Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post - Page 822 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29604Likes

post #24631 of 26237 Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
This is what caused my question. "Cable test". Presumably it will run w/no Internet connection and tell you if the HDMI does 4K.
When I said “cable test” I meant the “check HDMI connection” test, it should tell you if you’re cable can handle the ATV’s most difficult modes, 4K HDR&DV @ 60 Hz. But I misspoke, the message I see refers specifically to streaming, and is not part of that test, it comes up when you change video modes, like to 4K/60 DV. Again, if you have an internet connection with more than 15 Mbps, you’ll likely never see it.

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24632 of 26237 Old 09-03-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
The Vizio thread is not working for me so I thought I would ask here:

When I try to run Airplay on my Vizio C1 display and an iPad, it will correctly play a Dolby Vision title from the iTunes library but it won't play Atmos. It appears to be using the Vizio speakers instead of my Denon AVR. Anyone that also has a Vizio know why this may be happening? I have speakers on the Vizio set to "Auto" and this seems to work on any other source that is using the "TV Audio" input on the AVR.
I gave a more detailed response on the Vizio thread. I'm inclined to think Apple's LPCM MAT 2.0 may not pass Atmos via ARC.
lujan likes this.
post #24633 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Is a new Apple TV coming next week ?

Hi,

Reposting story about the possibility of a next generation Apple TV being announced at the Sept 10th Apple event.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/03/is-a-...ing-next-week/

Not sure the additions I've read about would help with my current system but I have kids who could use my existing ATV4K so that makes it a bit easier for me to justify buying it over again for at least 3 more times... ha ha. ATV4K is my favorite gizmo ever so I'll all in in they make it even better.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24634 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I'm inclined to think Apple's LPCM MAT 2.0 may not pass Atmos via ARC.
Since ARC doesn't support greater than 2.0 LPCM one wouldn't expect MAT to work. Displays sometimes get around this by re-encoding the audio. That's Apple's solution -- but not for Atmos.
naustin likes this.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #24635 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
For the last 6 months I have been unable to accurately stream 4k Fox Sports through ATV4k. Problem is pictures are washed out blacks are GRAY rather than BLACK. I had same results trying to stream FS1 4k through FUBO service via the ATV and now the FOX Sports App. I think it may be a HDR/color space problem.

ATV is connected directly to my LG OLED with "certified" HDMI. All my iTunes and other 4k content on the ATV are perfect, it is just the issue with Fox 4k. The HD feeds of the games are fine also. Have tried changing all the ATV settings (normally I use 4k SDR with MATCH turned on) but that did nothing. Even more confusing is the same Fox 4k feeds via Comcast on their X1v4 4k box looked fine in 4k, so it isn't the feed.

Fox has a lot of 4k sports coming up with MLB playoffs and NFL Thursday night so I would love to get this working.

Any ideas?? Thanks!
I had the same issue. From what I’ve been told the broadcasts use HLG HDR which I don’t think is supported by the ATV. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
post #24636 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Looks like Apple maybe releasing a NEW ATV with the A12 processor.. Time will tell next week...
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #24637 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
I had the same issue. From what I’ve been told the broadcasts use HLG HDR which I don’t think is supported by the ATV. Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
I think HLG is for over-the-air broadcasts only so it shouldn't have anything to do with their streaming service through the Fox App for ATV. In fact, I doubt the streaming Fox App is in 4k HDR as it is probably only 720p format.

Sounds more like an issue with the app or something wrong in the stream from Fox.
post #24638 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
... Apple maybe releasing a NEW ATV ...
As noted three posts before yours.
Ph8te likes this.

post #24639 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I think HLG is for over-the-air broadcasts only so it shouldn't have anything to do with their streaming service through the Fox App for ATV. In fact, I doubt the streaming Fox App is in 4k HDR as it is probably only 720p format.

Sounds more like an issue with the app or something wrong in the stream from Fox.
HLG is for TV broadcasts in general, whether its for OTA or cable/satellite channels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma
post #24640 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

Reposting story about the possibility of a next generation Apple TV being announced at the Sept 10th Apple event.

Not sure the additions I've read about would help with my current system but I have kids who could use my existing ATV4K so that makes it a bit easier for me to justify buying it over again for at least 3 more times... ha ha. ATV4K is my favorite gizmo ever so I'll all in in they make it even better.

-Brian
My thinking also, would like to replace my kids firetv 2nd gen with an appletv, so move my current atv4k to their tv and get a newer model for out main tv.
post #24641 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
As noted three posts before yours.
Rats!! I checked two posts up and didn't see anything .
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #24642 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:

Quote:
HLG is for TV broadcasts in general, whether its for OTA or cable/satellite channels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma
Although HLG was developed for broadcast it does not mean it will not be used for streaming.

