Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 761 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29149Likes

post #22801 of 25643 Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I am thinking of getting an Apple TV 4k because it is the only device that does Atmos on both Netflix and amazon at this time.

Questions please:

1) On 32 vs 64 GB. I mainly want the device to stream Netflix and Amazon movies and shows. I might use some other programs but probably not much. I would think there is no reason to get the 64 GB version. Or is there?

2) On the remote? I notice some devices have awkward fast forward and reverse. By awkward I mean they either go too slow or too fast with little control between those two speeds. Or they jump to too fast after a short time. How is remote control in that regard?

3) Is voice control easy to use or do you have to train it for your voice and what words to say?
The AppleTV remote is either loved or hated. I happen to love it.

I'm not sure if you own any iOS devices ( iPad/iPhone ), but if you do there's a great app available on the App Store from Apple (FREE) - simply named "Remote". It does everything that the included candy bar remote does, plus much more including 10 second FF and RW buttons.

The fast forward and reverse are actually (IMO) really easy and efficient. Simply click on the touch pad during playback and you can swipe left or right - basically scrubbing - forward or reverse. The control is logarithmic so that the scrub speed is variable. The slower you move your thumb/finger the slower the FF or RW.

The voice control does not need any "training".

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22802 of 25643 Old 05-26-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

I'm not sure if you own any iOS devices ( iPad/iPhone ), but if you do there's a great app available on the App Store from Apple (FREE) - simply named "Remote". It does everything that the included candy bar remote does, plus much more including 10 second FF and RW buttons.

The fast forward and reverse are actually (IMO) really easy and efficient. Simply click on the touch pad during playback and you can swipe left or right - basically scrubbing - forward or reverse. The control is logarithmic so that the scrub speed is variable. The slower you move your thumb/finger the slower the FF or RW.

The voice control does not need any "training".
Unfortunately the app suffers from the same issue that all remotes without hard keys for transport suffer from...you have to look at the screen to hit the right keys. I owned several remotes over the years that were all touch screen, remember the “Pronto”?...very customizable but it had the same issue, you had to look at the screen to hit the right button. A combination of touch screen, for some functions, and hard buttons for others, particularly the transport keys, is more usable, IMHO. But yeah, it’s all personal preference.
giomania, galonzo and LDBetaGuy like this.

Mark
post #22803 of 25643 Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
The thing is we’re dealing with so many different combinations of hardware that it’s not easy to say where the issue is and it’s going to be a nightmare to reproduce.

Take my situation for example. I had zero lip sync issues when passing my audio through a Yamaha 3050. When I upgraded to my 3070, I need to set different delays when switching between 23.976hz material and 25hz material. Why the difference? I have no idea. It would be easy to criticise the amp but everything passes through it and I have zero lip sync issues with other devices. The main feature difference between the two amps is that the newer one supports Dolby Vision. Could this be the issue? And if so, why does it also consistently affect non-Dolby vision content?

Add to this, my harmony failed to correctly switch inputs on my tv once when switching between my Xbox and my Apple TV. I noticed that my lip sync issues disappeared at this point. I probably need to check this out further because it could be due to a range of reasons. My Xbox runs through a different hdmi output on my amp to a different input on my tv...and that channel on my tv has game mode enabled. So it could be that using the second output on my amp fixed lip sync, it could be that using the different input on my tv fixed lip sync or, more likely, it could be that the lower latency game mode on my tv fixed it.

So for people who are not having issues, there could be a ton of things you have set up differently. Maybe you’re using a lower latency picture mode. Maybe your tv doesn’t introduce processing delays when using 23.976hz content and mine does. Even if you have the same TV and picture mode, it could be that I have real cinema set to ‘on’ on my tv whereas you have it off. Maybe you use motion interpolation. People are consistently finding that the Apple TV is the only device in their system which is having difficulties though so it suggests that there is something worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, so many variables. Is it the cables, inputs, settings, equipment, etc........?
galonzo likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22804 of 25643 Old 05-26-2019, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Have you tried watching via the movies app rather than the tv app? I just saw pulsing in how to train your dragon and switching to the movies app fixed it.

