Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4920Likes

post #9331 of 11387 Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Thanks all who replied. The problem is I already own the software I mentioned above. It works very well as I have already made direct copies of several of the blu Rays I own. The issue is there are literally 100 options to compress the video. I know H265 is considered among the best but I was wondering if there is an ideal compression such as mkv or something that will allow dts hd to remain as the source sound instead of it forcing to transcode it to ac3 or AAC.
Not knowing the options in the software you are using, I can't comment.

For me, and my playback devices, I use Alternate Output 1920x1080 MKV intact audio option in BD-Rebuilder. I usually select CRF and set it at 20 or 21, along with a few settings/options I had posted earlier in this thread (post 9309). It makes MKV files where the video is encoded to....

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

and the audio is the stock audio from the original bluray.

I don't know enough about Pavtube to tell you how to configure it for similar output.

I use this because it works on all my playback devices, even those where plex re-encodes them on the fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 11387 Old 03-20-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
@superkyle , x265 really doesn't get you anything over x264, and in fact is worse than, unless you are compressing to a really low bit rate and/or compressing raw footage and/or compressing 4K+ resolutions.
mrfattbill likes this.
post #9333 of 11387 Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Any tips on a good, non-riplocked, bluray reader?

I want to see if I can get something that rips to hard drive faster than my LG BH16NS40 burner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9334 of 11387 Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
That's about the fastest BR reader out there...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9335 of 11387 Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
I've been browsing this thread and have gotten myself a bit confused. I've tried a few different programs and I don't seem to see what I want.

I'd like to try a few different things:

1) ISO: Exact copy at full quality
2) MKV of movie only at full quality with HD Audio (and also try lower bitrates etc)
3) MKV and/or MP4 of bonus content (as individual files preferred, or disc menu is okay too)

Is there a simple program similar to the old DVD shrink that will let me see what to extract (for bonus content and such)?

Any help is appreciated!
post #9336 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I'd like to try a few different things:

1) ISO: Exact copy at full quality
2) MKV of movie only at full quality with HD Audio (and also try lower bitrates etc)
3) MKV and/or MP4 of bonus content (as individual files preferred, or disc menu is okay too)
Stick with MKV -- MP4 is too limited in what kind of streams it can contain. All titles on a BD are defined by a playlist file for each item. MakeMKV will read the disk and display a list of all the titles on the disk. You set a minimum time in the options menu so it will delete all the trivial titles which may be nothing more than a studio banner, etc. In MakeMKV you can select each title and view information such as length, chapters, etc. You can select as many or all the titles to rip. Each title will be ripped to its own MKV file with a default filename, unless you change it in the setup screen before doing the rip.

Once they are ripped, it is up to you to go through them and figure out what is what.

For an .iso of the full disk, you can use ImgBurn to do that if you have a resident decrypter running. Otherwise you can use MakeMKV to rip the full disk to your HDD as BDMV folder structure then use ImgBurn to create an .iso from the folder structure. There is no real need for .iso unless you have a player that can handle a full-disk rip and do BD menus.
dmarqueset likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9337 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Stick with MKV -- MP4 is too limited in what kind of streams it can contain. All titles on a BD are defined by a playlist file for each item. MakeMKV will read the disk and display a list of all the titles on the disk. You set a minimum time in the options menu so it will delete all the trivial titles which may be nothing more than a studio banner, etc. In MakeMKV you can select each title and view information such as length, chapters, etc. You can select as many or all the titles to rip. Each title will be ripped to its own MKV file with a default filename, unless you change it in the setup screen before doing the rip.

Once they are ripped, it is up to you to go through them and figure out what is what.

For an .iso of the full disk, you can use ImgBurn to do that if you have a resident decrypter running. Otherwise you can use MakeMKV to rip the full disk to your HDD as BDMV folder structure then use ImgBurn to create an .iso from the folder structure. There is no real need for .iso unless you have a player that can handle a full-disk rip and do BD menus.
Good advice.

One gotcha with stuff that uses title length to determine main movie is discs like "catch me if you can" that use title obfuscation (or whatever it's called). IIRC the main movie comprised over 200 titles on the disc.

I use DVD Fab (and AnyDVD) been very happy with it. I used to make ISO's now make MKV's. 2 things I don't like:
  • No menu, which is pain when watching a music disc and trying to find out which chapter is which track (maybe there's a solution for this, just not aware of it (I use Kodi)
  • Forgetting to use forced subtitles. My workflow is buy disk, register digital copy (if supplied), RIP to MKV (at original quality). Then I watch the MKV to verify everything is good and find there are foreign language scenes (e.g. Inglorious Basterds) and I have to re-rip with forced subtitles

A few other things to watch for

I ripped the equalizer and ended up with the the directors commentary version. Flip side of this on badly designed disc menus (e.g. David Gilmour a night to remember), it doesn't it doesn't take ages to be able to get to the TruHD/DTS-MA soundtrack
Ripped some other movie and ended up with 16:9 instead of 2.35:1 version
For some newer titles you will need something that handles Cinavia protection (usually an additional licensed option)

These are just minor annoyances you have to live with. Can't beat having all your movies on-demand on a server.

