Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 342 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4920Likes

post #10231 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 891
While my CPU has six cores and twelve threads, I have only two or three "threads." So I have settled into a workflow that has me referring to the movies with subtitles database, grabbing a title's IMDB name, creating a folder on the SSD where I stage movies to move to my server ... while Clown is processing a title ... while I am changing the generic name of the previous run's outputted m2ts to the IMDB name and moving it to its folder .. on the SSD where I stage my movies to move to my server. Somewhere in there I am inspecting subtitle tracks and re-running Clown to actually generate the m2ts.

This keeps me occupied nicely while I am working on my computer for work. I don't need to batch run Clown or run multiple instances of your ripper.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 12-15-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
While my CPU has six cores and twelve threads, I have only two or three "threads." So I have settled into a workflow that has me referring to the movies with subtitles database, grabbing a title's IMDB name, creating a folder on the SSD where I stage movies to move to my server ... while Clown is processing a title ... while I am changing the generic name of the previous run's outputted m2ts to the IMDB name and moving it to its folder .. on the SSD where I stage my movies to move to my server. Somewhere in there I am inspecting subtitle tracks and re-running Clown to actually generate the m2ts.

This keeps me occupied nicely while I am working on my computer for work. I don't need to batch run Clown or run multiple instances of your ripper.

Jeff
I was going to offer one more tool but it seems you are good with ClownBD. Back in 2014 I made a very crude way of extracting and inspecting all subtitles from a drive full of movie folders. You can point it at a drive that has Blu-Ray folder rips and it will extract all English subtitle tracks and will report on forced subtitles based on forced switch and/or file size. It only works on English subtitles but it will find your forced subtitles (all types) and allow you to look at any track before setting out ripping everything. It uses DOS windows so if you try it, run it and walk away or its annoying. If you are interested its in my signature. Just put it in a directory that has eac3to.exe and run.
post #10233 of 11387 Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Does BDtoAVCHD allow the video to go untouched or is it only for re-encoding?
Dunno, I'm only using MakeMKV/MKVToolnix. I was simply interested in its forced sub detection feature.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10234 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:

I found this intriguing. Not so much for your workflow but for the inference that you are able to do other things while running Clown_BD. I have an i7 CPU and when I'm running Clown_BD, eac3to takes up all the cores and uses all the CPU so that I can basically do nothing useful other than say slowly navigate through some web pages -- and that is only if I remember to launch FireFox before I start Clown running.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10235 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Dunno, I'm only using MakeMKV/MKVToolnix. I was simply interested in its forced sub detection feature.
Can you clear something up for me? What ever happened to MKVMerge? It used to be an app that people talked about and used all the time. Has it been renamed to MKVToolnix or is that something else entirely?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10236 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Can you clear something up for me? What ever happened to MKVMerge? It used to be an app that people talked about and used all the time. Has it been renamed to MKVToolnix or is that something else entirely?
MKVToolnix is the whole project, MKVMerge being the most important component. It also has mkvextract, a batch header editor and I forget if anything else. (ETA: mkvinfo, of course!)

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 12-16-2016 at 06:31 AM.
post #10237 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 06:25 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
I was going to offer one more tool but it seems you are good with ClownBD. Back in 2014 I made a very crude way of extracting and inspecting all subtitles from a drive full of movie folders. You can point it at a drive that has Blu-Ray folder rips and it will extract all English subtitle tracks and will report on forced subtitles based on forced switch and/or file size. It only works on English subtitles but it will find your forced subtitles (all types) and allow you to look at any track before setting out ripping everything. It uses DOS windows so if you try it, run it and walk away or its annoying. If you are interested its in my signature. Just put it in a directory that has eac3to.exe and run.
Thanks, and thanks for your efforts on the "JKR BD Ripper" as well, my situation is that my en masse ripping of 2/3 of my BD library is 1:1 ISOs. I did have to rip to folder one title that kept throwing a read error when ripping to ISO and that took IIRC four hours. The rip to image process takes me ~one hour. I'd guess your tool wouldn't work with ISO's?

Jeff

post #10238 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
When I did my conversion to movie only copies I did over 1000 movie folders. What I found more convenient then batch processing was the ability to run multiple version of the same program. Even know Blu-Ray Ripper does full batch processing and can do skip remux only. I made it so you could run more than one instance at a time.

Processing straight from disc allows you to start demuxing with a second instance right after it ejects the first instance disc.

