Bluesound Audio Streamer - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #31 of 428 Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'm picking up my Vault today. I will report back on how the setup goes. I will also give my initial report on the units operation. Can hardly wait to get started. Nothing like new gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 428 Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I'm picking up my Vault today. I will report back on how the setup goes. I will also give my initial report on the units operation. Can hardly wait to get started. Nothing like new gear.
Nice - I'm real jealous though! Report back and let us idolizers know what's it like and if it lives up to all its five-star reviews.
post #33 of 428 Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay so I picked up my Vault a week ago last Friday. Setup was as easy as it could possibly be. Didn't have to do the wifi setup, just simply followed the four step instructions for wired connection. That's the good.
Now the bad. The first two disc I loaded did not load. It spit them back out at me. The next two did load. To keep this short, out of 40 disc, only 19 loaded. Needless to say I was not happy. I called my dealer and he suggested cleaning the disc. I was already using a microfiber cloth. Then he tells me to contact Bluesound via email. I Did that and they responded on a Sunday morning with instructions on running diagnostics and forwarding the results to to them. Tuesday morning I was told the player had a hardware issue and to return it to the dealer. The Unit was replaced and now is working fine. I've loaded about 100 disc so far and only one failed and it has a rather nasty scratch on it.
When I play this unit through my paradigms it sounds like I'm playing CDs. As for the defective unit, sometimes things happen. I Was impressed with the way both my dealer and Bluesound handled the situation. I will update this thread later with more detail as I dig deeper into what the player can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 428 Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Do the analog output and optical output both work at the same time on a Bluesound Node?

I want to wire both and have the choice to do the conversion in the Bluesound with the option to do externally as well.
post #35 of 428 Old 03-15-2015, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Do the analog output and optical output both work at the same time on a Bluesound Node?

I want to wire both and have the choice to do the conversion in the Bluesound with the option to do externally as well.

Yes
post #36 of 428 Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bought a Node on 3/16/15. It's connected to a Denon AVR-4310ci via toslink. I listen to Tunein stations on their IOS app, and I use Bluetooth for all other streaming, mostly Sirius/XM.

The sound is great, and I'm confident that most people will be pleased. Either analog or digital connection gives a satisfactory sound.
post #37 of 428 Old 03-21-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hi All

I've got a 7.1 Home Theater system and I' thinking of getting the vault so that I can also enjoy 2 channel audio using my hi-rez downloads. How easy is it to connect the Vault to an existing pre-pro and amplifier and playing the music on an existing system? Or do I have to invest in a 2 channel audio only system like the NAD M12/M22 system to get the most out of the Vault? I would prefer to use my existing audio equipment before I look at buying new equipment specifically for 2-channel audio.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cal68

Cal68
post #38 of 428 Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi All

I've got a 7.1 Home Theater system and I' thinking of getting the vault so that I can also enjoy 2 channel audio using my hi-rez downloads. How easy is it to connect the Vault to an existing pre-pro and amplifier and playing the music on an existing system? Or do I have to invest in a 2 channel audio only system like the NAD M12/M22 system to get the most out of the Vault? I would prefer to use my existing audio equipment before I look at buying new equipment specifically for 2-channel audio.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cal68
Super easy.
If you already have the files stored somewhere you could easily "stream" them via the Node I would think and not need the Vault.

Anyone else care to chime in?
post #39 of 428 Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Super easy.
If you already have the files stored somewhere you could easily "stream" them via the Node I would think and not need the Vault.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Thanks for your response but it brings up another question in my mind! Sorry!

If I already have the files stored on a hard drive, couldn't I just connect the hard drive to my Oppo BluRay player directly and not need the Node? The only reason I was thinking of the Vault was because I believe that I can use it to directly rip my existing CD collection into the hard drive in the Vault. I guess I am not sure what purpose would be served by the Node.

I'm sorry for the dumb question but I am a newbie! Thanks for your patience.

Cal68

Cal68
post #40 of 428 Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response but it brings up another question in my mind! Sorry!

If I already have the files stored on a hard drive, couldn't I just connect the hard drive to my Oppo BluRay player directly and not need the Node? The only reason I was thinking of the Vault was because I believe that I can use it to directly rip my existing CD collection into the hard drive in the Vault. I guess I am not sure what purpose would be served by the Node.

