Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 763 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28703Likes

post #22861 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I wouldn't call it a "huge" difference, but definitely discernible. With highly dynamic soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan and Ready Player One, the lossless audio is just more enveloping and "hitting." With dramas and comedies, it's not as noticeable, other than usually having to turn the volume up a few Dbs.
In my experience there is a huge difference between lossy and lossless Atmos - night and day. Your mileage will depend on the AV setup you have.
galonzo, talldrink67 and Salty01 like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22862 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
For those who own both the real 4k media and Itunes soft copies:
Do you find a large difference in the sound between the lossless and lossy soundtracks?
i think it all depends one's system and ears.

i'm a long time audiophile whose ears aren't as sensitive as they used to be due to age and an accident, yet to me, there is a significant difference between lossless and lossy soundtracks so that i am always choosing between better audio (physical Blu Ray disc) and better video (4k HDR). the lossless soundtrack is more immersive and more transparent, for lack of better description.

i hope to remedy this compromise of both buying a 4k player later this year (hoping the price of the Sony x800m2 drops a little in the coming months).

but in the end, it's going to depend on one's ears and equipment. i think the latter is pretty important as i have had many people really blown away by the sound of my setup even though it doesn't support Atmos. (7.1 system with Magnepan front channels, REL sub that is flat to 16hz, and remaining channels are Gallo speakers)
galonzo, sdg4vfx, blenky and 2 others like this.
post #22863 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Different hardware combinations and beyond that different settings ... there's a slew of variables.

So here's two specific jump-off questions. In this context an "audio-sync problem" means sync values that change with different video/audio formats. (A single consistent sync offset value is not considered a "problem".)

1. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > 2016 LG OLED C6/E6 (those two models have same panel and proc). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using?

2. Setup: ATV4K > AVR > Sony OLED A9F (or A8F). Is there anyone who has no audio-sync problems? If so which AVR are you using? (Curious if the Sony OLEDs have less sync issues than the LG OLEDs?)

In regards to this , has there been anyone who has found an appropriate audio delay setting to use? I have the ATV4K > Denon AVR X4300H > 2016 LG OLED C6.
It is very noticeable when watching anything in DV.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22864 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
[HDFury] makes a various products specifically for this purpose. Video processors have a [dedicated AVS section].
Thanks for the info. Looked at the hdfury website - great products. They have exactly what I would need but those units are around $300. I could get a basic 5.2 AVR (w 4K/HDR) for less than that and it could cover me until the new HDMI 2.1 AVRs are available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #22865 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink67 View Post
In regards to this , has there been anyone who has found an appropriate audio delay setting to use? I have the ATV4K > Denon AVR X4300H > 2016 LG OLED C6.
It is very noticeable when watching anything in DV.

Thanks
ATV4K > Denon 1713 > 2016 LG OLED E6.
For 24hz material I've found a 126ms delay to work well. That number seems to also work for any 60i (or 30i) content the TV can reverse-telecine back to 24hz (I have RC turned on). Luckily 90% of what I watch is this category.
For all other 30hz and 60hz (p or i) it's a total crap shoot and I haven't figured out a consistent pattern yet. For my viewing habits that is mostly sports content, Youtube, etc.

Notable exceptions ... some Amazon Prime content is off, and the Showtime app content is often off. For all the other apps the 24hz/126ms delay works consistently.

One other thing I did that improved consistency - for me - was to turn off all the TV features/effects that were AI or analysis based - i.e. energy saving, "smart" scaling or sharpening, edge enhancement, etc. Good luck.
talldrink67 likes this.

post #22866 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I have a handful of UHD discs. I have compared them but the hassle of discs may have biased my perceptions. Testing Avengers Infinity War using UHD disc and Vudu 4K I could not find enough difference to make using the discs worth while.

I think your best plan is to do a comparison yourself ... If you don't have 4K discs compare a Blu Ray to HD iTunes copy

Lossless does sound better. Just maybe not significantly better.
How much is the UHD disc vs. the Vudu download?

