Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 786 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28690Likes

post #23551 of 24936 Old 07-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley141 View Post
I can only attest to that forcing SDR eliminates the iTunes HDR/DV movies content flickering in the TV app issue. SDR content in the TV app is the only content that works for me regardless of setting, so I can’t speak to that particular issue.

Curious...what tvOS are you running? 12.3? Or one of the betas?
I am not on a beta, but the current version.

If I leave frame rate matching on there is dark scene flickering/flashing in itunes SDR content and Netflix SDR content.

I have had no issues with hdr content.

What a complete mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23552 of 24936 Old 07-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
What a complete mess.

You can say that again! The new digital future.

Please report to Apple via their official channels if you haven’t done so already.

1 (800) MYAPPLE
post #23553 of 24936 Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
I am not on a beta, but the current version.

If I leave frame rate matching on there is dark scene flickering/flashing in itunes SDR content and Netflix SDR content.

I have had no issues with hdr content.

What a complete mess.
Are you getting this issue as well with 1080p SDR content with frame rate matching enabled? Also is your TV have a native 120 Hz refresh rate screen or is it a native 60 Hz refresh rate screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23554 of 24936 Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
I’m having Dolby Vision handshaking issue with Netflix and my C9 OLED. Sometimes DV doesn’t active. Has anyone experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #23555 of 24936 Old 07-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having some annoying issues with Apple TV 4K...The picture keeps going to black randomly and gets worse and actually loses connection as the movie I'm watching progresses.
Here is my hardware situation:
Apple TV 4K connected to Denon AVR-S930H connected to Sony A1E Oled
Have switched out HDMI cables many times (now using the recommended Belkin cable from Apple)
When I connect the Apple TV to the TV directly, no problems occur.
Has anyone had issues with Apple TV 4K and Denon receivers?
post #23556 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdcam View Post
Yes,

Someone may have the link to a page Denon put up with tips but a few I can remember...

Turn on HDMI Enhanced on the AVR.

Put the ATV input closest to the HDMI output on the AVR

There's another one about turning off image processing buy my Denon AVR doesn't have that option.

I'll try to find the link.

-Brian
mjwagner likes this.
post #23557 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Having some annoying issues with Apple TV 4K...The picture keeps going to black randomly and gets worse and actually loses connection as the movie I'm watching progresses.
Have switched out HDMI cables many times (now using the recommended Belkin cable from Apple)
No problems here using Denon AVR-X6500H with ATV4K.
galonzo likes this.
post #23558 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
No problems here using Denon AVR-X6500H with ATV4K.
When you connect directly to the TV do you use the same Belkin HDMI cable? If so and it works then you have isolated the problem to your AVR. BTW, I don't care if Apple recommends it or not, I am not a fan of Belkin anything. That said, if it is a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable it should be fine...even if it is Belkin... If not just do yourself a favor and get a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable from Amazon. You don't have to spend a lot. You can get Monoprice "certified Premium" HDMI cables in 6' length on Amazon for $7.
galonzo likes this.

Mark
post #23559 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
When you connect directly to the TV do you use the same Belkin HDMI cable? If so and it works then you have isolated the problem to your AVR. BTW, I don't care if Apple recommends it or not, I am not a fan of Belkin anything. That said, if it is a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable it should be fine...even if it is Belkin... If not just do yourself a favor and get a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable from Amazon. You don't have to spend a lot. You can get Monoprice "certified Premium" HDMI cables in 6' length on Amazon for $7.
I use the 2m Belkin HDMI cable capable of 48 Gbps - for just my Apple TV 4K's. I have one upstairs and one downstairs in the home theater. Other than the ATV requirements, I use Monoprice Certified Premium cables exclusively now with my other equipment - inexpensive, different lengths and they work exceedingly well.
cydeweyz likes this.
post #23560 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
Are you getting this issue as well with 1080p SDR content with frame rate matching enabled? Also is your TV have a native 120 Hz refresh rate screen or is it a native 60 Hz refresh rate screen?
I have 2 x Apple TV 4k’s attached to a LG OLED E8 and Sony AF9.
Same issue with both TV’s regardless of TV motion settings.

