Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 655 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28159Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19621 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
marine92104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 143
So tonight I was comparing “Ready Player One” 4k on the ATV on iTunes & the VUDU app.

Both looked similar in PQ but the Dolby Atmos quality on the VUDU app sounded fuller & surround activity was better.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have a Denton receiver & a high end setup.

Shouldn’t the ATMOS soundtrack sound the same since both are going from the ATV to my Denton receiver?

I tried it on a couple of titles & the Dolby ATMOS soundtracks sound better on the VUDU app.
marine92104 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19622 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 03:24 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
So tonight I was comparing “Ready Player One” 4k on the ATV on iTunes & the VUDU app.



Both looked similar in PQ but the Dolby Atmos quality on the VUDU app sounded fuller & surround activity was better.



Has anyone else noticed this? I have a Denton receiver & a high end setup.



Shouldn’t the ATMOS soundtrack sound the same since both are going from the ATV to my Denton receiver?



I tried it on a couple of titles & the Dolby ATMOS soundtracks sound better on the VUDU app.


I would imagine that it’s just differences between the two different source streams. Maybe the vudu one is mastered at a higher volume


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew Stirling is offline  
post #19623 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Shouldn’t the ATMOS soundtrack sound the same since both are going from the ATV to my Denton receiver?
About the same and inferior to the Blu-ray.
galonzo likes this.
Gary J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19624 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 103
"Dolby ATMOS soundtracks sound better on the VUDU app"

My experience is the Atmos that is buried in the DD+ audio for streaming is only marginally better than regular DD+. Do you get some over head sounds like when a helicopter flies by? Sure. Mission Impossible Fallout helicopter scenes sound great? Sure.

"Immersive"? Well maybe.

But its not full blown HD Audio "Atmos". DD+ audio when streaming sounds pretty dang good with no Atmos. I haven't once sat there with DD+ movie thinking to myself, "Did they record this on a tin can with a string or what???"

I hear no difference between the VUDU app "Atmos" and iTUNES "Atmos". I don't use Netflix. Atmos via Amazon Prime for Jack Ryan series was enjoyable.

Some times volume is louder between devices like between my ROKU and the ATV 4K. But the sound isn't "better".

My AVR is a Denon x4200.
galonzo likes this.
Johnson-from-Arizona is offline  
post #19625 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
So tonight I was comparing “Ready Player One” 4k on the ATV on iTunes & the VUDU app.

Both looked similar in PQ but the Dolby Atmos quality on the VUDU app sounded fuller & surround activity was better.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have a Denton receiver & a high end setup.

Shouldn’t the ATMOS soundtrack sound the same since both are going from the ATV to my Denton receiver?

I tried it on a couple of titles & the Dolby ATMOS soundtracks sound better on the VUDU app.
I noticed it as well! At first I was thinking it was just a volume difference between the two apps but turning it up did not help, it was definitely fuller sounding on VUDU.
Therberg is offline  
post #19626 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Member
 
bdmckinl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Just to say there is no need these days to go for cables with separate adapters. There are very easy to use integrated fiber cables around. This is what I currently use and has a very good reputation in custom install circles: https://www.ruipro.com/
Thank you for the endorsement of this fibre optic cable plan, and for suggesting a reputable source for obtaining one!

Having done a bit of learning, my only fear is this whole 'unidirectional' thing about optic HDMI. I see that Ruipro somehow allows EDID (possibly this 'faux' EDID I've seen mention of?) but I assume neither (e)ARC nor ethernet are possible. Currently I use neither - don't really know much about the former, and my understanding is that nothing really makes use yet of the latter - but in the interests of future-proofing are there new/planned applications of either which would ever be particularly relevant to you or me? Are there specifically any limitations to Ruipro's cable's unidirectional nature which irk you?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have to share: thank you sir!

