Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 757 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29172Likes

post #22681 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before but after installing the latest OS I found and installed the Vudu app and could see my collection including my 3D collection. I selected one of the 3D movies and it played although in left eye, right eye configuration. Is there a way to have the atv play it back correctly?
When you say left eye, right eye configuration I assume you mean there were 2 images displayed side by side on the screen.

This is the ATV playing it back correctly. The next step is to tell your display the signal is 3D SBS (Side By Side format) and it will do the rest.

It's a very scarcely known fact the ATV can play 3D.
mitchlampert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22682 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post
Same issues over here with the flashing in dark scenes. Noticed it real bad on Blade Runner 2049 and John Wick. Both streamed from Itunes. I have a Vizio p65-c1.
same flashing here on itunes but also on MA (Vudu seems ok)! last update is a mess.. and the tone mapping from the DV to HDR conversion(itunes) used to be good but now the colors are a bit washed out compared to MA and vudu.
galonzo and talldrink67 like this.
post #22683 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
When you say left eye, right eye configuration I assume you mean there were 2 images displayed side by side on the screen.

This is the ATV playing it back correctly. The next step is to tell your display the signal is 3D SBS (Side By Side format) and it will do the rest.

Do you use Infuse Brian? If I copy a 3D BD to my NAS, will Infuse on the ATV4K play it in 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22684 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Do you use Infuse Brian? If I copy a 3D BD to my NAS, will Infuse on the ATV4K play it in 3D?

Yes. I use infuse. (Love it... paid for infuse 6 pro stand alone I think.)

Now if you copy a 3D BD to your NAS as SBS format you can play it back via the ATV.

I don't know what would happen if you played back Frame packed MKV from infuse but I believe that does not work if I remember correctly.

If you see video side by side from the ATV then it's playing correctly. Tell a 3D display to expect the Side by Side format and you will have 3D. In my case I would have to force 1080p first. (My 4K projector only does 3D in 1080p max.)

In the case of my own home theater I keep a disc player for any type of disc (CD, DVD, Blu Ray, 3D Blu Ray, UHD Blu Ray) and I just keep a shelf of 3DBD because I only have about 120 of them so it's not a big shelf. I just play them back as intended: Sony X700 UHD Disc player -> AVR -> 3D Projector. ... I thought about putting them on the NAS and Network but then why bother if I have everything ready to go to use them as intended.

I do have a Single Vudu 3D title - Hotel Transylvania and I can play that back using the ATV4K fine. I have to force the Projector into 1080p first and then tell it to use 3D side by side mode. It was interesting... If I could get credit for my discs with Vudu like a Disc to 3D Digital program I would probably do it for a few titles.

-Brian
post #22685 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My beef with Infuse (just started trial yesterday) is that it doesn't show Subtitles properly from a ripped-to-NAS BDMV structure!?!?!

Quote:
...Now if you copy a 3D BD to your NAS as SBS format you can play it back via the ATV.
But I would just want to rip the existing structure to NAS which I believe is/are MVC not SBS?

I'm just starting-out, and trying to learn how to rip stuff and while .mkv might be an option I dunno that I trust it.

Quote:
If you see video side by side from the ATV then it's playing correctly. Tell a 3D display to expect the Side by Side format and you will have 3D. In my case I would have to force 1080p first. (My 4K projector only does 3D in 1080p max.)
My Sony 4K will, I think, have the ability to play any 3D format according to my user guide.

Quote:
I only have about 120 of them so it's not a big shelf.
Yikes I have just 12! And many/most of the 3D titles are not of interest here.

Thanks for your insight--I am targeting a system that doesn't require wifey to have to handle any discs!
post #22686 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Subtitles are tricky.

I use my ATV4K most of the time so I considered not having a disc player but it's too handy to not have. My UHD Disc player (Sony X700) does SACD and 3DBD and it's also good for 4K YouTube which is something you won't get from ATV4K.

I won't keep 1500 blu rays on shelves these days. I put them in storage boxes and make MKVs for NAS and infuse. But one by one I'm finding them in streaming licenses anyway so my Plex/infuse library is under 1000 now and shrinking daily. I may not need infuse eventually but I think I always will.

I kept a singe shelf for discs and I have all most of my music box sets on there. There's a single shelf for 3D as like I say 120 isn't bad to have on a shelf.

-Brian
post #22687 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
My beef with Infuse (just started trial yesterday) is that it doesn't show Subtitles properly from a ripped-to-NAS BDMV structure!?!?!
It does for all my regular Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays I have tried.
Brian Hampton and vince48 like this.
post #22688 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It does for all my regular Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays I have tried.
In that structure (BDMV), or are you referring to titles ripped to MKV?
post #22689 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
In that structure (BDMV), or are you referring to titles ripped to MKV?
Straight 1:1 backup in BDMV structure.
galonzo likes this.
post #22690 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Straight 1:1 backup in BDMV structure.
Thanks my friend for the confirmation - just wanted to check.
post #22691 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Thanks my friend for the confirmation - just wanted to check.
No problem!

