Has anyone played a video on chromecast? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My situation is that I don't like television so I don't want one showing in my living room. However if I want to watch a movie I keep a flat screen TV in an armoire in the room. I take it out and set it on the coffee table and plug it in. I can play movies from Netflix on my laptop using Chromecast. The chromecast is self-contained because it plugs into the USB and the HDMI and becomes an accessory that is part of the TV itself.

However the TV is not network-enabled on its own. The only connection to the network is via the Chromecast. The real problem is that the finest picture quality come from HD broadcast or blu ray player. I'm looking for a wireless way to get the movie content from the blu-ray player to chrome. I probably will be able to figure this out pretty soon but maybe someone here can help speed up the figuring process?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 121
I haven't seen anything that will play a blu-ray disk to Chromecast, not even rumors. You can rip them and use Plex, which is probably your best alternative. Avia media player for android might be of interest as well for local files if you have a phone or tablet. Avia supports streaming from a media server, which can then be cast to your display. Alternately, if your laptop has a bluray player and HDMI you're golden.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As Nethawk says this is not so straight forward.

Your process would go like this assuming you want high quality video;
1) Rip Blu-ray movie to PC (using something like MakeMKV or AnyDVD-HD).
2) Use Handbrake to convert into x264/mp4 videos (time it takes depends on how fast PC is).
3) Install Plex media server on the laptop and add your mp4 video files into it.
4) Use Plex Theatre or Plex on phone to cast the movie to the Chromecast.

Steps 1 and 2 can be shortened as the expense of quality if you have an Intel Core i5/i7 laptop with the quicksync hardware encoder using DVDFab.

You cant beam raw Blu-ray video to a Chromecast, the wireless network interface is not fast enough even if the Chromecast supported that which it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 121
You don't really need step 2 above. I use MakeMKV and just rip to H.264/AC3, Plex has no problem with them. If file space is a concern Handbrake can be used, but in this use case long term storage doesn't seem to be necessary.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Plex has no issue with AC3 by it self (using a PC hooked upto receiver) but I can not get 5 channels of audio with plex server > Chromecast with ac3. It will not transcode the audio.

No problem with AAC, but AC3 will not push 5 channels of audio.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I did install Plex but it is a very "thick" solution, very complicated. So far Netflix is the only thing that works well with Chromecast. Newer TV's have Netflix and WLAN support so even that is not needed. Google did not do a good job on Chromecast. Boo hiss Google!

post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorp1 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I did install Plex but it is a very "thick" solution, very complicated. So far Netflix is the only thing that works well with Chromecast. Newer TV's have Netflix and WLAN support so even that is not needed. Google did not do a good job on Chromecast. Boo hiss Google!

I have been playing with Plex this morning and the suite of software it offers feels very convoluted. It doesn't tell you why it can't stream some stuff and it doesnt seem to work well.

I am curious if there is a GOOD solution for home media streaming of local content.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 13

Plex works well you just need to make sure the server your playing from has the codec in the server you have. Also back off the bandwidth in the server settings on the server. If you trying to 10 mbs your client may not be able to handle it.  I had simular issues when I started but I stated at the lower end and moved it up until I had a problem. 

Check out my website
post #9 of 9 Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2939 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
Plex is a really nice interface but the way it tries to fill in the file info is terrible and I've noticed a hit in quality using it over Serviio. Still, it plays well with a lot of stuff and ends up being worth the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page