Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28708Likes

post #24031 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You could also cancel their service. That speaks louder than words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But that would not cause them to change in this case because you won't be heard and videos is not core to their prime offering. I suspect the number of people, as a percentage, that subscribe exclusively for their video offerings is not measurable. It is a weak checkmark item for them.

Only public embarrassment seems to work these days. #primevideosucks

Last edited by rsonnens; 08-04-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24032 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really can’t stand the Prime app. I’m know there’s a lot of good shows on prime but I just hate going into the app. It could get better for their own devices but I don’t see it improving for AppleTV because of the competition.
mik2h likes this.
post #24033 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
From just a few posts back: " You (and anyone else wondering about Prime Video) should search this thread for "Amazon" and read the posts from the last week."

There's no point in reporting this to Amazon, if they cared about this issue (or their Apple TV owning customers) HDR would have been reliably enabled on the ATV when they reached the "agreement" with Apple.

People should think about the implications of high quality assets being enabled/disabled at random. This is a deliberate policy which might change with further refinements in the Apple/Amazon relationship.
Whats funny is, HDR movies are still playing in HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24034 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked: 3614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Monroe View Post
Movies that are available from Amazon Prime video? Which movies?
post #24035 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Movies that are available from Amazon Prime video? Which movies?
Last Flag Flying for example.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #24036 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked: 3614
Quote:
Last Flag Flying for example.
Yep, sure enough, it's playing in HDR mode. That makes this whole situation even more confusing now.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #24037 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yep, sure enough, it's playing in HDR mode. That makes this whole situation even more confusing now.
If you look under "Included with Prime: 4K UHD movies," some tagged as HDR play in HDR and some do not.
post #24038 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Quote:
If you look under "Included with Prime: 4K UHD movies," some tagged as HDR play in HDR and some do not.
As has been noted various times.
dianebrat and Ph8te like this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #24039 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
The issue has returned and on Wi-Fi as well and its been about 2 months since I last experienced this issue. It sometimes happens even 5-20 seconds before the ending credits begin from episodes and movies if it's close enough to the end of the stream. The only things I changed recently was setting my TV's Scene Select setting to Cinema 1 but disabling all image processing settings except keeping Cinemotion on Auto. I set Frame Rate Matching to Off in the Apple TV 4k video settings. Also recently I updated the software on my Apple TV 4k to 12.4 but this issue started happening about a week after I installed the update. Has anyone here recently experienced this issue on their Apple TV 4k?
This morning I changed my TV settings back to Graphics mode, the mode I used before, and did a reset/update of the software of the Apple TV 4k and my Apple TV 4k still is experiencing the same issue. The only thing I can think of that is causing this issue is my internet connection. I have a 45 mbps down / 6 mbps up connection and I'm wondering if the upload speed is the culprit. I ruled out TV settings, HDMI cable, TV's HDMI input, ethernet switch, Apple TV 4k as I also tried a 2 64GB versions which had the same issue. I can get this issue consistently near the end of the Magnum P.I. (1980's) episodes around 5-20 seconds before the ending credits begin and it's like a brief freeze in the video for a few seconds but the audio is continuing and the video skips ahead a few seconds after the video freeze and if I replay that part the issue does not happen again at that spot. Also once again I will mention that I have Match Frame Rate turned off as I have a 60 Hz set even though it supports 24p True Cinema.

Update: I also just tested my Apple TV 4k connected to my monitor and the same issue persists. I can now rule out my TV as the culprit as well. The only things I have not ruled out so far is my internet connection and modem.

Last edited by Dave3000; 08-04-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: update on situation
post #24040 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
It shows in the Prime app when you select the show before going into an episode. If not a bug then intentionally bad info. I agree that Amazon and Apple have a shaky relationship. It was only recently changed that you could buy Apple Products on Amazon. But if you show HDR on the info panel... IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE.
Quote:
It's obviously not a bug. If it helps you should think of it as a "report" of the best quality available. Like Vudu. It doesn't mean you get that.
Note that I'm not saying there's a better place to report issues. There isn't. I'm saying the POINT is there's no point in reporting these issues because it's an Amazon policy to care very little about competitors, not a bug in the app.
If it’s actually a “policy” as you say then it should be somewhere in writing, have you seen that’s the case, or are you just being cynical about the Apple / Amazon relationship? If you’re too ambivalent or detached to report a problem, then you can never expect it to get fixed. I agree with radamo that ATV / Prime problems should be reported, Amazon may want everyone to buy their devices, but they still know they make a lot of money from Apple users.
radamo likes this.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
post #24041 of 24951 Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:

Very, very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #24042 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
My Amazon app was not even placing an HDR tag on the movie info, until last night. Now the tags are back but still will not play with HDR. Maybe they are working on the app so it will work with the new ATV updates to the Apple TV app this fall and not briefing customer service about it. HDR plays fine on other devices. Just guessing.
galonzo and naustin like this.
post #24043 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
If it’s actually a “policy” as you say then it should be somewhere in writing
Quote:
Policy: a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by a government, party, business, or individual
Note the absence of the words PUBLIC and written. All of these companies have policies they choose not to share for various reasons. E.g. making said policy public makes them look grasping.

In any case perhaps you're a newcomer. This is not new problem, it's been with us since the app was released. People have complained, they've been given the run-around and nothing has really changed since the release in Dec-2017 (except multi-channel audio). If you search this thread for Amazon those posts will provide some context for current discussions.

post #24044 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I recently found out that the 4-second video freeze near the end of TV shows and movies, sometimes just before the ending credits as well, in my Apple TV with Quick Start enabled only happens when I use a wired ethernet connection. On Wi-Fi connection this issue does not happen. My network switch is a Netgear GS108. My Apple TV 4k is connected to the switch and from the switch to the router. Anyone else here with a wired ethernet connection to their Apple TV 4k getting this issue as well?
The issue has returned and on Wi-Fi as well and its been about 2 months since I last experienced this issue. It sometimes happens even 5-20 seconds before the ending credits begin from episodes and movies if it's close enough to the end of the stream. The only things I changed recently was setting my TV's Scene Select setting to Cinema 1 but disabling all image processing settings except keeping Cinemotion on Auto. I set Frame Rate Matching to Off in the Apple TV 4k video settings. Also recently I updated the software on my Apple TV 4k to 12.4 but this issue started happening about a week after I installed the update. Has anyone here recently experienced this issue on their Apple TV 4k?
This morning I changed my TV settings back to Graphics mode, the mode I used before, and did a reset/update of the software of the Apple TV 4k and my Apple TV 4k still is experiencing the same issue. The only thing I can think of that is causing this issue is my internet connection. I have a 45 mbps down / 6 mbps up connection and I'm wondering if the upload speed is the culprit. I ruled out TV settings, HDMI cable, TV's HDMI input, ethernet switch, Apple TV 4k as I also tried a 2 64GB versions which had the same issue. I can get this issue consistently near the end of the Magnum P.I. (1980's) episodes around 5-20 seconds before the ending credits begin and it's like a brief freeze in the video for a few seconds but the audio is continuing and the video skips ahead a few seconds after the video freeze and if I replay that part the issue does not happen again at that spot. Also once again I will mention that I have Match Frame Rate turned off as I have a 60 Hz set even though it supports 24p True Cinema.

Update: I also just tested my Apple TV 4k connected to my monitor and the same issue persists. I can now rule out my TV as the culprit as well. The only things I have not ruled out so far is my internet connection and modem.
So if this is happening both wired and over WiFi (I'm hard-wired, 500Mbps/500Mbps; no such issue here), I would suspect you internet connection; also,
  1. What app are you using to watch Magnum P.I.?
  2. Does this happen on other apps?
  3. What are your ATV video settings?
  4. What is your connection path to your TV?
  5. What type of TV do you have?