Is the Vudu version Atmos?
post #22867 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
How much is the UHD disc vs. the Vudu download?

Is the Vudu version Atmos?
UHD disc costs vary. The ones I have were purchased on Black Friday on sale

The Vudu version of Avengers Infinity Wars has Atmos

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #22868 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i think it all depends one's system and ears.

i'm a long time audiophile whose ears aren't as sensitive as they used to be due to age and an accident, yet to me, there is a significant difference between lossless and lossy soundtracks so that i am always choosing between better audio (physical Blu Ray disc) and better video (4k HDR). the lossless soundtrack is more immersive and more transparent, for lack of better description.

i hope to remedy this compromise of both buying a 4k player later this year (hoping the price of the Sony x800m2 drops a little in the coming months).

but in the end, it's going to depend on one's ears and equipment. i think the latter is pretty important as i have had many people really blown away by the sound of my setup even though it doesn't support Atmos. (7.1 system with Magnepan front channels, REL sub that is flat to 16hz, and remaining channels are Gallo speakers)
Derek87 - I think your post is spot on (btw - stellar HiFi equipment you have - congrats). While the source (compressed vs. lossless, UHD disc vs. streaming) DOES make a difference, I believe the destination plays even a bigger role in the total HT immersion.

For instance, I was killing some time in Stockholm stad a while ago and decided to A-vs-B demo a pair of Von Schweikert Audio speakers @ a dealer vs. a more modest pair of JM Labs/Focal (test songs were by Diana Krall and Antonio Vivaldi, some pieces that I was very familiar with); I can't remember what amplification, cabling was being used, but I do recall that the Von Schweikert speakers alone costed more than a 5,000 m2 mansion + a brand new Porsche 911 (that's for L and R only)! With the Von Schweikert speakers, I was able to discern nuances that I simply couldn't notice before (heard instruments that weren't EVER present ), even with the 'lowly' JM Labs...there wasn't just a significant difference between the two sets of speakers, there was the Grand Canyon itself separating them. While the experience was awe inspiring, I decided to run away to keep my sanity...I walked away feeling that I just experienced the Bugatti Chiron, and came down to earth by driving home a Skoda.

Any-who, the point is, we try to squeeze the most out of the video processing, DV @ 50 Hz this, HDR10+ that, so let's not forget that audio plays an equally significant role in the total movie enjoyment. Yep, I am aware that it was a long winded way in saying that I absolutely prefer physical discs over streaming whenever possible...and in a streaming vs. disc audio test, objectively speaking, the discs should win every single time. Nevertheless, compared to the demo above, my humble HT system would be considered a bare bones 'stereo in a box/boom box'. Whatever media one would play through the Von Schweikert setup, it would disintegrate anything you most likely have heard.

With all that jabber, I think we all agree that, in today's digital streaming world, audio quality remains secondary to video. And in my simplistic view, Dolby Atmos represents an increase in quantity of speakers, not necessarily in quality...really wished that Apple would have implemented an ATV4k w/ dual HDMI output and pass through unmolested bitstream audio, akin to the Oppo 203 (provided that Netflix, MA, Vudu, Prime would support such audio).
Derek87, blenky and talldrink67 like this.
post #22869 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
UHD disc costs vary. The ones I have were purchased on Black Friday on sale

The Vudu version of Avengers Infinity Wars has Atmos

Ah OK, I see you can rent but you can't rent UHD for many titles. So the UHD version is $25 to buy and that gives you perpetual rights to stream?

They still charge $25 for Age of Ultron, which is like a few Avengers ago.

I like the convenience of not dealing with discs but the pricing isn't too attractive. Hmm, but the UHD BD is $35 at BB?

That's a reason why UHD BD isn't catching on that widely. Two year old movie at full price still.
post #22870 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Ah OK, I see you can rent but you can't rent UHD for many titles. So the UHD version is $25 to buy and that gives you perpetual rights to stream?