Processing from folder allows you to work subtitles while a second instance is still demuxing/remuxing. Or process many folders in parallel.

I have found after 1000's of movie only copies that about 50% of all Blu-Ray's only have 1 subtitle track in my language so you can process a disc from start to end without interruption. 48% have more then 1 subtitle track in my language so you have to look at the subtitles to decide which track you would like. 1% have forced subtitles which may or may not require interactions depending on how you author your discs. <1% have unmarked forced subtitles requiring a solution that will at least help you detect these and cause a interaction to process.

Now if you only care about the forced subtitles there are many solutions that can handle that. My preference is to have the main subtitle track that is not closed captioning and merge in any forced subtitles. This causes an interruption when processing a disc that has more than 1 subtitle track in my language. I do not mind this interruption because it only takes seconds to check the tracks and is only about 45% of the time. I also prefer to merge the main subtitles and the forced subtitles into a single track which also is a interruption. If I have to process the subtitle track in anyway I can always start a second instance and continue ripping while I take care of the subtitles.

Today I received my Amazon delivery of the new releases this week. I got Ben-Hur, Suicide Squad, and Tightrope. Straight from disc to NAS took 45 minutes. I started with Ben-Hur, (no specific reason) it had 2 English subtitle tracks so I chose to look at them after demuxing by choosing to use my subtitle editor. Once the movie completed demuxing and the disc ejected I inserted Suicide Squad. I had a second instance of Blu-Ray ripper running and started processing the disc. Once Suicide Squad was demuxing I went and looked at the subtitles from Ben-Hur. I found track 8 was normal and track 9 was closed captioning. I selected track 8 and finished remuxing. Once Suicide Squad was finish demuxing and the disc ejected I inserted Tightrope. I processed it in the first instance while Suicide Squad was remuxing in the second. As you can see you can speed things up just based on running more then one instance.

You can apply the same process to folder ripping as well. You can run as many instances as your hard drive/connection will allow.

For people that use makemkv:

1) open up the disc in makemkv but don't rip it.
2) if there are more than 1 sub files that you want to inspect, run eac3to to demux only the sub files.
3) inspect said sub files with suprip
post #10239 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I found this intriguing. Not so much for your workflow but for the inference that you are able to do other things while running Clown_BD. I have an i7 CPU and when I'm running Clown_BD, eac3to takes up all the cores and uses all the CPU so that I can basically do nothing useful other than say slowly navigate through some web pages -- and that is only if I remember to launch FireFox before I start Clown running.
You might want to check that your Anti-Virus or something else is not interfering. Eac3to.exe takes very little to run and you can easily run more then 1 instance with an i7. Your hard drive should be your limiting factor due to read and writes.

When I make my backups I run 2 instances of Blu-Ray Ripper at the same time with a 1st generation i7 and play games while I rip. It uses the same background programs as ClownBD so unless there is serious issues with the base .exe of ClownBD something else should be causing your problem.
post #10240 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
That's intriguing as well.

I just monitored CPU usage during demuxing Kung Fu Panda. It used all six cores with CPU load ranging from 8% to 20%, with the average being in the low- to mid-teens. Pass 3 took 2:58. Muxing CPU load for one core ranged from 20% to 30%, while the others bounced around between a few percent (baseline) and the low-teens. Muxing time was :50. All of my work folders are on SATA III SSD's. Core-i7, 5820K (no overclocking), 16GB RAM

I see why you do unattended batch runs!

But, as jasonkennethrose suggests, you have something else going on that is loading your system. Putin, maybe?

Last edited by pepar; 12-16-2016 at 07:15 AM.
post #10241 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Wireless member

So, if I see a title is not on the "movies with subtitles" list, and Blu-ray.com lists it as having English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles, I can uncheck the box for the English subtitle track in Clown and proceed to output the m2ts skipping the KPR (Kelson Pre-Rip)?

Jeff

post #10242 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Wireless member

I am working on my first subtitled movie (The Martian) and using PotPlayer to view my results. When I selected Track 13, the track I know to be correct, the eac3to log reported that it had included Track 13 and Track 13 (FORCED). Regardless the subtitle settings in PotPlayer, I cannot see any subs. Going back and redoing the title, I unchecked Track 13 ... thinking that Clown would include it anyway. And still no joy on displaying the subs. (eac3to log did NOT mention anything about subs this time.) I presently do not have a PCH set up for a "second opinion." Anybody have any pointers for me on what I should do in Clown and then also in PotPlayer?

