Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4997Likes

post #10861 of 11583 Old 06-11-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
MakeMKV handle 3D BD's?

I did a quick Google search and the answer is yes.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 11583 Old 06-12-2017, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What would be the smallest quality for Blueray?

What would the smallest quality for Blu-ray rips from media u own, while still maintain that same Blue-ray quality...? I know it depends on the footage, and allot of other factors, but at an average ? eg... I'm know more is better, so really i'm looking for a starting point... a.k.a anything lower than a set limit is not worth it, for example.. I know 720p can be 1 to 2 Gig's but since i'm encoding from Blue-ray, i'm gonna be using MKV.
post #10863 of 11583 Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH198 View Post
What would the smallest quality for Blu-ray rips from media u own, while still maintain that same Blue-ray quality...? I know it depends on the footage, and allot of other factors, but at an average ? eg... I'm know more is better, so really i'm looking for a starting point... a.k.a anything lower than a set limit is not worth it, for example.. I know 720p can be 1 to 2 Gig's but since i'm encoding from Blue-ray, i'm gonna be using MKV.
Any re-compression of a BluRay source will degrade the image from the original -- that is simply a fact of lossy compression algorithms. The question is whether or not YOU can see and/or tolerate the degradation. The answer to that question depends entirely on the size and quality of your display equipment, your viewing distance and angle, viewing area environment, and the state of your eyesight. Any answer someone else gives you will be based on their circumstances, not yours. So, only you can adequately answer your own question by lengthy trial and error. Keep in mind that all movies do not respond to a given set of compression settings in the same way. Also, should you upgrade any of your equipment in the future, you may find that all your compressed BD's now look like crap.

This is why many feel that BD re-compression for home theater use is a waste of time, given how cheap HDD storage has become.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 06-12-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10864 of 11583 Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Here are some tips I can give you:

Go with a crf based encoding scheme vs size/bitrate.

Encode a portion of a Movies frames so as not to spend hours waiting just to find out you want to change some settings.

Test out the portions of a movie that has more static frames vs fast moving frames as the frames with movement are easier to compress which will lead you to think that a) file size will be smaller and b) transparency will be easier to achieve. You will want to use complex static scenes vs simple solid color ones like anime.

Skip x265 unless you are trying to compress to very small file sizes and/or you are trying to work on very high (uhd+) resolution sources and would like to keep that resolution.

Most of x264's switches have more to do with squeezing out ever last bit of compression at the cost of way more encoding time. Very few switches actually have to do with pq. A good example of this is the "fast p-skip" function.

Last but not least, you have to decide whether you will want these files to be compatible with stand alone devices or not. If so, you have to adhere to strict encoding methods which results in lower pq than encoding for software players imo.
post #10865 of 11583 Old 06-15-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Handbrake has many presets. I start with the H.265 1080p30. And then the only thing I change is the video tab. Video codec is h.265. Framerate is same as source with variable framerate checked. Encoder preset at medium. Encoder tune: none, encoder profile: auto
Constant quality I have at 18 for the stuff I care about. I'll change it to 20 or even 22 for DVD's or animation. Sometimes comedies. But mostly it stays at 18.

Set the destination wherever you want it saved and what you want it saved as. I save mine in the drive I rip to. Upon completion I make sure all is well with the file before deleting the original and moving it over to my movie storage.

On the audio tab I leave codec as auto passthru. This just takes the HD audio track I rip in makemkv and adds it to the final MKV untouched.

Next is the subtitles tab. I have makemkv rip english forced subtitles ONLY. If there is one you'll see it here. If there isn't one then you won't see it here. If it does show up then I check burn in. It becomes part of the image and you don't have to deal with compatibility issues with subtitle files.

I save all that as my default so I don't have to set it up every time.

There's a ton of other settings you can tweak but I find these result in a file that is identical to the original. I compare frame by frame on a color turned 34" monitor and I watch the files on a 145" 1080p projector as well as a 65" OLED. I can also compare streams on my nvidia shield tv to my oppo 203(streaming on both) or compare disc playback on the oppo to my nvidia shield and just flip between inputs. I did a lot of work to come up with settings that I feel are perfect.
woodgieroo and Medi0gre like this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
post #10866 of 11583 Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I save mine in the drive I rip to.
It would be faster if you write to a drive different from the one you're reading from.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #10867 of 11583 Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It would be faster if you write to a drive different from the one you're reading from.

Michael

I'm not ripping and encoding simultaneously. Plus the encode process is so slow that speed is unaffected by using the same drive and I have tested. I batch queue the encodes and run them overnight. So it's a non issue.

post #10868 of 11583 Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 163
@archer75

There's no point in comparing frame by frame as you don't watch movies this way. You don't need to look any further than frame comparison of fast movement areas to see that an encoded file will look worse, but when you play it at normal speed you will see that the pq should be very good due to the natural blurring that goes on in these types of scenes.
post #10869 of 11583 Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
@archer75

There's no point in comparing frame by frame as you don't watch movies this way. You don't need to look any further than frame comparison of fast movement areas to see that an encoded file will look worse, but when you play it at normal speed you will see that the pq should be very good due to the natural blurring that goes on in these types of scenes.

