*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #3271 of 3291 Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a question for those using their Roku with an Harmony One remote.. You know how there is a custom button for Netflix and a couple of other Roku apps on the Harmony. Is there a way to make one for other apps so they would just be on the remote screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3291 Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I have a question for those using their Roku with an Harmony One remote.. You know how there is a custom button for Netflix and a couple of other Roku apps on the Harmony. Is there a way to make one for other apps so they would just be on the remote screen?
No, only the short cut buttons on the roku remote are available, no other apps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3273 of 3291 Old 12-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
No, only the short cut buttons on the roku remote are available, no other apps.

It was worth a try. I got the same from the Harmony One thread. Thank you for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3291 Old 01-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody here use the SiriusXM app on their ROKU. I have a question about favorites. Is there a way to change the order of them? It automatically puts the newest favorite at the beginning. I would like to re order them. I put a bunch in, in reverse order, to get what I needed. Then realized I forgot a couple.
post #3275 of 3291 Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 49
my roku 3 is severely crushing my blacks. I have a new LG oled 55b7a and am using the roku to stream hbo, starz, showtime, etc... The picture coming from the roku is very dark and i have to crank up my brightness for any shadow detail. If i watch netflix on the roku and swith to my smart tv netflix, the roku is significantly darker but the are all running the same picture mode. Any ideas?
post #3276 of 3291 Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
my roku 3 is severely crushing my blacks. I have a new LG oled 55b7a and am using the roku to stream hbo, starz, showtime, etc... The picture coming from the roku is very dark and i have to crank up my brightness for any shadow detail. If i watch netflix on the roku and swith to my smart tv netflix, the roku is significantly darker but the are all running the same picture mode. Any ideas?
Go into the PICTURES setting on your LG tv, and turn "Energy Saving" to OFF.
post #3277 of 3291 Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Go into the PICTURES setting on your LG tv, and turn "Energy Saving" to OFF.
thanks but energy savings is already set to off. I have a cable box, roku and the apps on the smart tv. The roku is the only one crushing blacks.
post #3278 of 3291 Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
thanks but energy savings is already set to off. I have a cable box, roku and the apps on the smart tv. The roku is the only one crushing blacks.
Check the black level setting on the TV for that input. Toggle it to the other position, low/normal.

post #3279 of 3291 Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have the same "dark" problem.
Roku -> Denon x3400h -> LG OLED55E7P
Other sources appear fine, Oppo 203, Tivo Roamio, Magnavox 513. They all use the same HDMI input (#2) on the LG.
I'll do more checking on the Denon, though so far I haven't found anything set up incorrectly.

Last edited by dundakitty; 01-27-2018 at 06:34 AM.
post #3280 of 3291 Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundakitty View Post
... They all use the same HDMI input (#2) on the LG. ...
Not that this is going to help solve the Roku problem much at all, but that is one of the governing factors.

Although the new HDR stuff has forced Roku to open up some more settings on those things, it is not the most configurable device.

I also had to go into my display to adjust the HDMI Normal/Low (16-235 / 0-255) setting and try out Game mode (to bypass the DNIe video processing chip), etc. as I was trying to get things set up. But I have my Roku on their own input, with one exception (in the basement for the wife's 24" laundry/treadmill TV).

If each source has it's own display port with independent settings, you get to use both the source settings and the display settings to adjust the picture.

If all the sources go to one display port, then you have to set the display port to one standard (or set-up picture modes and remember to switch) and hope that you can get all of the sources to output the same standard.

So if everything else is on one standard, and the Roku insists on another - it's always going to be the odd ball out.

v/r,
C-F
post #3281 of 3291 Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Are you using it with a receiver to TV or straight through TV only?
post #3282 of 3291 Old 02-04-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Apparently the RokuGuide's Speedtest private channel (https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/speed-test/) is now non-functional. Does anyone know of a similar channel?

(Also asking in the Roku Ultra thread, will share here if I find one).

v/r,
C-F
post #3283 of 3291 Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does anybody here use the SiriusXM app on their ROKU. I have a question about favorites. Is there a way to change the order of them? It automatically puts the newest favorite at the beginning. I would like to re order them. I put a bunch in, in reverse order, to get what I needed. Then realized I forgot a couple.
The answer is yes. I happened to log in and listen at the desktop one day. I was able to resort them there. Then I logged out and back in of my account on the ROKU. Just as I want them.
bwaldron likes this.
post #3284 of 3291 Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question that I also posted on the forums for my Plex Server and AVR. When ripping my Blurays to my server I do so using MKV. I have also converted a couple from MKV to MP4 using Handbrake. I only ripped the DTS MA audio format. When I play back from the Roku III my AVR is only showing as dolby digital. Is there a setting on the Roku that may be doing this?
post #3285 of 3291 Old 09-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a question that I also posted on the forums for my Plex Server and AVR. When ripping my Blurays to my server I do so using MKV. I have also converted a couple from MKV to MP4 using Handbrake. I only ripped the DTS MA audio format. When I play back from the Roku III my AVR is only showing as dolby digital. Is there a setting on the Roku that may be doing this?

It seems age is catching up with me. It's the Roku that does not support the format.
post #3286 of 3291 Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Anyone have any idea on when the TiVo app will be available on Roku?
post #3287 of 3291 Old 03-31-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Anyone have any idea on when the TiVo app will be available on Roku?
^^ Still waiting!
Dave Harper likes this.
post #3288 of 3291 Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

When I go to the Roku 3 inpu t on my TV it automatically is trying to install new channels. I obviously cancel, but it's a PIA. Is there somewhere to turn this function off? Another issue is I had to remove the ROKU channel. I would go to the ROKU input on the TV and would find it streaming something!!
post #3289 of 3291 Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I go to the Roku 3 inpu t on my TV it automatically is trying to install new channels. I obviously cancel, but it's a PIA. Is there somewhere to turn this function off? Another issue is I had to remove the ROKU channel. I would go to the ROKU input on the TV and would find it streaming something!!
What do you mean it "automatically is trying to install new channels"? Do you mean new Roku channels? You know if you pick them from the Roku channel store, they'll install on EVERY Roku in your household related to that email address. Or, it could be it's just updating channels you already have. Did you buy the Roku used? If so, do a factory reset on it otherwise it's going to still be on the original owners Roku account.

If it "streams by itself", do you live in an apartment building or something like that, where maybe a neighbors Roku remote is on the same frequency of yours, and could be causing your Roku to mimic theirs?

Here's the manual, you could try re-pairing the remote to the Roku after doing that factory reset: https://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku3-QSG.pdf
post #3290 of 3291 Old 04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
What do you mean it "automatically is trying to install new channels"? Do you mean new Roku channels? You know if you pick them from the Roku channel store, they'll install on EVERY Roku in your household related to that email address. Or, it could be it's just updating channels you already have. Did you buy the Roku used? If so, do a factory reset on it otherwise it's going to still be on the original owners Roku account.

If it "streams by itself", do you live in an apartment building or something like that, where maybe a neighbors Roku remote is on the same frequency of yours, and could be causing your Roku to mimic theirs?

Here's the manual, you could try re-pairing the remote to the Roku after doing that factory reset: https://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku3-QSG.pdf

As for the streaming I bought them both new and we are in a single family home. Now that you say that they are both controlled by Harmony 1s and are literally in rooms above each other,. I'll have to look into that. The only thing was it only started about 1 month ago and only happens on the Roku channel.

As for the adding the channels, it keeps trying to add channels that we never had. I am the only one who adds channels.
post #3291 of 3291 Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As for the streaming I bought them both new and we are in a single family home. Now that you say that they are both controlled by Harmony 1s and are literally in rooms above each other,. I'll have to look into that. The only thing was it only started about 1 month ago and only happens on the Roku channel.

As for the adding the channels, it keeps trying to add channels that we never had. I am the only one who adds channels.
I think Roku sometimes pushes channels, even when you yourself haven't installed any. So, maybe it's related to that. It certainly shouldn't happen every single time you switch to it on your tv though.

As for the Roku channel itself, I have that along with a Roku 3, and I have never experienced it "streaming by itself". Somebody nearby must be kicking it off with their remote. Or, somehow another one of your remotes has a button press that causes the Roku to also activate when you are controlling another device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page