I like the convenience of not dealing with discs but the pricing isn't too attractive. Hmm, but the UHD BD is $35 at BB?

That's a reason why UHD BD isn't catching on that widely. Two year old movie at full price still.
Yeah UHD discs have been a challenge. With wider adoption of streaming and ability to buy and rent 4K movies from Apple, Vudu, Amazon, etc. as well as cheap digital codes I find I only buy physical media now for UHD movies I truly want the best visual and audio experience for movies I have high confidence in, 2001, Dark Knight Trilogy Fifth Element, Interstellar, Oblivion, etc. then I rip them to my NAS and stream from my Oppo 203 or nVidia Shield.

I get the cost to create media, but the price points for older movies are crazy and they have already made their money on the content, they clearly only want the die hard enthusiasts.
sdg4vfx and sonoftumble like this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #22871 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6440 Post(s)
Liked: 6108
Quote:

You’re selecting a Disney movie which tend to be 5-10$ higher anyways. You can get them on sale regularly for $25 or below for the disc. The age really has nothing related as it’s still a more recent release for UHDBR and again it’s Disney which carries its own premium. The bonus is that many come with a digital code so you get both for the price of “one”.

Catalog titles from others can be had “new” for $15-20 usually and sometimes even lower during Black Friday. New titles range usually from 20-30 depending on a few factors.

You can rent UHD on ITunes (it gives you the highest available when you rent) (remember no Disney as of yet). With the prices of secondary market codes IMO renting isn’t worth it.
post #22872 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Thanks mates
I have a fairly decent setup but I’m also running out of storage.. so the streaming option is pretty attractive..
I wish they offer a lossless option- I’m using a 1gb fiber line so it should work... cheers
post #22873 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
... With wider adoption of streaming and ability to buy and rent 4K movies from Apple, Vudu, Amazon, etc. as well as cheap digital codes I find I only buy physical media now for UHD movies I truly want the best visual and audio experience for movies I have high confidence in, 2001, Dark Knight Trilogy Fifth Element, Interstellar, Oblivion ...
That's where I've ended up also - I only buy physical media of movies I think will benefit from it. Happy to stream the latest Seth Rogan movie
talldrink67 likes this.

post #22874 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6440 Post(s)
Liked: 6108
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Thanks mates

I have a fairly decent setup but I’m also running out of storage.. so the streaming option is pretty attractive..

I wish they offer a lossless option- I’m using a 1gb fiber line so it should work... cheers