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #24045 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphil View Post
My Amazon app was not even placing an HDR tag on the movie info, until last night. Now the tags are back but still will not play with HDR. Maybe they are working on the app so it will work with the new ATV updates to the Apple TV app this fall and not briefing customer service about it. HDR plays fine on other devices. Just guessing.
Perhaps there's some confusion about what's being discussed. In any case while it's true that customer support has no idea about how Prime Video works on the ATV it's not because of work on updates.
rsonnens likes this.

post #24046 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Perhaps there's some confusion about what's being discussed. In any case while it's true that customer support has no idea about how Prime Video works on the ATV it's not because of work on updates.
If you read back a few posts on this particular topic maybe that will help with your confusion. I feel the only thing we can really do is wait and hope it gets fixed soon.
post #24047 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you read back a few posts on this particular topic maybe that will help with your confusion.
I'm not confused. As I recently wrote "If you search this thread for Amazon those posts will provide some context for current discussions". Note that the Prime Video app was released in Dec-2017 (months after it was announced) so you should look back that far.

post #24048 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Note the absence of the words PUBLIC and written. All of these companies have policies they choose not to share for various reasons. E.g. making said policy public makes them look grasping.

In any case perhaps you're a newcomer. This is not new problem, it's been with us since the app was released. People have complained, they've been given the run-around and nothing has really changed since the release in Dec-2017 (except multi-channel audio). If you search this thread for Amazon those posts will provide some context for current discussions.
I do only lurk this thread now and then, but long time on AVS and with Apple. I also like to encourage people to write about problems and let the those who can actually do something about it know, it’s kind of like voting. It’s not always easy, but I try to avoid getting cynical, and I just keep nudging.

In my work experience, something that was a ‘policy’ was put in writing, and could therefore be defined and enforced. A ‘practice’ was something that everyone did a certain way, but that may not have a formal definition or backing by the agency or company. I suspect the Amazon position on Apple is the latter, and did not expect that it would be in writing publicly; my question was rhetorical, but I do doubt it’s an Amazon policy, and maybe not even a practice.

Since I don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K, I don’t have an Amazon premium account (or whatever the 4K option is called), so I can’t confirm any of this and shouldn’t have commented. I just want to encourage trying to make it better.

Edit: I should add that I was happy when enough complained and the Prime Video app for ATV got DD5.1 (and probably DD+ for 4K), I do enjoy that!

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 08-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #24049 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not confused. As I recently wrote "If you search this thread for Amazon those posts will provide some context for current discussions". Note that the Prime Video app was released in Dec-2017 (months after it was announced) so you should look back that far.
Thanks for trying to help but I had the amazon app when it first came out so I am aware of problems since the beginning. Everything was working fine until lately. Sometimes when Apple updates software other 3rd party apps have to make some adjustments too. I was just trying to find out if someone knew why all of the sudden it stopped working the way it should. I'm good now, I will just wait until they get it working again. Love the ATV4k!
post #24050 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Everything was working fine until lately.
Not to beat a dead horse but that statement is simply not true if you have a UHD/HDR/AC-3 system. Amazon has never reliably delivered the "best" content to the ATV4K (or any number of non-Amazon systems). However they have periodically and seemingly randomly changed the assets delivered to the ATV4K independent of system or app update.
rsonnens, naustin and mik2h like this.

post #24051 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Since I don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K, I don’t have an Amazon premium account (or whatever the 4K option is called), so I can’t confirm any of this and shouldn’t have commented. I just want to encourage trying to make it better.

FYI, you maybe confusing Amazon Prime Video with Netflix. Amazon Prime afaik does not have a “premium” account. Netflix however does require that you subscribe to a higher level (more expensive) tier for HDR and a few more features.

galonzo likes this.
post #24052 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
FYI, you maybe confusing Amazon Prime Video with Netflix. Amazon Prime afaik does not have a “premium” account. Netflix however does require that you subscribe to a higher level (more expensive) tier for HDR and a few more features.
Ah, good to know, I assumed it might be part of the ‘Unlimited’ package that everything I want to watch seems to be under So, if I did have the bandwidth, it wouldn’t cost any more to watch 4K HDR (when available).

post #24053 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Even more confusing is that some shows that advertise on Home screen are showing correctly in HDR. See below. So the app isn't broken if there is HDR content.

In HDR - all I could find with a quick look

Man in the High Castle
Hand of God
Bosch

example of non HDR

The Boys
The Grand Tour
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
galonzo and mrfranc like this.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #24054 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley141 View Post
With the latest update to tvOS 12.4 last week thus bug appears to have been resolved. Can anyone else confirm that this issue is no longer present on tvOS 12.4 public release?