EDIT: I've now found and read last year's cable test report where RUIPRO tied for first...and see that somehow I guess RUIPRO *does* indeed support ARC should I for whatever reason ever need it. Ok then - I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 10m run

4K/3D Projector: Sony VPL-VW295es | Screen: 120" 16x9 framed 'Screen Goo’ (Digital Grey) | 4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB820-K | Streaming: Apple TV 4K (64 GB) | Gaming: PS4 (500 GB), PS3 Slim (320 GB) | Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H | Speakers (5.1.4): Axiom VP150 (centre), Axiom M60 x2 (towers), Axiom EP350 (LFE), Axiom QS8 quadpolar x2 (surrounds), Axiom M3 In-Ceiling x4 (atmos) | Remote: Harmony Elite

Last edited by bdmckinl; 11-24-2018 at 08:34 AM.
bdmckinl is offline  
post #19627 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
cydeweyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Has anybody seen any sales this Thanksgiving weekend for Atmos capable receivers that passes through DV from an Apple TV 4k?
cydeweyz is online now  
post #19628 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Has anybody seen any sales this Thanksgiving weekend for Atmos capable receivers that passes through DV from an Apple TV 4k?
I’d email certain forum sponsors to check for deals. 😉

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #19629 of 24301 Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jong1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmckinl View Post
Thank you for the endorsement of this fibre optic cable plan, and for suggesting a reputable source for obtaining one!

Having done a bit of learning, my only fear is this whole 'unidirectional' thing about optic HDMI. I see that Ruipro somehow allows EDID (possibly this 'faux' EDID I've seen mention of?) but I assume neither (e)ARC nor ethernet are possible. Currently I use neither - don't really know much about the former, and my understanding is that nothing really makes use yet of the latter - but in the interests of future-proofing are there new/planned applications of either which would ever be particularly relevant to you or me? Are there specifically any limitations to Ruipro's cable's unidirectional nature which irk you?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have to share: thank you sir!

EDIT: I've now found and read last year's cable test report where RUIPRO tied for first...and see that somehow I guess RUIPRO *does* indeed support ARC should I for whatever reason ever need it. Ok then - I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 10m run
ARC is only "somewhat reliable". Works for some, others have had issues with it. It's a "hybrid" cable, which means it has a copper return path, but that can prove tricky at longer distances and the higher speeds needed for ARC. They did update the cable but still not sure it's totally reliable. The slower speed control signalling works perfectly tho'. It syncs noticeably faster than "pure fiber" solutions, where even the HDMI signalling needs to be convert to/from optical.

Personally I have always preferred to run a separate optical cable for audio, for many reasons and still do, although I realise that prevents DD+/Atmos over ARC, if that matters to you.
nathan_h, galonzo and bdmckinl like this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.

Last edited by jong1; 11-25-2018 at 01:21 AM.
jong1 is offline  
post #19630 of 24301 Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Member
 
bdmckinl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
ARC is only "somewhat reliable". Works for some, others have had issues with it. It's a "hybrid" cable, which means it has a copper return path, but that can prove tricky at longer distances and the higher speeds needed for ARC. They did update the cable but still not sure it's totally reliable. The slower speed control signalling works perfectly tho'. It syncs noticeably faster than "pure fiber" solutions, where even the HDMI signalling needs to be convert to/from optical.

Personally I have always preferred to run a separate optical cable for audio, for many reasons and still do, although I realise that prevents DD+/Atmos over ARC, if that matters to you.
Thank you for the reply, kind sir! Given that I use the receiver as the heart of everything in the house (i.e. the projector is just needed for video and the only thing plugged into it is the HDMI from the Denon's MONITOR OUT; hell, even the TV's upstairs have their audio turned off so that I can just use the ZONE 2 overhead speakers for audio), I really can't fathom why I'd ever want (e)ARC for anything at all let alone Atmos when my Panny 820 is also connected directly into the Denon. Perhaps I'm really missing something - I'm by no stretch of the imagination a pro in A/V - and if I *am* missing something, perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Now, if Sony were to ever bring out a remote app for their projectors then I'd certainly want ethernet out to the projector, but that's another story (and a far-fetched fantasy, seemingly...).