Storage is “cheap” to upgrade comparatively I know I’m already looking to split off my tv to a 2x10TB NAS. I’d still take my rips over streaming, unless I wanted DV. There are a number of movies I own that are not available on disc however or I just don’t feel like buying yet, so digital does have its bonuses.
post #22875 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
So why do it keep Frame Ratch Match turned off and force everything to output at 60 Hz? Two reasons. First, I found that native HD (but not 4K) SDR content that the ATV4K output at 24 Hz, regardless of the underlying app, would exhibit a weird phenomenon in certain scenes. Patches of dark, near-black pixels in the scene would rapidly flicker or pulse, even if the scene was paused. It was very annoying and hard on my eyes when watching in a darkened room. This didn't happen with native 4K (whether SDR, DV or HDR10) content output at its native 24Hz. And it doesn't happen with HD content output at 60 Hz. (Actually, the flickering may still be there at 60 Hz but it's so much more rapid at 60 Hz vs 24 Hz that I don't really perceive it.) I thought maybe I had a defective ATV4K, so had the box replaced, but the second one did the same thing. I think it's just a weird thing that happens between the ATV4K and this specific model TV (maybe all 2016 LG OLEDs). This kind of near-black flickering never happens using the TV's internal apps when they stream content at its native 24 Hz.
I have a Sony 40" 1080p TV (KDL40W600B) that supports 24p and an Apple TV 4k and I as well experience a faint flickering when my Apple TV 4k is sending a 24p signal to my TV. I notice it easily on 4:3 content where the black bars are and I notice it more when the room is dark. I also notice it easily when the screen is black at 24p from my Apple TV 4k. I don't think I have a defective Apple TV 4k as I've exchanged it before and it had the same issue. My Intel NUC does not exhibit this flicker issue when sending a 24p output signal to my TV. I found sort of a workaround to this issue but it may not work for you. I lowered the brightness of my TV down one notch and now I hardly notice the flicker at 24p from my Apple TV 4k even in a dark room but the image then is slightly darker than I want it. I doubt something is wrong with my TV since I did not experience this flicker issue with other devices outputting a 24p signal to my TV. Could it be a timing mismatch of the 24p signal between my TV and Apple TV 4k when my TV is receiving a 24p signal from it or could it be that my TV is actually outputting 23.976 Hz refresh rate and not a multiple of it such as 47.952 Hz or 119.88 Hz? My TV has a 60Hz refresh rate screen but I wonder if it internally does 2:2 and 1:1 pulldown when receiving a 24p signal and when using the Apple TV 4k at 24p it might be doing a 1:1 pulldown resulting in the easily noticeable flickering in black screens and in the vertical black bars of 4:3 content.

Last edited by Dave3000; 05-29-2019 at 10:28 PM.
post #22876 of 24945 Old 05-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Question, I have an apple tv 4 gen which works fine and want to move it to another room. Would i benefit from getting the AppleTV4k just because it supports Atmos? I would love to stream netflix movies and get atmos, but i dont have a 4k tv yet. Would i at least still get the sound?( of course i would have to upgrade o the premium netflix)

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #22877 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
Question, I have an apple tv 4 gen which works fine and want to move it to another room. Would i benefit from getting the AppleTV4k just because it supports Atmos? I would love to stream netflix movies and get atmos, but i dont have a 4k tv yet. Would i at least still get the sound?( of course i would have to upgrade o the premium netflix)
If i recall from when I tried that with my old Plasma (but new AVR), Atmos worked once or twice but not consisitently. I think it might requie an HDMI handshake with a 4k tv.
post #22878 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Local storage

Surfing on iTunes and local storage just has me going round & round til I'm dizzy, or at least it seems the only way to consolidate movies is to have a PC with iTunes on it and then (maybe) do Home Sharing from it. Is there a way to assert a local NAS device as the storage location for "iTunes" downloads that the ATV can use? I have never said Yes to the "Download Now?" dialog one gets after purchasing a movie, because it seems it would only dl to the device I'm using at the time of purchase i.e. iPad or iPhone or...ATV4K?
post #22879 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
If i recall from when I tried that with my old Plasma (but new AVR), Atmos worked once or twice but not consisitently. I think it might requie an HDMI handshake with a 4k tv.
ATMOS has nothing to do with a handshake from a 4K TV there are plenty of ATMOS enabled BD's out there.
However ATMOS without a more complete audio system with multiple speakers gains you very little and IMNSHO isn't worth it if you're just talking TV or soundbar audio.
galonzo likes this.
post #22880 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
ATV4K > Denon 1713 > 2016 LG OLED E6.
For 24hz material I've found a 126ms delay to work well. That number seems to also work for any 60i (or 30i) content the TV can reverse-telecine back to 24hz (I have RC turned on). Luckily 90% of what I watch is this category.
For all other 30hz and 60hz (p or i) it's a total crap shoot and I haven't figured out a consistent pattern yet. For my viewing habits that is mostly sports content, Youtube, etc.

Notable exceptions ... some Amazon Prime content is off, and the Showtime app content is often off. For all the other apps the 24hz/126ms delay works consistently.