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #9338 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
For some newer titles you will need something that handles Cinavia protection (usually an additional licensed option).
A workaround for Cinavia is only needed for players, hardware or software, that are BD-licensed. Streamers like Dune and Popcorn Hour are not and and will play all titles.
Kelson and dmarqueset like this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #9339 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
A workaround for Cinavia is only needed for players, hardware or software, that are BD-licensed. Streamers like Dune and Popcorn Hour are not and and will play all titles.
Sorry, I meant if you want to RIP to MKV, you need a ripper that works with Cinavia (at least I did for DVDFab, and IIRC when it forst came out, Slysoft said AnyDVD would never support it and there'd be a different product)

post #9340 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Sorry, I meant if you want to RIP to MKV, you need a ripper that works with Cinavia (at least I did for DVDFab, and IIRC when it forst came out, Slysoft said AnyDVD would never support it and there'd be a different product)
You can rip Cinavia protected titles with the same ripping software as any other title. The output will have Cinavia protection but it doesn't matter if your playback device does not detect it. Unless you need to play Cinavia rips on a device that detects Cinavia there is no point in seeking out any special ripping software.
Kelson and mrfattbill like this.
post #9341 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
I think most of us are on a different wavelength here. Cinavia doesn't require anything special when you rip to .mkv.
post #9342 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Wireless member

Cinavia is only a problem for playback of ripped content. And there, the key is do not use a BD-licensed player. Look for the Blu-ray logo ... and avoid it.

post #9343 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You can rip Cinavia protected titles with the same ripping software as any other title. The output will have Cinavia protection but it doesn't matter if your playback device does not detect it. Unless you need to play Cinavia rips on a device that detects Cinavia there is no point in seeking out any special ripping software.
Good to know. I use DVDFab and I get a message saying I can't rip cinavia (I think). Was only about $20 for the license to remove it, so I just bought it

post #9344 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Good to know. I use DVDFab and I get a message saying I can't rip cinavia (I think). Was only about $20 for the license to remove it, so I just bought it
They scammed you.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9345 of 11387 Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Forgetting to use forced subtitles. My workflow is buy disk, register digital copy (if supplied), RIP to MKV (at original quality). Then I watch the MKV to verify everything is good and find there are foreign language scenes (e.g. Inglorious Basterds) and I have to re-rip with forced subtitles
You don't have to to re-rip if you rip all english subs from the getgo.

Quote:
They scammed you.
Or it was a reading comprehension fail on his part. The only message I remember is that you have to buy the Cinavia module to remove Cinavia, not to rip it.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #9346 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Forgetting to use forced subtitles. My workflow is buy disk, register digital copy (if supplied), RIP to MKV (at original quality). Then I watch the MKV to verify everything is good and find there are foreign language scenes (e.g. Inglorious Basterds) and I have to re-rip with forced subtitles
You said you use DVDFab... it does have an option to include the forced subs. Why not use it when you do your first rip?
post #9347 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
You said you use DVDFab... it does have an option to include the forced subs. Why not use it when you do your first rip?
I will do now. This was something that came up last week

post #9348 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 867
I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I've been using Handbrake for the last few months. I consistently use the same setting which are mostly the default setting. I use high profile, my original BD's are ripped as MKV and I continue to have Handbrake make them MKV. The RF default is 20 but I set it to 18. For the most part, my files end up at about half the size they were, although there are times when they actually only decrease by 1/3 or even 1/4. My question is for my rip of the BD Highlander. It starts out at 22,000,300, and after I use Handbrake with the normal settings, it actually increases in size to 22,000,400. Any idea what's going on?

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #9349 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I've been using Handbrake for the last few months. I consistently use the same setting which are mostly the default setting. I use high profile, my original BD's are ripped as MKV and I continue to have Handbrake make them MKV. The RF default is 20 but I set it to 18. For the most part, my files end up at about half the size they were, although there are times when they actually only decrease by 1/3 or even 1/4. My question is for my rip of the BD Highlander. It starts out at 22,000,300, and after I use Handbrake with the normal settings, it actually increases in size to 22,000,400. Any idea what's going on?
I haven't seen the BR, but the review over at blu-ray.com suggests the video quality is all over the board, with some of the footage being quite noisy and really just kind of a mess even for 1986. My experience has been that issues along those lines can dramatically affect compressibility, as the compression algorithms view video with noise and grunge (and smoke, fog, film grain, the list goes on) as having extreme levels of detail that must be preserved in all their imperfect glory, so movies like that tend to suck up a lot of bits.