I'm sorry for the dumb question but I am a newbie! Thanks for your patience.

Cal68
Possibly, depends on what resolution and what you want to do?

I'm looking forward to Tidal streaming HiRez through my Bluesound.
Right now I think it's only CD Rez.
post #41 of 428 Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had a buddy that downloaded some rips and sent the compressed files to me.
Downloaded, unzipped, and put them on a thumb drive.
Plugged this into the USB on the back of the Node and had access to them from the Bluesound App.

Pretty cool. Even tells you if it's HiRes or not.
HD or CD is the designation.
post #42 of 428 Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post
I was thinking of getting into this system - instead of Sonos - and was wondering whether anyone here has experience with Bluesound. Their website is http://www.bluesound.com/ and I recently saw the units demoed in Toronto. They seem pretty good but the software/apps still seemed a little "beta". I did hear that there were recent updates that will likely help.

I like the looks of the units as well as the high quality playback abilities.
I've recently bought a NAD M12 digital preamp with Bluesound BluOS board fitted. It uses Bluesound Controller on your PC to control music if stored on as NAS. And an app for your phone that's not good.

Sounds great and handles hi-res although I've not done any proper tests - BUT BEWARE! If you're used to the Sonos controller on your PC, you'll be very disappointed with Bluesound. OK, they're new to this and will hopefully get their act together but for example - you cannot play any music with an accent in the title or artist. I can't play any Albeniz because he spells his name with an accent on the e. Same goes for punctuation marks so don't try playing "What am I to you?".

Also if you use the Folder structure of your collection to browse your music, that can be done (unlike many apps) but you can't ask for Play All when you've found the folder with the CD you want. You have to open the folder and click on every single track file!

Everyone in the business will, if they're prepared to be honest, say that the Sonos user interface is MUCH better than any using UPnP as the basis of their app. Bluesound are not using UPnP, so potentially they can get as good a user interface as Sonos - eventually!

I'm in contact with them over these matters and a few other areas where their controller is clearly inferior to Sonos and they seem responsive. Time will tell though. In the meantime, the Sonos stays in my system to play the hundreds of tracks that Bluesound simply won't.

Peter
post #43 of 428 Old 05-02-2015, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Here View Post
I've recently bought a NAD M12 digital preamp with Bluesound BluOS board fitted. It uses Bluesound Controller on your PC to control music if stored on as NAS. And an app for your phone that's not good.

Sounds great and handles hi-res although I've not done any proper tests - BUT BEWARE! If you're used to the Sonos controller on your PC, you'll be very disappointed with Bluesound. OK, they're new to this and will hopefully get their act together but for example - you cannot play any music with an accent in the title or artist. I can't play any Albeniz because he spells his name with an accent on the e. Same goes for punctuation marks so don't try playing "What am I to you?".

Peter

I'm please to be able to report that this particular problem has been resolved by the latest Controller software update, although you must delete the index via Configure Player, the re-index. Once done, all accents and punctuation marks are accepted.

The other problems (of being unable to play an entire CD from the Folder browse and to choose where music is added to the playlist at the time of selection) will hopefully be addressed by Bluesound soon.

Peter
post #44 of 428 Old 06-13-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sitting in my yard listening to my Vault(GRP-Allstar Big Band). This is my fourth Vault. I had issues with the first three. Turns out Bluesound switched to a new drive and they were faulty. The first two failed pretty quickly. The third failed after ~200 rips. Ripping became intermittent at that point. That player was sent to Bluesound who transferred my rips to a new Vault that was tested extensively by them prior to shipping. Turns out the new drives had problems ripping older disc because the hole in the center wears over time and the new drives couldn't rip them. For my troubles my dealer gave me a refurbished pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones valued at ~$300.
So why am I telling this story. Three reasons:
1. Bluesound had the only system with CD quality sound.
2. They stuck by their product and got it right.
3. My dealer did all they could to make me happy and in my opinion I'm not one of their biggest customers. They make their money off of installs of complete home theaters but they treated me as if I was spending thousands not just a thousand.
One other thing. My dealer says they have a gift coming to me in the near future from Bluesound for my troubles.
My dealer has a customer for life and I'll by from Bluesound again because they stood by their product. Back to listening!!!!!!