One other thing I did that improved consistency - for me - was to turn off all the TV features/effects that were AI or analysis based - i.e. energy saving, "smart" scaling or sharpening, edge enhancement, etc. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I set the delay to 126ms and the audio sync seems to be pretty spot on for DV, HDR, and even regular SDR content. I would not want to go into the settings on my Denon to switch everytime if I am watching something in SDR vs HDR/DV.

Also a side note, I updated the ATV beta software to the latest release and it seems to have fixed the pulsating white flash issue with DV/HDR titles.
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #22881 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
I have a Sony 40" 1080p TV (KDL40W600B) that supports 24p and an Apple TV 4k and I as well experience a faint flickering when my Apple TV 4k is sending a 24p signal to my TV. I notice it easily on 4:3 content where the black bars are and I notice it more when the room is dark. I also notice it easily when the screen is black at 24p from my Apple TV 4k. I don't think I have a defective Apple TV 4k as I've exchanged it before and it had the same issue. My Intel NUC does not exhibit this flicker issue when sending a 24p output signal to my TV. I found sort of a workaround to this issue but it may not work for you. I lowered the brightness of my TV down one notch and now I hardly notice the flicker at 24p from my Apple TV 4k even in a dark room but the image then is slightly darker than I want it. I doubt something is wrong with my TV since I did not experience this flicker issue with other devices outputting a 24p signal to my TV. Could it be a timing mismatch of the 24p signal between my TV and Apple TV 4k when my TV is receiving a 24p signal from it or could it be that my TV is actually outputting 23.976 Hz refresh rate and not a multiple of it such as 47.952 Hz or 119.88 Hz? My TV has a 60Hz refresh rate screen but I wonder if it internally does 2:2 and 1:1 pulldown when receiving a 24p signal and when using the Apple TV 4k at 24p it might be doing a 1:1 pulldown resulting in the easily noticeable flickering in black screens and in the vertical black bars of 4:3 content.
Your model TV (KDL40W600B) uses an Edge Lit backlight with frame dimming. I'm 99.9% certain that the flicker is coming from the backlight. If there is a setting to turn off that auto dimming feature, or maybe an auto ambient light setting, it should help. Turning down the brightness basically turns down the black level - which you don't want to do.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #22882 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

For Netflix yes it will work fine assuming your AVR supports Apple's Atmos implementation. I do it all the time and I still have a Panasonic plasma. However for Jack Ryan for instance which is Amazon's one Atmos title it won't even play in 5.1. I think the Amazon app is tying better sound to a 4k stream unfortunately. Also fwiw Atmos titles from iTunes also work without a 4k device.

My x800 disc player used to play Jack Ryan in Atmos when it first came out but now only does it in 5.1. So I really don't know what Amazon is doing. I even saw Inconsistency in the last season of Grand tour. Randomly one episode insisted on playing in stereo instead of surround and I had to go watch it on my disc player instead.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
galonzo and sdg4vfx like this.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #22883 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Your model TV (KDL40W600B) uses an Edge Lit backlight with frame dimming. I'm 99.9% certain that the flicker is coming from the backlight. If there is a setting to turn off that auto dimming feature, or maybe an auto ambient light setting, it should help. Turning down the brightness basically turns down the black level - which you don't want to do.

I get flickering in near dark scenes on my oled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22884 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
I get flickering in near dark scenes on my oled.