I have a few blu-rays like yours that I ended up leaving uncompressed after handbrake chewed on them overnight and didn't reduce the size at all. I don't remember them all, but one is Young Frankenstein (black and white film with an extremely grainy texture, which brilliantly fits the style Mel Brooks was going for but doesn't compress worth a darn) and another is Mary Poppins (I think something about the blend of cartoon animation and live action overlaid together is challenging for an encoder to interpret, but what do I know). I do know, these things just happen.
post #9350 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 475
^ You're asking Handbrake to produce an output with a certain quality. If the input was of much higher quality then you'll see a big drop in file size. If the input was only about the same quality you're asking for then you won't see much change in file size.
post #9351 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Thanks guys, that makes sense and explains why I get different results for different movies. I think I'll leave this one uncompressed.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #9352 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Noise, detail and action require bitrate. At an RF of 18 all of the Transformers BD's came back almost as large as the uncompressed file and when I ran 300 through Handbrake, it came back larger than the original (I still kept it, though because the original is VC-1 and I wanted x264).

Sometimes it just happens.
post #9353 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
One thing you might try on grainy films like "300", "Man of Steel" or "Saving Private Ryan":

I recently found out that Handbrake has a setting for "Grain" in the Video Tab under "x264 Tune". Selecting that setting tells HB to keep the grain instead of trying to modify / remove it.

I usually use the "Film" setting there but I'm going to give it a try on the next grainy film I do.

post #9354 of 11387 Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
How do I force subtitles using ClownBD?

I've learned in MakeMKV it sometimes requires additional work to make the subtitles forced when they won't do it on their own, but how to do it for a MT2S file in ClownBD? These subtitles that should be forced, like alien languages that aren't automatic are really frustrating me. I'm having to spend far too much time on any given movie to get it right. Hardly seems like the time and money put into this isn't worth it anymore.

Thanks.

-B
post #9355 of 11387 Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 AM
Wireless member

Did you know about this thread? Lots of community knowledge there on this topic. You still need to select the subs, but knowing what to select is a HUGE timesaver.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...subtitles.html

And here's a spreadsheet/database ....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview?pli=1

post #9356 of 11387 Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusse View Post
How do I force subtitles using ClownBD?
Handling forced subtitles is more than a little involved. The topic comes up regularly and hence has been discussed extensively in previous posts on this thread going back several months. Rather than rehash, try a search and look for my posts on the topic. That will at least get you in the middle of the discussion.

In my experience, Clown_BD allows me to handle forced subs or subs of any type exactly the way I want. It's not automatic and does take some user intervention but the workflow is simple and straight forward and always on target.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 03-23-2016 at 05:31 AM.
post #9357 of 11387 Old 03-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
One thing you might try on grainy films like "300", "Man of Steel" or "Saving Private Ryan":

I recently found out that Handbrake has a setting for "Grain" in the Video Tab under "x264 Tune". Selecting that setting tells HB to keep the grain instead of trying to modify / remove it.

I usually use the "Film" setting there but I'm going to give it a try on the next grainy film I do.
Well, forget that. I just did a movie and it INCREASED the file size even more.

post #9358 of 11387 Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Handling forced subtitles is more than a little involved. The topic comes up regularly and hence has been discussed extensively in previous posts on this thread going back several months. Rather than rehash, try a search and look for my posts on the topic. That will at least get you in the middle of the discussion.

In my experience, Clown_BD allows me to handle forced subs or subs of any type exactly the way I want. It's not automatic and does take some user intervention but the workflow is simple and straight forward and always on target.

While I believe you I'm not seeing the same results with handling. I initially grabbed all the subtitles so they are contained, but I find no way to turn a particular track to forced and re-encode it. I also do not see any post by you in the past 6 months that indicates any kind of work flow for what you are describing but easily missed without reading about 400 posts individually and not just the search results.

The only solution I am seeing so far is to redo the rip with MakeMKV, grab the sub I want in the tool kit then run ClownBD again to get back to my MT2S file.

I would prefer to be able to use my original MT2S rip and plug a flag instead of double work. tutorials aren't exactly easy to come by anywhere based on the searches I already had done.

Thanks.

-B
post #9359 of 11387 Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
While I believe you I'm not seeing the same results with handling. I initially grabbed all the subtitles so they are contained, but I find no way to turn a particular track to forced and re-encode it. I also do not see any post by you in the past 6 months that indicates any kind of work flow for what you are describing but easily missed without reading about 400 posts individually and not just the search results.

The only solution I am seeing so far is to redo the rip with MakeMKV, grab the sub I want in the tool kit then run ClownBD again to get back to my MT2S file.

I would prefer to be able to use my original MT2S rip and plug a flag instead of double work. tutorials aren't exactly easy to come by anywhere based on the searches I already had done.

Thanks.

-B
I can't speak for MakeMKV, I don't use it, but when I remux my BD rips, mkvToolnix allows me to flag any track as default or forced. If you already have a complete .mkv file, it can be loaded into mkvToolnix and you can flag the track via the Header Editor without remuxing.
post #9360 of 11387 Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Maybe this will help: Forced Subtitles with ClownBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page