Sonos or other solution for streaming internet radio to wireless speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$2,700 in Sonos gear arrived today (Connect, Bridge, 4 Play5s, and a Sub), but now I don't know if it meets my needs.

While the gear was in transit, I was doing some reading and dismayed to learn Sonos does not support Pandora One and Spotify Radio, among other things.

I'm planning to use MOG for on-demand music due to its 320 bitrate, but as far as radio, MOG Radio does not meet my needs. I'm looking for a Pandora One type radio solution where you can use individual tracks as seeds.

My needs are this: Wireless speakers, Pandora One type radio, 192-320 bitrate quality, all controlled by an iPad. It seems like that should not be so difficult in 2013.

I'm wondering if my solution is to use a different source for streaming radio, and the Sonos line-in to make use of the Sonos wireless speakers. (Basically, the reverse of the Connect:Amp arrangement.)

First off, am I losing sound quality with the line-in arrangement?

Since I want to control the system with an iPad rather than a computer, I'm thinking I should be able to buy a good digital receiver that receives Pandora One, Spotify radio, and more, that also comes with an app to control the receiver via an iPad.

Does such a thing exist? If so, what do you recommend?

If not, what are my best options sticking with the Sonos speakers? Or going away from Sonos?

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 121
A networked receiver or AVR and connected computer is all you really needed. The only thing Sonos adds is ease of extending audio to different locations. Since you don't mention multiple zones or whole house audio you can probably do without.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sonos Sub Wireless Subwoofer Gloss , Sonos Connect Wireless Music Streaming System For Home Theater Or Stereo Zoneplayer90

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page