Media Streaming from DLink NAS to Samsung TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have recently purchased a Samsung UN55ES8000F 55" Smart TV. I am trying to figure out how to Media Stream from my DLINK DNS-325 NAS through Samsung Allshare on my TV. My NAS has the most up-to-date firmware 1.03 and I enabled the UpNP AV Server. Also using RAID 0. I have my NAS networked to my PC and TV. When I attempt to read my shared drives onto my TV, the TV recognizes both my PC and my NAS, but the icon for my NAS has a question mark and all the folders are empty. My PC has no problems at all streaming files and video (except for reading MKV files through Allshare, but that is a limitation with Allshare). I contacted DLINK and they told me it is a Samsung issue. I contacted Samsung and they told me that Allshare cannot read off a NAS. I'm stumped and before I go out and purchase a media player, can someone provide input into what I may be doing wrong here? I also have a DLINK Boxee Box for my other TV and it has no problems streaming video from the NAS.

Thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I've read on here a number of times that Allshare is garbage and to try Mezzmo. I don't have any experience with either, just regurgitating what I've read.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 546
I don't have or want the latest version of Samsung All share, it was and is total crap. I do have Mezzmo and like it quite well, but don't use it anymore since I think trying to stream to a display is like beating your head against the wall -- it feels good when you stop. with excellent streamers out there that will stream whatever you throw at it for well under $100 I refuse to waste my time trying to get bastardized DLNA equipment to do what it is claimed it will do. Most manufacturers cheap out on the license and the DNLA client will only support a handful of formats.

You can try Mezzmo for free for a few weeks, but I'd put the money I spend on it toward a real streamer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a DNS-320 and a UN55D8000 and it is working, just tried for you. Try another kind of file.

Orlando C. Smith
post #5 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The problem you have is down to DLNA and how the vendors butcher it. Samsung only support their own in house DLNA server Allshare which is a colossal pile of crap. The TV can work with other DLNA servers but this usually requires some degree of support from that DLNA server.

The brand of UPnP/DLNA server using by D-Link is a bit of a mystery, it's not the usual Twonky server. It is possible to install Twonky on the DNS-325 and that would resolve the problem.

Before doing that try disabling the D-Link UPnP/DLNA server and see if you cant set it up again in the hopes that clears out whatever issue is affecting it.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Serviio is another option, it is free and works on my Sammy (PLEX is another free option). These DLNA servers will transcode stuff that you TV can't play if you want. Hardwired ethernet is the way to go, wireless will likely give you disconnect problems.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM

What kind of video quality will serviio and Plex provide? Do they support high bitrate rips of blu rays including 3D? Or will it end up looking like Netflix streaming (yuck)?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 546
It depends on your computer. If you have an old slower computer it will not be able to keep up. My quad core system with lots of memory and a fast hard drive keeps up OK, but my older system did not.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM

I just received my new UN55F7500 and am in the process of setting it up. I have a hard drive on the wired network (TV is on the wired network) attached to the USB/DLNA port of a WNDR4000 router. I'm currently using this drive to stream videos to a SONY streamer box attached to a 7 year old Sharp 37 inch LCD. This path works fine. When I attempt to run videos on the Samsung, I can see the files without any problem. As soon as I select one of them, the screen blanks and says "loading" in the upper right corner, and goes no further. As a reality check, I brought the hard drive up from the basement to the media room (much more elegant term than TV room) and hooked it up the the USB port on the Samsung. Everything worked just fine. There is a 3D 1080P copy of Avatar on the drive and it played perfectly. Any ideas about who I should point my finger at?
post #10 of 17 Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
I suspect it is related to the DLNA service on your router. Unfortunately, not all devices are the same when it comes to DLNA. What works with the Sharp may not with the Samsung (Samsungs can be finicky). You may want to play with the router settings a bit. If you had a computer that you could run Serviio or Plex on, you may want to try, they are both proven to work well with Samsung TVs.

Otherwise, I supposed there could also be some sort of network buffering issue on the Samsung that is not a problem on USB. In that case, a low bitrate video should still work over network. That is just a guess.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I suspect it is related to the DLNA service on your router. Unfortunately, not all devices are the same when it comes to DLNA. What works with the Sharp may not with the Samsung (Samsungs can be finicky). You may want to play with the router settings a bit. If you had a computer that you could run Serviio or Plex on, you may want to try, they are both proven to work well with Samsung TVs.

Otherwise, I supposed there could also be some sort of network buffering issue on the Samsung that is not a problem on USB. In that case, a low bitrate video should still work over network. That is just a guess.

It's not, actually, working with the Sharp, The Sharp is 7 - 8 years old and just barely has HDMI (1 input). I'm running it thru a Sony media streamer, which was the only one that could do DLNA with the router, reliably. I heard that Sony was one of the sponsors of the DLNA standard. I have to replace my old DVD player with a 3D Blue-ray unit (don't really know why - I tend to download my movies) and the Sony BDP-S5100 speaks DLNA. This is a way to do an end run around the Samsung problem - just feed it a pre-digested media stream into one of its HDMI inputs.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Here's what I do with with DNS-315, Skifta (DLNA app on Android) and Samsung Smart TV UE40EH5300

I am unable to access the content on DNS-315 by browsing from AllShare. Skifta can browse the content on DNS-315 over DLNA and can also see the TV on the network. So I use Skifta to select what to play and set the TV as the player. Allows me to use my phone / tablet as a remote.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-27-2013, 03:44 PM

I have just got the UE50F6670SB and i have the DNS-325 Nas that worked on My old Samsung TV

But i have found out that This nas uses SMB and not DNLA

So i need to find out what Nas works so i can get a new Nas enclosure 

post #14 of 17 Old 05-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Ok a update I spoke to Dlink and the 325 is a Big fat NO NO yes the 320 does work on some Movie formats

So after a lot of internet Trolling I found a Qnap TS221 2 bay nas and all I can say is WOW

It has two drives Drive one stores the server info but the drives can be Hot swopped so changing the drives are easy

they have loads of apps and it supports twonky and Plex but I use the Allshare as it works I have had no issues other then spinning up of the HD some times times out the TV 3 seconds

But just picking the file again sorts that out

The only down side I had was switching two the Drive from the DLink they said it should work with out any issue

How wrong was I lost a shed load of data

post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 0
I have a DNS 320 Dlink NAS and a Samsung LE40D580 Smart TV. I don't know what Allshare is supposed to do but I stream music (mp3 format only - does not work with m4a or wma) and video (avi and mp4 formats) without it. As long as TV and NAS are connected to your router and upnp is enabled on the NAS, you should see your drive on your Samsung TV if your cycle through available sources ie HDMI1, HDMI2 etc. You can then navigate through movies, music or photos.
Sorry if this doesn't help anyone having problems as the above isn't exactly insightful or technical, but just so you know it is possible to stream from a NAS 320 to a 4+ year old Samsung TV, as some are suggesting that its not.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I used Mezzmo with all three of my Sammys with out a problem before I went the way of the media streaming box.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #17 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM

The DNS320 is a completely different unit I was going to get one, but was told by D-Link this was the latest
How wrong were they
I have moved to qnap now and I had noticed D-Link are selling these off
my Qnap works like a charm any one on a budget check out the buffalo 2 bay they work as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000 , Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi