Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 801 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28719Likes

post #24001 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Monroe View Post
I find this extremely hard to believe and, if true, would be a game changer for a lot of people. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not believe the support person has a clue. If this is true, they need to update their documentation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...JJYR46RE6PLUS8
I'm with you. Their website says UHD but nothing about HDR. I did get the far-east division of tech support so maybe they don't have a clue on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24002 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphil View Post
I'm with you. Their website says UHD but nothing about HDR. I did get the far-east division of tech support so maybe they don't have a clue on this, I hope not.
It doesn't show HDR for any device. It does, however, show UHD. In addition, their app shows an HDR tag when you select content on Apple TV. They would need to change that as well.

Last edited by Frank Monroe; 08-03-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #24003 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
It doesn't show HDR for any device. It does, however, show UHD. In addition, their app shows an HDR tag when you select content on Apple TV. They would need to change that as well.
My Apple TV Amazon app does not have an HDR tag in description. only year made, rating. 5.1. and subtitles. However on my Roku it shows HDR and plays it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24004 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
My Apple TV Amazon app does not have an HDR tag in description. only year made, rating. 5.1. and subtitles. However on my Roku it shows HDR and plays it.
You won't see the HDR tag unless your device supports HDR. For example, I get the tag on my Apple TV 4K. I do not get the tag on my Apple TV HD (4th generation). Also, on Amazon, you have to specifically select the content that has UHD in the title. Amazon has to versions. One in UHD and one that isn't.
post #24005 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You won't see the HDR tag unless your device supports HDR. For example, I get the tag on my Apple TV 4K. I do not get the tag on my Apple TV HD (4th generation). Also, on Amazon, you have to specifically select the content that has UHD in the title. Amazon has to versions. One in UHD and one that isn't.
Apple TV 4k device, will not play HDR by selecting a 4K UHD version of a Prime Video Original. It does not list HDR as available. But, it lists HDR on a Roku Ultra selecting the same 4K UHD version of the show and plays it fine. Not getting HDR on Apple TV 4k with Amazon for now...... HDR and Dolby Vision play fine with iTunes , Vudu and Movies Anywhere.
galonzo likes this.
post #24006 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Apple TV 4k device, will not play HDR by selecting a 4K UHD version of a Prime Video Original. It does not list HDR as available. But, it lists HDR on a Roku Ultra selecting the same 4K UHD version of the show and plays it fine. Not getting HDR on Apple TV 4k with Amazon for now...... HDR and Dolby Vision play fine with iTunes , Vudu and Movies Anywhere.
On my Apple TV 4K, Amazon content available in HDR is tagged as HDR. However, they do not play in HDR anymore. They did until the Amazon app was recently updated.
post #24007 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 11:26 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11208 Post(s)
Liked: 6668
My go-to video for Dolby Vision HDR testing is Jack Ryan. On the Amazon Prime app on my Sony Z9F, Jack Ryan has both the HDR and the Dolby Vision badges, and plays in DV (as reported by the display). On my ATV 4K, set to Dolby Vision format with both Match Range and Frame Rate set, Jack Ryan has the HDR badge, but when I play it, HDR picture mode is not invoked on the display. IOW, neither Dolby Vision nor HDR for Jack Ryan. Quite a difference between the TV app and the ATV app.
post #24008 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Apple TV owners' thread.

Folks with Amazon prime HDR issues. The way to be heard is to submit a bug / support complaint to Amazon. Bitching here won’t solve it. If enough folks complain maybe they will escalate to the correct person.

The good way (best?) way to submit a request for prime video is to use the prime video app on (on iOS devices like iPhone/ Pad...not sure for other devices/computers) and submit thru there. At least you known it’s going to the correct support teams.

I’ve done this and I encourage all here with Prime to do the same.
Keenan likes this.
post #24009 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Quote:
Apple TV 4k device, will not play HDR by selecting a 4K UHD version of a Prime Video Original.
You (and anyone else wondering about Prime Video) should search this thread for "Amazon" and read the posts from the last week.

By the way, when I checked on 29-July-2019 The Man in the High Castle and Good Omens were in HDR. They aren't anymore.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8

Last edited by bodosom; 08-03-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #24010 of 24961 Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Folks with Amazon prime HDR issues. The way to be heard is to submit a bug / support complaint to Amazon. Bitching here won’t solve it. If enough folks complain maybe they will escalate to the correct person.

The good way (best?) way to submit a request for prime video is to use the prime video app on (on iOS devices like iPhone/ Pad...not sure for other devices/computers) and submit thru there. At least you known it’s going to the correct support teams.

Email sent via iPad.

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #24011 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
I recently found out that the 4-second video freeze near the end of TV shows and movies, sometimes just before the ending credits as well, in my Apple TV with Quick Start enabled only happens when I use a wired ethernet connection. On Wi-Fi connection this issue does not happen. My network switch is a Netgear GS108. My Apple TV 4k is connected to the switch and from the switch to the router. Anyone else here with a wired ethernet connection to their Apple TV 4k getting this issue as well?
The issue has returned and on Wi-Fi as well and its been about 2 months since I last experienced this issue. It sometimes happens even 5-20 seconds before the ending credits begin from episodes and movies if it's close enough to the end of the stream. The only things I changed recently was setting my TV's Scene Select setting to Cinema 1 but disabling all image processing settings except keeping Cinemotion on Auto. I set Frame Rate Matching to Off in the Apple TV 4k video settings. Also recently I updated the software on my Apple TV 4k to 12.4 but this issue started happening about a week after I installed the update. Has anyone here recently experienced this issue on their Apple TV 4k?
post #24012 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Hulu is suppose to be 4K now.

So are people seeing 4K HDR content though the Hulu app. On their Apple TV 4K?

Did they upgrade the audio from stereo?
post #24013 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hulu is suppose to be 4K now.

So are people seeing 4K HDR content though the Hulu app. On their Apple TV 4K?

Did they upgrade the audio from stereo?

It’s not supposed to it does support 4K. It’s “only” 4K SDR currently. Audio has not changed.
galonzo likes this.
post #24014 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
The update isn't available yet...but should be soon. For those that want to test once it hits, a link to a test file can be found here: https://firecore.com/forum/topic/22196
The latest Infuse update is out. Sample file plays fine in DV.

https://firecore.com/releases

https://firecore.com/blog/23463
post #24015 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_64 View Post
Looking for some advice - I had my ATV4K working fine with Dolby Vision connected to my Sony TV thru the Denon AVR. Just got a new Panasonic OLED and now ATV will only set as HDR (no option of DV). I have reset the ATV and checked all settings on TV (DV is enabled and works from Oppo). Bit stuck......

Well,... I don't know if anyone answered you yet. Start troubleshooting by going ATV4K into the new display bypassing the AVR. I assume your OLED supports DV.

-Brian
post #24016 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am also not seeing the HDR badge show up on Amazon Prime on the ATV 4k... I do see it listed in the Info bar before playing (Jack Ryan and others)... But then the content plays in SDR. Reported to Amazon but not sure if there is a better way to report issues to them.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
post #24017 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
I am also not seeing the HDR badge show up on Amazon Prime on the ATV 4k... I do see it listed in the Info bar before playing (Jack Ryan and others)
From just a few posts back: " You (and anyone else wondering about Prime Video) should search this thread for "Amazon" and read the posts from the last week."

There's no point in reporting this to Amazon, if they cared about this issue (or their Apple TV owning customers) HDR would have been reliably enabled on the ATV when they reached the "agreement" with Apple.

People should think about the implications of high quality assets being enabled/disabled at random. This is a deliberate policy which might change with further refinements in the Apple/Amazon relationship.
mik2h likes this.

post #24018 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
From just a few posts back: " You (and anyone else wondering about Prime Video) should search this thread for "Amazon" and read the posts from the last week."

There's no point in reporting this to Amazon, if they cared about this issue (or their Apple TV owning customers) HDR would have been reliably enabled on the ATV when they reached the "agreement" with Apple.

People should think about the implications of high quality assets being enabled/disabled at random. This is a deliberate policy which might change with further refinements in the Apple/Amazon relationship.
I have read all the posts... the POINT is if when you view the show details and it shows HDR it should work. When it doesn't it is a BUG. If HDR did not show then it would be a deployment choice. My question remains as to what is the best way to report these "ISSUES" to Amazon.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
post #24019 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Amazon is just doing this to **** on apples customers since they really do hate each other. How long did we have to wait to even get prime support? Like over 5 years. Other companies dont seem to care much about software on other platforms even though its a big part of their business. Its like a lazy developer taking their time to update things for different resolutions on phones that are usually small companies and that dont care much anymore about their app. If apple had its way im sure it would push these companies more into making their experience better.
Nobody likes having to use another device because they cant get what they want all on one thing.
post #24020 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3321 Post(s)
Liked: 6161
Quote:

Since Apple is getting into the content creation market, I suspect Amazon feels it should be entitled to have the Apple apps on it’s devices if it’s going to provide Apple with Prime on ATV. Not sure how this will get resolved but with Prime producing some pretty good stuff, it’s needed on a daily-driver interface. Just when I thought Apple had finally nailed this one, we take a step back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
galonzo and mik2h like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #24021 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
I have read all the posts... the POINT is if when you view the show details and it shows HDR it should work. When it doesn't it is a BUG. If HDR did not show then it would be a deployment choice. My question remains as to what is the best way to report these "ISSUES" to Amazon.

The answer is “no”. There is not a better way to report this to them than to report it to them as you did. Doubt it’s a bug.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #24022 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:

I am of mixed emotions about your post, but the ONLY place to “report” this is to amazon and get it escalated which is difficult in the support process.

It does seem that Amazon support with respect to their streaming services is horrible.

The other thing you can do is expose their terrible product on some visible social media platform, or high profile website (not a forum) and hope it goes viral so that someone high up gets the message about their crappy product.

Last edited by rsonnens; 08-04-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #24023 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 AM

We should all hold a prime strike for this. I mean it’s very important in life. We might die soon if it’s not added.
ppasteur, dturturro and mik2h like this.
post #24024 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Quote:

This is what I got back after reporting the HDR issue to Amazon:

I am sorry to hear that HDR quality videos are no longer working on the Apple TV 4K device since, the last Prime Video app update.

In order to resolve this issue, we need to escalate to our technical team and file a case for this issue so that this issue get resolved at the earliest and we can save you from any further hassle.
In order to raise a ticket we need some more needed information from you, so that we can inform about the exact issue to the technical team. Please contact us over live medium again so that we can gather the required information from you and then file the ticket hand by hand at the same time.

Please be assured that once we escalate this issue to our technical team they will try to resolve it at the priority basis.

We're happy to help you over the phone. Please visit the following link, enter your phone number through the Phone tab, and we'll call you:
-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

We're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

We would never want to disappoint a valued customer like you and we always endeavor to assist our customer with the best of our service so we can ensure that we fulfill all of their needs.

Thanks for your patience while we fix this problem. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
Sajad

I'm hesitant to call them as I'm likely to get someone that doesn't understand the issue at all and I'll become extremely frustrated.

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #24025 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
I am of mixed emotions about your post, but the ONLY place to “report” this is to amazon and get it escalated which is difficult in the support process.

It does seem that Amazon support with respect to their streaming services is horrible.

The other thing you can do is expose their terrible product on some visible social media platform, or high profile website (not a forum) and hope it goes viral so that someone high up gets the message about their crappy product.

You could also cancel their service. That speaks louder than words.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #24026 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Where does it show that’s it’s hdr/atmos? In the “apple tv” app. Not the prime app. So it’s not apples fault. They haven’t changed anything. It’s prime for taking it out. Doubt it’s a bug also.
post #24027 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Where does it show that’s it’s hdr/atmos? In the “apple tv” app. Not the prime app. So it’s not apples fault. They haven’t changed anything. It’s prime for taking it out. Doubt it’s a bug also.

It shows in the Prime app when you select the show before going into an episode. If not a bug then intentionally bad info. I agree that Amazon and Apple have a shaky relationship. It was only recently changed that you could buy Apple Products on Amazon. But if you show HDR on the info panel... IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE.

post #24028 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have read all the posts... the POINT is if when you view the show details and it shows HDR it should work. When it doesn't it is a BUG. ... My question remains as to what is the best way to report these "ISSUES" to Amazon.
It's obviously not a bug. If it helps you should think of it as a "report" of the best quality available. Like Vudu. It doesn't mean you get that.
Note that I'm not saying there's a better place to report issues. There isn't. I'm saying the POINT is there's no point in reporting these issues because it's an Amazon policy to care very little about competitors, not a bug in the app.

post #24029 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am of mixed emotions about your post, but the ONLY place to “report” this is to amazon...

As I noted I'm not suggesting there's any better way to report issues. Amazon streaming support is mediocre to terrible on all but the latest Amazon devices -- even their own less-than-best devices get limited support. If you're an Amazon competitor (Apple/Google) it's not sensible to expect good service from the most mercenary of tech retailers.

I suppose a letter writing campaign to John Archer might be an approach but I really don't think Amazon cares a whit about what people think as long as they continue to shop Amazon.
mik2h likes this.

post #24030 of 24961 Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I noted I'm not suggesting there's any better way to report issues. Amazon streaming support is mediocre to terrible on all but the latest Amazon devices -- even their own less-than-best devices get limited support. I
I completly agree, that is why I said I had mixed emotions about what you said. Streaming is not core to prime. Seems to be an expensive checkmark item in their offerings which they clearly don't care about and the cost is a tiny rounding error for them.

To be frank I would not pay to stream from Amazon, I'd never buy a movie from them I only watch because I use prime for the shipping benefits. I'd actually be happy if they got out of the streaming business because any good show of on prime would be financed by a competitor in the current market if not for them being in the market--sadly they have so much money to throw around (in a stupid fashion) that they outbid the competition for a few good shows.

I think the way to get them to change is to get them bad press somehow in a more public manner to take their service seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page