Last edited by pappaduke; 06-13-2015 at 03:33 PM.
post #45 of 428 Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
My Vault will arrive on Monday and I have a couple questions I hope can get some answers here..

1. Does Vault support spotify or tidal's offline mode?

2. I heard that the 2tb drive were suspect to premature failing, anyone here can share their warranty or repair story?

3. Which service has better quality? Spotify or Tidal? How about Tidal 320kbps vs flac??

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #46 of 428 Old 06-27-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up 2TB drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
My Vault will arrive on Monday and I have a couple questions I hope can get some answers here..

1. Does Vault support spotify or tidal's offline mode?

2. I heard that the 2tb drive were suspect to premature failing, anyone here can share their warranty or repair story?

3. Which service has better quality? Spotify or Tidal? How about Tidal 320kbps vs flac??
Read my previous post (#44). This was with a 2TB drive. I may have made Bluesound aware of their drive issues by returning three units. They were very helpful (even called me at home to help me do some trouble shooting at a time of my choosing. Turns out they had a new drive supplier and the drives had issues with older disc. I stuck with it because my dealer and Bluesound both gave me great customer service and with 600+ cd's this unit was just what I needed.
post #47 of 428 Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sitting in my yard listening to my Vault(GRP-Allstar Big Band). This is my fourth Vault. I had issues with the first three. Turns out Bluesound switched to a new drive and they were faulty. The first two failed pretty quickly. The third failed after ~200 rips. Ripping became intermittent at that point.

When you say the first 2 vaults failed pretty quickly, what kind of failure are you talking about? dead drive? problem reading ripped files or problem with ripping cds to the drive?

What other signs did the vault give you when drive fails or about to fail? error message? freezes?

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #48 of 428 Old 06-29-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
When you say the first 2 vaults failed pretty quickly, what kind of failure are you talking about? dead drive? problem reading ripped files or problem with ripping cds to the drive?

What other signs did the vault give you when drive fails or about to fail? error message? freezes?
The first two only ripped about half of 50 disc. I could hear noise coming from the unit as if the disc wasn't spinning properly. No damage to the disc, but enough noise for me to take them back.
Before taking them back, Bluesound had me send a diagnostic report to them (this is how they troubleshoot) and they determined it was a hardware issue and not software related. The diagnostic is within the app and pretty easy to use.
The third unit worked well until I got about 200 disc in and it failed in the same way. At that point, the unit was sent to Bluesound with my 200 rips on it. When they tested the unit, a tech didn't figure out the problem until he put in an older disc and it duplicated what had been happening to me. Turns out the hole in the center of CDs can wear over time and their new drives could not rip them.
My current player has ripped about 600 disc. I think I had ten that didn't rip which is probably related to scratched disc.
Sound quality is noticeably better than my docked iPod and I am happy with my unit. I'm still debating whether to subscribe to Tidal or Spotify, so I can't speak on the streaming services at this point.
I'm assuming they are no longer using the faulty drives.
post #49 of 428 Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The first two only ripped about half of 50 disc. I could hear noise coming from the unit as if the disc wasn't spinning properly. No damage to the disc, but enough noise for me to take them back.
Before taking them back, Bluesound had me send a diagnostic report to them (this is how they troubleshoot) and they determined it was a hardware issue and not software related. The diagnostic is within the app and pretty easy to use.
The third unit worked well until I got about 200 disc in and it failed in the same way. At that point, the unit was sent to Bluesound with my 200 rips on it. When they tested the unit, a tech didn't figure out the problem until he put in an older disc and it duplicated what had been happening to me. Turns out the hole in the center of CDs can wear over time and their new drives could not rip them.
My current player has ripped about 600 disc. I think I had ten that didn't rip which is probably related to scratched disc.
Sound quality is noticeably better than my docked iPod and I am happy with my unit. I'm still debating whether to subscribe to Tidal or Spotify, so I can't speak on the streaming services at this point.
I'm assuming they are no longer using the faulty drives.
Thanks for the reply, so I guess the problem is not with the 2TB harddrive but with the optical drive...

post #50 of 428 Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe that to be correct, but apparently this started when they switched to the 2TB hard drives. I guess they changed the optical drive when they increased the hard drive size.
post #51 of 428 Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Here View Post
Everyone in the business will, if they're prepared to be honest, say that the Sonos user interface is MUCH better than any using UPnP as the basis of their app. Bluesound are not using UPnP, so potentially they can get as good a user interface as Sonos - eventually!
Peter
Hmm. Not sure I agree with your comments about UPnP-based interfaces, especially where classical music is concerned.

When I first heard about Bluesound about a week ago I got quite excited, as I would like to implement a multi-room solution in our house and Bluesound had received some excellent reviews. However, after a visit to a local dealer I found that it is almost totally useless for a collection of classical music. You can't even browse a list of composers!

The only solutions I know of that can handle classical metadata in an intelligent manner are all dependent on UPnP/DLNA. I currently use MinimServer on my NAS and the BubbleUPnP controller app on my Android smartphone to play music via an Oppo BDP-105. This takes time to set up properly but once it is done it provides a very powerful and flexible interface (for all genres) that is also very easy to use. Linn and Naim also use UPnP/DLNA.

However, I can't comment on how well the Sonos interface handles classical music, as I've never used any Sonos kit.

David
post #52 of 428 Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SONOS sucks for classical music. You can search by composer, but then you have to select artist before selecting composition. That means you have to know what artists play which music. Then if you have several recordings of the same piece by the same artist, such as Chopin - Arthur Rubinstein - Chopin Nocturnes, you are guessing if you are listening to the 1960's recordings or 1930's. I wish the interface was more like:
Chopin - Chopin Nocturnes - Arthur Rubinstein so you can at least not guess as to which artists played which music.
post #53 of 428 Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerm View Post
SONOS sucks for classical music. You can search by composer, but then you have to select artist before selecting composition. That means you have to know what artists play which music. Then if you have several recordings of the same piece by the same artist, such as Chopin - Arthur Rubinstein - Chopin Nocturnes, you are guessing if you are listening to the 1960's recordings or 1930's. I wish the interface was more like:
Chopin - Chopin Nocturnes - Arthur Rubinstein so you can at least not guess as to which artists played which music.
Sadly, that confirms my strong suspicion that Sonos would be just as useless as Bluesound for classical music. For some strange reason, many audio companies appear to be populated by uncultured philistines, who see nothing wrong with ignoring 500 years of musical history. Who needs Bach, Mozart or Mahler when you could be twerking to Miley Cyrus...

I'm not criticising anyone who dislikes classical music but it is simply stupid to pretend that it doesn't exist. I doubt if it is even a good business plan to ignore the needs of classical music enthusiasts, as they are probably more highly represented among the affluent audiophile community than the general population.

Rant over.

David
post #54 of 428 Old 07-17-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 108
For anyone who might be interested-- I put my Node up for sale in the Classified section of AVS.

B.
post #55 of 428 Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
For anyone who might be interested-- I put my Node up for sale in the Classified section of AVS.

B.

Is there a reason you decided to sell the Node? I have been wondering whether to get a Blusound system to play hi-rez music, so I am interested in knowing if you were not happy with something about the system.

Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
post #56 of 428 Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a reason you decided to sell the Node? I have been wondering whether to get a Blusound system to play hi-rez music, so I am interested in knowing if you were not happy with something about the system.
I've been using Kodi/XBMC on the HTPC for video and it is just as easy to use it for music as well. No advantage for me to have two separate devices.

B.
post #57 of 428 Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
I've been using Kodi/XBMC on the HTPC for video and it is just as easy to use it for music as well. No advantage for me to have two separate devices.

B.
Thanks for the response, I'm glad to know that there is nothing "wrong" with the Node that caused you to put it up for sale.

Cal68

Cal68
post #58 of 428 Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bluesound has a whole new line of products coming out to include a new Vault 2, Pulse mini, Pulse flex, Node 2 and Powernode 2. All of this information is on their website.
post #59 of 428 Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, most of them are shipping now. For anyone looking for a discount on some of the older products I put a Vault and Node up for sale in the Classifieds.

B.
post #60 of 428 Old 09-06-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bluesound has a whole new line of products coming out to include a new Vault 2, Pulse mini, Pulse flex, Node 2 and Powernode 2. All of this information is on their website.
What additional features have been added to the new line compared to the originals? Are they worth the $$ or would it be better to try and snag the older models at a discount? Thanks.

Cal68

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page