Yes getting issue with 1080 SDR and HDR.
Turning frame rate off fixes it on iTunes Movies and improves it on Netflix Movies.
post #23561 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use the 2m Belkin HDMI cable capable of 48 Gbps - for just my Apple TV 4K's. I have one upstairs and one downstairs in the home theater. Other than the ATV requirements, I use Monoprice Certified Premium cables exclusively now with my other equipment - inexpensive, different lengths and they work exceedingly well.
No worries. Like I said, it is a personal opinion for me about Belkin. Been burned a few times by Belkin stuff and it cost me hours of trouble shooting, won't ever use anything with the Belkin name on it again. But that's just me.
ggw2000, galonzo and Salty01 like this.

Mark
post #23562 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6434 Post(s)
Liked: 6104
Quote:

I have mine connected to a 930H but to a B7, have not had and handshake issues and the “black screen” only happens when it should. I’m using all Monoprice certified cables.
galonzo likes this.
post #23563 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
I would take that rating with a grain of salt. If you want particulars head over to:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...nnector-world/
mjwagner, galonzo and Salty01 like this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #23564 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I would take that rating with a grain of salt. If you want particulars head over to:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...nnector-world/

The Belkin cable Apple is currently recommending for the Apple TV 4K is an HDMI 2.1 cable. You will start seeing those speeds on a lot of newer cables.

Until we have HDMI 2.1 devices on the market we won’t really know how well the cable is actually performing except that it should work and satisfy HDMI 2.1 bandwidth requirements. For HDMI 2.0 it will be fine unless of course it’s damaged.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV C41W | Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung UN32EH4003 | AppleTV 4th Gen | DirecTV C41W
post #23565 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.1 cable. Period. Once testing is done on the cables they will be marketed, officially, as Ultra High Speed HDMI (48Gbps) cables to distinguish them from the Premium High Speed HDMI (18Gbps) cables.

The Belkin 48Gbps cable, while it may be a well made cable, is all smoke and mirrors as far as HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps). Belkin started selling that cable before the final ratification of HDMI 2.1 and before the final designs were sent to the chip makers. There was no way that Belkin could have adequately certified that cable for HDMI 2.1 because one, the new test equipment was still being designed and two, there were no consumer devices capable of meeting the HDMI 2.1 specifications. At this point in time, you can't do any better than Premium High Speed HDMI cables if your run is under about 20'. I used Premium High Speed HDMI cables (from BJC) with my ATV4k and 65 C8 and I had zero issues with 4k HDR (Dolby Vision and HDR10). I am currently testing the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables on my system and the performance is the same as the passive Premium High Speed cables. I will also be testing the Ruipro8k (48Gbps) cables once they are ready.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #23566 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.1 cable. Period. Once testing is done on the cables they will be marketed, officially, as Ultra High Speed HDMI (48Gbps) cables to distinguish them from the Premium High Speed HDMI (18Gbps) cables.

The Belkin 48Gbps cable, while it may be a well made cable, is all smoke and mirrors as far as HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps). Belkin started selling that cable before the final ratification of HDMI 2.1 and before the final designs were sent to the chip makers. There was no way that Belkin could have adequately certified that cable for HDMI 2.1 because one, the new test equipment was still being designed and two, there were no consumer devices capable of meeting the HDMI 2.1 specifications. At this point in time, you can't do any better than Premium High Speed HDMI cables if your run is under about 20'. I used Premium High Speed HDMI cables (from BJC) with my ATV4k and 65 C8 and I had zero issues with 4k HDR (Dolby Vision and HDR10). I am currently testing the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables on my system and the performance is the same as the passive Premium High Speed cables. I will also be testing the Ruipro8k (48Gbps) cables once they are ready.
With HDMI 2.1 around the corner, we should get used to seeing that speed advertised. They technically market it as ultra high speed hdmi with bandwidth up to 48Gbps. Key word being up to. Anyways, the person using that cable wasn’t complaining about it, in fact they stated that their setup worked and someone asked them what cable they were using. You can call it smoke and mirrors but that isn’t really definitive more than it being an opinion that it can’t reach the speeds it says it can. It also isn’t a very long cable. I don’t own that cable, however if I did and there were HDMI 2.1 devices on the market, I would expect that it would work as would any reasonable consumer.

