Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5012Likes

post #11611 of 11620 Old 06-18-2020, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
<snip>

I hope you've enjoy my reply which is about ten times longer than it should be. Feel free to PM me regarding the subject of this thread, that's all I can say :-)

I read that post in this guy's voice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luis.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2744528  
aaronwt and alexcoluzzi32 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11620 Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
Hello. Please excuse me for making this very quick question: Being that MakeMKV seems to be a big favorite, does it makes exact 1:1 copy of BluRays/DVD? I don't mind how big the size, I just need a perfect accurate copy of the physical disc so there won't be any difference between the ripped version and the original disc. I'm planning to back up some concerts I have on DVD and BluRay and then stream them to my TV. Thank you very much!
Short version ... what @alexcoluzzi32 said is true but it should be added that the MKV format is simply a container, and you can "repackage" the Blu-ray in MKV format and also have 1:1. MKV is more universally compatible than BDMV.

Jeff
obonillaf likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #11613 of 11620 Old 06-18-2020, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcoluzzi32 View Post
Yes sir, go to File > Backup, click the decrypt files checkbox once, it will stick, choose your target direction and hit OK. The output of this action is a BDMV folder containing the entire contents of the 4K UHD blu ray including menus (mkv format no menus) Dolby Atmos (mkv format has issues with Atmos in some situations?) and dual layer Dolby Vision HDR (mkv format you get one layer and I think that takes some work).

So there you have it, if you are down with the BDMV format this is for you!

I know VLC can play BDMV folders most of the time. I personally use Infuse Pro 6.0 on my Apple TV 4K to stream BDMV full rips from the shared drives on a Windows 10 Pro box to the ATV4K to my Sony A1E OLED TV, it's super easy and I never seem to find the time to learn about Plex servers and Nvidia shields. My Infuse setup I loose the bitstream audio bye bye atmos but the lossless 7.1 Dolby TruHD stays, hmm is it lossless in this case dunno. Pretty sure Dolby Vision is not being passed not sure who is at fault there Infuse or the ATV4K, it's not the Sony TV's fault I know that.

The ultimate, in my opinion, demo of what a BDMV folder is all about can be shown very easily. Procure an Oppo 203 or 205, they're dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon (if you're the owner of eBay or Amazon LOL), plug in an external hard drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Oppo, navigate through the Oppo interface to the ****, fill in the blank named screen, is it network? Don't remember it's easy to find, choose movies, click on the icon that represents your hard drive voila, now click on a BDMV folder created by a full disc backup using MakeMKV and 4K UHD Blu Ray, the movie starts playing the trailers if present. Bring up the disc menu and do something with it, it'll work! Oh yeah bring up the disc menu and change the surround format fro ATMOS to something else and watch your AVR report the change = sick! Oh forgot, when the folder starts playing watch for what I call the double Dolby Vision shuffle. On the left side of your TV out pops the Dolby Vision logo then right after on the rigth side of your TV screen it's a bird, it's a plane holy smokes it's another Dolby Vision logo that looks almost like the first one LOL. This is the Oppo an the Sony doing their DV handshake. On this model Sony, which used to be their flagship TV and the first OLED they offered? Think so. They apparently forgot to add the chipset to support new features like Dolby Vision so as the story goes Sony because their Sony told Dolby to re engineer DV so the source device did the heavy lifting and get Sony off the hook which allowed them to say sure we support DV from the player.

That's all great and stuff but Dolby called up Oppo and said Hey Oppo what's happening? So listen you know this DV code we're testing on your player right now, well we kinda sorta need you to make a few changes, you know back to the drawing board type stuff, yeah like NOT minor changes uh huh yes, yes well yeah oh you got the spec then great, anyways we need you to add support for what we call "player led DV" and something else but mainly this player Led meaning your box does all the work and the Sony gets off Scott free and we blame the delay on the Oppo > Sony DV squarely on you guys. Yeah we're um sort of a covering up Sony's mistake and we need to play catch up yeah so we'll see you at the usual time. Oh and can you uh come in on a Sundayyyyyy too? Thanks Oppo!"

So back to drawing board for Oppo they're like WTF we gotta redo DV processing for one ****ing brand of TV. Oh yeah ok well yes they are the world leader and make the best TVs. Even God has one in fact, yeah the 77" A1E he's upgrading this year to an 114" A9H with the X1 Ultimate Extreme Fajita CPU, yeah he's a beta tester. Satan gets the LG and Trump gets the Samsung, burn!

Wow I need some sleep. Right so most of that is true Oppo got the shaft but eventually reworked their DV handling and it's sick because they're Oppo and they are the greatest. BDMV right, so not many devices out there support BDMV, look at the specs on most hardware media players you will be hard pressed to find BDMV. **** even Sony's fancy new 1100ES UHD player whoops, no BDMV file format support sorry suckers. The Panasonic 820 that's God's gift to 4k UHD enthusiasts, any BDMV support? NOT. Do any of the 820 fanboys know what BDMV is? lol. BDMV support costs money, Oppo paid it, so it's the best hidden feature on those players and for disc rippers, archivists excuse me, it's the best way ever to demo what it is we do I forgot to finish. Play a bdmv rip of Saving Private Ryan now put the SPR disc in the tray and cue that up. OK now stop playback of your rip, cool. Now hit play to start the disc: woah what's that say on the screen "do you want to resume where you left off?" WTF I just put the disc in! You did yes but the Oppo can't tell the difference between the disc and the rip, why? Two words: Bit Perfect.

I hope you've enjoy my reply which is about ten times longer than it should be. Feel free to PM me regarding the subject of this thread, that's all I can say :-)

You're much too kind. I can't express how much I appreciate your thoroughly answer and taking the time to help me with such a complete guide. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11614 of 11620 Old 06-18-2020, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Short version ... what @alexcoluzzi32 said is true but it should be added that the MKV format is simply a container, and you can "repackage" the Blu-ray in MKV format and also have 1:1. MKV is more universally compatible than BDMV.

Jeff
Thank you for your advice! I think all my devices can read MKV files. I don't know how well those devices would handle big files though. I'll give a try. Best regards and thanks,
post #11615 of 11620 Old 06-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
... I don't know how well those devices would handle big files though....
One bit at a time.
aaronwt likes this.

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #11616 of 11620 Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Are you guys ripping your UHD to MKV?
post #11617 of 11620 Old 06-28-2020, 02:12 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 10000 Post(s)
Liked: 6662
I am.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11618 of 11620 Old 06-28-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

Yes I am. Watch them through the shield pro.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11619 of 11620 Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
yep

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one, FireTV Stick 4k
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon x3300w, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
post #11620 of 11620 Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Yep, I'm ripping one right now!

Here's a dedicated thread for ripping UHD to MKV:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...tions-how.html

Check out the first post. You may need a new LibreDrive that is "UHD friendly".
timmo likes this.

Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Shield, FireStick 4K, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2. Bedroom: Denon 3600, 5.1.4 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD x 2, LG OLED65B8, Xbox 360, Roku Ultra, Shield, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70's, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , bluray , computer , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , Nvidia , rip , ripper , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page