Until I figure this out, I have plenty of non-sub movies to work on.

edit: no joy on Iron Man .. subs didn't display. I can't guess what I might have done wrong with Clown ... so perhaps a PotPlayer setting ... to be continued.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 12-16-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #10243 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
I am working on my first subtitled movie (The Martian) and using PotPlayer to view my results. When I selected Track 13, the track I know to be correct, the eac3to log reported that it had included Track 13 and Track 13 (FORCED). Regardless the subtitle settings in PotPlayer, I cannot see any subs. Going back and redoing the title, I unchecked Track 13 ... thinking that Clown would include it anyway. And still no joy on displaying the subs. (eac3to log did NOT mention anything about subs this time.) I presently do not have a PCH set up for a "second opinion." Anybody have any pointers for me on what I should do in Clown and then also in PotPlayer?

Jeff
For reference: the first forced sub in The Martian is at timestamp 1:20:41. Maybe you just weren't looking in the right place?

The entire track (I assume it's #13) is forced. If you uncheck track 13, Clown will not find any forced subs.
post #10244 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
For reference: the first forced sub in The Martian is at timestamp 1:20:41. Maybe you just weren't looking in the right place?

The entire track (I assume it's #13) is forced. If you uncheck track 13, Clown will not find any forced subs.
I was looking there and had looked on the Movies With Subtitles spreadsheet to know that. There were no subs. Since then I have done a hardcoded title (Inglourious Bastards) successfully as well as a forced/hardcoded title (The Incredibles). PotPlayer displayed those subs. I have The Martian set aside for later and have moved on and am now working on Iron Man.

Jeff

edit: no joy on Iron Man .. subs didn't display. I can't guess what I might have done wrong with Clown ... so perhaps a PotPlayer setting ... to be continued.

Last edited by pepar; 12-16-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #10245 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was looking there and had looked on the Movies With Subtitles spreadsheet to know that. There were no subs. Since then I have done a hardcoded title (Inglourious Bastards) successfully as well as a forced/hardcoded title (The Incredibles). PotPlayer displayed those subs. I have The Martian set aside for later and have moved on and am now working on Iron Man.

Jeff
Hardcoded (aka burned in) are nothing to worry about. There's no way to miss those or screw them up.

I don't know why Incredibles would be any different than Martian. They both have separate tracks with only forced subs, though IIRC Incredibles are not detected by Clown while Martian is.
blackssr likes this.
post #10246 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Jeff
If you use MKV files, I just use Handbrake to convert the video files to MKV or MP4 (you can select the compression rate to whatever you want). Select the subtitle tab, select add subtitle and select subtitle 13 and select burn-in. The subs will appear on screen in the resulting file.

To determine the correct subtitle file, i convert the video from disc to MKV using MakeMKV. Then I watch the movie MKV file using VLC player. MakeMKV will encode all the subs into the MKV file. I then select the subtitle in VLC player. The subtitles will show up on screen. I just go through them and find out which is the correct one and notate it.

That's when I use Handbrake to compress the MKV file and burn-in the subs.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...

Last edited by Jon S; 12-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #10247 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
After I got home I did some tests.

4 copies of eac3to.exe running.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb4h2zwt7f...nager.jpg?dl=0

4 copies of tsMuxer.exe running.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqdbgct4vu...r%202.jpg?dl=0

4 copies of eac3to.exe running while playing ESO.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ud3ix3h6g...r%203.jpg?dl=0

4 copies of eac3to.exe over network.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlsyvh356o...r%204.jpg?dl=0

ClownBD running 3rd pass.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq54jrc0p5...r%205.jpg?dl=0

ClownBD running 3rd pass straight from disc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/az5ccq9uyo...r%206.jpg?dl=0

As you can see your hard drive should be the bottleneck if you have a i7 unless you are pulling through your network or straight from disc. Either way it shouldn't render your computer useless during the process.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 12-16-2016 at 07:07 PM.
post #10248 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Jeff
I am not sure if you just want the forced track or the main and the forced track.

I ripped The Martian 4x with different settings in ClownBD.

Forced subtitles option checked - subtitle track 13 selected
Forced subtitles option checked - subtitle track 8 and 13 selected
Forced subtitles option squared - subtitle track 13 selected
Forced subtitles option squared - subtitle track 8 and 13 selected

There seemed to be no difference using the checked or squared option since track 13 contained only forced subtitles. I think I remember the squared option only does something different when forced subtitles are included inside a regular track. It will extract the forced only and create a new track.