Try changing the output on the ATV4K to 60Hz (with Frame Rate Matching turned off) and see if that removes the flickering. It does on my OLED.
Andrew Stirling likes this.
post #22885 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1591
Quote:
`I would love to stream netflix movies and get atmos, but i dont have a 4k tv yet.
As noted this is probably unpredictable. As I recall Netflix, unlike Amazon, doesn't require a 4K EDID to enable Atmos audio. While I wouldn't expect Netflix to change they might. This issue is mentioned in the first post in this thread.
galonzo and brotony like this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #22886 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1591
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Looked at the hdfury website - great products. They have exactly what I would need but those units are around $300.
Perhaps you stopped scrolling too soon. The Integral is $100.
galonzo likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #22887 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
ATMOS has nothing to do with a handshake from a 4K TV there are plenty of ATMOS enabled BD's out there.
However ATMOS without a more complete audio system with multiple speakers gains you very little and IMNSHO isn't worth it if you're just talking TV or soundbar audio.
Yes I have a full and complete 5.2.4 atmos system that sounds awesome with blu rays. Just wanted it with my streams too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
For Netflix yes it will work fine assuming your AVR supports Apple's Atmos implementation. I do it all the time and I still have a Panasonic plasma. However for Jack Ryan for instance which is Amazon's one Atmos title it won't even play in 5.1. I think the Amazon app is tying better sound to a 4k stream unfortunately. Also fwiw Atmos titles from iTunes also work without a 4k device.

My x800 disc player used to play Jack Ryan in Atmos when it first came out but now only does it in 5.1. So I really don't know what Amazon is doing. I even saw Inconsistency in the last season of Grand tour. Randomly one episode insisted on playing in stereo instead of surround and I had to go watch it on my disc player instead.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
Awesome. Gonna go get the ATV4k right now. Can’t wait. Thanks everyone.

Samsung 3D UN65H7150;Yamaha RX-A2070 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS-X
Def Tech L&R Promonitor 1000 Procenter 2000 Promonitor 800 ceilings & surrounds
SVS PC12 Plus-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray;Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony Elite;PlayStation 4
AC Infinity Aircom T8;MediaLight Quad Bias Light
post #22888 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Thanks to all for the (more informed) responses.

Dolby Vision keeps showing up as a variable/problem as I'm sorting out the ATV sync issue. In an ideal world I'd like to keep it.

Kind of leads me to my next question ...

I have a 4K display (LG E6) and the ATV4K but an older (HDMI 1.4) Denon AVR. I'm hoping to wait to upgrade my AVR until HDMI 2.1 units come out. While I'm willing to wait for Atmos, the current issue is that the AVR won't accept/process a 4K or HDR video signal. My UHD BluRay player has a second HDMI out so getting 4K/HDR picture with my current setup isn't a problem (separate HDMI outs to the TV and AVR).

For the ATV4K I'm looking for an HDMI splitter that can output two different signals (4K/HDR for the TV and 1080 for the AVR) at the same time. The one's I've tried so far don't work - they will only send the same signal on both outs (if the switcher senses a 1080 device both signals are scaled down, or, if both signals are 4K/HDR the AVR chokes).

Is anyone using, or know of, a specific HDMI device that can do this?
I'm in the same boat as you...I have a seriously legacy AVR that still provides SPECTACULAR 7.1 surround + an up-to-date LLDV/HDR display panel. The HDFury Vertex 2 should fit your needs, and will ensure future proofing as much as possible.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-vertex2-18gbps/

I've pre-ordered mine and eagerly awaiting its arrival!
post #22889 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
Try changing the output on the ATV4K to 60Hz (with Frame Rate Matching turned off) and see if that removes the flickering. It does on my OLED.

Yeah it does but I can’t live with pulldown judder. If I put noise reduction on low it does enough to reduce it to the unnoticeable level.

galonzo likes this.
post #22890 of 24945 Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Yeah UHD discs have been a challenge. With wider adoption of streaming and ability to buy and rent 4K movies from Apple, Vudu, Amazon, etc. as well as cheap digital codes I find I only buy physical media now for UHD movies I truly want the best visual and audio experience for movies I have high confidence in, 2001, Dark Knight Trilogy Fifth Element, Interstellar, Oblivion, etc. then I rip them to my NAS and stream from my Oppo 203 or nVidia Shield.

I get the cost to create media, but the price points for older movies are crazy and they have already made their money on the content, they clearly only want the die hard enthusiasts.
Where does one find these codes and is there a specific forum about them?

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page