Dolby.
There's a table of measured bandwidth in the first post of this thread.
This is not to say that cables don't come or become defective.
The first step for an Apple TV owner is to run the tvOS 12 Check HDMI Connection test.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #18998 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
...In reference to your second post about using the Oppo with the ATV4K. Apple Atmos pass through isn't the only issue. The Oppo HDMI input won't pass Dolby Vision just HDR10 at this time.
That's ok though, as this application is primarily for projectors - which can't do DV anyway...
galonzo likes this.
post #18999 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I watched "A Quiet Place" back before they added Atmos audio so I need to watch it again with Atmos but looking forward to it from your post.
It's one of the best sounding movies, and I have over 60 Atmos titles. The movie is literally, atmospheric.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
lujan and Tweeter2002 like this.

Home theatre: 65" Sony X950G / LG UBKM9 / Sony UBD-X800 / Xbox One X Project Scorpio / PS4 Pro
Denon AVR-X4400H 7.1.4 config. / Plantronics Dolby Atmos RIG 600LX
Pioneer Andrew Jones L,R,C,SL,SR,SBL,SBR / (4) Polk Atrium 5 series TF,TR
SVS PB-2000 w/ SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System
post #19000 of 26185 Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
Thats the way my AppleTv is set up and works fine, although after the last Apple update Netflix does seem to take longer to load than it used to. Check for cable issues maybe?
Watched Haunting of Hill House episode 2 tonight with the Netflix app and ATV set to 4K SDR @ 60 and range matching turned on. The opening scene went crazy—flickering shadows galore, like the TV couldn’t decide if it needed to brighten those areas or darken them. Never saw that on the built in Netflix app on my LG (though that scene has always looked terrible with crushed blacks and macroblocking). That same scene in HDR and Dolby look fine.

I obviously need to play around with the settings a bit more. Coming from 9 years of a plug and play Kuro this is all new territory for me.
post #19001 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I downloaded the Showtime app, and it doesn't seem as clear as Netflix, or Amazon. Kind of hesitant to try HBO
post #19002 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks!
I have the same issue on my Apple TV, although I only saw it on my OLED TV. I have 3 Apple TV. Two of them are on tvOS 12 and one on tvOS 11.3. Only the two with tvOS 12 had this flickering. Therefore, I guess it‘s a bug within tvOS 12. It also only happens if the Apple TV is set to YCbCr. Switching the RGB high or low fixes the issue. But this workaround only helps for SDR, not for HDR. My Xbox One X and the Apple TV on tvOS 11.3 have no flickering even if they are set to YCbCr.
post #19003 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhead2 View Post
I downloaded the Showtime app, and it doesn't seem as clear as Netflix, or Amazon. Kind of hesitant to try HBO
Make sure you have your default setting as 4k SDR (plus dynamic range match = on), because those legacy SDR apps don't respond correctly, otherwise.

I found HBO via the Amazon app was more pleasing than HBO via its own app. That may not work if you are a subscriber to the channel on a conventional TV service, or want to watch HBO somewhere that doesn't have an Amazon app.
woodhead2 likes this.
post #19004 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Quote:
Watched Haunting of Hill House episode 2 tonight with the Netflix app and ATV set to 4K SDR @ 60 and range matching turned on. ... That same scene in HDR and Dolby look fine.

I obviously need to play around with the settings a bit more. Coming from 9 years of a plug and play Kuro this is all new territory for me.
You should review the first post in this thread.

Do you also have Frame Rate matching turned on? There's no reason for the UI settings to effect content if Match is on unless the app is defective and the Netflix app is fine.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #19005 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Anyone have tips on how to fix lip sync issues? I have my atv4k going through my sony ht-st5000 to arc. I already tried switching inputs same result, did a factory reset which seemed to help but it’s still there but faintly. It only happens when im playing higher grade content like 4K DV/HDR with DD & Atmos. Stereo sound through Direct TV & NBA App & some DD doesn’t get affected. Should i have apple swap my atv4k or any other solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #19006 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicblue83 View Post
I have the same issue on my Apple TV, although I only saw it on my OLED TV. I have 3 Apple TV. Two of them are on tvOS 12 and one on tvOS 11.3. Only the two with tvOS 12 had this flickering. Therefore, I guess it‘s a bug within tvOS 12. It also only happens if the Apple TV is set to YCbCr. Switching the RGB high or low fixes the issue. But this workaround only helps for SDR, not for HDR. My Xbox One X and the Apple TV on tvOS 11.3 have no flickering even if they are set to YCbCr.
Interesting, thank you....
post #19007 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
I find the pq from the HBO Go app to be very good. On a lot of the dark scenes in Game of Thrones, there was some bad pixelization. But, I heard it's the feed since it happens with the actual cable subscription too.

As someone already mentioned, make sure you have your default setting as 4k SDR and dynamic range match set to on
nathan_h, galonzo and woodhead2 like this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 10-24-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #19008 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Anyone have tips on how to fix lip sync issues? I have my atv4k going through my sony ht-st5000 to arc. I already tried switching inputs same result, did a factory reset which seemed to help but it’s still there but faintly. It only happens when im playing higher grade content like 4K DV/HDR with DD & Atmos. Stereo sound through Direct TV & NBA App & some DD doesn’t get affected. Should i have apple swap my atv4k or any other solutions?
You didn't specify if the audio is behind or the video is behind. You also need to tell us which display you're using.
galonzo likes this.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #19009 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
You didn't specify if the audio is behind or the video is behind. You also need to tell us which display you're using.

Audio i figured lip sync was specific but audio its not all audio it’s “higher audio/format” . I have a Vizio P65-E1

PS4 PRO
post #19010 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Yes. Both Netflix and Amazon offer lots of content in 4K and 4K HDR, while Showtime and HBO both are limited to 1080p. And even regular 1080p on Netflix and Amazon looks better than 1080p stuff from Showtime and HBO, which are about the same in terms of streaming picture quality.

As mentioned above, picture quality for Showtime and HBO looks a little better if you subscribe to them as add-on "Amazon Channels" within the Prime Video app. In that case, the streams are encoded and sent to you by Amazon. Note that if you subscribe to those services as Amazon Channels, you not only can watch within the Prime Video app but you also can use the Showtime Anytime and HBO Now apps if you want.

Sometime in the next few months, Apple is going to do the same thing as Amazon, offering add-on subscriptions within the TV app on Apple TV, iPhone and iPad. Given how good 1080p content streamed from iTunes looks, I imagine that Showtime or HBO streams via Apple will also look better than through the native Showtime and HBO apps. I'll probably switch my subscription over to Apple's TV app when that option becomes available.

The bigger question is how long can those "premium" services, which cost as much or more than Netflix, hold out on offering their original series in 4K HDR? Netflix and Amazon have been doing it for a couple years now already!
Ted99 and woodhead2 like this.
post #19011 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I"m in the process of planning to upload Jav's curves which, to me, is a daunting task as I have NO experience with this. I have the following questions and welcome your response:

1) Is there any reason why I can't perform this in a Windows 10 virtual machine on my iMac?
2) What is "custom SDR settings under the HDR profile?"
3) Since my 990 is in a VERY dark room (NO lights) and I'm using a no-gain Draper white screen, which of the curves should I start with?
4) Would someone advise which files, including names and extensions must be in the folder along with the tool, Python and curve files?

Thanks!
post #19012 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Audio i figured lip sync was specific but audio its not all audio it’s “higher audio/format” . I have a Vizio P65-E1
Generally, video-delay is actually the normally-expected lip sync issue because displays have a hard time doing all the required video processing which slows down the video in relation to the audio. Can you describe exactly how you have things connected? You mentioned going through your soundbar before but you also mentioned ARC - so which is it? Is the AppleTV connected to the soundbar and then the display or is it connected straight to the TV and then you use ARC to pass audio to the soundbar?

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
post #19013 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Generally, video-delay is actually the normally-expected lip sync issue because displays have a hard time doing all the required video processing which slows down the video in relation to the audio. Can you describe exactly how you have things connected? You mentioned going through your soundbar before but you also mentioned ARC - so which is it? Is the AppleTV connected to the soundbar and then the display or is it connected straight to the TV and then you use ARC to pass audio to the soundbar?

So i assume is audio because i see the persons lips moving but the audio is behind milli seconds. Again it doesn’t happen through all content but i only use my atv4k. So my connection is atv4k connected to sony ht-st5000 to vizio p65-e1 hdmi arc. I have it that way so i can use one remote to control it all. I did change the sound bar to the non arc hdmi input to make sure that wasn’t the issue but i still had delay. Atv4k is always going through the sound bar because i want to make sure i get the best audio possible

PS4 PRO
post #19014 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 373
No one else having issues with Hulu on-demand content not opening on ATV? Get a splash screen on both ATV4Ks signed in that says retry or ok when trying to play content.

I noticed there was a bug fix update but I can't watch it. Force closed, opened, same result. Uninstalled, reinstalled, signed in and same result.

Last time I had an issue and called Hulu, they wanted all my devices removed and signed back in (unrelated issue with Roku). Maybe that's the next valid step this time but I'm watching Hulu on my Roku Ultra without content launch error. Try again later... Maybe it's a device limit but no one else is watching.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #19015 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So i assume is audio because i see the persons lips moving but the audio is behind milli seconds. Again it doesn’t happen through all content but i only use my atv4k. So my connection is atv4k connected to sony ht-st5000 to vizio p65-e1 hdmi arc. I have it that way so i can use one remote to control it all. I did change the sound bar to the non arc hdmi input to make sure that wasn’t the issue but i still had delay. Atv4k is always going through the sound bar because i want to make sure i get the best audio possible
I would not expect audio delay in your scenario (audio delay usually gets introduced when feeding everything to the display first and then relying on ARC/TOSLink/DigitalCoax back to the audio system). By any chance does your soundbar have a sound delay or lip-synch setting you can adjust (most AVRs do, but I don't have any experience with sound bars)? Does your display have a setting?

post #19016 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would not expect audio delay in your scenario (audio delay usually gets introduced when feeding everything to the display first and then relying on ARC/TOSLink/DigitalCoax back to the audio system). By any chance does your soundbar have a sound delay or lip-synch setting you can adjust (most AVRs do, but I don't have any experience with sound bars)? Does your display have a setting?

They both do my sound bar & vizio & i can try but i don’t want to affect sdr if i don’t have too. Apple said they might replace it if i keep having issues

PS4 PRO
post #19017 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Quote:
They both do my sound bar & vizio & i can try but i don’t want to affect sdr if i don’t have too. Apple said they might replace it if i keep having issues

I noticed a similar lip synch issue with ATV4K Dolby Vision and my Vizio P65-C1. I split my Video & Audio using an HDfury AVR-key with video directly into the display and audio into a Samsung K950 Atmos SB. Per HDfury their device wasn't inducing a delay, so I added a 75 ms delay on the soundbar. That seems to have fixed the issue for me without adverse effects on normal audio.
leojj25 likes this.
post #19018 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Hulu support did acknowledge they had a brief outage that effected iOS and tvOS devices. I don't know if it was widespread or not but impacted me long enough to realize it didn't effect Roku.

It's working on ATV now.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #19019 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I noticed a similar lip synch issue with ATV4K Dolby Vision and my Vizio P65-C1. I split my Video & Audio using an HDfury AVR-key with video directly into the display and audio into a Samsung K950 Atmos SB. Per HDfury their device wasn't inducing a delay, so I added a 75 ms delay on the soundbar. That seems to have fixed the issue for me without adverse effects on normal audio.

I see .. I didn’t really want to buy something extra to make this work. I’ll try the sync settings & see how it handles all my content.

PS4 PRO
post #19020 of 26185 Old 10-24-2018, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I find that the apps offer better video quality that FiOS TV. How did you do the comparison between Netflix and Showtime, did you find the same movie for example Pearl Harbor on Netflix and Showtime and compare?

All original programming from HBO and Showtime through the ATV look great to me.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page