I was coming to state/ask the same thing. I just got around to updating my ATVs. 12.4 seems to have fixed flickering in dark areas!

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus
post #24055 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple TV owners' thread.

Quote:
Ah, good to know, I assumed it might be part of the ‘Unlimited’ package that everything I want to watch seems to be under So, if I did have the bandwidth, it wouldn’t cost any more to watch 4K HDR (when available).

Bandwidth, compatible TV, compatible AVR, quality hdmi cables, and an AppleTV 4K box.... then yes you are good to go.

Actually I believe HDR on the streaming services work even when not streaming 4K if due to bandwidth limitations. The stream data rate is automatically throttled down but you still get HDR. I’ll let someone else confirm that.
galonzo likes this.
post #24056 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually I believe HDR on the streaming services work even when not streaming 4K if due to bandwidth limitations.
When I last looked Prime Video delivered different assets to 4K systems versus 2K systems. The note only mentions Atmos but with Amazon you never know. I've heard that other providers also have resolution based asset limitations.

post #24057 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Even more confusing is that some shows that advertise on Home screen are showing correctly in HDR. l
This varies from day-to-day and presumably by market. I'm sufficiently lazy to not always say what I experience is on my video chain which is based in the US.

post #24058 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I last looked Prime Video delivered different assets to 4K systems versus 2K systems. The note only mentions Atmos but with Amazon you never know. I've heard that other providers also have resolution based asset limitations.

I have seen Amazons LG TV Prime App stream at lower resolution but have HDR when I had a crappy network connection—on the LG Amazon can display the current streaming resolution. I don’t know what happens on the ATV.

But you are correct, because the TV support 4K hdr it does pick a different asset, just will stream it at what they claim is 1080p (or less) as the network bandwidth dictates.
post #24059 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
So if this is happening both wired and over WiFi (I'm hard-wired, 500Mbps/500Mbps; no such issue here), I would suspect you internet connection; also,
  1. What app are you using to watch Magnum P.I.?
  2. Does this happen on other apps?
  3. What are your ATV video settings?
  4. What is your connection path to your TV?
  5. What type of TV do you have?
I used the TV app then switched to the iTunes TV Shows app to watch other episodes. Yes, it happens in the iTunes TV Shows and iTunes Movies apps as well. I not sure if the issue is now happening on the Netflix app also with the wireless connection as I have not been using Netflix lately. My Apple TV video settings are: 1080p SDR, YCrCb, and Match Content Off. I also tried RGB Low when connected to my monitor via HDMI switch and it still has the same issue. I also have Quick Start turned on. The connection path to my TV is: Apple TV 4k > Yamaha RX-V685 receiver > Sony KDL40W600B. I can also rule out my receiver since it also happens when my Apple TV 4k is connected to my monitor via an HDMI switch and back when I used a wired connection and did not have a receiver in between it still happened. I also have Quick Start turned on and want to keep it turned on for a few reasons even though it was somewhat of a workaround to this issue (setting has no affect on 3rd party apps, ie Netflix app) back when I used a wired connection. Do you have Quick Start turned on? As I said that the only thing I did not rule out is my modem and my internet connection, but why does this happen only within the last 60-90 seconds of a stream. If it would be an internet connection issue wouldn't it happen randomly through a stream and not just within the last 60-90 seconds of a stream?

Last edited by Dave3000; 08-05-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #24060 of 24951 Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Bandwidth, compatible TV, compatible AVR, quality hdmi cables, and an AppleTV 4K box.... then yes you are good to go.

Actually I believe HDR on the streaming services work even when not streaming 4K if due to bandwidth limitations. The stream data rate is automatically throttled down but you still get HDR. I’ll let someone else confirm that.
My system passes all the ATV4K tests (HDR, DV, Cables, etc), though it also likes to tell me I don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K (would that it were available). I can also view a 4K/HDR stream off my local network through ATV/Plex. However I’ve never bothered to look if the Prime App ever triggers the HDR flag on my TV, I’ll start watching for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page