At any rate, cable now ordered! Count me among the RUIPRO horde now

cheers,
Duncan

4K/3D Projector: Sony VPL-VW295es | Screen: 120" 16x9 framed 'Screen Goo’ (Digital Grey) | 4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB820-K | Streaming: Apple TV 4K (64 GB) | Gaming: PS4 (500 GB), PS3 Slim (320 GB) | Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H | Speakers (5.1.4): Axiom VP150 (centre), Axiom M60 x2 (towers), Axiom EP350 (LFE), Axiom QS8 quadpolar x2 (surrounds), Axiom M3 In-Ceiling x4 (atmos) | Remote: Harmony Elite
bdmckinl is offline  
post #19631 of 24301 Old 11-25-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jong1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Ethernet over HDMI is essentially unsupported by all but the cable manufacturers and that's just so they can have 1 extra "feature" on the packet
galonzo and bdmckinl like this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.
jong1 is offline  
post #19632 of 24301 Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Member
 
filmguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not certain, but I feel like I am getting lip sync delay with my ATV 4K plugged directly into my P75-F1 and then utilizing Optical Audio Out to the receiver. Audio delay in the sense that it can't be corrected (I can only further delay it from the receiver). Is this likely due to processing time from the Vizio and then the Receiver again?

I wish there was an option to delay the video signal in relation to the Audio in the ATV 4K settings to account for this. Do you think this may be a future addition, do you think it's possible I am experiencing this issue, and is the only solution if I am to get a new receiver capable of 4K to route everything through this?

The issue seems worse with non-ATV iTunes content, such as content streamed via Infuse App over my home network NAS.
filmguy123 is offline  
post #19633 of 24301 Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,336
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
I am not certain, but I feel like I am getting lip sync delay with my ATV 4K plugged directly into my P75-F1 and then utilizing Optical Audio Out to the receiver.
Have you tried splitting the HDMI out to feed both the display and receiver from the ATV?

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #19634 of 24301 Old 11-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
I am not certain, but I feel like I am getting lip sync delay with my ATV 4K plugged directly into my P75-F1 and then utilizing Optical Audio Out to the receiver. Audio delay in the sense that it can't be corrected (I can only further delay it from the receiver). Is this likely due to processing time from the Vizio and then the Receiver again?

I wish there was an option to delay the video signal in relation to the Audio in the ATV 4K settings to account for this. Do you think this may be a future addition, do you think it's possible I am experiencing this issue, and is the only solution if I am to get a new receiver capable of 4K to route everything through this?

The issue seems worse with non-ATV iTunes content, such as content streamed via Infuse App over my home network NAS.
Yeah I've not had any lip sync issues until I started using the apple TV. So frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Billy Williams is offline  
post #19635 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Member
 
DVDMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question AppleTV 4K hdmi problems

I need some help troubleshooting a problem with my AppleTV 4K. Back in September, I purchased the ATV4K so that I could get Atmos sound from Netflix. Everything was working beautifully until last week. I made no changes to my system. However, I can’t state if there were auto updates done on the ATV4K, denon 4300 receiver, or Vizio tv.

The ATV4K is routed to my denon 4300, then the denon is routed to a Vizio 4k tv which is vision enabled. I am using all certified high speed premium hdmi 2 hdmi cables by monoprice. None of these cables were changed since it’s been working in September.

I first noticed a problem when booting up and the ATV4K asked if I wanted to “try hdr now”. I had previously set my ATV4K so that it would not use Dolby Vision at all times and only output vision when the content signal was Vision. This had been working fine. ATV4K menus were normal, Netflix hdr and non hdr programming was routed and displayed properly.

I could not get the ATV4K remote to move off of the try selection and to the “cancel” selection. Eventually the menu function just displayed a black screen. Tried unplugging and plugging back in and still nothing got passed to tv. Just ablack screen or no hdmi signal message seen generated by my tv.

So I swap input ports on my denon. No change.

So I connect the ATV4K directly to the tv and I’m back on to seeing something, back it it letting me want to try hdr now. This time I can select cancel and go into the menus and set them up, still with a direct connection to the tv. I play Netflix and I get an intermittent picture. I swap cables, still intermittent.

I run the hdmi cable test and it passes.

Next, I move the ATV4K to another similar but entirely different system. It has a denon 3400 and another Vizio tv with vision. I have similar issues there with different cables and with the same cable used in the first system. I plug in acsony 700 using the same cables as was the ATV4K and can play a uhd disk with Atmos and Dolby Vision without issue through this system using the same cabling as the problem ATV4K was using.

At some point in the process, I was able and did do a complete reset of the ATV4K. I know this worked because I had to re-enter my Apple ID and Netflix password, etc. problems with flickering picture or black still existed after this though. I even had a black picture onlybwhen playing Netflix content. All of the menus looked fine and I even got sound but no picture except for averlays such as the “skip intro” Netflix shows allowing you to skip opening credits. My tv even showed “vision” encoding and 2160 signal on the info screen. But no actual picture.

So I Hook the ATV4K directly to the tv in the second system and this time I go to the menu and enable the hdr. It seems to be working without flickering picture. So then I go through the denon and have to enable hdr again (it seems to know that something is not the same when you change its signal path or connection?) so now Netflix is working fine, vision and Atmos. But now everything is vision and Atmos no matter what the Netflix signal is. But no flickering no black screens. While not ideal, I could live with this.

So I move the ATV4K back to the first system. I am back to getting no picture at all. Tv says no hdmi signal detected. The ATV4K light turns on. So I know it’s getting power. But other than that it looks dead.

Is there anything else I can try?

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203
DVDMike is offline  
post #19636 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 6,211
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
How do I implement "closed captions/sub titles" on the ATV4K Netflix app?

The ATV4K "closed captions" option (Home/Settings/General/Accessibility/sub titles and captioning) does not implement closed captions when using the Netflix app.

With both my Roku Netflix app and organic Netflix app on the Z9D, once a title is selected, a "audio and sub titles" caption appears just under the episodes. It allows the successful selection/implementation of closed captions.

The ATV4K Netflix app does not provide for the "audio and sub titles" selection. That lack of availability, plus the fact that the ATV4K settings option for closed captions doesn't work for the Netflix app, appears to kill any ATV4K Netflix closed caption functionality.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
rlb is offline  
post #19637 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snpanago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
How do I implement "closed captions/sub titles" on the ATV4K Netflix app?

The ATV4K "closed captions" option (Home/Settings/General/Accessibility/sub titles and captioning) does not implement closed captions when using the Netflix app.

With both my Roku Netflix app and organic Netflix app on the Z9D, once a title is selected, a "audio and sub titles" caption appears just under the episodes. It allows the successful selection/implementation of closed captions.

The ATV4K Netflix app does not provide for the "audio and sub titles" selection. That lack of availability, plus the fact that the ATV4K settings option for closed captions doesn't work for the Netflix app, appears to kill any ATV4K Netflix closed caption functionality.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Direction down on the remote and the Info/Subtitles/Audio menu appears from the top of the screen, when playing the video you’ve selected.
R8ders2K, rlb and Tweeter2002 like this.
snpanago is offline  
post #19638 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
met_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Easthampton, MA
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Amazon doesn’t offer DV via ATV4K.


Maybe I’m going crazy, but I’m pretty sure I watched Jack Ryan in DV from my Apple TV
leojj25 likes this.
met_fan is offline  
post #19639 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,001
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6338 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Maybe I’m going crazy, but I’m pretty sure I watched Jack Ryan in DV from my Apple TV


You might want to check again TV internal apps will offer DV, JR was HDR10 when I watched it close to release.
leojj25 likes this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #19640 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,987
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
I need some help troubleshooting a problem with my AppleTV 4K. Back in September, I purchased the ATV4K so that I could get Atmos sound from Netflix. Everything was working beautifully until last week. I made no changes to my system. However, I can’t state if there were auto updates done on the ATV4K, denon 4300 receiver, or Vizio tv.

The ATV4K is routed to my denon 4300, then the denon is routed to a Vizio 4k tv which is vision enabled. I am using all certified high speed premium hdmi 2 hdmi cables by monoprice. None of these cables were changed since it’s been working in September.

I first noticed a problem when booting up and the ATV4K asked if I wanted to “try hdr now”. I had previously set my ATV4K so that it would not use Dolby Vision at all times and only output vision when the content signal was Vision. This had been working fine. ATV4K menus were normal, Netflix hdr and non hdr programming was routed and displayed properly.

I could not get the ATV4K remote to move off of the try selection and to the “cancel” selection. Eventually the menu function just displayed a black screen. Tried unplugging and plugging back in and still nothing got passed to tv. Just ablack screen or no hdmi signal message seen generated by my tv.

So I swap input ports on my denon. No change.

So I connect the ATV4K directly to the tv and I’m back on to seeing something, back it it letting me want to try hdr now. This time I can select cancel and go into the menus and set them up, still with a direct connection to the tv. I play Netflix and I get an intermittent picture. I swap cables, still intermittent.

I run the hdmi cable test and it passes.

Next, I move the ATV4K to another similar but entirely different system. It has a denon 3400 and another Vizio tv with vision. I have similar issues there with different cables and with the same cable used in the first system. I plug in acsony 700 using the same cables as was the ATV4K and can play a uhd disk with Atmos and Dolby Vision without issue through this system using the same cabling as the problem ATV4K was using.

At some point in the process, I was able and did do a complete reset of the ATV4K. I know this worked because I had to re-enter my Apple ID and Netflix password, etc. problems with flickering picture or black still existed after this though. I even had a black picture onlybwhen playing Netflix content. All of the menus looked fine and I even got sound but no picture except for averlays such as the “skip intro” Netflix shows allowing you to skip opening credits. My tv even showed “vision” encoding and 2160 signal on the info screen. But no actual picture.

So I Hook the ATV4K directly to the tv in the second system and this time I go to the menu and enable the hdr. It seems to be working without flickering picture. So then I go through the denon and have to enable hdr again (it seems to know that something is not the same when you change its signal path or connection?) so now Netflix is working fine, vision and Atmos. But now everything is vision and Atmos no matter what the Netflix signal is. But no flickering no black screens. While not ideal, I could live with this.

So I move the ATV4K back to the first system. I am back to getting no picture at all. Tv says no hdmi signal detected. The ATV4K light turns on. So I know it’s getting power. But other than that it looks dead.

Is there anything else I can try?
I sure don't know ... that's a lot.
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #19641 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
I need some help troubleshooting a problem with my AppleTV 4K.
Spoiler!


Is there anything else I can try?
HDMI is friction-fitting, and I would venture that the cable from your AVR to your display may have been nudged ever so slightly, so I would power everything down (in fact, unplug power to the display and AVR completely for at least a few minutes to let any remaining power to dissipate), unplug and re-plug said cable and power everything back on.

If these are the cables you're talking about, I also use them, and I did get one faulty 10' that I had to replace, otherwise the rest have been rock solid in my system(s)
DVDMike, naustin and Musician like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #19642 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
met_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Easthampton, MA
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You might want to check again TV internal apps will offer DV, JR was HDR10 when I watched it close to release.


Checked when I got home and I guess I was crazy
met_fan is offline  
post #19643 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 03:14 PM
Member
 
DVDMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Norcross, GA
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
HDMI is friction-fitting, and I would venture that the cable from your AVR to your display may have been nudged ever so slightly, so I would power everything down (in fact, unplug power to the display and AVR completely for at least a few minutes to let any remaining power to dissipate), unplug and re-plug said cable and power everything back on.

If these are the cables you're talking about, I also use them, and I did get one faulty 10' that I had to replace, otherwise the rest have been rock solid in my system(s)
I’ve removed and replaced the cables multiple times. I even purchased a brand new high speed cable and tried it. Everything has been powered off and on multiple times. However, I have not actually tried unplugging everything. This might help with the denon. I’ll try this.

Edit. I tried unplugging everything, waited 60 seconds, still no signal going through the denon. I do get a signal when I go direct to the tv. But since I can’t get Atmos through the ARC channel. This is of no use to me.

I think I’ll make this post over on the denon page to see if there was a firmware update that might have introduced this problem.

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203

Last edited by DVDMike; 11-26-2018 at 03:23 PM.
DVDMike is offline  
post #19644 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay, I seemed to have lost my "Wish List" in itunes. It's not where it should be and I can't find it. Did I lose it in here, has anyone spotted it laying around anywhere.
Tweeter2002 is offline  
post #19645 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,419
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter2002 View Post
Okay, I seemed to have lost my "Wish List" in itunes. It's not where it should be and I can't find it. Did I lose it in here, has anyone spotted it laying around anywhere.


