Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 341 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4920Likes

post #10201 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I've been using an mkv > handbrake > m4v workflow for some time now (years, many movies) to back up my purchased blu-rays. For the first time I have run into a strange phenomenom where I can't use the .m4v. Quick time, Player or meta apps like media info and subler all cause a popup window that just gets stuck. It has the Mac security symbol (grey house vault thing) and a progress bar. Any ideas? Sorry if it's an obvious issue. The .mkv plays fine in sPlayer btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Folks - FWIW, this issue apears to be bigger than the one movie I was ripping. It seems that suddenly a bunch of my movies are not playing anymore (in anything). The only thing that has changed is the upgrade to OS Sierra. I know which ones won't/dont play because the icon for the file shows up as a blank page of paper instead of the usual box cover or movie related. I've been using the same system ripping blu rays for years with not a single problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
This is what I've found regarding the issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7677818

My suggestion... re-encode to MP4

The Apple Support thread on this DTS issue is now indicating that the issue is resolved w/ the new itunes/tvos updates.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31101421#31101421
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
Post 3626 is good but it only talks about 2 of the 3 types of subtitles.

There are 3 types of forced subtitle tracks.

1: Subtitles marked as forced along side normal subtitles in a single track. (Avatar)

2: Subtitles marked as forced in its own track. (The Avengers)

3: Subtitles in a track that are not marked as forced but are turned on by java. (Cars 2)

ClownBD can deal with both 1 and 2. ClownBD relies on eac3to.exe to find subtitles events marked as forced. With 1 it will extract the forced subtitle events and create a new track. With 2 it will just keep that track. But with 3 it will not detect this type due to no events being marked as forced.

Type 3 subtitles are easy to detect. These subtitle tracks will never be larger then 10Megs. My program is not fully automatic when dealing with forced subtitles but it does make it extremely easy to detect and rip all 3 types of subtitles.
What are Clown_BD users doing ... losing type 3 subs? Do you know how many titles use type 3 subs?

Does MakeMKV correctly handle all three types of subs?

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 12-14-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #10203 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There is a "post" tag that uses just the final digits of the permalink and this does not suffer from the posts-per-page bug. I've been using it since things went wacky.

For example, to link to the post you just made, this:

[post=48962641]permalinks are broken[/post]

produces this:

permalinks are broken

If that stops working then I give up.

-Bill
Does this method apply if the post you are referencing is in another thread? Does each post in AVS have a unique permalink identifier?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10204 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 12:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked: 4369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Does this method apply if the post you are referencing is in another thread? Does each post in AVS have a unique permalink identifier?
Yes, I use it cross-thread all the time. Those ids must be unique.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10205 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Seriously, for those of us who don't use the full BD rips, your explanation of the problems with getting subs correct, and your workaround to do so, is an excellent reference. It is something that should be readily available.

Not to create work for you, but turning it into a PDF document, uploading to a server and linking to it would be the way to get around shifting post numbering systems here. I would even suggest associating it with those the movies with subtitles spreadsheet.

Jeff
I'll see what I can do about digging up all those 2-3yr old posts I wrote on using Clown_BD for all this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10206 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Post 3626 is good but it only talks about 2 of the 3 types of subtitles.
Yes, I know. But it is the one he was looking for and I had a general idea where it was, to find it easily. I wrote later posts in which I detail all 3 types of subs and how to handle them in Clown_BD, including editing the Clown batch files. We've been talking about this for years, literally -- and it keeps coming up after what was written is forgotten in a couple months and now the links have all been blown up. I just don't feel like repeating myself any more.

The simple truth is that there is no easy, automatic, turn-key way to handle subs in a main-title rip. Each rip is a hands on process to get it right. Not a big deal if you are ripping a couple a month but if you are jumping into the game with a couple hundred disks you want to rip, the process is daunting and so people tend to reject what is tried and true in favor of looking for shortcuts.

- kelson h

post #10207 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by pepar

New question - subtitles ... is there a resource somewhere that will tell me whether I need to check a subtitle box? Or is there another setting somewhere that will include the forced subs, i.e. english when someone is speaking non-English?

