Pivos AIOS HD Media Center: The *Semiofficial* Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1141 of 1156 Old 10-16-2018, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
Depends on what you need and how much you are willing to pay.

If you are on a budget I would go mibox (global edition) licensed Android TV, HD audio bitstreaming and 4K. If you are not on a budget then Shield TV.

If you are ok with heavy DIY (though wont not really recommend) you can try your luck with a cheapo unlicensed Android phone OS S912 box from Amazon for which there exist a pure Kodi (flavor) Linux port, flash it and forget about Android.

Last time I checked Roku solutions playing from SMB wasn't supported so it wasn't a viable option for me.

Looks like Shield does not play ISO's?

I have a lot in ISO format.
Both shield and mibox play iso without an issue using Kodi (BR iso plays fine via title menu and even HDVD iso plays fine by browsing into the iso and selecting the feature track).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1156 Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Looks like Shield does not play ISO's?

I have a lot in ISO format.
Pretty sure it depends on what you're using in Android to play everything you have. You can use Plex, Kodi, whatever you like that does everything you want. My Roku supports Plex directly, my Android media player can use either one in the Android versions so the Sheild should do it with something and that other box mentioned should do it too, you just have to research them and see what everyone uses that does everything you need. Like I said pretty sure Plex can play them, pretty sure Kodi does too, and there's always stand alone players that can play them if you don't care about all the cool icons and descriptions that come with Plex or Kodi. I've run SMB shares before in Kodi but I had to have it enabled and a SMB program that could feed it to Android. There are all kinds of options from dirt cheap and workable to expensive but pretty much plug and everything plays like the Sheild. I'm very happy with my Roku ultra running Plex, it plays all my videos smoothly and it's fast enough plus I only paid about 70 bucks. I do want to play with a Sheild some time when I get a deal and spare cash. Do some research, there are quite a few dedicated Android forums that cover all of the media players out and what's best for the money or best of all of them with cost not a object.

Last edited by Dartman; 10-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.
post #1143 of 1156 Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What happened to Pivos? Did they shut down? Noticed that their web site (http://www.pivosgroup.com/) and forums site (http://www.pivosforums.com) do not come up anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1156 Old 01-28-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well no activity here since Oct last year so my bet is the tech kept moving forward and they bailed but who knows except probably asoror. If he pops in here when he sees a post maybe he'll fill us in. I did finally buy a Sheild to go with my Roku ultra seeing how they had some really good deals on better bundles during and just after the holidays and it's as good as they say but if you're on a budget get a Roku ultra as it'll play most things great and supports Plex and all the other pay and free streaming services. The Sheild supports pretty much anything that will run on Android and can play all kinds of games and plays game emulators versions of all kinds of old game systems because it still has the fastest cpu and gpu of any of the Android TV or media player boxes. I think they both play things they support great, MAYBE the sheild looks slightly better hard to tell but I do have a 4k hdr TV now and both play smoothly and look awesome on it. My poor Pivos started having issues outputting 5.1 sound and sometimes the playback was getting choppy so I moved on. It was a great unit in its day with excellent support though and it was a lot of fun to play with.
post #1145 of 1156 Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Still running my Aios w/o any issue for several years I've added units so now have 3, two of them at home and one at work.

Although it may seem odd to others, I prefer the old school yellow/black text based menu that I have on my original unit but the other two units are newer firmware and I'd like to if possible revert the other two units to what I would assume is the older firmware to get rid of these dam thumbnails and go with a text based menu.

the firmware links i've come across here are dead, google search turned up blanks, any suggestions?

or secondary question, is it possible that my other unit's firmware is fine I just need to change a setting to get rid of these silly thumbnails?
Its the thumbnails that I really hate, on the text version I can scroll through dozens of files quickly and easily, but with the thumbnails navigation is quite a bit more difficult.

any help is appreciated.
post #1146 of 1156 Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spimothy View Post
Still running my Aios w/o any issue for several years I've added units so now have 3, two of them at home and one at work.