I also do frame comparison in fast action scenes. And I can load up the disc in my oppo and start the movie in my media player and then toggle the inputs on my receiver to compare the disc to my encode while playing.
Both are looking the same to me on my settings.

post #10870 of 11583 Old 06-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A way to see bluray rip's file/playlist names?

The thing about ripping blurays, is that the file names are usually don't make sense, using numbers like 0001, 0002 etc.

Are there any software out there that let's you properly browse the rip so that you actually know which videos files are the extras/deleted scenes etc and the movie itself and not a trailer or the start screen?
post #10871 of 11583 Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronium View Post
The thing about ripping blurays, is that the file names are usually don't make sense, using numbers like 0001, 0002 etc.

Are there any software out there that let's you properly browse the rip so that you actually know which videos files are the extras/deleted scenes etc and the movie itself and not a trailer or the start screen?
To identify the movie you should be looking at the MPLS files (playlist) not the M2TS files (movie segments) You can use programs like BDInfo to analyze your Blu-Ray disc. Just look for the MPLS (playlist) that results in the longest playtime.

Thing that can hinder you identifying correct playlists:

Playlist Obfuscation - Many MPLS (playlist) with the same length made of the same M2TS (movie segments) but in random order. These MPLS (playlist) can be correctly identified by AnyDVD-HD.

Theatrical / Extended Cut / Director's Cut - 2 or more MPLS (playlist) with different times made of one base set of M2TS (movie segments) and other M2TS (movie segments) interweaved for different cuts. These can be correctly identified by reading the box the movie came in for the correct play times or check websites like IMDB.

Playlists for different languages (Disney) - 2 or more MPLS (playlist) with different sets of M2TS (movie segments) that have scenes with different languages (presents, présenter, presenta). These can be identified by watching the different M2TS (movie segments). Usually 800 or 850 for English.

Last edited by jasonkennethrose; 06-25-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #10872 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best Lossless Blu-Ray Ripping Software

I am trying to find a reliable software to rip my blu rays in 1:1 lossless format. I am not concerned at all about compression or saving space in any way. I want 100% quality, 100% of the time.

I tried Pavtube Bytecopy and the first Blu-ray I tried (Star Wars: Episode III) ended up failing. The rip gets to 99% but then gets an AVConverterProcess has failed error. I contacted their support and was told "No software can do encoding 100% of the time." I am wondering if that is true and if not, is there a better software solution? I don't mind paying for it, as long as it is reliable. I want to be just popping Blu-rays in and clicking the rip button to build my digital library. I am looking for suggestions for this...
post #10873 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4647 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Your choices are MakeMKV, Redfox, and DVDFab. I use the first one.

-Bill
Guinea85 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #10874 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
It's a feature, not a bug; the software is trying to tell you that that is a terrible first disc to start building a library.

I use RedFox's AnyDVD HD.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #10875 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9324 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
I use Any DVD or MKV. They work every time.

I use Any DVD 99% of the time. And have been using it for many, many years. It has been well worth the cost.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
RaggedEdge likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10876 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It's a feature, not a bug; the software is trying to tell you that that is a terrible first disc to start building a library.

I use RedFox's AnyDVD HD.
Michael
Haha, good point. It isn't THAT bad of a movie compared to the rest of the trilogy. Unfortunately I already sold my entire Blu-ray collection. I only have the Star Wars Blu-rays because I am an avid collector and liked the way the packaging looked on a book shelf. So now that I am rebuilding a digital collection, it was what I was using for testing the quality. Considering Episode 3 has the most graphically enhanced feel to it, it was the best option I had. Once I have a good system down, I will start purchasing and borrowing Blu-rays to build.
post #10877 of 11583 Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
I don't mind paying for it, as long as it is reliable. I want to be just popping Blu-rays in and clicking the rip button to build my digital library. I am looking for suggestions for this...
I used MakeMKV to rip all of my DVDs and BRs and for the most part it's worked flawlessly. When it has run into issues, mostly with new movies, an update to MakeMKV has taken care of the problem.

Bonus - it's been in free beta for years, you just need to grab a new code when one expires, available on their site. When they do start charging for it, assuming they do, I'll happily pay for it.
post #10878 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Frame Packed 3D to SBS 3D

Looking for a way to convert Frame Packed 3D iso or mkv to SBS 3D mkv for playback using Emby on a Win7 Pro HTPC which doesn't support Frame Packed 3D due to the limitations of Windows Windows 8 will do it but not 7 and I used this machine for running Ceton Echo Extenders which do not work with a GUI on Windows 8.

AFAIK, makeMKV will not do the conversion. I ran across Blu-ray Ripper in a google search but hadn't heard much about it. Is this possible with Handbrake? I haven't used it in a while so I don't know.

TIA

post #10879 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Looking for a way to convert Frame Packed 3D iso or mkv to SBS 3D mkv for playback using Emby on a Win7 Pro HTPC which doesn't support Frame Packed 3D due to the limitations of Windows Windows 8 will do it but not 7 and I used this machine for running Ceton Echo Extenders which do not work with a GUI on Windows 8.

AFAIK, makeMKV will not do the conversion. I ran across Blu-ray Ripper in a google search but hadn't heard much about it. Is this possible with Handbrake? I haven't used it in a while so I don't know.

TIA
Handbrake & MakeMKV: no. They see only the main 2D video stream.

I remember trying an experiment with ffmpeg once and I recall it worked, but (1) it is not a simple utility and has a zillion options, and (2) it was exceedingly slow at this task.

I haven't used it for years, but DVDFab had all sorts of format conversions. You might check the specs to see.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #10880 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Looking for a way to convert Frame Packed 3D iso or mkv to SBS 3D MKV for playback using Emby on a Win7 Pro HTPC which doesn't support Frame Packed 3D due to the limitations of Windows Windows 8 will do it but not 7 and I used this machine for running Ceton Echo Extenders which do not work with a GUI on Windows 8.

TIA
Use DVDFab to convert is SBS then use mkvtoolnix to convert the .m2ts file to mkv
post #10881 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Handbrake & MakeMKV: no. They see only the main 2D video stream.

I remember trying an experiment with ffmpeg once and I recall it worked, but (1) it is not a simple utility and has a zillion options, and (2) it was exceedingly slow at this task.

I haven't used it for years, but DVDFab had all sorts of format conversions. You might check the specs to see.

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Use DVDFab to convert is SBS then use mkvtoolnix to convert the .m2ts file to mkv
I'll check out DVDFab.

Is it shareware?

If I get this strait, DVDFab doesn't create an mkv so I have to remux using mkvtoolnixGUI?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

post #10882 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
I'll check out DVDFab.

Is it shareware? Paid software

If I get this strait, DVDFab doesn't create an mkv so I have to remux using mkvtoolnixGUI? They have been adding functionalities all the time, let take a look to see if you straight convert to MKV without the need of mkvtoolnix.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10883 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
If I get this strait, DVDFab doesn't create an mkv so I have to remux using mkvtoolnixGUI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DVDFab will output to MKV

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #10884 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea85 View Post
I am trying to find a reliable software to rip my blu rays in 1:1 lossless format. I am not concerned at all about compression or saving space in any way. I want 100% quality, 100% of the time.

I tried Pavtube Bytecopy and the first Blu-ray I tried (Star Wars: Episode III) ended up failing. The rip gets to 99% but then gets an AVConverterProcess has failed error. I contacted their support and was told "No software can do encoding 100% of the time." I am wondering if that is true and if not, is there a better software solution? I don't mind paying for it, as long as it is reliable. I want to be just popping Blu-rays in and clicking the rip button to build my digital library. I am looking for suggestions for this...
I've used 'free' MakeMKV for 3 years to rip 525 blurays. I think I've only had 2-3 that wouldn't work.

There were maybe 10-20 that failed on the first attempt. After cleaning (sometimes multiple times) 'brand new', blurays, all but a few could not be ripped.

MakeMKV is free, so go ahead and give it a try!

I don't remember which activation code I use every few months or so, but it should be in one of the links below:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewto...&t=8764#p37574

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

If those don't work try google.

Living Room: Denon X3600H, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, Shield, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2.Bedroom: Marantz SR6013, 5.1.2 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, LG OLED6B8, Xbox 360, Roku3, RPi2-RasPlex, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #10885 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM

I was leaning towards DVDFab so far. I used MakeMKV, but with it being freeware, it was a little bit confusing to utilize. With DVDFab, I just selected MKV Passthrough and that SEEMS to have just ripped the entire movie in a lossless format. I am sure there are some more experienced ripping experts out there that could clarify though. Is there a particular setting or method or instruction I can follow for MakeMKV to do the same? I don't mind paying for DVDFab though...so either way. I just love the idea of popping in a disc and clicking a button to rip it to the HDD in perfect 1:1 quality; eject; rinse; repeat.
post #10886 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Has anyone tried to rip a Blu-ray purchased from a Redbox Kiosk? I'm curious if those are just old rental discs or if they are retail versions.
post #10887 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Has anyone tried to rip a Blu-ray purchased from a Redbox Kiosk? I'm curious if those are just old rental discs or if they are retail versions.
Some are rental specials, but not all.

-Bill
Ken.F likes this.

post #10888 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After ripped to my NAS via Make MKV, I am not able to play back through XBox One (Synology media server). Do I need to perform extra steps during ripping or need to convert to mkv? Any app that can make the file easily readable via Xbox One?
post #10889 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Illegal?

I haven't tried to rip from Redbox, but I have, (for experiments sake) ripped a Bluray from DVD.com successfully... and then deleted it.

Living Room: Denon X3600H, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, Shield, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2.Bedroom: Marantz SR6013, 5.1.2 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, LG OLED6B8, Xbox 360, Roku3, RPi2-RasPlex, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #10890 of 11583 Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Illegal?
I'm not asking about ripping rentals. Redbox also sells discs at the kiosk. I wasn't sure if they were just getting rid of old rental discs or if they were new retail versions.
Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page