Just had the same result watching the Fantastic Beasts 2 (don’t judge) ending. Watching in the TV app had flickering. Resuming in the Movies (iTunes) app had no flicker. Weird.
post #22805 of 25643 Old 05-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigck417 View Post
Just had the same result watching the Fantastic Beasts 2 (don’t judge) ending. Watching in the TV app had flickering. Resuming in the Movies (iTunes) app had no flicker. Weird.

Yeah I’m guessing the players must differ slightly in some way. At least there’s a workaround available until Apple get round to fixing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #22806 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I know what you saying but in the Audio & video settings the Dolby Atmos option doesn't even appear . Strange I changed HDMI cables & reset the boxes to no avail.
I seem to remember reading somewhere on AVS what you are describing (option not appearing), and what was done to fix it. I can't find it now unfortunately. Maybe someone else will point you to an answer.
Best,
Mark
Soccerdude and galonzo like this.

System
Spoiler!
post #22807 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
I like it.

Unfortunately when I use my Harmony 665 it doesn’t always fully work with certain apps, such at the MLB and SiriusXM apps, for certain things within those apps I have to bring out the Apple TV remote for swiping functions.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #22808 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I like using the Apple TV remote. It is intuitive and simple. The simple, single, raised circle button orients it nicely. Track pad works well. Holds charge for a long time. Has great range and does not require line-of-sight.

I do not like its exceedingly small and thin form. This makes it both very easy to drop and likely to slither through cushion and arm gaps down into the bowels of my theater recliners. At least twice per month, I am on all fours with cell phone flashlight in hand trying to locate and dig out that remote before it gets crushed in the recliners' mechanicals.
galonzo and sonoftumble like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver | Outlaw Model 5000 amp
LG 75UH8500 tv | Samsung UBD-K8500 4K BD player
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L & R), Horizon (C)
Rhythmik LVX12 sub | Atlantic Tech. IC-6 OBA (4x, in ceiling)
Paradigm Mini Monitor surrounds (4x)

Last edited by BrianNLS; 05-27-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Fix bad autocorrect
post #22809 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNLS View Post
I do not like its exceedingly small and thin form. This makes it both very easy to drop and likely to slither through cushion and arm gaps down into the bowels of my theater recliners. At least twice per month, I am on all fours with cell phone flashlight in hand trying to locate and dig out that remote before it gets crushed in the recliners' mechanicals.

Yes, they are slippery things and have an uncanny ability to find gaps between cushions.

A man died recently when a motorized cinema seat crushed him while he was looking for his dropped phone. Apparently once the weight is removed it will reassume the rest position. I know it is unlikely that anyone has this kind of seat at home, but turn it off first!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-48381362
galonzo likes this.
post #22810 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
Yes, they are slippery things and have an uncanny ability to find gaps between cushions.

A man died recently when a motorized cinema seat crushed him while he was looking for his dropped phone. Apparently once the weight is removed it will reassume the rest position. I know it is unlikely that anyone has this kind of seat at home, but turn it off first!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-48381362

Ouch!
post #22811 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNLS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjguk View Post
I've been using this $7 silicon case cover for my ATV remote for over a year now. It makes a definitive improvement in hand feel/heft, grip, and orientation in the dark.
post #22812 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I've been using this $7 silicon case cover for my ATV remote for over a year now. It makes a definitive improvement in hand feel/heft, grip, and orientation in the dark.
That's a great idea, but as a relatively inexperienced new ATV4K owner, do the side edges of the silicone affect one's ability to swipe?
post #22813 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I'll give it a shot since I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07454MXF1
I do not recommend it since it makes clicking the touch pad very difficult and occasionally has it stick down when clicked at the top.
NashGuy likes this.
post #22814 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Ordered one in purple. WAF
NashGuy and Rodney Nicotine like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22815 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
I like it.

Unfortunately when I use my Harmony 665 it doesn’t always fully work with certain apps, such at the MLB and SiriusXM apps, for certain things within those apps I have to bring out the Apple TV remote for swiping functions.

I have two Harmony 700 remotes. One for the downstairs HTS (LCD) with an ATV4 and the other one for the upstairs HTS (65 C8) and the ATV4k. Both remotes work just fine with any app on either ATV.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22816 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
I've been using this $7 silicon case cover ...
Good reviews so I ordered two of the "Glow in the Dark" green color from Amazon. Hope the GID works!
Brian Hampton and NashGuy like this.
post #22817 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 5001 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
ATV4K is my Kaliedoscope

And my HTPC.

I have read about Kaliedoscope systems for years and while interesting the cost always kept them out of my mind.

My first wannabe Kaliedoscope system involved putting my Blu Rays (and DVDs) onto NAS units and serving them up with Plex and I still have that... Very similar to K system. I'm slowly reducing that library by replacing with iTunes... (Still keeping my 1500-ish Blu Rays in storage boxes.) So my Plex library is just under 1000 titles now.

Buying movies on iTunes and keeping them in the cloud is a bit risky but mostly it's been stable and I think the whole experience of it is far better than K system. I have 3 kids so family sharing of 5 people works perfectly in my (and away from) my house. And now when (rarely) I do travel I just take my ATV4K with me.

I don't have any faith that K won't go out of business... in fact, It wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't see much value to it anymore.
A couple of comments (cost of a Kaleidescape system notwithstanding).

I owned (past tense) a Kaleidescape system and currently own an Apple TV (but stream my ripped movies with a Nvidia Shield/Plex.) The AppleTV interface and functionality pales in comparison to what the K system provides. Not even close. But, like you, I'm not sure about K's long term viability. They still don't have access to all studios (hence all movies), still initially release some movies without the best audio (though they eventually upgrade), and importantly, should they go "toes up", there is no backup for the movies that you downloaded from their servers. So should your hardware fail (and it eventually will) you will have lost a huge investment of the all of the movies you download from their servers. They fix those 3 issues, and I would be a user again in a heartbeat.

If the ATV would support full bandwidth bitstream audio from my NAS server, it would be my go to device.
Brian Hampton and galonzo like this.
post #22818 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
That's a great idea, but as a relatively inexperienced new ATV4K owner, do the side edges of the silicone affect one's ability to swipe?
I've been using this one for $8 ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of the ones I tried the lips/edges on this one obscure the trackpad the least. It's not a lot of extra thickness over all but I've found it extremely helpful to have on the remote. At the very least the texture of the cover keeps the remote from sliding around so much. (It also comes with magnets but I didn't need them and removed them.)
giomania likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #22819 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
That's never been an issue for me (and I got the cover shortly after getting my ATV4K last year). I will say that, after maybe 16 months on the remote, the case doesn't fit quite as snugly as it originally did. It's not a problem yet but in time it might become loose enough to need replacement.
Laserfan and sdg4vfx like this.
post #22820 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Have you tried watching via the movies app rather than the tv app? I just saw pulsing in how to train your dragon and switching to the movies app fixed it.

You’ll notice then when you watch via the Movies app it will still pulse briefly after unpausing a movie, but unlike the TV app the pulsating will stop after a few seconds.

That’s what it did for me in John Wick and Glass (the Movies app was the only way I could watch the HDR movies in HDR without the pulsating).