End result was

Forced subtitles option checked - subtitle track 13 selected
Final had 2 tracks 13 13

Forced subtitles option checked - subtitle track 8 and 13 selected
Final had 3 tracks ordered 13 8 13

Forced subtitles option squared - subtitle track 13 selected
Final had 2 tracks 13 13

Forced subtitles option squared - subtitle track 8 and 13 selected
Final had 3 tracks ordered 13 8 13

All 4 copies presented forced subtitles properly at around 1:21. But I find it quite messy having extra subtitle tracks for no reason. I could have edited out one of the subtitle tracks in the .meta file but then there goes the so called fully automated process.

Using Blu-Ray Ripper I selected both track 8 and track 13. After the tracks were demuxed it told me track 13 had forced subtitles. I have 3 choices. 1. Select just track 13 and remux. 2. Select track 8 and 13 and move 13 above 8 and remux. 3. Merge track 13 into track 8, select the new track, and remux.

I still think you would benefit trying Blu-Ray Ripper out a few times. I think anyone that uses ClownBD would find it quite easy and very useful specially when it comes to forced subtitles.
post #10249 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Wireless member

@jasonkennethrose , thank you for your help. Before I setup my Popcorn Hour, I will try your tool.

Jeff

post #10250 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Hardcoded (aka burned in) are nothing to worry about. There's no way to miss those or screw them up.

I don't know why Incredibles would be any different than Martian. They both have separate tracks with only forced subs, though IIRC Incredibles are not detected by Clown while Martian is.
Is there a way with Clown et al to convert all subs to hard Coded?

post #10251 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
If you use MKV files, I just use Handbrake to convert the video files to MKV or MP4 (you can select the compression rate to whatever you want). Select the subtitle tab, select add subtitle and select subtitle 13 and select burn-in. The subs will appear on screen in the resulting file.

To determine the correct subtitle file, i convert the video from disc to MKV using MakeMKV. Then I watch the movie MKV file using VLC player. MakeMKV will encode all the subs into the MKV file. I then select the subtitle in VLC player. The subtitles will show up on screen. I just go through them and find out which is the correct one and notate it.

Thanks, Jon. I do not use MKV format, but I will look for VLC to doublecheck my m2ts files.

Jeff

post #10252 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Can you not have VLC play the m2ts/mpls file to find the correct sub so you can skip the makemkv portion? I know mpc-hc is able to.
post #10253 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Jeff

Is your output mkv? Can you try makemkv to see if you have the same results?

Is your output m2ts? Can you try tsmuxer to see if you have the same results?

Have you tried using BDEdit to flag the file as forced if not outputting to mkv?
post #10254 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way with Clown et al to convert all subs to hard Coded?
Not without recoding using e.g. Handbrake. And you'd still have to identify the forced sub track first, which is the hard part.
post #10255 of 11387 Old 12-16-2016, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Can you not have VLC play the m2ts/mpls file to find the correct sub so you can skip the makemkv portion? I know mpc-hc is able to.
Of course you can, that's what I'm doing: selecting the German sub track, if there is no item then it's the forced track where I've picked a scene without subs.

@Kelson , wmcclain is correct.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better

Last edited by techflaws; 12-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.
post #10256 of 11387 Old 12-17-2016, 04:01 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
I presently don't have VLC, but I will as soon as I get to my workstation today!

post #10257 of 11387 Old 12-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Is your output mkv? Can you try makemkv to see if you have the same results?

Is your output m2ts? Can you try tsmuxer to see if you have the same results?

Have you tried using BDEdit to flag the file as forced if not outputting to mkv?
Will any tool inspect my outputted m2ts and list what is in the container? I suspect the subs are there but not being displayed by PotPlayer.

Jeff

post #10258 of 11387 Old 12-17-2016, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Will any tool inspect my outputted m2ts and list what is in the container? I suspect the subs are there but not being displayed by PotPlayer.
MediaInfo.
http://MediaArea.net/MediaInfo
post #10259 of 11387 Old 12-17-2016, 05:39 AM
Wireless member

^^^

Thanks, I remembered that after I posted.

Jeff

post #10260 of 11387 Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

The m2ts of The Martian, on which PotPlayer didn't display subs, worked perfectly in VLC. But I did need to select a sub track. While selecting, I did notice there were two English sub tracks even though I only selected Track 13. That is the forced track. Why were two tracks muxed in when I only selected one? MediaInfo also showed two tracks. Ditto Iron Man.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page