Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 762 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28734Likes

post #22831 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
The thing is we’re dealing with so many different combinations of hardware that it’s not easy to say where the issue is and it’s going to be a nightmare to reproduce...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Yup, so many variables. Is it the cables, inputs, settings, equipment, etc........?
Different hardware combinations and beyond that different settings ... there's a slew of variables.

So here's two specific jump-off questions. In this context an "audio-sync problem" means sync values that change with different video/audio formats. (A single consistent sync offset value is not considered a "problem".)

1. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > 2016 LG OLED C6/E6 (those two models have same panel and proc). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using?

2. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > Sony OLED A9F (or A8F). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using? (Curious if the Sony OLEDs have less sync issues than the LG OLEDs?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22832 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
How do you do swipe functions?
Which particular ones are you looking for? I have found that the ones I needed were duplicated via double taps of the direction keys on the d-pad or other keys. For instance, to bring up the app switcher you double tap home. Once in the app switcher to close out an app you double tap “up”. This all assumes that you are using the bt control not ir control for the ATV4k.
brotony likes this.

Mark
post #22833 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Different hardware combinations and beyond that different settings ... there's a slew of variables.

So here's two specific jump-off questions. In this context an "audio-sync problem" means sync values that change with different video/audio formats. (A single consistent sync offset value is not considered a "problem".)

1. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > 2016 LG OLED C6/E6 (those two models have same panel and proc). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using?

2. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > Sony OLED A9F (or A8F). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using? (Curious if the Sony OLEDs have less sync issues than the LG OLEDs?)
One of my systems has an A1E and an Onkyo TX-NR686 and I do not have sync issues.
galonzo and sdg4vfx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22834 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
How do you do swipe functions?
I just use the arrow keys to migrate where ever I need to go, find the function, and do my thing.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22835 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Which particular ones are you looking for? I have found that the ones I needed were duplicated via double taps of the direction keys on the d-pad or other keys. For instance, to bring up the app switcher you double tap home. Once in the app switcher to close out an app you double tap “up”. This all assumes that you are using the bt control not ir control for the ATV4k.
Yeah the 665 is IR only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I just use the arrow keys to migrate where ever I need to go, find the function, and do my thing.
Correct, but there are some things you need to swipe up or down to do.

Thanks
post #22836 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thinking of moving to an Apple TV4K for streaming Netflix and Prime.

Was doing this through my 2016 LG OLED TV however that only provides (via ARC - Denon AVR6300) lossy sound codecs (and won't do ATMOS). Of course it does provide HDR and Dolby Vision.

I moved to an Xbox One S for streaming. This recently received an upgrade which now means XBOX One Dolby Vision is no longer compatible with my TV's Dolby Vision.

If I move to an AppleTV 4K will I be able to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video with:
  • UHD 4K HDR
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby ATMOS
  • Other lossless audio codecs?

Or am I likely to wind up compromising in one way or another. At the moment I can get Dolby Vision using the TV but that means a lossy soundtrack. Via the Xbox I can get HDR and Dolby ATMOS.

And no, I'm not simply replacing the XBOX to get this functionality. Another device elsewhere in the house has died and I'm thinking of replacing it with the XBOX and getting an AppleTV provided the AppleTV can deliver HDR/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS without issue.

Anybody know if the AppleTV can do this and if so might there be issues in my setup: AppleTV>Denon AVR6300>LG 65" OLED B6?

Cheers
post #22837 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
One of my systems has an A1E and an Onkyo TX-NR686 and I do not have sync issues.
Thanks. Do you watch SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision content?

post #22838 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
Thinking of moving to an Apple TV4K for streaming Netflix and Prime.

Was doing this through my 2016 LG OLED TV however that only provides (via ARC - Denon AVR6300) lossy sound codecs (and won't do ATMOS). Of course it does provide HDR and Dolby Vision.

I moved to an Xbox One S for streaming. This recently received an upgrade which now means XBOX One Dolby Vision is no longer compatible with my TV's Dolby Vision.

If I move to an AppleTV 4K will I be able to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video with:

• UHD 4K HDR
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby ATMOS
  • Other lossless audio codecs?

Or am I likely to wind up compromising in one way or another. At the moment I can get Dolby Vision using the TV but that means a lossy soundtrack. Via the Xbox I can get HDR and Dolby ATMOS.

And no, I'm not simply replacing the XBOX to get this functionality. Another device elsewhere in the house has died and I'm thinking of replacing it with the XBOX and getting an AppleTV provided the AppleTV can deliver HDR/Dolby Vision/Dolby ATMOS without issue.

