Sub 100 dollar streamer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Ok, lets start with the obvious, I am cheap. Now that we have that out of the way let me explain what I am wanting.

I am a HUGE fan of XBMC. That said I dont know of any way under 100 bucks to get a decent small compact XBMC build baring Raspberry Pi, which I understand can be slightly buggy, and am still not sure if it can do lossless blu-ray audio.

I am currently ripping my blu-ray collection to another computer using MakeMKV. I am keeping the blu-ray movie and the lossless audio and not compressing them. So I am giving up lots of storage space, but keeping the files original (OCD about that).

I simply need a device to stream the MKV's and corresponding audio through my wired network to downstairs. I will connect this device via HDMI to my Integra and surround sound system. I will control it with the Harmony One remote.

I would "like" the interface to look nice and be relatively easy to navigate with a XBMC like list of the movies and also music.

I could give a crap about the following: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. All are covered by my Xbox 360 and soon to be Xbox One. I simply need media playback of MKV files.

So what suggested devices should I be looking at? AM I WRONG about Raspberry Pi?.

I am open to suggestions.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems like there are a lot of options:

Roku 3 running Plex - about $100
Google TV running Plex - about $130 (Sony NSZ-GS7)
Gbox Midnight running XBMC

I use the Sony NSZ-GS7 running Plex, connected to my HP Mediasmart server running Plex server software. Works great.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post

Seems like there are a lot of options:

Roku 3 running Plex - about $100
Google TV running Plex - about $130 (Sony NSZ-GS7)
Gbox Midnight running XBMC

I use the Sony NSZ-GS7 running Plex, connected to my HP Mediasmart server running Plex server software. Works great.

I found another one. PIVOS XIOS DS.

Looks to be able to run XBMC on Linux decent, but some report lots of lag, others report none.

I LIKE XBMC since I am somewhat familiar with how it works.

I think for now I will just get all the movies ripped to a 3 TB drive on my main system and play with XBMC on it. Once I get it down I will check this again.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

I found another one. PIVOS XIOS DS.

Looks to be able to run XBMC on Linux decent, but some report lots of lag, others report none.

I LIKE XBMC since I am somewhat familiar with how it works.

I think for now I will just get all the movies ripped to a 3 TB drive on my main system and play with XBMC on it. Once I get it down I will check this again.

Personally, I don't mind the extra work to get XBMC working (I've only done Windows so far) because of the pay-off. Sounds like you might also be in this group.

Others (like my brother) couldn't care less as long as the movies play. He's also, not real good with computers. Anyway, I helped him install two WD-TV-SMP. They work really well. See the thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1364999/official-wd-tv-live-streaming-media-player-thread

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #5 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Personally, I don't mind the extra work to get XBMC working (I've only done Windows so far) because of the pay-off. Sounds like you might also be in this group.

Others (like my brother) couldn't care less as long as the movies play. He's also, not real good with computers. Anyway, I helped him install two WD-TV-SMP. They work really well. See the thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1364999/official-wd-tv-live-streaming-media-player-thread

I am in the IT field, and I know my way around XBMC a bit, hence not being super scared of it. With that said I want to make sure the hardware works with 1080p and lossless audio and is worth the payoff. I dont know if there are any sub 100 streamers out there that can do that for sure.

But again, I dont have tons of time, so the WD TV is intriguing, however since I use XBMC upstairs in my 2 channel system, and on my laptop, I would prefer to NOT have to learn another interface...

post #6 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WD Live cant do DTS-MA, only DTS and downscales to 5.1 from 7.1. That for me is a dealbreaker.

post #7 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I am in the IT field, and I know my way around XBMC a bit, hence not being super scared of it. With that said I want to make sure the hardware works with 1080p and lossless audio and is worth the payoff. I dont know if there are any sub 100 streamers out there that can do that for sure.

But again, I dont have tons of time, so the WD TV is intriguing, however since I use XBMC upstairs in my 2 channel system, and on my laptop, I would prefer to NOT have to learn another interface...

WDTV-SMP has always bitstreamed DD/AC3 and DTS 5.1. Even True-HD but with DTS-HD you just got 5.1 core.

Someone said this in that thread a while back: Using a wired network it has the chops to play high bitrate 1080p BluRay rips perfectly. I use native 1080p BD.m2ts files and my highest bitrate titles are 42 Mbps.

Those players are at my brother's house so I can't check them. I know it plays most MKV no problem. You can always pick it up at BestBuy and take it back if you don't like it. A recent firmware update suppose-ably finally enables full decoding of DTS-HD Master Audio. Lots of good info in that thread. He really likes his and runs two off a wired gigabit network. I have him using his Win7-64 desktop as file-server. Also, be aware that newer WD-Play is a different machine (lesser I think ... or geared more toward streaming than local playback like we are doing).

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #8 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

WDTV-SMP has always bitstreamed DD/AC3 and DTS 5.1. Even True-HD but with DTS-HD you just got 5.1 core.

Someone said this in that thread a while back: Using a wired network it has the chops to play high bitrate 1080p BluRay rips perfectly. I use native 1080p BD.m2ts files and my highest bitrate titles are 42 Mbps.

Those players are at my brother's house so I can't check them. I know it plays most MKV no problem. You can always pick it up at BestBuy and take it back if you don't like it. A recent firmware update suppose-ably finally enables full decoding of DTS-HD Master Audio. Lots of good info in that thread. He really likes his and runs two off a wired gigabit network. I have him using his Win7-64 desktop as file-server. Also, be aware that newer WD-Play is a different machine (lesser I think ... or geared more toward streaming than local playback like we are doing).

Yeah, I am farther in the thread and see they JUST updated to allow that. So I might take a swing at it. I need to find some reviews online with video showing the interface of it as I REALLY liked the interface of XBMC, so I still may go with a PIVOS or however you spell it with a linux based XBMC instal.

post #9 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WDTV SMP with the latest firmware plays DTS-HD and TrueHD
post #10 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also this will be wired as well. I have a switch in my entertainment rack since I have a Xbox 360, Uverse DVR, Smart TV all right there.

post #11 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Since CES 2014 I've become interested in Android TV again. I think this is going to become the best, most economical choice for XBMC in the next few months.

post #12 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Dunno. Right now it still can't stream std-ma or truehd. Abd it's a hardware limitation currently.

post #13 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like you want the Bread, the butter and want to keep the money to buy them.

If you are looking for fast ui, bd ISO streaming, dts-hd and ddtruhd, xbmc you won't find a sub 100$ , hell you Will have a tough time to find a decent 300$ to do it. If I were you I'd wait to have the money and I'd build a small form factor htpc.

I've tried the ouya, Apple TV 2, pivos (this one sucks bad), raspberry pi (best of the bunch if you choose your skin wisely and use Spmc). But feature will be missing at this price point, mostly no hd audio or ISO support

You could also check out "the little black box"

If you find that dream box let me know

Good luck

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
post #14 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlan19 View Post

Looks like you want the Bread, the butter and want to keep the money to buy them.

If you are looking for fast ui, bd ISO streaming, dts-hd and ddtruhd, xbmc you won't find a sub 100$ , hell you Will have a tough time to find a decent 300$ to do it. If I were you I'd wait to have the money and I'd build a small form factor htpc.

I've tried the ouya, Apple TV 2, pivos (this one sucks bad), raspberry pi (best of the bunch if you choose your skin wisely and use Spmc). But feature will be missing at this price point, mostly no hd audio or ISO support

You could also check out "the little black box"

If you find that dream box let me know

Good luck

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Yup it appears your correct. I will just keep using my laptop for now and connect it as needed.

Will focus on upping my storage capability for now.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Why not the WDTV Live smp? Or the KDlinks?
post #16 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Why not the WDTV Live smp? Or the KDlinks?

Simply put they lack the graphical display of data the way I want. They look too much like accessing computer files and not enough like picking movies

XBMC is hard to beat from a skin's perspective.

post #17 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Simply put they lack the graphical display of data the way I want. They look too much like accessing computer files and not enough like picking movies

XBMC is hard to beat from a skin's perspective.

Apparently you haven't really looked at the SMP then. Plus alot of the custom themes are made to look like and mimic XBMC.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

Apparently you haven't really looked at the SMP then. Plus alot of the custom themes are made to look like and mimic XBMC.

Trust me I have. I watched a bunch of different video's showing it in action. The "look" may mimic XBMC, but the ability to customize or remote sections of the main menu dont exist. All I need is either Video's or Music. I dont need Setup, Files, etc. And those are options I cannot remove from the screen with the WD Live.

In addition when you select a "Movie" off your computer you browse to it similar to Windows Explorer.

I want something more like this

which unless I am missing something is NOT how the WD Live will display the titles.

I dont need Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, etc as all those are served up via my Xbox 360.

post #19 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Trust me I have. I watched a bunch of different video's showing it in action. The "look" may mimic XBMC, but the ability to customize or remote sections of the main menu dont exist. All I need is either Video's or Music. I dont need Setup, Files, etc. And those are options I cannot remove from the screen with the WD Live.

In addition when you select a "Movie" you browse to it similar to Windows Explorer.

I want something more like this

which unless I am missing something is NOT how the WD Live will display the titles.

Yes the SMP can display movies just like that and you can remove the options in the main setup by modify the xmls in the theme.
post #20 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes the SMP can display movies just like that and you can remove the options in the main setup by modify the xmls in the theme.

So when you talk about modifying xml's your talking about hacking it then I take it?

post #21 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yes and No...whatever theme you decide to use just list the xmls and remove what you don't want. It's pretty easy...

Go to WD Community under the streaming player or Hub to see the different themes and uses.
post #22 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes and No...whatever theme you decide to use just list the xmls and remove what you don't want. It's pretty easy...

Go to WD Community under the streaming player or Hub to see the different themes and uses.

I see that... now this may make it viable. I LOVED the AEON skin in XBMC...... see there is a close counterpart.....

post #23 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I picked up some refurb Lacie Lacinema Mini HD for less than 40 bux each a while ago. If you attach a drive to it and give each movie a .jpg with the same name then it displays like that.

Only thing it doesn't do is decode HD sound (it passes it through via HDMI).

That may be an option.
post #24 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Got tired of always fiddling and adjusting my htpc. Switched to the wdtv and never looked back. Grab the remote. Hit a couple buttons and watch. It has all the customization you want. Or you can leave it stock. But there is no os to manage. No drivers. No video card. Just bought a house and suddenly needed to stream my rips all over the house to 3 zones. Cant find a pc for the same price of what the wdtv can do. And managing 3 pc's in the house? Forget it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player With Motion Remote , Sony Nsz Gs7 Internet Player With Google Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page