*Official* KDLinks HD*** Streaming Media Player Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #781 of 830 Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should be able to go into settings and delete the play store app and reinstall it. If that doesn't work try a full reinstall of the firmware. The A400 is very similar to a HiMedia Q10 Pro. There is a site called Futeko that deals with streaming players and has a forum that may assist you with this android player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 830 Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a question regarding the A400's Samba file structure.

I have a 4TB drive internally mounted that I plan to store the majority of my files on. My goal is to transfer files to this drive via network from my PC. When I enable Samba on the A400 I'm able to find it on the network, but there's an overly large set of file paths, including three separate base directories with matching sub-directories where I would expect to save the files. I have to click through a minimum of 5 or 6 folders to get to the directory that shows up in the media player, which seems ridiculous.

Is there a way to clean up this file structure or replace it entirely? I planned to just use the built-in media player rather than Kodi, so all I need to do is have a simple path for me to organize my files (for example, my current setup is just root/tv or root/movies).

Any thoughts would be great!
post #783 of 830 Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmriggins View Post
I had a question regarding the A400's Samba file structure.

I have a 4TB drive internally mounted that I plan to store the majority of my files on. My goal is to transfer files to this drive via network from my PC. When I enable Samba on the A400 I'm able to find it on the network, but there's an overly large set of file paths, including three separate base directories with matching sub-directories where I would expect to save the files. I have to click through a minimum of 5 or 6 folders to get to the directory that shows up in the media player, which seems ridiculous.

Is there a way to clean up this file structure or replace it entirely? I planned to just use the built-in media player rather than Kodi, so all I need to do is have a simple path for me to organize my files (for example, my current setup is just root/tv or root/movies).

Any thoughts would be great!
Managed to figure out the file structure. It's weird but manageable.

Follow up question, is there a way to access the Samba network without having the KDlinks on? It'd be nice to transfer stuff while I'm using other devices on my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 830 Old 10-29-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer View Post
Himedia Q10 and KDLINKS A 400 are almost same except CPU in KD is little better(i don't know how fast) and cost is 40% less.
So do you guys think KDLINKS A400 is a better choice? At Amazon some costumers are complaining it can't play HDR movies properly.
Maybe is better wait until next generation of KDLINKS will arrive?
I think all KDLinks have built in Time-Bombs to make you upgrade after a year or when the warranty expires. Nearly everyone that got suckered into buying the "HD720 Extreme" a few years ago is already in the NUGRADE boat and have a $250 brick sitting near their AV Receivers. Repeat the words... "KDLinks....... NEVER AGAIN"....
steady teddy likes this.
post #785 of 830 Old 10-29-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I bought a referb 720 for 100.00, but ended up setting it up for someone else. It's still working fine. I think the nugrade issue was solved by just connecting a usb cable (though it may return). I'm not sure I was "suckered" into buying it though. One weighs the features and benefits, cost. I will say I am getting the A400 squared away finally. It's a decent player and I only use it for 3D iso's.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #786 of 830 Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Issue with connected storage and 3D on KDLINKS A400

So there's some issue with playing 3D iso's on usb connected drives. All of a sudden the picture and audio just starts cutting in and out so it's basically coming down to only playing content with an internal drive. I have a 4TB installed now and a 3TB external drive, but I need a lot more than that. I have tried both USB 2.0 interface and USB 3.0, doesn't make a difference.

With the internal drive, I never have an issue. What's the biggest single volume drive you can install in these?

This is really a frustrating issue because it will play fine for quite a while with no indication of any problems then it gets to a certain part in movie and it cuts out and that ends the movie since it's unwatchable after that. It seems like it's always in the second half of the movie and usually towards the end. I've tried moving the file to the internal drive and same file plays fine with no issues. Problem has to be with USB attached storage.

post #787 of 830 Old 12-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Issue with connected storage and 3D on KDLINKS A400

So there's some issue with playing 3D iso's on usb connected drives. All of a sudden the picture and audio just starts cutting in and out so it's basically coming down to only playing content with an internal drive. I have a 4TB installed now and a 3TB external drive, but I need a lot more than that. I have tried both USB 2.0 interface and USB 3.0, doesn't make a difference.

