Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4920Likes

post #8761 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I rip lossless uncompressed MKV's of blu-ray and DVD's and use Plex on a Roku 2 to view them. My setup is totally wireless from the plex server to the roku and it works decent enough.

Additionally in Plex you can set the bandwidth limitations on what it streams to all devices to lighten the load. IE stream in 720p instead of 1080, or use one of the smaller bandwidth 1080's...

That said if your hardwired I wouldn't think that would be an issue. If anything the only issue would be ensuring the Roku can do 5.1 or 7.1 lossless which I am not sure about given I am using a soundbar in my bedroom with the Roku.
Good info. Do you know if Plex can be installed on the non Sever HTPC and access the files on the Server to stream? The server and HTPC is in the same box but ran into alot of errors trying to set Plex up on the WHS2011 VM.

Lossless wouldn't be a concern since the Rokus are going to mostly outputting to HTIB type of bedroom setups. I will continue to use the HTPC for my main HT/Media Room.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Good info. Do you know if Plex can be installed on the non Sever HTPC and access the files on the Server to stream? The server and HTPC is in the same box but ran into alot of errors trying to set Plex up on the WHS2011 VM.

Lossless wouldn't be a concern since the Rokus are going to mostly outputting to HTIB type of bedroom setups. I will continue to use the HTPC for my main HT/Media Room.
I have a Roku 1 playing mkv's from a router usb hdd with no issues.1080p, Dolby digital and DTS passthrough on hdmi. I use the Chaneru channel on the Roku.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #8763 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
With MakeMKV you can rip the underlying AC3 track being added as a secondary track to the TrueHD/Atmos track. This is what I do so I can still play back my mkvs with audio on devices that cannot decode TrueHD/Atmos (of course just having to manually switch to the AC3 track)
Thanks. I knew that. The issue is that my MKV player will not recognize MKVs with both THD and AC3 soundtracks.

With MPC-HC, I can play those dual-track MKVs and select which soundtrack to use, but playing either through my TV's player or through my Bluray player'so USB port, only a 'simple' MKV with AC3 only is recignized and plays any sound.

So what I am doing right now is making three MKVs per Atmos Bluray:

AC3-only
THD-only
THD & AC3

I've got space to burn for the moment and so I can afford to play around with all three options, but hope to eventually get to a player solution where I can get away with only a single THD+AC3 MKV.

Is that what a transcoded like Plex will do: take in a THD+AC3 MKV and recognize that a player like the one in my TV will only recognize AC3 so it strips out the THD when being played by the TVs player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8764 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks. I knew that. The issue is that my MKV player will not recognize MKVs with both THD and AC3 soundtracks.

With MPC-HC, I can play those dual-track MKVs and select which soundtrack to use, but playing either through my TV's player or through my Bluray player'so USB port, only a 'simple' MKV with AC3 only is recignized and plays any sound.

So what I am doing right now is making three MKVs per Atmos Bluray:

AC3-only
THD-only
THD & AC3

I've got space to burn for the moment and so I can afford to play around with all three options, but hope to eventually get to a player solution where I can get away with only a single THD+AC3 MKV.

Is that what a transcoded like Plex will do: take in a THD+AC3 MKV and recognize that a player like the one in my TV will only recognize AC3 so it strips out the THD when being played by the TVs player?
Have you tried setting the AC3 track as the default track? The THD track my be set as default so that is what your mkv player automatically goes to play.

Cheers
post #8765 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Have you tried setting the AC3 track as the default track? The THD track my be set as default so that is what your mkv player automatically goes to play.
That's an interesting idea - how do I do that?
post #8766 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
That's an interesting idea - how do I do that?
I just checked. In MakeMKV, highlight the audio track. In the properties section at the right change the drop down to "MKV Flags". Odds are for the TrueHD track you will see the value as "d" which means default. Delete this, highlight the AC3 track directly below, and place a "d' on the MKV Flag option

Cheers
post #8767 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I just checked. In MakeMKV, highlight the audio track. In the properties section at the right change the drop down to "MKV Flags". Odds are for the TrueHD track you will see the value as "d" which means default. Delete this, highlight the AC3 track directly below, and place a "d' on the MKV Flag option
I'll give it a try - thanks.
post #8768 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I'll give it a try - thanks.
For MKVs that you already have, you can use MKVToolnix.

I also use this tool to mux back in TrueHD tracks after running an MKV through Handbrake.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/
post #8769 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronnie View Post
For MKVs that you already have, you can use MKVToolnix.