The BBC have chosen to use HLG exclusively for HDR and all their UHD/HDR programmes will for the foreseeable future be streamed via their iPlayer app. Their pilot streams have included live "broadcasts" of Football (Soccer) and pre-recorded material such as Planet Earth.

Also, Sky in the UK are planning on launching HDR later this year and they have been pretty clear that all HDR programmes will use HLG - live and on-demand, broadcast and streamed.

Can't speak for other broadcasters but it would not surprise me if quite a few chose to go a similar way.
galonzo, Musician and Soundizer17 like this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.

Last edited by jong1; 09-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #24643 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Although HLG was developed for broadcast it does not mean it will not be used for streaming.

The BBC have chosen to use HLG exclusively for HDR and all their UHD/HDR programmes will for the foreseeable future be streamed via their iPlayer app. Their pilot streams have included live "broadcasts" of Football (Soccer) and pre-recorded material such as Planet Earth.

Also, Sky in the UK are planning on launching HDR later this year and they have been pretty clear that all HDR programmes will use HLG - live and on-demand, broadcast and streamed.

Can't speak for other broadcasters but it would not surprise me if quite a few chose to go a similar way.
Thanks for information.

The point I was trying to make is if they were using HLG HDR, the ATV does not support HLG HDR, from what I’ve read on here anyways. Again, please correct me if I’m wrong.
post #24644 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is if they were using HLG HDR, the ATV does not support HLG HDR, from what I’ve read on here anyways.
The ATV4K doesn't currently support HLG (but it's worth remembering that Apple's "pro" tools support all common HDR formats). In practice this means the provider should do the conversion not that you should get an audio only presentation. HLG is intended to be intrinsically compatible with SDR (it's a broadcast format after all for both television types) so "discarding" the HDR sprinkles should leave SDR. For extra points the app+CDN could do an HLG to HDR-10 conversion. Either one of these approaches results in ATV4K compatible video.
TheRatPatrol likes this.

post #24645 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
The ATV4K doesn't currently support HLG (but it's worth remembering that Apple's "pro" tools support all common HDR formats). In practice this means the provider should do the conversion not that you should get an audio only presentation. HLG is intended to be intrinsically compatible with SDR (it's a broadcast format after all for both television types)
Exactly. So it seems that if they were really getting HLG over a streaming app then it should work fine as as standard SDR. From what I understand the SDR content from HLG is even upscaled and better quality than regular transmission SDR.

I haven't played with the Fox Sports Apps yet but it would surprise me if an ATV app from a vendor was streaming content that was unplayable on the ATV. That just makes no sense. Why have a streaming app for the ATV that streams content in a format that is incompatible with the ATV?
TheRatPatrol likes this.
post #24646 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
I recently did a comparison of the picture quality between Apple TV and what MA as well as Amazon Video :

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...vs-amazon.html

You are looking at totally the wrong bit rate. What matters is the actual encoding bit rate of the video itself. Not the rate at which the bits are sent down the internet. That just the buffering rate. It’s not indicative of any quality measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rsonnens and Salty01 like this.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ

Last edited by JaremyP; 09-04-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #24647 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

HLG HDR streaming is very real in UK as BBC iPlayer streams HLG HDR for sporting events and more. Sony and LG Support it, so AppleTV4k is at a disadvantage here.

My guess is next gen will include it, butwho knows.
post #24648 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
The ATV4K doesn't currently support HLG (but it's worth remembering that Apple's "pro" tools support all common HDR formats). In practice this means the provider should do the conversion not that you should get an audio only presentation. HLG is intended to be intrinsically compatible with SDR (it's a broadcast format after all for both television types) so "discarding" the HDR sprinkles should leave SDR. For extra points the app+CDN could do an HLG to HDR-10 conversion. Either one of these approaches results in ATV4K compatible video.
Quote:
Exactly. So it seems that if they were really getting HLG over a streaming app then it should work fine as as standard SDR. From what I understand the SDR content from HLG is even upscaled and better quality than regular transmission SDR.

I haven't played with the Fox Sports Apps yet but it would surprise me if an ATV app from a vendor was streaming content that was unplayable on the ATV. That just makes no sense. Why have a streaming app for the ATV that streams content in a format that is incompatible with the ATV?
To be honest, I'm not sure technically that an HLG stream would be able to be "stripped" to show SDR. I am far from an expert in broadcast tech but HLG HDR info is in parts of the gamma curve unused in "Old tech" SDR broadcasts, so it is simply not seen by SDR equipment. It's exploiting the limitations of TVs and old transmission equipment. It has no metadata. Once digitised and streamed I'd be surprised if this trickery applies. I'd expect any box, like the ATV, would need to be HLG compatible, or at least aware, to accurately display even the SDR image, although I'd admit to not being positive about this.