With the internal drive, I never have an issue. What's the biggest single volume drive you can install in these?

This is really a frustrating issue because it will play fine for quite a while with no indication of any problems then it gets to a certain part in movie and it cuts out and that ends the movie since it's unwatchable after that. It seems like it's always in the second half of the movie and usually towards the end. I've tried moving the file to the internal drive and same file plays fine with no issues. Problem has to be with USB attached storage.
Try upgrading the PSU to a 4amp one when using external and internal drives connected. I have the HiMedia q10 pro. Basically the same box with different GUI/ software. This fixed the problems with playback via external drive with internal drive connected as well.
post #788 of 830 Old 12-19-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
Try upgrading the PSU to a 4amp one when using external and internal drives connected. I have the HiMedia q10 pro. Basically the same box with different GUI/ software. This fixed the problems with playback via external drive with internal drive connected as well.
The external enclosure has its own power supply so it would just be data transfer thru USB no extra draw. I noticed also thru ethernet it can't play content from my Plex server via UPNP. It says it's too slow, which is BS. I have no trouble playing files from my mac mini with content from the same server. It seems it can only handle content if it's on the internal drive so I'll have to throw the biggest volume I can buy which is a 15TB WD but I don't know if it will recognize it.

post #789 of 830 Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM

I am having the nupgrade error. I have followed the advice from kdlinks website:

9. NUPGRADE Error Message
This is the general error code when HD720 circuit board is damaged by surge or any other possibilities. When you encounter this error, please first try reloading 1.3 firmware, check if that helps. If no use, follow our customer suggestion below::"While "NUPGRADE" is displayed on your player, plug in the supplied USB 3 cable into the PC output (USB 3.0 B) of your device and connect it to a powered on computer. Than unplug AC cord from the HD720 and re-connect after a few seconds. Turn on your device again. "OTG MODE" will be displayed. Than remove USB cable from both the media player and the computer. After a few seconds (10-15sec) device will boot normally and be ready to use. Unfortunately, this issue may return even after this reboot. If it does, just repeat the above process. " - credit to our customer Butch Dog Rox and Mr. Gorombei

To no avail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. Also if not, does anyone have a suggested replacement device.

Rkshack
post #790 of 830 Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 71
My A400 has been collecting dust for well over a year. After wasting $$$ on a Dune HD Solo 4K, another unstable piece of garbage, I decided to fire up the A400 and update it to Leia. Very early, but so far it seems more stable than Krypton. I know that's not saying much since the bar is very low to begin with. Is there a 4K full fledged media player out there worth a damn?

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #791 of 830 Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This POS is still around? I had a NUPGRADE error only within a year and KDLINKS didn't want to do anything with it. I ended up with Shield TV and am very happy with it. I am glad I am off of KDLINKS for good. Even if it is free, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Sony XBR-X940E; Yamaha RX-A1060; Nvidia Shield TV; OPPO BDP-93; Yamaha RX-A1070
post #792 of 830 Old 04-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had many issues with the KD Links A400 and it not doing what was promised from the manufacturer. I did reach out to the company and they offered a firmware upgrade that accomplished nothing except move me to Android 7. Issues I was having was it would not connect to my Windows server until I had to rename all my drives and folders. (An Android issue) It would not play bluray ISO's or display menu's for any ISO I had. I took a chance and installed the firmware for a HiMedia Q10 and that cured many of the issues. Player works much better now but I haven't tried the 4K yet as I have nothing to display it on.
Just an FYI for those of you owning the KD Links A400.
post #793 of 830 Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hope folks here can help out.

I am a long time user of KDLINKS HD720. 2 things I hate about it and wanted to improve;
1) USB2.0 .... slow load time for my external 2 4TB HDs that I add via USB port. Takes 60 seconds or so to load 2 drives.
2) Movie art got screwed up recently. Every new movie art that I try to add, photo gets squashed and looks bad. Just doesn't work properly and so, no movie art for my movies.

What I like in HD720 is that, I don't just have movies in one folder on the Hard Drive, I have things separated in folders and some back up files there as well. Using the File Explorer KDLinks HD720 nicely shows folders (in thumbnail view) and right under movies that are in that file path. Once I go into the folder, then KDLinks shows files there. So all of these things are appreciated.