I saw a list but it had Paul Blart and Twilight movies so I tossed it. Was that yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thomasfxlt and Tweeter2002 like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #19646 of 24301 Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thomasfxlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
I’m having some intermittment black level response issues with the Movie app and my Sony Z9F. On a few occasions, the panel almost appears to having dimming set to OFF. There’s a washed out appearance especially in darker scenes. When it’s working correctly, it’s fantastic. It could be a bandwidth related byproduct of the compression but it’s clearly not right. Even a 1080 rendition should reproduce black properly. Is it the TV, AppleTV, movie app.... not sure. I tried the VUDU app and same film and it was fine. Went back to the movie app and it was fine.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
thomasfxlt is offline  
post #19647 of 24301 Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I’m having some intermittment black level response issues with the Movie app and my Sony Z9F. On a few occasions, the panel almost appears to having dimming set to OFF. There’s a washed out appearance especially in darker scenes. When it’s working correctly, it’s fantastic. It could be a bandwidth related byproduct of the compression but it’s clearly not right. Even a 1080 rendition should reproduce black properly. Is it the TV, AppleTV, movie app.... not sure. I tried the VUDU app and same film and it was fine. Went back to the movie app and it was fine.
For what it is worth I'm not convinced the black level is where it should be on the AppleTV4K.
I have a Lumagen video processor which has some smart algorithms which can detect the location of the black bars in content and report the input aspect ratio.
I then have a script running on a Raspberry Pi which reads this information in and drives my screen electric masks.

The Lumagen is generally unable to spot the black bars on SDR content from Netflix, though it generally works fine on the same content on an alternative Sony bluray player with Netflix. For HDR content it usually seems to fair better.

Lumagen are looking into it to see if it is possible to make the detection more robust, but I'm pretty sure there is either a lot of non-black noise in the black bars (which would be unusual) or the black level isn't quite where it should be.

I'm trying to get hold of an analyzer which can read back the pixel data to see what the AppleTV is actually outputting in the black areas.
galonzo and thomasfxlt like this.
bobof is online now  
post #19648 of 24301 Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post

I'm trying to get hold of an analyzer which can read back the pixel data to see what the AppleTV is actually outputting in the black areas.
Interesting. I would assume that Apple doesn't put anything into the black bars and that the black bars are added by the display device to reformat the input video to the output screen size.

ie If the display receives 4:3 format video it either stretches the video or outputs black bars to fit the display based on display setting.
GregCh is offline  
post #19649 of 24301 Old 11-27-2018, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,336
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I have a Lumagen video processor which has some smart algorithms which can detect the location of the black bars in content and report the input aspect ratio.

...

The Lumagen is generally unable to spot the black bars on SDR content from Netflix, though it generally works fine on the same content on an alternative Sony bluray player with Netflix. For HDR content it usually seems to fair better.

Lumagen are looking into it to see if it is possible to make the detection more robust, but I'm pretty sure there is either a lot of non-black noise in the black bars (which would be unusual) or the black level isn't quite where it should be.

On the ATV4K Netflix encodes horizontal bars. UHD content is sent as 3840x2160, HD content is sent as 1920x1080. The SD content I checked is sent as 1440x1080. The encoded masks are noisy.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #19650 of 24301 Old 11-27-2018, 03:04 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Interesting. I would assume that Apple doesn't put anything into the black bars and that the black bars are added by the display device to reformat the input video to the output screen size.

ie If the display receives 4:3 format video it either stretches the video or outputs black bars to fit the display based on display setting.
Your assumption is wrong; otherwise the AppleTV wouldn't be able to pop-over the OSD overlays . The "black" pixels are sent by the AppleTV to the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
On the ATV4K Netflix encodes horizontal bars. UHD content is sent as 3840x2160, HD content is sent as 1920x1080. The SD content I checked is sent as 1440x1080. The encoded masks are noisy.
I think there might be more to it than the encoded masks being noisy. I don't get why the Sony player with the same content is much better behaved. Take "The Hitman's Bodyguard". With the AppleTV it never manages to detect the bars, with the Sony it detects very quick.

Assuming the same streams are being pulled (big assumption) it wouldn't seem that it could just be due to noise in the bars, as encoded noise would normally be rendered the same.

Of course, it is possible (I can't get debug info up) that the Sony is pulling a cropped encode and adding the bars itself. It is also possible it pulls a different encode. And it is possible too that the Sony is crushing the black noise, and the AppleTV is actually correct. Perhaps I'm pre-judging the ATV4K based on their inability to follow other standards...

I'll see if I can find any test videos to try.
galonzo likes this.
bobof is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , mgy52ll , mqd22ll , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off