I also use this tool to mux back in TrueHD tracks after running an MKV through Handbrake.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Thanks. Is there a way to download it that does not require accepting new extensions?
post #8770 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southstorm View Post
I have a Roku 1 playing mkv's from a router usb hdd with no issues.1080p, Dolby digital and DTS passthrough on hdmi. I use the Chaneru channel on the Roku.

is Chaneru channel a private channel? I don't recall seeing that before in the channel store.
post #8771 of 11387 Old 12-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
I just didn't want the extra services running or impromptu scans going on when it's streaming media.
Run some sort of minimal anti-virus on the machine as previously said you are connected to other computers which browse the web. I've seen a bunch of my clients have CryptoLocker or some other name which encryptes all files (media, etc.) it is a form of Ransomware which ruins not only the pc which DL'd it but anything connected to it on the network.

This has probably been answered 100 + times but I am on my phone and its difficult to search but how are Redbox rips? I've read in the past they lower the audio quality but is this business practice still going on? How about the video quality?
post #8772 of 11387 Old 12-31-2015, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
anybody have a playlist number for Inside Out? I have three 801, 802, and 803.
post #8773 of 11387 Old 12-31-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
Its Disney, look at the playlist's for the first different M2TS and watch it to check what language the text is in on the screen, which ever one is English is the correct one. Probably 801.

Bill
Kelson likes this.
post #8774 of 11387 Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
At 7:23 of the movie there is a yard sign that says sold. Whichever one is in English is the one with the playlist you are looking for. The other 2 playlist I think are Spanish and French.
post #8775 of 11387 Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
is Chaneru channel a private channel? I don't recall seeing that before in the channel store.
Nope, Chaneru Rev 2 on the channel store.

post #8776 of 11387 Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
ClownBD and Windows 10

I have a customer in Texas, I am in South Florida, who upgraded to Win 10 pro from Win 7 pro. Since the upgrade ClownBD no longer launches Imgburn automatically at the end of the process to create an ISO. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy the issue. ClownBD completes without errors but doesn't launch Imgburn. I can create an ISO with imgburn from BD structure but it must be done manually. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks is advance and Happy New Year to all.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #8777 of 11387 Old 01-02-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I have a customer in Texas, I am in South Florida, who upgraded to Win 10 pro from Win 7 pro. Since the upgrade ClownBD no longer launches Imgburn automatically at the end of the process to create an ISO. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy the issue. ClownBD completes without errors but doesn't launch Imgburn. I can create an ISO with imgburn from BD structure but it must be done manually. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks is advance and Happy New Year to all.
I'm sure you have looked but is the path to ImgBurn still correct in ClownBD?

Bill
post #8778 of 11387 Old 01-04-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
I'm sure you have looked but is the path to ImgBurn still correct in ClownBD?

Bill
Thanks for response. I gave up after several hours and just restored Win 7 Pro because the update was done less than a week ago. Everything works as it should after restoration. I am not impressed with Win 10 in the least. When I get a chance I will build a VM with Win 10 Pro and see I can get it to work or at least duplicate the issue.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #8779 of 11387 Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I've done some reading and decided, for my purposes, I can achieve a combined set of media from my 8 drives by using NTFS symbolic links and junctions. That way I can still manage my 8 drives independently, but still have a single combined view of all my media that my media players see.
I know this is an old post, but could you describe how you're doing this?
post #8780 of 11387 Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
I know this is an old post, but could you describe how you're doing this?
Certainly...I'll try to be brief (since I know this isn't technically a "ripping blu-rays" topic, more a file management one).

When I started ripping my blu-rays to ISOs, I bought 8 drives. I called them Media1, Media2, ... Media8. I filled up Media1 with blu-rays from A-D, filled up Media 2 with blu-rays from D-H, and so on. I shared each of these drives and was accessing them from my Dunes and my Oppos by drive (by selecting one of the 8 shares).

Then later, I bought something like Avengers 2. Ripped it, but of course, Media1 is all full, so I had to put that ISO on some free space on Media6, for example. But then when I went to sit down and watch a movie, I would have to look up where a particular ISO was (or try to remember)...major PITA.

So I left Media1-8 as is, adding files to them as I rip newer content, but took a flash drive and called it MediaA-Z. On this flash drive there is no content essentially (other than a complex directory structure). All it contains are symbolic links to the directories already present on Media1-8. I now have a single share called MediaA-Z that my Dunes and Oppos access.

I used a program in Windows called "NTFS Link" to create the symbolic links. The program lets you do junctions (old style directory links), symbolic links on directories, and symbolic links on files. I decided to keep it simple and do symbolic links on directories, because it allows me to do a dir listing (e.g. dir /s) on MediaA-Z and see the used size of what MediaA-Z is "pointing" to. Then I look at the used sizes on Media1-8, and if it all adds up, I know my MediaA-Z is essentially a complete "card catalog" (I know, old term) pointing to all the various media directories on Media1-8.