Which new version of KDLinks solves my 2 problems listed above?
I purchased KDLINKS HD800. Using File Explorer like HD720 has, there is no way to view files/folder in Thumbnail view and no way to add movie art there. So, I tried using VideoBar app but it's got many issues if your movies are not all in one folder, nicely organized. Otherwise, it doesn't recognize folders and just shows everything (all files) in one view, and lots of times movie art is incorrect, especially for foreign movies which are not written in English text. Unlike KDLINKS HD720, you don't get to pick your own movie art, HD800 is doing it automatically for you and there is no overwrite.

I downloaded KODI, and got more confused.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks.

Epson 3100, STR 135" Grey Screen, Sharp LC-80LE650U 80", Denon AVR 4311ci, Ascend Sierra-1 NrT, Ascend HTM-200 (surrounds), Rythmik F12, WD TV Live Media Player, Samsung BD ES6000, Denon DVD-2910 & Sony BDP-S370 SACD/DVDa, Monster HTS 5100 MKI, Monster Z2 Biwire, Logitech Harmony One, Sennheiser HD600, Schiit Modi/Vali

Last edited by Pianist718; 04-05-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #794 of 830 Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM

A400

Is there any way to get this thing to do multichannel pcm for FLAC, or anything at all?
post #795 of 830 Old 10-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For those folks that still own and frequently use their HD720s have you run into the NUPGRADE error and after upgrading to FW 1.3 has it stopped? Does anyone know if it’s an indication of a hardware or software failure and/or if it can be fixed? I upgraded from FW 1.2 to 1.3 recently and it hasn’t happened now in a few weeks. I’m hoping that did the trick but I am thinking it may be time to move to a new player. I had a chance to try a HiMedia Q10 Pro which I heard was similar to the A400 but it didn’t handle my DVD ISOs so I don’t think that’s an option. I’ve got quite a few of those files on the 4TB HDD in the 720. What would be a good replacement for the 720?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #796 of 830 Old 10-09-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still have a HD720 that I setup for someone. It's still running as yet, no error so far. But when it does it's getting replaced probably by the A400. Now, I have one A400 that I use but it's just for 3D because it handles iso files better than anything else. But...these devices really suck. They are unreliable.

I use Plex for most of my content. The problem I have with the A400 is it will only play content reliably from the internal drive, so you're limited to whatever volume size you have installed. I basically drop files to it when I need to, not a great way to use media. It has network capability but it skips and drops out. Same with USB 3.0 connected volumes. It does fine for a while and then at some point halfway through it starts cutting in and out and skipping horribly and doesn't go away. The same file played on internal drive will play flawlessly. Overall, these media players are just overpriced junk.

post #797 of 830 Old 10-10-2019, 06:22 AM

For my use which is strictly playing local files - internal HDD and attached portable drive through my AVR to TV I can’t be happier with the 720. (DVD, BD and 3D BD ISO files) It’s even passing through Atmos and DTS X flawlessly. It took awhile to develop processes around ripping, demuxing, analyzes for forced/separate subs etc and then muxing mostly to ISO but I’ve got all that down pat now and everything works perfectly except when that NUPGRADE error showed up a few months ago. The suggested workaround did the trick and so far on FW 1.3 it’s been fine. I do not have a 4K TV and have no immediate plans to get one. I’ve been reading about the Dune and Zappiti players but not prepared to get one until the 720 really bites the dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #798 of 830 Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just started having an issue with transferring files over my home network that I cannot figure out. My PC is in one room running Windows 10. The box is in another room hardwired via Ethernet cable. Since I bought the device I have been able to copy/move files from the PC via Windows Explorer with no issues. I could also initiate the move from the box itself using ES Explorer but that isn't as easy for me and for some reason takes much longer.

Anyway just this week I can no longer transfer files from the PC to the box from windows explorer. I have well over 300GB available on the hard drive in the box but whenever I try to send the file to the folder I use on the drive it tells me there isn't enough free space and I need an additional 1-3 more GB free space to complete the transfer. As the files themselves are all less than 3GB and there is more than enough space on the box this makes zero sense. I can transfer a file from the box to the PC with no issues but trying to transfer that same exact file back is not working as I get that not enough space error. I cannot figure this out.

I can access and stream as well as copy/move the very same file when initiating the transfer from the box itself with no issue. But initiating it via the PC is causing this error.

Anyone either experience this issue or know how I might fix it? Having to initiate everything from the box is really laborious and takes like 10 times longer. Last week I transferred a 4GB file from my pc to the box via windows explorer and it took like a minute or less. Transferring that same exact file using ES Explorer on the device took more than half hour.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
post #799 of 830 Old 10-19-2019, 01:27 PM

hello everyone
i started with the hd720 and loved that box till one day it would not boot up, the blue indicator came on then went back to red. i was told by customer service something was wrong with the board so they recommended i purchase the a400 so i did. to start with the instruction book is not for the novice user. if you were familiar with streaming boxes (WHICH I AM NOT) it would be ok. all i want this box to do is play the movies that i have on my internal H/D which it plays some does not play movies in AVI since i did the latest upgrade! when i select a movie that is an AVI file it just says VIDEO PROBLEM. now just today i tried to access my H/D in the same manor i always do and it says no video files. if i go to settings>advanced>device storage>portable storage and select movies there i can see all my movies and i can play them from there. if anyone can give me insight on this it would be greatly appreciated!
post #800 of 830 Old 11-04-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 948
HI does anyone know if the A400 will play DSD OR SACD FILES?

MickinCT
post #801 of 830 Old 11-05-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
HI does anyone know if the A400 will play DSD OR SACD FILES?
I don't think it would directly. You'd have to convert to Flac or something else.

post #802 of 830 Old 11-05-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 948
THANKS Tom find this info on the amazon site It can play BD audio, but does not appear capable of playing DVD-A or sacd

MickinCT
post #803 of 830 Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejosh View Post
I just started having an issue with transferring files over my home network that I cannot figure out. My PC is in one room running Windows 10. The box is in another room hardwired via Ethernet cable. Since I bought the device I have been able to copy/move files from the PC via Windows Explorer with no issues.
Were you at some prior time using a version of windows 10 that had smb v1 enabled, and then upgraded windows?

If only smb v2+ is currently enabled, smb v1 can be temporarily enabled in Windows 10 just long enough to copy the files over.

Last edited by Chut Mingy; 11-14-2019 at 11:19 PM.
post #804 of 830 Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflauder View Post
For those folks that still own and frequently use their HD720s have you run into the NUPGRADE error and after upgrading to FW 1.3 has it stopped? Does anyone know if it’s an indication of a hardware or software failure and/or if it can be fixed? I upgraded from FW 1.2 to 1.3 recently and it hasn’t happened now in a few weeks.
The NUPGRADE issue is a firmware problem that ultimately causes corruption of the bad block table in nand because of the way the firmware shuts down when powering off.

Depending how the nand was corrupted, the nupgrade issue may be intermittent or everlasting. Once it is corrupted too much, the usual fix is to erase all or most of the NAND. Because just re-installing firmware doesn't write those blocks so the error will continue.

The iNeXT firmware (for the same exact MeLE player as the HD720) has a better shutdown sequence in the firmware.

I've fixed a handful of HD720s by erasing the NAND and then installing the iNeXT firmware, and the nupgrade problem has never reappeared.

Another very common problem in HD720s is the thermal compound under the heat sink drying out. This problem usually manifests itself by the box locking up after 10 minutes or so of use. And by portions of the heat sink being really hot.
post #805 of 830 Old 11-15-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chut Mingy View Post
The NUPGRADE issue is a firmware problem that ultimately causes corruption of the bad block table in nand because of the way the firmware shuts down when powering off.

Depending how the nand was corrupted, the nupgrade issue may be intermittent or everlasting. Once it is corrupted too much, the usual fix is to erase all or most of the NAND. Because just re-installing firmware doesn't write those blocks so the error will continue.

The iNeXT firmware (for the same exact MeLE player as the HD720) has a better shutdown sequence in the firmware.

I've fixed a handful of HD720s by erasing the NAND and then installing the iNeXT firmware, and the nupgrade problem has never reappeared.

