*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #2281 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Netflix is on Fire TV.

I said that it was available on almost every streaming device (or PVR or smart TV or BDP). Curiously, it's not available on the latest version of WD TV Live (their advertising states "you don't need another Netflix player" ).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Really the next Fire TV 2 needs 4K support. I am surprised they did not add it to the current gen Fire TV.

It's an expensive feature that almost none of their buyers would use. Perhaps the next model will have it, but expect it to cost more.

post #2283 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I said that it was available on almost every streaming device (or PVR or smart TV or BDP). Curiously, it's not available on the latest version of WD TV Live (their advertising states "you don't need another Netflix player" ).
What does WD have to do with anything? You said it was not on Fire TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
What does WD have to do with anything? You said it was not on Fire TV.

I did not.

post #2285 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One thing which should be pointed out is that Apple TV and Fire TV do not feature any other video rental/purchase services (other than YouTube, and you can't use its embedded UI to browse rentable/purchasable titles).
What does this mean?
post #2286 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
What does this mean?

Netflix is not a service from which you can rent or purchase streaming video. They still rent discs but that's not relevant to this discussion.

post #2287 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

lol weak

The bottom line there is plenty of video on Amazon Fire for rent. Do not mislead people.
post #2288 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Music works fine on my Roku devices. I do not have Spotify, but the premium version appears to work with Roku.

The more obvious alternative is the Amazon Fire TV, where you also need the premium version to use Spotify.

v/r,
C-F
Or the Fire Stick for $39
post #2289 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The bottom line there is plenty of video on Amazon Fire for rent. Do not mislead people.

Only from Amazon--that was my point. On Roku you have the choice to rent and/or purchase the latest titles available to rent or purchase on any media from multiple sources, including Amazon, VUDU, M-GO, Blockbuster, Google Play Video, etc. On Fire TV you can only rent or buy from Amazon Instant Video.

Moreover Amazon Instant Video does not give you access to the UltraViolet or Disney Movies Anywhere cloud video lockers. I own Prometheus (UV) and Wreck-It Ralph (Disney). I can watch Wreck-It Ralph on any device which has a VUDU, Google Play or iTunes app (I was wrong about ATV; you can play your Disney Movies Anywhere titles on it, though not UV); I can watch Prometheus on any device which has a VUDU, Flixster, Target Ticket, M-GO or CinemaNow app as well as on some other services. I can't watch either on Fire TV without buying or renting them from Amazon Instant Video and if I buy a title from AIV I can only watch it on devices with AIV apps.

post #2290 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3944 Post(s)
Liked: 3649
I think the point is that the Amazon Fire is first and foremost a sales tool to enable easy purchase of Amazon music, video and goods. If you want a wide variety of choices when it comes renting or purchasing video content there are much better options than the Amazon Fire. I had ordered one when it was first announced but when it finally came to shipping time I canceled as it seem rather limited to me, even at $20.
post #2291 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
No question the FireTV products are designed to enhance the Amazon eco-system. And they do a great job with it.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2292 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Someone pointed out to me that I'm wrong--Fire TV does have an app with which you can play your UltraViolet titles: Flixster. Flixster on Fire TV allows you to play your UV titles in standard definition and stereo sound (with probably PLII matrixed surround); in some other apps like VUDU and M-GO you can play them in HD with DD+ sound (if they are HD with surround sound). It's not optimal, but it's there. You do have to purchase your UV titles on some other platform.

Amazon really should "join" UltraViolet and let you play the things in your UV locker in the AIV app.

post #2293 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Someone pointed out to me that I'm wrong--Fire TV does have an app with which you can play your UltraViolet titles: Flixster. Flixster on Fire TV allows you to play your UV titles in standard definition and stereo sound (with probably PLII matrixed surround);
I don't even think it's SD 480p, and the bit rate feels less than 1 Mb/s. It's only marginally acceptable on a phone or tablet, but watching UV on the Fire TV/TV stick it's abhorrent.

If Amazon allowed us to install VUDU, I'd use their Fire TVs full time and sell off my Rokus.
post #2294 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
If Amazon allowed us to install VUDU, I'd use their Fire TVs full time and sell off my Rokus.

I expect to see Amazon "join" UV before they ever offer an alternative app for renting and buying video.

post #2295 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does this player compare to PopCorn Hour products?

After buying a Chameleon and realizing it doesn't play anything correctly, I've heard about this player a lot.

Is it able to play anything? 10 bit content included?

Regards.
post #2296 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Someone pointed out to me that I'm wrong--Fire TV does have an app with which you can play your UltraViolet titles: Flixster. Flixster on Fire TV allows you to play your UV titles in standard definition and stereo sound (with probably PLII matrixed surround); in some other apps like VUDU and M-GO you can play them in HD with DD+ sound (if they are HD with surround sound). It's not optimal, but it's there. You do have to purchase your UV titles on some other platform.

Amazon really should "join" UltraViolet and let you play the things in your UV locker in the AIV app.
Not "Optimal"? It sounds like it's pretty much worthless.

post #2297 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
How does this player compare to PopCorn Hour products?

After buying a Chameleon and realizing it doesn't play anything correctly, I've heard about this player a lot.

Is it able to play anything? 10 bit content included?