I have 38TB of files, but it only took me a few hours to build up the symbolic link directory structure on the flash drive. There are some slight caveats; for example, the symbolic link directory location pointer is a fixed absolute path. So if I move things on Media1-8, or drive letters change, etc...it can mess up what the flash drive is trying to point to. But if you're careful, you can have a single nice directory hierarchy that can point to a whole mess of files strewn across many drives.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Elite Sable 16:9 100", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #8781 of 11387 Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
^^^ Why not keep things much simpler by using Stablebits Drivepool?
post #8782 of 11387 Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I remember us discussing this a couple months ago.

One reason is I'd already ripped a bunch of content to drives. When researching drivepool, I learned it manages what data ends up on what drive and I like to control what ends up where. Plus I'd have to copy everything into the pool and many of my drives are already filled to capacity. The solution I ended up with appeals to my meticulous nature
post #8783 of 11387 Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I remember us discussing this a couple months ago.

One reason is I'd already ripped a bunch of content to drives. When researching drivepool, I learned it manages what data ends up on what drive and I like to control what ends up where. Plus I'd have to copy everything into the pool and many of my drives are already filled to capacity. The solution I ended up with appeals to my meticulous nature
I get what you're saying, however, this feature can be done. As you can see from the picture, when selecting the file "movies" I can check the box next to the drive that I want the movies to be stored onto. I have three HDDs at the moment to choose from. Since I like my drives to be equally balanced (I applied that plug-in rule or whatever it is called with DrivePool) I obviously would want all the HDD boxes to be checked. If I didn't enable the plugin to balance drives equally and wanted to control where each folder/file ended up I could by checked the respective HDD boxes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-06.png
Views:	497
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1168394  
fatherom likes this.
post #8784 of 11387 Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
@fatherom
Another alternative is the drive pooling software sold by FlexRaid.
http://wiki.flexraid.com/about/flexr...orage-pooling/

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8785 of 11387 Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 74
These two programs are interesting. I assume FlexRAID can work within a Windows environment? I'm going to look into this. I span my 5 HDDs in Windows so they show up as one drive, but I don't have the benefit of re-balancing the free space.

Let's say in talking about a single m2ts file which could be let's say, 25GB. In a drive pool, could that file be split among different disks? Or would it split an ISO? I'm thinking no because it's a single file where as it might split a bunch of different separate files that are in a folder.
post #8786 of 11387 Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
@fatherom
Another alternative is the drive pooling software sold by FlexRaid.
http://wiki.flexraid.com/about/flexr...orage-pooling/
In my research (over a year ago) I decided against FlexRAID. There were several reasons.... at the time FlexRAID's website was down (for well over 3 weeks) and support was none existent. There was a mass exodus (on this forum) from FlexRAID to Stablebits products. FlexRAID (f) was causing a whole bunch of problems for users. One notable problem is the parity features wasn't doing its job by repairing the array in the event of a drive failure. Several members tested this by physically disconnecting the drive as if the drive completely died.

On the other hand, DrivePool offered a simplistic way of pooling the storage and endless possibilities on how to manage that pool. Furthermore, Stablebits Scanner supposedly warns the user of any potential drive malfunctions months in advance of a failure. My original motivation for a pool was to go beyond the storage capabilities of a single drive without having multiple folders or drives show up on the network. Drivepool does just what I want in regard to that. I was going to download and enable a parity solution but haven't felt like I needed it with Scanner and file duplication enabled.
post #8787 of 11387 Old 01-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
What keeps me and others from considering Stablebit? WINDOZE and all of the crap it brings.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #8788 of 11387 Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
What keeps me and others from considering Stablebit? WINDOZE and all of the crap it brings.
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't had many if any problems at all having Windows run my media server. Really the only problems I've had were to do with beginners experience and/or being picky/selective of the software that I utilized. All in all though Windows performs as expected... stable and incredibly user friendly.
post #8789 of 11387 Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't had many if any problems at all having Windows run my media server. Really the only problems I've had were to do with beginners experience and/or being picky/selective of the software that I utilized. All in all though Windows performs as expected... stable and incredibly user friendly.
Just like some here are incredibly ... obsessively? ... "detail oriented" in knowing where every bit is stored, some here seem .. irrationally? .. loathsome toward Windows. Re-reading some recent pages on the subject will explain. Somebody .. Kelson? ... characterized it as an OS that wants to be your world.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 01-08-2016 at 05:11 AM.
post #8790 of 11387 Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I love windows. When left alone, like my server and htpc, it normally runs without any problems. That is, until win10 and all its random auto updates, but even that has gotten a lot better.
@jhughy2010 no need for parity if you're doing duplication. You just eat up a lot more space is all.

Question for you drivepool users: any of you using the ssd landing disc option? Ever notice that the drive balancer doesn't work as well as when not using the ssd option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page