Although it may seem odd to others, I prefer the old school yellow/black text based menu that I have on my original unit but the other two units are newer firmware and I'd like to if possible revert the other two units to what I would assume is the older firmware to get rid of these dam thumbnails and go with a text based menu.

the firmware links i've come across here are dead, google search turned up blanks, any suggestions?

or secondary question, is it possible that my other unit's firmware is fine I just need to change a setting to get rid of these silly thumbnails?
Its the thumbnails that I really hate, on the text version I can scroll through dozens of files quickly and easily, but with the thumbnails navigation is quite a bit more difficult.

any help is appreciated.
After some further reading it appears that I "should" be able to easily switch from Thumbnail view to list view and I'll try again when I get home tonight but I looked pretty thoroughly last night and didn't find that option. It has to be an easy switch but for the life of me I couldn't find it in settings, am I blind? < this would resolve my issues with not being able to locate a firmware update, I am able to play multiple formats (pretty much everything I've thrown at it) so i'm still pleased, but i'm frustrated with the unit that insists on the thumbnail view, which is terrible when you have a directory full of files.
post #1147 of 1156 Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed the main Pivos website is offline, so I created this page (pivosaios.tk) which contains links to the officially released firmware for the AIOS since I couldn't find it online anywhere. I hope it helps someone.
post #1148 of 1156 Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My Aios is still going strong, though with one issue. Once smb v1 was disabled in Windows 10, the Aios can't access the network shares anymore. Installed Plex, but it won't play the files correctly. Only way to play any file, I have to either have them all in one folder or in sub-folders. If there are ten files in a folder with one sub-folder, one of files will not play. It says "invalid file". Tried all the media servers available, including the Windows Media Player and they all have the same problem. I never needed a server before the smb v1 disabling, so my Aios may have always done it done that way.

Using the R23 Firmware.
post #1149 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Liked: 13
I have converted my iso files to non-iso in order to open up options to me.

HD Audio and a great picture are important to me as well as a great, ready to go user interface.

With that being said, in mid 2019, what would be a good replacement unit that will be hard wired to ethernet and accessing a networked Synology Drive?
post #1150 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3mall View Post
I noticed the main Pivos website is offline, so I created this page (pivosaios.tk) which contains links to the officially released firmware for the AIOS since I couldn't find it online anywhere. I hope it helps someone.

Thank you for doing this. Maybe Aessor will allow you to post the non official firmware versions as I use them and think they are so much better!
post #1151 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
My Aios is still going strong, though with one issue. Once smb v1 was disabled in Windows 10, the Aios can't access the network shares anymore. Installed Plex, but it won't play the files correctly. Only way to play any file, I have to either have them all in one folder or in sub-folders. If there are ten files in a folder with one sub-folder, one of files will not play. It says "invalid file". Tried all the media servers available, including the Windows Media Player and they all have the same problem. I never needed a server before the smb v1 disabling, so my Aios may have always done it done that way.

Using the R23 Firmware.

I am using the latest unofficial firmware. Windows 10 and a Synology networked drive. I have no issues accessing netowrked files via SMB
post #1152 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you can afford it I'd say get a Shield as it does pretty much everything AND can play games and other things too. If your on a budget get a Roku Ultra and it should be able to do most things you need.
post #1153 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I am using the latest unofficial firmware. Windows 10 and a Synology networked drive. I have no issues accessing netowrked files via SMB
With smbv1 disabled, the Aios won't connect to the network shares on my W10 PC. If I enable SMB, the shares work.
post #1154 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for doing this. Maybe Aessor will allow you to post the non official firmware versions as I use them and think they are so much better!
Yeah, if there's other firmware I've missed, please send them my way so I can get them listed on the pivosaios.tk site.
post #1155 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
With smbv1 disabled, the Aios won't connect to the network shares on my W10 PC. If I enable SMB, the shares work.
Does this help? https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/...windows-server
post #1156 of 1156 Old 06-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No, it did not help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming