Bluesound Audio Streamer - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #91 of 409 Old 06-01-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3212 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Well, I received my Bluesound update today for MQA.

I wonder when Tidal will give us some MQA content?
Maybe I need to check it on the laptop version?
I updated both the BluOS on my Android tablet, Android phone and desktop PC. I did check my Tidal app on both desktop and tablet, still no MQA in the settings so I don't know what's going on there. The BluOS doesn't seem to give up file type when streaming Tidal, though it does show "CD" or "HD" when playing files from my Vault's own library. I only own a couple of 24/96 files that show up as HD though. I don't own any MP3's or it might show that too. For anything I play off Tidal through the Vault (my only means of streaming Tidal to my receiver), nothing shows so I can only assume it's playing as their "HiFi" setting that I have set for my account.

I'll be happy when Tidal actually starts sharing MQA files and either shows it or the difference in sound is so profound that it can't be confused with HiFi.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 409 Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I updated both the BluOS on my Android tablet, Android phone and desktop PC. I did check my Tidal app on both desktop and tablet, still no MQA in the settings so I don't know what's going on there. The BluOS doesn't seem to give up file type when streaming Tidal, though it does show "CD" or "HD" when playing files from my Vault's own library. I only own a couple of 24/96 files that show up as HD though. I don't own any MP3's or it might show that too. For anything I play off Tidal through the Vault (my only means of streaming Tidal to my receiver), nothing shows so I can only assume it's playing as their "HiFi" setting that I have set for my account.

I'll be happy when Tidal actually starts sharing MQA files and either shows it or the difference in sound is so profound that it can't be confused with HiFi.
I'm in the same boat..
post #93 of 409 Old 06-01-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

I did the same and I'm aLso wondering where am I going to get MQA content. There's some talk on Bluesound's forum page of people finding content. I have to do a little more investigating. At least this is a start.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I did the same and I'm aLso wondering where am I going to get MQA content. There's some talk on Bluesound's forum page of people finding content. I have to do a little more investigating. At least this is a start.
Hey pappaduke, Scott here from Bluesound. I am glad to hear everyone is as excited about MQA as we are. While there is limited music available for direct download from 7Digital, I know the MQA team is actively working with TIDAL to bring more music to its platform, however the next step is very much driven by TIDAL and the labels. Did you see the news from Warner about their licensing deal with the MQA folk? Click here to read it and know that we'll see a lot more movement and news over the coming months. On-boarding music services and the major record labels is a major focus for MQA so there is a lot to look forward to for us music fans.
post #95 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just went looking on 7Digital's website and found zero MQA files. I'm willing to buy a couple just to sample through my Vault, even if it's not music I would normally buy.

Oh well.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #96 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
I just went looking on 7Digital's website and found zero MQA files. I'm willing to buy a couple just to sample through my Vault, even if it's not music I would normally buy.

Oh well.

Onkyo music dot com has some.
Search MQA on their site.
post #97 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

2L has a bunch of files for you to try...

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
post #98 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I went to my preferred A/V dealer today, where I've bought all my KEF, SVS and Bluesound stuff. I wanted to see if they had any MQA files with matching "CD quality" (16/44.1) files to demo on one of the Bluesound fed systems. They did. Curiously, they had a pair of KEF R300 set up, Bluesound Vault 2 feeding a Plinius amp out to the speakers.

The difference was definitely there. I would not say it's as profound as going from a Pioneer bookshelf speaker to a B&W800D3. It's subtle but with that setup did give the music a slightly more pleasing sound. Playing Van Morrison's "Moondance" and The Doors "Rider On The Storm." We also tested against 24/96 tracks and the difference was still there. It's REALLY hard for me to describe, I apologize for not being good at this. The highs were less "scratchy" though more detailed. Vocals were just clearer in every way but really noticeable in being devoid of all traces of sibilance. There was more separation of things, from soundstage imaging to drums and cymbals just sounding a little more "in the room."