Another very common problem in HD720s is the thermal compound under the heat sink drying out. This problem usually manifests itself by the box locking up after 10 minutes or so of use. And by portions of the heat sink being really hot.
Thanks Chut Mingy. Can you please explain what the NAND is and how you would go about deleting it and installing the iNEXT firmware. I have to say since I was able to upgrade to FW1.3 the NUPGRADE error has not reappeared. I've never experience the box locking up so I hope my thermal compound hasn't dried out - yet.
Out of curiosity does the iNEXT firmware offer anything different than the KDLinks?
post #806 of 830 Old 11-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Liked: 12
Guys

I have an HD720 that was working fine until a couple of months ago.

Now it is refusing to log into my windows network - wrong username/password.

I have other devices able to use the same username / password and, by the way, it is the same username and password I was using before and that worked fine for many many months.

I can still use the player to play streamed videos from the windows server, but I don't like to do that. I prefer to browse my folders and select from there.

Are you guys having the same issue? I wonder if there was a Windows update, some sort of protocol, that is impeding the HF720 to logon.

I reached out to the vendor support but got nothing. Nobody bothered to reply to my emails.

Last edited by nricci; 11-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #807 of 830 Old 11-20-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt the 720 has any support by now.

I can't believe you could even play anything via network. I was able to see my Xserve (mac) Plex server via the A400. Have access to everything. But it won't handle the files. Stutters just like it does with connected volumes. And that's on the newer A400. I suppose that has something to do with the ethernet only 10/100 perhaps (I don't know for sure on speed that it lacks gigabit), but USB 3.0 should be able to handle connected volumes and it won't play from there either so I don't know.

I recently tested out connected volumes on the old 720 I setup for my folks. Same thing, won't play the files, just stutters badly. Same files play perfect on internal drive so everything has to be inside. I think they plan on most users just using it with an internal drive so that's really what it's for. And it plays files great so long as they are on the internal drive. Connected storage, forget it. I still haven't figured out what exactly I will do with the A400. I got it for 3D iso files but there is no way I can put all my 3D iso's on one drive. So it's pretty much useless for me. I will not buy another media box again unless these issues are fixed.

post #808 of 830 Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Liked: 12
ok so what is the media player of choice right now?

I need something that can play AVIs in my local network. I have lots of files I prepare with my kids competitions. So I need the ability to log into the network, select a file and play it.

What are you guys using?
post #809 of 830 Old 11-21-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been using Plex since about 2009. You have a Plex server and then your Plex clients which could be a Windows or Mac computer, phone or tablet or a newer smart TV like LG uses Plex app maybe some smart devices run Plex app too, more info on their site. My KD Links will also see the Plex server but of course can't play them very well.

There's also Kodi which the A400 uses but I think Plex is better. JRiver which costs money. That's all the top ones I can think of. There's other media boxes like Mede8ter but I haven't used those. I would say the results would be largely the same because of content access and you're limitd to the hardware that's in the box.

I like Plex but it won't do anything with full quality 3D files so that's why I picked up the KD links boxes. It plays 3D iso's flawlessly so long as they are on the internal drive. The only solution I've found is to just move the files to the drive when I would want to watch something. That isn't ideal. But I also can't fit all my 3D blu rays on one drive either.

So at each TV I have a mac mini which is the smallest Mac desktop. And I have Plex client installed there and have access to everything. All the files are located attached to my Xserve and about 48TB of storage so far.

post #810 of 830 Old 11-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chut Mingy View Post
Were you at some prior time using a version of windows 10 that had smb v1 enabled, and then upgraded windows?

If only smb v2+ is currently enabled, smb v1 can be temporarily enabled in Windows 10 just long enough to copy the files over.

I have been using the same version of Windows 10 since I installed it as far as I know. I haven't installed any new versions or anything.

As for the SMB 1 or 2, I have no idea what that is. All I know is my box showed up as a network location in my Windows Explorer and I could transfer files from my PC to the box that way. All of a sudden I could not transfer the files. No problem accessing, transferring, or playing the files on my PC from the box though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Kdlinks Hd720 Extreme Full Hd 1080p 3d Media Player With Internal Hdd Bay Gigabit Network Built In W

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page