My response is confined to native BD.m2ts files and Clown_BD.
Forced BD subtitles have been a bugaboo for as long as I have been using media players -- it's amazing how often it comes up on various threads as if it were a new issue all over again. Very few media players handle forced subs properly or reliably in an automatic fashion from any container. I have always used WD Live players which fit into that category and require human intervention for BD forced subs so this is how I have approached it and have been very satisfied. Of course, this is my personal workflow -- others won't like it a bit but it serves as an example that could be adapted, modified or ignored as the case may be.

I have found two types of forced subs -- forced subs that are contained within the full subtitle track and forced subs that are contained in a track of their own (less common). In the extraction (demux) phase, Clown_BD will identify and extract forced subs and create a separate subtitle track for them in the demux folder -- they are easily identified because they have "forced" in the filename. If you do not see a new subtitle track with "forced" in the filename then the title does not have forced subs and there is nothing further to worry about. In the case where you have the forced subs embedded in the main subtitle track, you will end up with two sub tracks -- the original main subtitle track and a second "forced" subtitle track containing only the forced subs. In the second phase (remux) Clown_BD will remux the forced subtitle track first and the main subtitle track second so when you play the title you only need to tell your player to play the first subtitle track for you to view the forced subs.

When the forced subs are contained in their own track to start with, that is a bit of a pain. During the demux phase, Clown_BD will still create a forced subtitle track which is now a duplicate of the original forced sub track. So now you have 3 sub tracks -- the full sub track, the original forced sub track and the new duplicate "forced" sub track. I have not found a way to turn off the Clown_BD function and not create a second forced sub track. The remux phase will still locate the forced sub track first in line but now things get confusing if you are looking to select the full sub track. I have not found a way to edit the command script to leave out one of the forced sub tracks during remux phase. The only solution I have is to remux the final BD.m2ts file with TSMuxer and leave out the extra forced sub track.

Refer to the screen shot of Clown_BD you posted above. There is a check-box labeled "Force Subtitles". This is a three-state checkbox. Unchecked does nothing. Checked sets a flag to "force" playback of the first subtitle track. Grayed only sets the flag if the first subtitle track is a forced sub track. I leave that check-box grayed all the time. If your media player understands that flag and can act on it then presumably it will automatically play your forced subs without your intervention. Currently the WD Live doesn't do anything with that flag but who knows what a future firmware update may hold.

Caveat 1: Many titles have multiple English sub tracks for director comments or hearing impaired viewers, so how to identify which one. It's actually straight forward, just requires some time. I do a "pre-rip" with Clown_BD in which I just run the demux phase and only select all the English subtitle tracks. I then use SUPRIP to view all the tracks in the demux folder. It's pretty easy to pick out the main subtitle track from the group. If that main sub track also has embedded forced subs, a "forced" sub track is generated which quickly narrows down the list. Once I have identified the stream number of the main subtitle track I rerun Clown_BD and do the full extraction selecting only the above identified subtitle track. Yes, I know, extra steps -- but it works perfectly and reliably.

Caveat 2: I have run across 1 or 2 titles which had forced subs in their own subtitle track but were not identified by Clown_BD as being forced subs -- so Clown_BD did not make a duplicate "forced" sub track. Here you run the danger of not knowing there is a forced sub track that needs to be included in the extraction if you only depend on Clown_BD for their identification.. The solution here for me is SUPRIP. SUPRIP has a check-box that will only display subtitles marked as forced. It has never failed to identify a forced subtitle track, so even though Clown_BD failed to identify the separate forced subtitle track of those couple titles, SUPRIP did and I was able to include it in the main title extraction.
The checked, unchecked or "half-checked" Force Subtitles button ... there seems to be only a very subtle dif between checked and greyed out. From unchecked, grey looks like the next status.

I am playing with Clown right now and don't see a way to pause it after it extracts video, audio, subs, chapters, etc, so that I can inspect and then re-run it to generate the .m2ts. Speculating here on an answer ... do I uncheck "Use tsMuxeR" to do the "pre-rip?"

Am working with I Robot. With the forced button greyed (I think ), it spits out two SUP files neither of which have "forced" in their file names. I suppose I should download and install SUPRIP ...

Jeff

post #10208 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Wireless member

Unchecking halts Clown at the demux stage. Woo-HOO!

I opened one sub file in SupRip and immediately saw [Muffled Yelling]. This would be the sub file for the hearing impaired?