I have no idea what the difference is between the two apps because it’s pulling from the same source material (and the old TV app would just kick you over to the Movies app when loading your library).
post #22821 of 25643 Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I don’t mean to sidetrack the conversation but has anyone else noticed the disappearance of the “audio & subtitles” option while browsing titles in the Netflix app? I just noticed it today. I have an LG and the tv’s native Netflix app still displays “audio & subtitles” and allows me to choose before I play any content. The ATV 4K no longer has that option for me. I have the latest iOS update. Any ideas why this has happened?
post #22822 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
I don’t mean to sidetrack the conversation but has anyone else noticed the disappearance of the “audio & subtitles” option while browsing titles in the Netflix app? I just noticed it today. I have an LG and the tv’s native Netflix app still displays “audio & subtitles” and allows me to choose before I play any content. The ATV 4K no longer has that option for me. I have the latest iOS update. Any ideas why this has happened?
I've never used the "audio & subtitles” option while browsing titles in Netflix. But, once a movie starts playing, if I want subtitles or want to change the language, I just swipe down on the remote and you choose your settings then.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #22823 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I've never used the "audio & subtitles” option while browsing titles in Netflix. But, once a movie starts playing, if I want subtitles or want to change the language, I just swipe down on the remote and you choose your settings then.
But do you still have the "audio & subtitles" option visible while looking at titles or is Netflix beginning to get rid of that option altogether?
post #22824 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
plus much more including 10 second FF and RW buttons.

The fast forward and reverse are actually (IMO) really easy and efficient. Simply click on the touch pad during playback and you can swipe left or right - basically scrubbing - forward or reverse.
The Siri Remote has (somewhat hard to use) skip functions. Scrubbing is scrubbing, not FF/REW. The Siri Remote (and Remote app) support FF/REW and scrubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Unfortunately the app suffers from the same issue that all remotes without hard keys for transport suffer from
[edit for clarity]
The Siri Remote [which the Remote app emulates] has physical buttons plus a track pad. [A better choice for button lovers.] Given the function mapping you don't have to look to use it unless you've picked it up with the track pad at the bottom. The newer version tries to help with that as well. It is true that some of the touch functions are hard to use because there are too many of them. I.e. the Siri Remote has the iOS too-many-gestures problem.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8

Last edited by bodosom; 05-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #22825 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1602 View Post
1. Are DV enhanced titles on iTunes and Netflix encoded in 10-bit or 12-bit color depth?
(I think it's 10-bit but anyone can confirm?)
Apple confirms (on the specifications page) that the ATV4K supports H.265 (HEVC) Main 10.
There are links to the documentation in the first post in this thread.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #22826 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
The Siri Remote has (somewhat hard to use) skip functions. Scrubbing is scrubbing, not FF/REW. The Siri Remote (and Remote app) support FF/REW and scrubbing.

The Siri Remote has physical buttons plus a track pad. Given the function mapping you don't have to look to use it unless you've picked it up with the track pad at the bottom. The newer version tries to help with that as well. It is true that some of the touch functions are hard to use because there are too many of them. I.e. the Siri Remote has the iOS too-many-gestures problem.
I was commenting on a discussion concerning the iOS remote app running on an iPhone or iPad. Had nothing to do with the “Siri remote”...whatever that is.

Mark
post #22827 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
But do you still have the "audio & subtitles" option visible while looking at titles or is Netflix beginning to get rid of that option altogether?
I'm not in front of my ATV at the moment. I will have to check this evening. Where did it use to be? I can check to see if I can see it.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #22828 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I'm not in front of my ATV at the moment. I will have to check this evening. Where did it use to be? I can check to see if I can see it.
It was previously one of the options when you selected "more info" for any movie or tv show in the ATV app. Now the only options are to give the movie a thumbs up/down, to continue watching, add to queue... but no audio & subtitles. I'm thinking it has to be that Netflix simply removed that option in iOS. Thanks for offering to check it out!
post #22829 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I have two Harmony 700 remotes. One for the downstairs HTS (LCD) with an ATV4 and the other one for the upstairs HTS (65 C8) and the ATV4k. Both remotes work just fine with any app on either ATV.
How do you do swipe functions?
post #22830 of 25643 Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6245
Just saw this posted elsewhere, might be good news, might be nothing. Until official I’d say “nothing”

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...take.2183026/?
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page