I can't wait to hear this on my own system. The good fellow did say that Tidal is apparently still in the midst of ironing out licensing with a dozen or so countries where they do business and should have it in "a month or three." We'll see.

post #99 of 409 Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmetal88 View Post
Hey pappaduke, Scott here from Bluesound. I am glad to hear everyone is as excited about MQA as we are. While there is limited music available for direct download from 7Digital, I know the MQA team is actively working with TIDAL to bring more music to its platform, however the next step is very much driven by TIDAL and the labels. Did you see the news from Warner about their licensing deal with the MQA folk? Click here to read it and know that we'll see a lot more movement and news over the coming months. On-boarding music services and the major record labels is a major focus for MQA so there is a lot to look forward to for us music fans.
Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm extremely happy with Bluesound's lead the pack mentality. I'm just a little impatient(by nature). So believe me, I know you guys at Bluesound have done your part and that I'm now at the mercy of the labels and Tidal which will most likely be my main source.
As far as the excitement, there is lots of talk in multiple forums about MQA, Bluesound and Tidal. I immediately went looking for MQA material and was a little disappointed but I'm impatiently waiting🤔 Again, thanks for the work that Bluesound has done👍🏾

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #100 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmetal88 View Post

I went by a local dealer this morning to inquire about bluesound and sonos since they carry both. I currently use iTunes and all of my music is stored on a laptop and my iPhone. After going back and forth, it seems my best bet would be to go with a Node and NAS vs a Vault due to the fact that I could eventually expand the storage which I couldn't do with the vault. Both could be updated with new iTunes purchases/high res downloads etc by reindexing(?). The vault would be cheaper by a few hundred dollars, but the NAS would leave me future proof.
The only advantage for my situation with sonos is their inclusion of Apple Music.
Scott do you know if Apple Music will be offered in the future or if BS is even interested in adding it to their collection of partners? Being that iTunes is the largest and most popular (nonstreaming) music service, I hope so.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #101 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know nothing about iTunes so wonder if you could educate me. My understanding is that the "standard" downloads are somewhat low-res files, something like a glorified MP3. Do they now offer at least "CD quality" 16/44.1 files, and if so can you upgrade the files you've already bought for free or is there a charge?

What do they actually offer now? I'm afraid to check a website of Apple for fear I might start getting e-mail from my nemesis. Sticking with Tidal, just curious.

post #102 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 152
All things being equal, will a Bluesound Node 2 sound better than a Sonos Connect (using a coax digital out on both) streaming Tidal? Does the Node 2 stream in HD (via Tidal) while the Connect won't?
post #103 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no experience with Sonos but can tell you that the Bluesound Vault I have actually sounds better than playing Tidal Hi-Fi (16/44.1 streaming) than do CD's on my older Sony CE-CDP500 or even the same CD's ripped via my Vault or computer. I output the CD player using Toslink fiberoptic but use the DAC in the Vault output via RCA (rather than the DAC in the CD player of. Now that Bluesound has enabled all their streaming equipment to decode MQA, things get even better!

No idea what Sonos plans are for MQA. Even if they adopt the format I wouldn't know if their distributed base of products could be updated in the field as Bluesound did for all their stuff, new and old.

As for digital zeros and ones being output from either unit to a DAC, they should sound exactly the same if connected to the same DAC. I know some people would dispute that (or anything from speaker cables to politics) but I believe the DAC in Bluesound products is pretty darn good....for me...so I use it and output via analog.

post #104 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
All things being equal, will a Bluesound Node 2 sound better than a Sonos Connect (using a coax digital out on both) streaming Tidal? Does the Node 2 stream in HD (via Tidal) while the Connect won't?

Well I just got my Node 2 today and there is an improvement over the Sonos Connect and Chromecast Audio I have tried and...I am using coax with Tidal.

Still learning the settings. I am using the Bluesound PC app, but found out there is not really a way to access the Bluesound Node 2 player settings. Lucky for me i had a new Kindle Fire Tablet that I put the Google Play Store on. May be some one can tell me how to make sure I am streaming the Highest resolution of Tidal. I see the "CD" symbol in the corner of the PC's Bluesound app screen.
Also no EQ? All I can find is a bass and treble setting under settings on the Android app.

One more thought....I just laid out $500.00 for this thing. I hope I am getting my money's worth.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #105 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
Well I just got my Node 2 today and there is an improvement over the Sonos Connect and Chromecast Audio I have tried and...I am using coax with Tidal.

Still learning the settings. I am using the Bluesound PC app, but found out there is not really a way to access the Bluesound Node 2 player settings. Lucky for me i had a new Kindle Fire Tablet that I put the Google Play Store on. May be some one can tell me how to make sure I am streaming the Highest resolution of Tidal. I see the "CD" symbol in the corner of the PC's Bluesound app screen.
Also no EQ? All I can find is a bass and treble setting under settings on the Android app.

One more thought....I just laid out $500.00 for this thing. I hope I am getting my money's worth.
On the Bluesound website there appears to be a specific app for Kindle Fire so I don't think you needed to download the Android version. Of course because I don't have a Kindle Fire I wouldn't know if it has any features not found on the Android app that I use with my Asus TF300T tablet.

I feel I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of my Vault because my CD player has been retired and I now only have to handle a CD once and I have it on the Vault and backed up to my USB drive. I also highly value being able to just sit and control everything with the tablet in hand. I do not feel I need any tone controls/equalization with the Vault. For me, that duty is handled by my NAD T758 receiver.

post #106 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know nothing about iTunes so wonder if you could educate me. My understanding is that the "standard" downloads are somewhat low-res files, something like a glorified MP3. Do they now offer at least "CD quality" 16/44.1 files, and if so can you upgrade the files you've already bought for free or is there a charge?

What do they actually offer now? I'm afraid to check a website of Apple for fear I might start getting e-mail from my nemesis. Sticking with Tidal, just curious.
There has been some talk that iTunes may upgrade to a higher resolution. I believe currently you are looking at 256kb. The last time they increased kbs there was a small charge for the increased rate but it was optional.
ambesolman likes this.
post #107 of 409 Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks pappaduke, I was just getting ready to reply after looking at iTunes. It indeed does look like store purchases are 256kbps while apple lossless rips seem to be 650-1000+kbps with a sample rate of 44.1kHz for everything. It all sounds good on my end, but wouldn't mind better if it makes a difference.
They need to offer at least cd quality, preferably more, since it's a download service and not streaming.
Apple used to innovate and lead the pack, now they just seem to be playing catch up with everyone else. They have all the money in the world to make it happen, just hope they make the right decisions.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #108 of 409 Old 06-09-2016, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apple didn't need to give any higher quality sound because their target market was (and still is IMO) the masses who listen with the earbuds everywhere they go. You can't hear a difference when the speakers are barely larger than a chick pea and the noise floor is usually somewhere between street traffic and a jet airliner.

Even under more ideal conditions the vast majority of people just don't care about the quality of sound. They care about the beat and/or the catchy lyrics and hooks. My wife is one who would be a perfect example. She has never understood why I spend a dime on this equipment, and swears she can't hear any difference between my home system and the stock speakers in her Ford Fusion.

We on this forum who do recognize and thoroughly appreciate high quality sound (even us at widely varying levels) live in our own little corner of the audio world. Most will never understand it, and fewer will value it enough to be willing to spend more to get it. Most are no longer interested in collecting music they own because "the cloud" always has it at their calloused fingertips. That's where the music business had gone and will stay.

I don't see any overall trend to steer back to better quality. What the masses get in their earbuds is still far better than what they got out of a car radio or boom box when the "digitization" of music started making access far more convenient so they are happy enough. Little blips such as the (relatively small) surge in rotating vinyl disks will not likely cause any profound demand for increased quality and commensurate spend for most people. As long as their iTunes, Pandora, Spotify is convenient, that all they want and need.
ambesolman likes this.

post #109 of 409 Old 06-09-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sad but true

post #110 of 409 Old 06-09-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

+1 on the comments about Apple and I'm a fan of their products in some regards. In particular, their ease of use. Unfortunately I and most others here are Audio/Videophiles on these forums so we are always seeking better. So for now, Tidal is my streaming service of choice, Pandora is second for their track based radio stations. Now I'm just waiting for some MQA content.

post #111 of 409 Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Some free MQA downloads for testing...

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #112 of 409 Old 06-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am saving up for a Bluesound system in my home (a vault, a node, and a few flex speakers), and plan to purchase it all a year from now.