I should clarify that I have all my movies nested inside AVCHD folders, not sure if that will make a difference.
galonzo likes this.
post #22692 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...[subs work] for all my regular Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays I have tried.
Yikes well maybe I simply need to try them using Infuse on the ATV4K--I have only looked at them using Infuse on my iPad so far.

I have created only three "disc to digital conversions" thus far: one as .mkv, a second (The Deer Hunter) is an HD-DVD that I converted using ClownBD, and a third Pinocchio that I tried BD-Rebuilder (jdobbs) to make. These last two are now both in NAS folders that have full BDMV and CERTIFICATE structures within.

I made the .mkv with compression (B/W movie "The Artist") but I want to do everything with Zero Conversions if possible. My NAS has some 26TB and with my modest collection that should be more than adequate I think.
post #22693 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
On the topic of 3D, can the Appletv 4k play 3D through Plex? I have a Nividia Shield as the Server, and would prefer using the Apple TV in the theater room, versus using the shield there. Theater is being built otherwise I would test it myself. Recently added a number of SBS 3D films and hear there can be some problems with certain devices not feeding the SBS signal correctly for the projector to allow 3d being turned on manually.
post #22694 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
On the topic of 3D, can the Appletv 4k play 3D through Plex? I have a Nividia Shield as the Server, and would prefer using the Apple TV in the theater room, versus using the shield there. Theater is being built otherwise I would test it myself. Recently added a number of SBS 3D films and hear there can be some problems with certain devices not feeding the SBS signal correctly for the projector to allow 3d being turned on manually.
SBS format should work via Plex on ATV.
post #22695 of 25666 Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezrb View Post
Hey all, I’ve been having an issue with 4K HDR content streamed through apples own iTunes service. On black or near black scenes there seems to be a pulsing or strobing effect that I haven’t been able to resolve. For instance, in the first 3 minutes of black mass outside the bar peripheral darker parts of my tv, not the letterboxed portions, exhibit this effect.

I’ve watched the same movie through vudu and it didn’t have any strobing or pulsing. I’ve tried bypassing my avr as well and it still pops up. I have a vizio pq65-f1 and will also post this in the relevant forum. But does anyone have any relevant thought on the matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I noticed the same thing on La La Land the other night. I don’t have the 4K version in Vudu so, I can’t check there. Haven’t seen it in anything else yet, but I’ve only check a couple.

I tell ya, I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to tvOS 12.2 back in March. I wish I could go back to an earlier firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souks83 View Post
This is also happening to me. I noticed it while watching the Harry Potter movies through the Apple TV app. Vudu doesn’t exhibit the issue. I also have a Vizio P55-F1
I registered for the forum when I saw this discussion...

I just want confirm this is what everyone is discussing:

"John Wick" clip:

This happens with 4K HDR and Dolby Vision iTunes movie purchases in the new (and improved???) tvOS 12.3 TV app on two Apple TV 4Ks. Non-HDR content plays just fine. Other apps play the same movies just fine.

I tried three different HDMI cables (all different manufacturers) using an LG 55SK9000, LG 65SK9000 (and also an LG OLED I hooked my Apple TV to at the store just for troubleshooting purposes). I power cycled everything from the Apple TVs, the TV's themselves and even the router and modem just to rule everything out. I also did a factory reset of the Apple TV. None of that fixed the problem.

The only "fix" (well, a workaround) is to put the Apple TV in 4K SDR and then those movies play without the flicker/pulsating dark scenes (of course, what's the point of having a nice HDR box and TV when the HDR doesn't work properly).

Anyways, I filled out a bug report on the Apple developer site (submitting those clips and some others as samples). I've also filed a report over the phone with Apple. If this is your problem, please phone Apple and report it to draw their attention to this issue.

Thanks.

Last edited by grimley141; 05-22-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #22696 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed The Hiunger Games is available in 4K again on iTunes.
(Was downgraded to HD for weeks.)
post #22697 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
I noticed The Hiunger Games is available in 4K again on iTunes.
(Was downgraded to HD for weeks.)
Thanks for letting us know. I also stumbled on the fact that my "Fast & Furious" 2009 was upgraded from HD to UHD. The only one left in my library that is still downgraded to HD is "Christine".
Brian Hampton likes this.

lujan
562 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #22698 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

When I first tried to watch 3D on the ATV it didn't work until I realized that I had to change the display resolution to 1080p and then play the movie. It works perfectly! Why doesn't Apple just add 3D support to the firmware? Obviously the unit already supports 3D and it would automatically do what I have to manually do now.
galonzo likes this.
post #22699 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 05:05 AM

Just a quick follow-up to my post above...I pulled the second and third clips because I don’t know how touchy Youtube is with copyright these days, even for things such as this (short clips for bug analysis). Anyways, since the issue is clearly shown in the first John Wick clip I figured that did a good enough job of visually demonstrating the issue.
post #22700 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Since I recently converted from using a Roku to the ATV4k, I used Movies Anywhere to import my 200+ movie library to iTunes but none of the movies have UHD or ATMOS support even though I always purchased the highest resolution version on Vudu. Is there a way to have Apple improve the resolution in the Apple Movies section without repurchasing?
post #22701 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Since I recently converted from using a Roku to the ATV4k, I used Movies Anywhere to import my 200+ movie library to iTunes but none of the movies have UHD or ATMOS support even though I always purchased the highest resolution version on Vudu. Is there a way to have Apple improve the resolution in the Apple Movies section without repurchasing?
That is an odd one. Are you able to play other UHD/ATMOS content from other streaming sources on that ATV4K? All of my UHD/ATMOS content came over to iTunes no problem. In fact some of my movies were upgraded to UHD/ATMOS automatically over on iTunes...which is the way it is supposed to work IIRC. You may have to reach out to Apple support.

Mark
post #22702 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I first tried to watch 3D on the ATV it didn't work until I realized that I had to change the display resolution to 1080p and then play the movie. It works perfectly! Why doesn't Apple just add 3D support to the firmware? Obviously the unit already supports 3D and it would automatically do what I have to manually do now.
Keep in mind 3D doesn't exist in native 4K at all. If you're using a off the shelf player for 3DBD then it's processing things at 1080p and maybe then upscaling after if it does that.

My projector locks out anything regarding 3D if you set it up for more than 1080p.

For now 3D didn't make the jump to 4K ...

Naturally if your display is fixed panel 4K then some upscaling happens somewhere so I'm not saying the 3D stays at 1080p but it at least starts at 1080p. (This is confusing me even though I understand it.)

As far as Apple supporting 3D I really really really doubt they would open themselves up for the problems related to 3D. They are forward thinking if anything and 3D is no longer on anyone's road map for now. Very few displays still support it.

-Brian
mitchlampert likes this.
post #22703 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty01 View Post
same flashing here on itunes but also on MA (Vudu seems ok)! last update is a mess.. and the tone mapping from the DV to HDR conversion(itunes) used to be good but now the colors are a bit washed out compared to MA and vudu.
I just noticed this last night when watching John Wick. I thought it had to do with my 2016 LG C6 OLED. So apparently this is an ATV4K issue?
post #22704 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
That is an odd one. Are you able to play other UHD/ATMOS content from other streaming sources on that ATV4K? All of my UHD/ATMOS content came over to iTunes no problem. In fact some of my movies were upgraded to UHD/ATMOS automatically over on iTunes...which is the way it is supposed to work IIRC. You may have to reach out to Apple support.
All of the content that I purchase through iTunes plays with UHD/ATMOS, only the imported titles don't even though I could re-purchase the title on iTunes and then it will.
post #22705 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
All of the content that I purchase through iTunes plays with UHD/ATMOS, only the imported titles don't even though I could re-purchase the title on iTunes and then it will.

Only content purchased through itunes is eligible for 4k upgrade.

Content imported through movies anywhere doesn't get the free 4k upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22706 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
None of my content was purchased thru iTunes. All of the content that has UHD/ATMOS available is in UHD/ATMOS on iTunes and, as I said, I have not purchased any of it thru iTunes.

Mark
post #22707 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
Only content purchased through itunes is eligible for 4k upgrade.

Content imported through movies anywhere doesn't get the free 4k upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe I’m just lucky then. Two of my movies for which I only own the HDX version on VUDU are 4k HDR on iTunes on my ATV4k, Alien and Lone Survivor. And again, I never buy any content thru Apple. I have only had my ATV4k for a few months (bought it only to get access to PSVue multiview and NetFlix ATMOS, not an Apple fan for various reasons not germane to this discussion) and was surprised to see this when I looked thru my movies on iTunes.

Mark
post #22708 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley141 View Post
I registered for the forum when I saw this discussion...
I just want confirm this is what everyone is discussing:

"John Wick"
"Glass"
"Bad Times at the El Royale"

This happens with 4K HDR and Dolby Vision iTunes movie purchases in the new (and improved???) tvOS 12.3 TV app on two Apple TV 4Ks. Non-HDR content plays just fine. Other apps play the same movies just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post
I just noticed this last night when watching John Wick. I thought it had to do with my 2016 LG C6 OLED. So apparently this is an ATV4K issue?
I'm running 12.4 beta, and watched the "John Wick" iTunes DV example. I saw zero issues on my LG OLED C7.

12.4 maybe has fixed it?
talldrink67 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22709 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I'm running 12.4 beta, and watched the "John Wick" iTunes DV example. I saw zero issues on my LG OLED C7.

12.4 maybe has fixed it?

Thanks for that update. I hope it does because this bug makes HDR content unwatchable.
post #22710 of 25666 Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post

Just as a test last night to rule out my televisions I brought my Apple TV to the store where I bought my televisions late last year and they helped me hook it up to the latest top of the line LG OLED and the issue was present there as well.

A couple pages back was a report of someone with a Vizio and the same issue. At first I was concerned maybe it was an LG issue, but it seems to be across multiple manufacturers.
galonzo and talldrink67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page