On the other hand, I totally agree that it would be mad to send such a stream to a non-HLG box. There should be no reason why they could not simply send an SDR stream instead.

On the other, other hand, they may choose not to. Apart from the very first UHD trial, when an SDR version was made available on some devices, the BBC have ONLY supplied UHD with HLG and non-HLG compatible devices have been limited HD. Also, Sky appear to have decided to only provide one UHD stream to their STBs (a different situation I accept). All need to support that stream to play it. So, with some content providers, non HLG compatible systems could be limited to HD in future.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED65E6V, Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q 2TB, Chromecast Ultra
Home-built Ivy Bridge i5-3570K HTPC, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX1050 GPU with Plex and Jriver Media Centre,
Ruipro 15M Fiber HDMI cable, B&W FPM speakers, Logitech Harmony Ultimate intelligent remote.

Last edited by jong1; 09-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #24649 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4964 Post(s)
Liked: 4454
Quote:

perfect timing!...I'm looking into buying my first ATV in time for Disney+...A10X Fusion chip to A12 Bionic/A12X would be a nice bump up...
post #24650 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
perfect timing!...I'm looking into buying my first ATV in time for Disney+...
And maybe by then, Disney will teach Hulu how to bring Dolby surround to the Apple TV.
post #24651 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
perfect timing!...I'm looking into buying my first ATV in time for Disney+...A10X Fusion chip to A12 Bionic/A12X would be a nice bump up...
looks like it's confirmed as having an A12 chip, not A12X

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/04...-thing-rumors/
post #24652 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
looks like it's confirmed as having an A12 chip, not A12X

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/04...-thing-rumors/

Curious as to what a new version can do that the current one can’t? Otherwise I struggle why I would upgrade. It would be nice to see a streaming stick version.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #24653 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Curious as to what a new version can do that the current one can’t? Otherwise I struggle why I would upgrade. It would be nice to see a streaming stick version.
I think atop most people's wish lists is a redesigned remote...also a cheaper price point would be nice (but I doubt that will happen)
post #24654 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
I think atop most people's wish lists is a redesigned remote...also a cheaper price point would be nice (but I doubt that will happen)
I don’t see them changing the remote as much as I hate it as well. Streaming stick at lower price point would be logical, otherwise updating CPU in same form factor does not make sense.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #24655 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
You'd think that might hold this until TV+ is available...(?)

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR777
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K
post #24656 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I only have one Apple TV but would like another for my bedroom. If a new one is announced Ill probably get it for my main use and bump the current one to the bedroom. I don’t mind the old remote design too much. It’s just I wish it had a rubbery type of backing instead of having to get a slip for it.
post #24657 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6580 Post(s)
Liked: 6349
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I would guess the update in processor for gaming is the biggest thing. On the video side there isn’t much the current one can’t do or couldn’t do with a firmware update. Bitstreaming is a dream of many, but integrating the is sounds probably makes this a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
I only have one Apple TV but would like another for my bedroom. If a new one is announced Ill probably get it for my main use and bump the current one to the bedroom. I don’t mind the old remote design too much. It’s just I wish it had a rubbery type of backing instead of having to get a slip for it.

You can buy a rubber “case” for it (much like phone case).
post #24658 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I would guess the update in processor for gaming is the biggest thing.
Hmph. The biggest thing is a restore port. Good news / bad news. The bad news I bricked my replacement beta box -- this time with an aluminum remote. The good news, Apple recognizes this as a defect and will replace your bricked unit with a "replacement" unit -- eventually. But you have to call support and get escalated to someone that can make an "exception" and the person I spoke said it was easiest if you mailed it to them. Mediocre news, they should have done this a month ago. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 21.25.41 .png
Views:	33
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2611196  

post #24659 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You can buy a rubber “case” for it (much like phone case).
I don't know why I couldn't think of the word case. Thats what I meant not slip hahahaha.
post #24660 of 26237 Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
... I wish it had a rubbery type of backing instead of having to get a slip for it.
I don't know why I couldn't think of the word case.
I thought you mean "sleeve" but Freudian slip it is.
Ph8te, Musician and suitechicguy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple 4k tv , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Apple Tv Md199ll A , grainy , hdr , issue , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page