Samsung UN55KS8000 | Denon AVR-X4500H | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV HR54 + 4K RVU | Samsung UBD-M8500
Samsung UN55HU8550 + SEK-4500/ZA | Samsung Soundbar HW-H550 | AppleTV 4K | DirecTV C41W | Samsung UBD-K8500

Last edited by musicman0725; 07-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #23567 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Since you've already isolated the issue to only happening when you connect through your receiver, have you also switched out the cable from the receiver to the TV? Also, is enhanced mode enabled on your receiver for the input that you are connecting into?

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS930H/NA...SYzvebvotm.php
galonzo and Musician like this.

post #23568 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman0725 View Post
With HDMI 2.1 around the corner, we should get used to seeing that speed advertised. They technically market it as ultra high speed hdmi with bandwidth up to 48Gbps. Key word being up to. Anyways, the person using that cable wasn’t complaining about it, in fact they stated that their setup worked and someone asked them what cable they were using. You can call it smoke and mirrors but that isn’t really definitive more than it being an opinion that it can’t reach the speeds it says it can. It also isn’t a very long cable. I don’t own that cable, however if I did and there were HDMI 2.1 devices on the market, I would expect that it would work as would any reasonable consumer.

Cable mfrs have shown in the past that they have very little regard for accuracy in their cable descriptions and marketing. Fully compliant HDMI 2.1 is going to be difficult to achieve. Just look at the issues some folks are having now with just the eARC option. You are correct with regards to "up to". But that could mean a cable that maxes out at anything above 18Gbps. And without any independent verification of that, it's all smoke and mirrors. IMO, it's nothing more than false advertising and nobody is regulating the industry. A passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cable might even work for HDMI 2.1 at lengths under 10' (the HDMI specification states 3' to 9'). But anything over that and you're just taking the mfrs slick marketing and claims at face value and that's exactly who the marketeers are targeting. Education on what's coming is the key, not blind faith on the mfrs claims.

post #23569 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Cable mfrs have shown in the past that they have very little regard for accuracy in their cable descriptions and marketing. Fully compliant HDMI 2.1 is going to be difficult to achieve. Just look at the issues some folks are having now with just the eARC option. You are correct with regards to "up to". But that could mean a cable that maxes out at anything above 18Gbps. And without any independent verification of that, it's all smoke and mirrors. IMO, it's nothing more than false advertising and nobody is regulating the industry. A passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cable might even work for HDMI 2.1 at lengths under 10' (the HDMI specification states 3' to 9'). But anything over that and you're just taking the mfrs slick marketing and claims at face value and that's exactly who the marketeers are targeting. Education on what's coming is the key, not blind faith on the mfrs claims.
Agreed and they will try to pull fast ones if they can. I would hope that if Belkin does this and Apple receives complaints about their product, that they would drop them. Right now, a rating of 48Gbps is overkill for the AppleTV 4K which is likely why apple recommends this product.

post #23570 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Agreed and they will try to pull fast ones if they can. I would hope that if Belkin does this and Apple receives complaints about their product, that they would drop them. Right now, a rating of 48Gbps is overkill for the AppleTV 4K which is likely why apple recommends this product.
I'm with ya. ATV4k doesn't have the chipsets to push 48Gbps as it is. If there is an ATV4k Plus or whatever down the road, maybe then. I have no issues at all streaming DV or HDR10 so I'm happy with my setup now as it is. HDMI 2.1, at this point in time, is really only for the gamers (VRR) and folks who want eARC (when it works).
musicman0725 likes this.

post #23571 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1584
Quote:
Cable mfrs have shown in the past that they have very little regard for accuracy in their cable descriptions and marketing.
Quote:
Agreed and they will try to pull fast ones if they can. I would hope that if Belkin does this and Apple receives complaints about their product, that they would drop them.
This has been discussed before. Belkin doesn't make any speed claims (or any claims/labeling that would violate the HDMI trademark), the cable isn't even marked Premium Certified:
https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10175

Apple says the cable supports 48Gbs but they don't say anything about HDMI 2.1.