Anybody know if the AppleTV can do this and if so might there be issues in my setup: AppleTV>Denon AVR6300>LG 65" OLED B6?

Cheers

No streaming service for video offers lossless audio. The ATMOS is the lossy DD+ variant. The ATV4K does offer HDR10, DV and ATMOS when available.
mjwagner and galonzo like this.
post #22839 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Yeah the 665 is IR only.

Thanks
Yeah, unfortunately it’s an issue if you are using ir . I use Harmony Elites so connect via bt.

Mark
post #22840 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
All of the above, yes.
post #22841 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:

Thanks
Whatever those things are they must not be useful to me because I find I can do whatever I need to do with my Harmony. If there are specific features that I need that aren't available on the basic Harmony screen, I just click on Devices -> ATV4k and just move to where ever.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22842 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
It was previously one of the options when you selected "more info" for any movie or tv show in the ATV app. Now the only options are to give the movie a thumbs up/down, to continue watching, add to queue... but no audio & subtitles. I'm thinking it has to be that Netflix simply removed that option in iOS. Thanks for offering to check it out!
Just checked...

There is no option listed under "more info" that allows you select a different language or select subtitles. It only list exactly what you mentioned. Maybe someone with a non iOS device will be able to verify if it's just an iOS thing.

Like I mentioned earlier, just swipe down on the track pad once a movie/show has started and you will have the options you are looking for.
ran1283 likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #22843 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a way to get the ATV to force all HDR playback to reg HDR10? I.e. all DV content would also play back in HDR10?

I know I could set the "global" video output to "HDR" but I'd rather not do that. I think the SDR content generally looks better in SDR mode.

post #22844 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6116
Quote:
Is there a way to get the ATV to force all HDR playback to reg HDR10? I.e. all DV content would also play back in HDR10?

I know I could set the "global" video output to "HDR" but I'd rather not do that. I think the SDR content generally looks better in SDR mode.

Connect to an HDR10 only TV. Otherwise unless you have something in between that doesn’t support DV you’ll have to force everything in HDR10.
post #22845 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually just thought of something ... maybe someone with more experience can confirm ...

I believe the DV spec only supports 24hz and 30hz (every device I've seen or read about is forced into those frame rates when playing/processing DV).

If I set the ATV global to 4K/SDR/60hz mode, turn on Match Dynamic Range but turn off Match Frame Rate - will the DV HDR content now be played in HDR10 mode?

post #22846 of 24986 Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
For those who own both the real 4k media and Itunes soft copies:
Do you find a large difference in the sound between the lossless and lossy soundtracks?
post #22847 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Do you find a large difference in the sound between the lossless and lossy soundtracks?
I have a handful of UHD discs. I have compared them but the hassle of discs may have biased my perceptions. Testing Avengers Infinity War using UHD disc and Vudu 4K I could not find enough difference to make using the discs worth while.

I think your best plan is to do a comparison yourself ... If you don't have 4K discs compare a Blu Ray to HD iTunes copy

Lossless does sound better. Just maybe not significantly better.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-29-2019 at 02:56 AM.
post #22848 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I wouldn't call it a "huge" difference, but definitely discernible. With highly dynamic soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan and Ready Player One, the lossless audio is just more enveloping and "hitting." With dramas and comedies, it's not as noticeable, other than usually having to turn the volume up a few Dbs.
post #22849 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

A1E and Marantz sr7012= No sync issues
sdg4vfx likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #22850 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Actually just thought of something ... maybe someone with more experience can confirm ...

I believe the DV spec only supports 24hz and 30hz (every device I've seen or read about is forced into those frame rates when playing/processing DV).

If I set the ATV global to 4K/SDR/60hz mode, turn on Match Dynamic Range but turn off Match Frame Rate - will the DV HDR content now be played in HDR10 mode?
The ATV4K supports Dolby Vision at 60hz or lower. Some display devices and AVR's (depending on when they were manufactured, and/or the strength of the onboard processor), will only playback Dolby Vision at 30hz max. The typical playback frame rate for a movie - (disc or streaming) - will be 24hz, and streaming TV shows will generally be 30hz; so if your display device is Dolby Vision capable, you shouldn't have any issues playing back almost all DV content, with only a couple of titles out there being exceptions.

However, if you want to force full time HDR10 content playback, you need to set the ATV4K Home Screen to HDR10.
EDIT: And turn OFF range matching.