But while shopping for bookshelf speakers (unrelated to this) for my bedroom, I found a great deal on a set of Bluesound 2.1 Duo speakers.

I have a question - could the Duo speakers be used effectively with a different audio system? I understand they were made to be used with a powernode (which I might buy one day), but would it be worth it to buy these as speakers for a non-Bluesound setup?
post #113 of 409 Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't. They're just mediocre compact speakers and unless they're as cheap as a Pioneer B22, I'd still buy the Pioneer.

The Bluesound Node and Vault are good products. Their products with speakers isn't something I would seek out because those low priced speakers would never get out what their signal is capable of delivering.
mroilers likes this.

post #114 of 409 Old 06-13-2016, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice! I had my eye on other bookshelf speakers and subwoofer and only was curious about the Duo because I found a set brand new for almost half its normal price.

I am certainly going to buy a vault and a node soon. I like the flexibility of component systems and never would have considered buying their speaker products, but I have to say that I got to try the Flex, and thought they sounded shockingly good for what they were, and are the perfect price to fill a couple of tiny rooms in my home where I wouldn't otherwise have had music.
post #115 of 409 Old 06-13-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you look at the frequency response specs for the Duo satellite speakers and compare to those of the Flex powered speakers, it's a night and day difference. The Duo is stating 80hz as the low end while the Flex speakers show 45hz. Even the Duo's "subwoofer" only goes down to about 36hz, not particularly deep. This is why I suggested not getting those Duo speakers. The Flex speakers are much better, it seems. Your ears may have confirmed this.

Since both PSB and Bluesound (and NAD) are Lenbrook companies, it might be safe to assume that the speakers for Bluesound may have had the PSB speaker engineers hands on them, are probably made in the same factory in China and may share some components. PSB speakers are generally pretty good.

post #116 of 409 Old 06-16-2016, 02:49 PM

Found a brand-new Node for less than $300 and set it up today. Works great! I can't wait to play around with it, and now I really cannot wait to buy a Vault!
KenM10759 likes this.
post #117 of 409 Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The older Node and Vault units are twice the bulk of the newer Node 2 and Vault 2, but have almost all the same features. That includes being able to download the updated firmware that decodes MQA files. At nearly 1/2 the price of the new units, the older style is well worth the price. I got my Vault for $600 (loaded with music someone forgot to delete) from a dealer in December and I'm also VERY happy with it.

Congratulations on yours, be sure to do that update....and enjoy!

post #118 of 409 Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

New here, I just bought my first system. Do you have any experience with Usher Mini two? I'll have with Usher AB amp (only for Taiwan but seems good one) than a few weeks in a Bluesound Node. Any experience or recommendation? I'm really looking forward to setting it up!
post #119 of 409 Old 07-01-2016, 07:08 PM

I just bought a Node 2 last month specifically to stream Tidal MQA when it is available. Now I hear Apple may take over Tidal and do who knows what with it. Are there any other streaming services on Bluesound that offer FLAC CD quality streams? I live in the US. If not My $500.00 Node 2 is going back to Crutchfield for a refund, and I will just use a $35.00 Chromecast Audio.

Last edited by Steelman99; 07-01-2016 at 08:06 PM.
post #120 of 409 Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just starting with Tidal..

Hey all,
After much trial and error, I've finally been able to use my Node-2 and send some MQA tunes to my stereo.
I'm trying to set this up so that my wife can use it too when I'm not around, but I'm still a bit confused on the process involved.
I have Tidal and the BluOS installed on all our devices, but do you have to open Tidal and create a playlist, or can you just open BluOS, select Tidal, and then create a playlist?
And when it comes to Tidal, everything revolves around playlists, right? You can't have a playlist like Top 40 (which is what my wife listens to) that plays different songs?
Rather, you need to pick specific songs?
I'm just trying to make this as simple as possible and right now it looks like the steps for her would be to grab our universal remote, and select MUSIC, which I've set to activate the Node-2 and volume controls, and then she would need to select her phone and then select BluOS>Tidal>Playlists? Is there anyway to get there with fewer steps?

Thanks for listening to my rambling question.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page