Regards.
Two completely different products. The popcorn hour is a real media player. I have several that I use to stream local HD content at home. My ROkus, FireTVs and other streaming devices I use for streaming apps. And they do a great job with those.

post #2298 of 3291 Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No question the FireTV products are designed to enhance the Amazon eco-system. And they do a great job with it.
Agreed!

Previously if I wanted the best quality in rented video I would use Vudu if the title was available. Now I look first on Amazon Instant on the Fire TV where the 10 Mbps 1080P looks better (at least to me) than 9 Mbps Vudu HDX.

I am renting a lot more Amazon content as result.

Likewise if a title is on both Amazon Instant Prime and Netflix I will watch on Amazon on the Fire TV whereas before the Fire TV I would have used Netflix.
Gary J likes this.
post #2299 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4591 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I agree that streaming can't match BD - either in VQ or SQ. However, for many (the majority?), that doesn't matter a lot because streaming is much more convenient - and it's "good enough". Although there's no question it's more convenient, there's also no question that SQ and PQ are better with physical disk (BD for now). However, it's a matter of opinion if it's good enough or not.

Anyway, now back to the Roku3 discussion. I love mine for the convenience and huge library of items to watch/listen to -- I just don't favorably compare it to BD's.
I agree

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #2300 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I spent an enormous amount of time and money trying to find the ultimate perfect hi-def video and audio. It started with being in the HD-DVD camp way back when and then moving over to Blu-ray. Tweaking every little thing and never being completely satisfied. One day I just stopped. It just isn't worth the effort and when you want to watch a movie that's not in your physical library, it's available online. No waiting on it to come from Netflix. Is it as good as a Blu-ray in an OPPO? No but, "it's good enough" (actually pretty close now) and getting better everyday.

Now if we can just get a Roku (4?) that passes HD Audio so I can enjoy my Blu-rays on my server without having another box. I can dream.
post #2301 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I spent an enormous amount of time and money trying to find the ultimate perfect hi-def video and audio. It started with being in the HD-DVD camp way back when and then moving over to Blu-ray. Tweaking every little thing and never being completely satisfied. One day I just stopped. It just isn't worth the effort and when you want to watch a movie that's not in your physical library, it's available online. No waiting on it to come from Netflix. Is it as good as a Blu-ray in an OPPO? No but, "it's good enough" (actually pretty close now) and getting better everyday.

Now if we can just get a Roku (4?) that passes HD Audio so I can enjoy my Blu-rays on my server without having another box. I can dream.
Depending on many variables such as your home LAN, the player you're using, your internet service, your AV equipment, etc., etc., the video quality can be OK to very good - and the gap is closing, but it's still lacking when compared directly to BD's. The difference in sound quality of lossless codecs available for BD versus streaming from online is not even close. I, like you, have spent a pretty good amount of time, money and effort to get very good VQ and AQ in my home. I never use my TV's speakers - choosing to have the better SQ my AV system provides even when watching TV.

'Good enough' is very subjective- and everyone has their own opinion. But for me, it's virtually never "good enough" for watching movies and concerts.

Even so, I know that convenience will eventually win. It's too bad really.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2302 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
'Good enough' is very subjective- and everyone has their own opinion. But for me, it's virtually never "good enough" for watching movies and concerts.

It's more than good enough for the masses and catering to them is where the real money is. Discs will become AV-ophile niche products, similar to vinyl audio recordings and I'm unsure whether 4K discs will make it off the launch pad. We'll see.

post #2303 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question gentleman....

I have Roku 3's all over my house. I love how fast and easy it is to use. Now my wife wants to me wall-mount a TV in our formal living room and I'd like to have a Roku 3 in there as well.

I bought a recessed outlet similar to this one:

I was dry fitting everything together when I realized that the wall wart adapter from the Roku 3, when plugged in, will still stick out past the wall a good inch or so - not allowing me to use a slim fit wall mount for the TV.

Is there a different style (in-line?) or smaller adapter I could use, or am I forced to use the Roku stick in a situation like this.

Any ideas?

Last edited by tfurman1919; 01-03-2015 at 03:38 PM.
post #2304 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you already have the wall mount TV? It likely makes room in back for connections.
post #2305 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Do you already have the wall mount TV? It likely makes room in back for connections.

Yes I have this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...=2#description

it only gives 3/4" clearance which is not enough...I'd rather fogure out the Roku problem than get a wall mount that sticks out further if possible.
post #2306 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How about if you put the block on top the TV and run an extension?
post #2307 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM
UHD Addict

What about the Roku Streaming Stick? That just plugs into an HDMI port.

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick

post #2308 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What about the Roku Streaming Stick? That just plugs into an HDMI port.

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick
That is an option but the stick doesn't perform as well as the 3...
post #2309 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
How about if you put the block on top the TV and run an extension?
That is one possibility yes, but if the block is visible at all my wife will be cranky...it has to have WAF (wife approval factor)!

If I can find a 5.2v in line adapter I can just wrap up any extra cord and push the block "inside" the open space in the recessed outlet.

Last edited by tfurman1919; 01-03-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #2310 of 3291 Old 01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Would something like this help? Like Gary said, but still hiding it behind the TV.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Foot-Extensi...dp/B000CRFOMK/

v/r,
C-F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page