Remind me again: why you are wanting to disable Dolby Vision?
sdg4vfx likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-29-2019 at 06:56 AM.
post #22851 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I just tried these settings using Altered Carbon on Netflix as an example. It works. I know there are some folks who have been looking for a way to output HDR10 only. Yours is the first option that seems to work, at least on my setup. I suppose there may be some differences in results depending on the hardware in one's system.

Those who may prefer HDR10 will get the occasional flabbergasted response from some AVS posters, though. Just be prepared.

DolbyVision on my previous TV didn't look the best, so I opted for HDR10 whenever I could. My current Sony 950G, however, handles DolbyVision much better, so I use it most of the time.
sdg4vfx likes this.

Last edited by LDBetaGuy; 05-29-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #22852 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1594
Quote:

I believe the DV spec only supports 24hz and 30hz[
The Dolby DoVi specification supports all common frame rates. The general idea is you have X bandwidth (the examples range from 20-130 Mbps) which supports various combinations of frame rate and resolution. The ATV4K supports a sub-set of the combinations including 50 and 60 fps.
sdg4vfx likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #22853 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I just tried these settings using Altered Carbon on Netflix as an example. It works.
I wouldn't depend on this being a reliable or long-term solution. The more robust approach (as implied earlier) is to get an E-DID manager that removes DoVi and put it (immediately) downstream of the ATV.
giomania, Ph8te, sdg4vfx and 1 others like this.

post #22854 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I wouldn't call it a "huge" difference, but definitely discernible. With highly dynamic soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan and Ready Player One, the lossless audio is just more enveloping and "hitting." With dramas and comedies, it's not as noticeable, other than usually having to turn the volume up a few Dbs.
Very similar experience on my system (Bluray/ATV, 5.1). I also notice the difference maybe a bit more in the surround channels.

post #22855 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
A1E and Marantz sr7012= No sync issues

post #22856 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Yes
sdg4vfx likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #22857 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to all for the (more informed) responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
The ATV4K supports Dolby Vision at 60hz or lower. Some display devices and AVR's (depending on when they were manufactured, and/or the strength of the onboard processor), will only playback Dolby Vision at 30hz max ...

... Remind me again: why you are wanting to disable Dolby Vision?
Dolby Vision keeps showing up as a variable/problem as I'm sorting out the ATV sync issue. In an ideal world I'd like to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I wouldn't depend on this being a reliable or long-term solution. The more robust approach (as implied earlier) is to get an E-DID manager that removes DoVi and put it (immediately) downstream of the ATV.
Kind of leads me to my next question ...

I have a 4K display (LG E6) and the ATV4K but an older (HDMI 1.4) Denon AVR. I'm hoping to wait to upgrade my AVR until HDMI 2.1 units come out. While I'm willing to wait for Atmos, the current issue is that the AVR won't accept/process a 4K or HDR video signal. My UHD BluRay player has a second HDMI out so getting 4K/HDR picture with my current setup isn't a problem (separate HDMI outs to the TV and AVR).

For the ATV4K I'm looking for an HDMI splitter that can output two different signals (4K/HDR for the TV and 1080 for the AVR) at the same time. The one's I've tried so far don't work - they will only send the same signal on both outs (if the switcher senses a 1080 device both signals are scaled down, or, if both signals are 4K/HDR the AVR chokes).

Is anyone using, or know of, a specific HDMI device that can do this?

post #22858 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Do you mind sharing which app you use to aid with adjusting audio-sync?

Also curious which test clips you use and what method you use to play them on the ATV.

Thanks!

The app is called Synchronism. They provide links to download some test clips. If i recall i used some similar clips i had already downloaded from a hw vendor’s avsync site. These played back better on my Panasonic UB420 4K blu-ray and Apple TV. I used infuse to play on the appletv 4K.

The app is awesome, it uses the mic and camera to measure the plip sound and white flash frame offset. I think it worked on an ipad as well as my iphone and was more radable on the bigger screen.

Regards, Rob.
giomania and sdg4vfx like this.

Last edited by RobScreene; 06-01-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #22859 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobScreene View Post
The app is called Synchronism. They provide links to download some test clips. If i recall i used some similar clips i had already downloaded from a hw vendor’s avsync site. These played back better on my Panasonic UB420 4K blu-ray and Apple TV. I used infuse to play on the appletv 4K.

The app is awesome, it uses the mic and camera to measure the plib and white flash frame offset. I think it worked on an ipad as well as my iphone and was more radable on the bigger screen.

Regards, Rob.
Great resources - thanks!

post #22860 of 24986 Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is anyone using, or know of, a specific HDMI device that can do this?
[HDFury] makes a various products specifically for this purpose. Video processors have a [dedicated AVS section].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page