I opened the second sub file and saw "David Newman, on the Newman Scoring Stage in 1997." This would be director's comments?

So neither of these would get included in the m2ts I place on my server. Wonder why Clown extracted them?

Last edited by pepar; 12-14-2016 at 01:10 PM.
post #10209 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Speculating here on an answer ... do I uncheck "Use tsMuxeR" to do the "pre-rip?"
Yes. That eliminates the second stage for muxing.

Quote:
I opened one sub file in SupRip and immediately saw [Muffled Yelling]. This would be the sub file for the hearing impaired?
Yes.

Quote:
I opened the second sub file and saw "David Newman, on the Newman Scoring Stage in 1997." This would be director's comments?
Yes.

Quote:
Wonder why Clown extracted them?
It extracted them because you had them checked in the dialog box that lets you select streams. And, if you didn't extract them all in the pre-rip, how would you know which ones you want and don't want.

- kelson h

post #10210 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 04:29 PM

In @pepar 's post above he quotes my old post:
Quote:
The remux phase will still locate the forced sub track first in line but now things get confusing if you are looking to select the full sub track. I have not found a way to edit the command script to leave out one of the forced sub tracks during remux phase. The only solution I have is to remux the final BD.m2ts file with TSMuxer and leave out the extra forced sub track.
This is not true any more. The Clown_BD batch file can easily be edited to remove and/or reorder streams before it is remuxed. i.e. suppose you have a rip with AC3 and PCM audio tracks and a pair of forced and normal subtitles. The control file can be edited to specify the order of both the audio and subtitle files so if your player defaults to playing the first audio or subtitle file, it will play the one you want.

In the case where forced subs are in their own track file, Clown_BD will create a duplicate forced sub track that would get muxed in. The control file can be edited to eliminate the duplicate from the remuxing and make sure the forced sub file is first in line.

edit: Yeah, I know you are going to ask how. I'll get to that when I find my old posts.

- kelson h

post #10211 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Its funny I offered a solution to easily deal with forced subtitles in all forms. It even addresses everything in the last 4 posts. It seems people are stuck on ClownBD even know it limits you in regards to Java based selection of forced subtitles.
post #10212 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Its funny I offered a solution to easily deal with forced subtitles in all forms. It even addresses everything in the last 4 posts. It seems people are stuck on ClownBD even know it limits you in regards to Java based selection of forced subtitles.
Certainly there are people stuck; it is normal. Inertia keeps us moving in the same direction we always have. I am somewhat agnostic as it has been 3-4 years since I worked with Clown and then only to rip about a dozen titles. First I need to figure it ALL out using Clown (and Kelson's workarounds) and rip a variety of titles, then I will work with your program to rip the same titles.

Kelson did say he addressed all three sub types in subsequent posts. It does seem hard to believe that all of the people using Clown are losing Java-based subs. Anyway, that is the final detail I need to be satisfied I have done it all with Clown before using your application.

I will post my findings.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 12-14-2016 at 08:14 PM.
post #10213 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Certainly there are people stuck; it is normal. Inertia keeps us moving in the same direction we always have. I am somewhat agnostic as it has been 3-4 years since I worked with Clown and then only to rip about a dozen titles. First I need to figure it ALL out using Clown (and Kelson's workarounds) then I will work with your program to rip the same titles.

Jeff
Like Kelson mentioned many people have the same frustrations and ask the same questions over and over. I only wrote my program because of the things that ClownBD didn't do. I only offered it up after it seemed people were having the same frustrations I had when I decided to make it.

Above you asked about pausing to inspect the subtitles. Amazingly enough my program can do that. You also asked about reordering the subtitles after the demux. Amazingly enough my program can do that.

I made a quick tutorial. You can see it in my signature. It explains every screen, function, and shows workflow. If you are going to make a comparison use Cars 2 if you have it.
mike_carton likes this.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 12-14-2016 at 08:23 PM.
post #10214 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Wireless member

I am somewhat skeptical that getting subs correct all the time can be automated. If so, that'd be points in favor of your program. For playlist obfuscation, I believe you mentioned that users of your program rely upon AnyDVD HD's info. Clown users as well can do that. So that'd be a push between Clown and yours.

Jeff

post #10215 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Haven't checked it out just yet but thanks for sharing the program. Going to take a gander soon.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #10216 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I am somewhat skeptical that getting subs correct all the time can be automated. If so, that'd be points in favor of your program. For playlist obfuscation, I believe you mentioned that users of your program rely upon AnyDVD HD's info. Clown users as well can do that. So that'd be a push between Clown and yours.

I have Avatar and Avengers. Headed to Amazon to order Cars 2. I want to be certain my testing is thorough.

Jeff
I won't claim a fully automated rip when it comes to forced subtitles. I can say that 100% detection of all types of forced subtitles happens. If forced subtitles are detected the process will be interrupted between demux and remux so you can choose how you want to handle the subtitles. This is important for Java selected subtitles that are not marked forced.

I could have mimicked ClownBD forced subtitle processing and added the interruption only for Java selected subtitle but I prefer to merge my main and forced subtitles together into a single track. This would always result in interruption between demux and remux and is why I have the workflow how it is.
cnelson87 likes this.
post #10217 of 11387 Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Type 3 subtitles are easy to detect. These subtitle tracks will never be larger then 10Megs. My program is not fully automatic when dealing with forced subtitles but it does make it extremely easy to detect and rip all 3 types of subtitles.
You'd still have to parse an entire track to see if forced items appear at the end of it, though? Going by subtitle size to identify type 3 subs size has already been implemented by BDtoAVCHD, gonna check out your tool to see the differences.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #10218 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 06:06 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
I won't claim a fully automated rip when it comes to forced subtitles. I can say that 100% detection of all types of forced subtitles happens. If forced subtitles are detected the process will be interrupted between demux and remux so you can choose how you want to handle the subtitles. This is important for Java selected subtitles that are not marked forced.

I could have mimicked ClownBD forced subtitle processing and added the interruption only for Java selected subtitle but I prefer to merge my main and forced subtitles together into a single track. This would always result in interruption between demux and remux and is why I have the workflow how it is.
How would your program process movies with two English subtitle tracks, one for hearing impaired and the other the director's comments?

post #10219 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
You'd still have to parse an entire track to see if forced items appear at the end of it, though? Going by subtitle size to identify type 3 subs size has already been implemented by BDtoAVCHD, gonna check out your tool to see the differences.
Does BDtoAVCHD allow the video to go untouched or is it only for re-encoding? I see it is pushing compression.

post #10220 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
How would your program process movies with two English subtitle tracks, one for hearing impaired and the other the director's comments?
See post 10051

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post48384057

Select all subtitle tracks and view them between demux and remux using the subtitle editor.

Some people like main subtitles without closed captioning. Some like main subtitles with closed captioning. Some like to keep directors comments. Also the pesky forced subtitles that aren't marked forced. These are all reasons to check each track between demux and remux. It takes away a fully automated rip but you always get the end result you expect.
cnelson87 likes this.
post #10221 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thank you for this tool you've built, I look forward to trying it out.
post #10222 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
See post 10051

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post48384057

Select all subtitle tracks and view them between demux and remux using the subtitle editor.

Some people like main subtitles without closed captioning. Some like main subtitles with closed captioning. Some like to keep directors comments. Also the pesky forced subtitles that aren't marked forced. These are all reasons to check each track between demux and remux. It takes away a fully automated rip but you always get the end result you expect.
I stepped through Jack Reacher after having just done so with Clown_BD. I like being able to inspect the sub tracks mid-processing, but am not familiar with BDSup2sub so wasn't able to navigate a screen at a time forward (or backward). SupRip is simpler, and works simply for inspecting subs. As I use M2TS files, it would be nice to output that format without having to poke around for it.

I do want to try your program with a title with Java-based subs, but that won't be until late Jan after I get back from the beach shown in my avatar. Anyone just starting out ripping their library should try your program. I don't know that too many ol' dogs will feel compelled to do so though.

edit: Any thoughts on why the m2ts file outputted by your program is slightly larger than the one outputted by Clown?

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 12-15-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #10223 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The "pre-rip" step with Clown takes time
Yes it does, however not necessarily your time. Clown has a batch facility. I've had many an occasion to process a half dozen or more BD's at a time. I like to rip the full disks to my HDD before processing the main title. I do this for processing speed and because I've been known to let them stack up. I'll use Clown to set up a batch queue for ripping all the subtitles from each BD title in one shot, then walk away. Later I'll examine the subs for each title to select the ones I want, then I'll set up another batch file in Clown to do all the processing of all the titles -- and walk away again.

Everyone develops a workflow they like for ripping which gives them their desired output and after a little while they get comfortable and fast at it. I've been using Clown_BD 4-5yrs and have no desire to change what I do. You are trying to jump in and so have to explore a bit. I will offer 1 hint. Since you are looking to rip a large disk collection go down paths that offer a batch facility. It won't take long to get comfortable with a workflow and once you do you will be looking for a way to not have to sit in front of your PC for every disk.

- kelson h

post #10224 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Yes it does, however not necessarily your time. Clown has a batch facility. I've had many an occasion to process a half dozen or more BD's at a time. I like to rip the full disks to my HDD before processing the main title. I do this for processing speed and because I've been known to let them stack up. I'll use Clown to set up a batch queue for ripping all the subtitles from each BD title in one shot, then walk away. Later I'll examine the subs for each title to select the ones I want, then I'll set up another batch file in Clown to do all the processing of all the titles -- and walk away again.

Everyone develops a workflow they like for ripping which gives them their desired output and after a little while they get comfortable and fast at it. I've been using Clown_BD 4-5yrs and have no desire to change what I do. You are trying to jump in and so have to explore a bit. I will offer 1 hint. Since you are looking to rip a large disk collection go down paths that offer a batch facility. It won't take long to get comfortable with a workflow and once you do you will be looking for a way to not have to sit in front of your PC for every disk.
... sigh ... I have several 3TB drives full of 1:1 ISO rips, so batch processing sounds appealing. But then I work all day at my computer, so one at a time would work as well. However, from your description, using a BAT file to get to the demuxed stage, allow time for subtitle track inspection and *then* resume seems like the best way to go.

You had mentioned that you had posted on "Type 3" subtitles, but I don't recall reading about that topic. Can you point me to a post ... or an external link ... where I could read about that? And, finally (for now ), where can I read about how to control Clown with a batch file?

Jeff

post #10225 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM

I've got to find the posts when I get time. All the old links are broken.

On the last screen of Clown, there is a checkbox for Batch you check before clicking next. That queues your job to a batch file and starts at the first Clown screen again for you to input the next job. When done queuing the jobs, click Exit at the first Clown screen and it will ask if you want to run the batch file.

- kelson h

post #10226 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
I've got to find the posts when I get time. All the old links are broken.

On the last screen of Clown, there is a checkbox for Batch you check before clicking next. That queues your job to a batch file and starts at the first Clown screen again for you to input the next job. When done queuing the jobs, click Exit at the first Clown screen and it will ask if you want to run the batch file.
Thanks. I would love to be able to name the final outputted file, though I suppose I could create folders with the title's IMDB name. I will play around with it when I have the time.

The one at a time thing is not onerous. For Jurassic World it was 4:11 to demux, a minute to look at the sub track, another 4:11 to start anew to demux and then 2:21 to mux it all to an m2ts. I could easily do four per hour. My unRAID cache drive is 1TB, but I haven't started uploading to the array so I don't know how long it will take to copy titles to the cache or for the cache to then write to the array. My sense is that I can keep up with the transfer speed to the cache, but the cache-to-array transfer will be the bottle neck. I have read that the write speed to the array is 1/3 the write speed to the cache.

post #10227 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Wireless member

Found this with the Wayback Machine. As I was working through a handful of movies over the last few hours, it dawned on me that the crowd-sourced movie subtitle database is the easiest way to get the subs right.

Quote:
What Techflaws just explained is accurate -- and has been said before.

Forced subtitles on BluRay have been a headache for years -- because there is no universally satisfactory resolution. As a result, the discussion comes up anew every couple months and what was discussed before is forgotten and eventually regurgitated. There are three types of forced subs: forced subs embedded in the main sub track and flagged with a header flag; forced subs in a track of their own and flagged with a header flag; forced subs in a track of their own and not flagged with a header flag but flagged in the Java menu code so the BD player knows to play them. Ripper programs like MakeMKV and Clown_BD can identify and process forced subs of the first two types but not the third. If the third type of forced sub exists it is up to you the ripper-person to realize it exists and find the specific track for yourself. An invaluable tool for finding forced subs is this database of movies with forced subs.

Despite all the effort to identify, process and flag forced subs, most stand-alone media players do not honor the forced flags in any container so there is no solution that will provide automatic display of forced subs other than burning them into the video stream. Some software players will honor the flags.

post #10228 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM

One of the nice things about using Plex as a media organizer/server is that at the server level you can specify a subtitle track to play automatically. Makes it easy to ensure forced subs play without user intervention.

- kelson h

post #10229 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I stepped through Jack Reacher after having just done so with Clown_BD. I like being able to inspect the sub tracks mid-processing, but am not familiar with BDSup2sub so wasn't able to navigate a screen at a time forward (or backward). SupRip is simpler, and works simply for inspecting subs. As I use M2TS files, it would be nice to output that format without having to poke around for it.

edit: Any thoughts on why the m2ts file outputted by your program is slightly larger than the one outputted by Clown?

Jeff
Normally I just use the up and down arrows on the keyboard after selecting the pull down for the subtitle events. But since it seemed like a good feature I added left and right arrows to cycle through the events.

I will think about adding output to M2TS but since it outputs to Blu-Ray folder it seems to be added code for something that is more of an inconvenience to pick out the file from the BDMV\STREAM directory.

I will pull Jack Reacher from the shelf to see why the file sizes are different. Are you sure you picked the same tracks?

(Update) Check your version of tsMuxer. 2.6.12 is the newest and creates the exact same output size. The last version of ClownBD had 1.10.6 so your version might be behind. You can check your version by running tsMuxer.exe from a command prompt.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 12-15-2016 at 08:12 PM.
post #10230 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
... sigh ... I have several 3TB drives full of 1:1 ISO rips, so batch processing sounds appealing. But then I work all day at my computer, so one at a time would work as well. However, from your description, using a BAT file to get to the demuxed stage, allow time for subtitle track inspection and *then* resume seems like the best way to go.Jeff
When I did my conversion to movie only copies I did over 1000 movie folders. What I found more convenient then batch processing was the ability to run multiple version of the same program. Even know Blu-Ray Ripper does full batch processing and can do skip remux only. I made it so you could run more than one instance at a time.

Processing straight from disc allows you to start demuxing with a second instance right after it ejects the first instance disc.

Processing from folder allows you to work subtitles while a second instance is still demuxing/remuxing. Or process many folders in parallel.

I have found after 1000's of movie only copies that about 50% of all Blu-Ray's only have 1 subtitle track in my language so you can process a disc from start to end without interruption. 48% have more then 1 subtitle track in my language so you have to look at the subtitles to decide which track you would like. 1% have forced subtitles which may or may not require interactions depending on how you author your discs. <1% have unmarked forced subtitles requiring a solution that will at least help you detect these and cause a interaction to process.

Now if you only care about the forced subtitles there are many solutions that can handle that. My preference is to have the main subtitle track that is not closed captioning and merge in any forced subtitles. This causes an interruption when processing a disc that has more than 1 subtitle track in my language. I do not mind this interruption because it only takes seconds to check the tracks and is only about 45% of the time. I also prefer to merge the main subtitles and the forced subtitles into a single track which also is a interruption. If I have to process the subtitle track in anyway I can always start a second instance and continue ripping while I take care of the subtitles.

Today I received my Amazon delivery of the new releases this week. I got Ben-Hur, Suicide Squad, and Tightrope. Straight from disc to NAS took 45 minutes. I started with Ben-Hur, (no specific reason) it had 2 English subtitle tracks so I chose to look at them after demuxing by choosing to use my subtitle editor. Once the movie completed demuxing and the disc ejected I inserted Suicide Squad. I had a second instance of Blu-Ray ripper running and started processing the disc. Once Suicide Squad was demuxing I went and looked at the subtitles from Ben-Hur. I found track 8 was normal and track 9 was closed captioning. I selected track 8 and finished remuxing. Once Suicide Squad was finish demuxing and the disc ejected I inserted Tightrope. I processed it in the first instance while Suicide Squad was remuxing in the second. As you can see you can speed things up just based on running more then one instance.

You can apply the same process to folder ripping as well. You can run as many instances as your hard drive/connection will allow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page