If someone thinks Belkin or Apple may be in violation of their HDMI license they can be reported.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #23572 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 3684
Assistance request.

I can not seem to find any way to get rid of the following message that shows up every time I try to use our 4K AppleTV. I have searched settings of all kinds and nothing seems to work.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2587960  
post #23573 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Assistance request.

I can not seem to find any way to get rid of the following message that shows up every time I try to use our 4K AppleTV. I have searched settings of all kinds and nothing seems to work.

Thanks

Haven’t seen this before and have owned every generation of ATV. Pulling the plug has been my go to with Apple TV problems since the first gen. I assume you’ve tried that. One thing I like to change is the default setting that allows airplay from all devices nearby to local network only. Also, have you sent anything via airplay to see if the message goes away afterwards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #23574 of 24936 Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Assistance request.

Thanks

Turn off Conference Room Display.
mjwagner and beerhunt like this.
post #23575 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Got my ATV last week and I am having problems with Vudu. When I first used it, it had a 'Home' selection so I could see all the movies to pick from. Now the 'Home' selection is gone. All I see is 'Settings' 'Search' and 'My Vudu'.

I deleted the app and reinstalled it but still no 'Home' selection choice. When I used my LG oled internal app I do see that option.
Anyone else experiencing this?

LG 77" Oled C8, LG 55" C7 Oled, Yamaha RX-A780 AVR, Pioneer UDP-LX 500 4K Blu-ray, ATV4K, Roku Streaming Stick+, 7.1 Swan speakers, Polk sub.
post #23576 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
This has been discussed before. Belkin doesn't make any speed claims (or any claims/labeling that would violate the HDMI trademark), the cable isn't even marked Premium Certified:
https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10175

Apple says the cable supports 48Gbs but they don't say anything about HDMI 2.1.

If someone thinks Belkin or Apple may be in violation of their HDMI license they can be reported.
I believe that when it was originally being marketed the product description implied 48Gbps and most "assumed" that meant HDMI 2.1. They have since changed the description but of course, a lot of folks say what they wanted to see and jumped on it. A bit deceptive imo.
galonzo and musicman0725 like this.

post #23577 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Got my ATV last week and I am having problems with Vudu. When I first used it, it had a 'Home' selection so I could see all the movies to pick from. Now the 'Home' selection is gone. All I see is 'Settings' 'Search' and 'My Vudu'.

I deleted the app and reinstalled it but still no 'Home' selection choice. When I used my LG oled internal app I do see that option.
Did you go into the settings on the app and log back into your vudu account?

Mark
post #23578 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

So I almost never use VUDU on my ATV 4k (normally use my Nvidia Shield for VUDU) but I just went and looked and I don't see any category such as "Home". No idea if it was their before and they changed the interface or what since, as I sadi, I really don't use VUDU on my ATV 4k. What I see is the pic attached. If that's what you see then you are seeing the correct current VUDU interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	996.9 KB
ID:	2588116  

Mark
post #23579 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1584
Quote:
I believe that when it was originally being marketed the product description implied 48Gbps
I believe that's incorrect. As I said, this has been discussed before -- close to launch.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #23580 of 24936 Old 07-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I believe that's incorrect. As I said, this has been discussed before -- close to launch.

Belkin is still marketing their cables this way (and the cable you linked is currently being marketed this way by Apple)

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10176/

I don’t think anyone had an actual complaint about the cable, however, without any HDMI 2.1 devices we won’t know how it performs.

cydeweyz and Musician like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page