Help streaming 1080p content from NAS to HD TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am praying someone can help.

I have a QNAP TS-212p NAS connected to a gigabit ASUS AC66U router. I store all my video content on my NAS. I have no issues streaming the 1080p content to my laptop my via wireless. It plays smoothly with no judder. My issue is my TV lan connection, which is connected to my router is 10/100. When I play some higher bit rate content I get judder of the 10/100 connection. Lower bit rate dvd rips play smoothly. I am thinking the 10/100 connection from the router to the TV is the issue. I have extra unused hdmi ports on the TV. I am open to all suggestions. Is there something I can do to get the NAS content to get to my TV via HDMI vs 10/100. I am stumped and annoyed that they are wired together and I can't play 1080p smoothly. 

btw, I have tried copying a movie to a usb key, plugging that usb key directly into my TV and it plays smoothly. 

HELP PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
What network bitrate actually is being used by the TV?

"10/100" is an indication that a network adapter is able to run either at 10Mbits/sec or at 100Mbits/second. 10Mbits/second is not adequate for smooth high-definition video streaming.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 30 Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am aware of that. I am looking for regarding regarding getting an intermediate device to stream the content to my tv. For example, a roku or WD TV live. I am looking for suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
WDTV Live would be my choice.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Paradigm Home Speaker set 5.1 Cinema 100
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #5 of 30 Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have the same Qnap and Asus as you. I can stream 1080p mkv's no problem at all using either a Sony BDP-s390, a Sony BDP-s5100 (my NAS shows up in the video section) or a Roku 2 or 3, just using the Twonky flavor that comes withe the Qnap. This is straight streaming, no transcoding. Works perfectly for me. Has to be a problem with a cable I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancharles View Post

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am praying someone can help.

I have a QNAP TS-212p NAS connected to a gigabit ASUS AC66U router. I store all my video content on my NAS. I have no issues streaming the 1080p content to my laptop my via wireless. It plays smoothly with no judder. My issue is my TV lan connection, which is connected to my router is 10/100. When I play some higher bit rate content I get judder of the 10/100 connection. Lower bit rate dvd rips play smoothly. I am thinking the 10/100 connection from the router to the TV is the issue. I have extra unused hdmi ports on the TV. I am open to all suggestions. Is there something I can do to get the NAS content to get to my TV via HDMI vs 10/100. I am stumped and annoyed that they are wired together and I can't play 1080p smoothly. 

btw, I have tried copying a movie to a usb key, plugging that usb key directly into my TV and it plays smoothly. 

HELP PLEASE!!!
post #6 of 30 Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I run a plex server to my roku's thoughout the house. I have no problems streaming large hd files with it.  

The main reason I am running a plex server instead of XMBC is you can get native clients on the roku.  You could also use chromecast as a client.

I have a wd live but it has issues sometimes with MKV's and very large files.  The problem is you never know when it will work. I ended up just buying a roku to replace the wd tv.  

Check out my website
post #7 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

tiger:

What hw are you using for your plex server

post #8 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I tried the Plex as well. Very nice. Simple to setup and run. The only reason I don't use it is I would have to have my computer on, versus the NAS. They don't have a reliable flavor of Plex for my Qnap, yet.
Quote:

tiger:

What hw are you using for your plex server
post #9 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM

ryancharles,

There is an unofficial PLEX package for the ARM platform (your QNAP 212 is ARM based) this would allow you to run PLEX on your NAS.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/56426-download-unofficial-plex-qnap-arm-packages-here/

You will have to experiment to see what kind of results you will get.

Is the TV your only client? and what type of TV is it? (brand / model)

Chris
post #10 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

My qnap hardware is not robust enough to run plex smoothly. I have one of the lower end models and have tried and it's painful. People on the Asus forum have been helpful and I think it's the router, which is weird considering I have a top of the line router. Pretty much if my QNAP is set at 1000mbps and my WDTVlive is set to 100mbps, I think the buffers in my router can't keep up and I get packet loss. when I forced the QNAP to 100mps to match what the WDTVlive is capable of the issue immediately went away, so it's the router.

I am have other qnap WDTVlive issues:

After about 15-20 minutes. I can't stop playing certain files. The files play fine through the wdtvlive, but when I hit the stop or home button on the remote I can still hear the movie audio even though the home screen has come up.If I navigate through the menu back to the movie and click on it, it's still there playing! I have even rebooted the wdtvlive and when it comes back up it is still playing, so I think it's a QNAP issue. The only thing that solves it is to reboot the NAS. I read on another post that disabling UPNP on the NAS fixed the issue. I tried that and it appeared to work, but after 15min the problem re-occurred. Has anyone experienced this?

I checked the QNAP forum and apparently this is a common issue, with not much of a solution. people of tried downgrading firmware or disabling UPNP with mixed results. I am at a loss. unless someone here has an idea. I might just return the WDTVlive. Any suggestion on a good media player?

post #11 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry johansoncm,

My TV is the only direct client. I stream to my laptop as well, but I use VLC and an SMB share.

post #12 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

johansoncm

I have downloaded and installed the media server. Much better results then when I tried a couple of months ago. I have enabled DLNA through the app, but my TV can't see it. I disabled twonky first. Is there something else I need to do?

post #13 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Sounds you have a few different issues going on.

Just to be clear the WD TV Live is the client (player) that is hooked up to your TV. The QNAP is serving up the media.

Are you using the native Video Station that is built into the QNAP? what format are the files that you are trying to stream? how were they encoded, etc.

What i'm getting at is that what you are doing is not unrealistic, maybe not optimal but should get you decent results if the video files are in the proper format that the QNAP can serve and the client can decode.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Liked: 13

Running a media server on a QNAP to precess files is probaly not a good idea.  If you really want  to do things right a server for HD video is needed. The main reason you need something with a better processor. This is especially true if your looking at blu ray quality files. The qnap is really just good a serving files. You want to offload encoding to something else.

Mac Mini makes a good media server for most people. If you have enough room run a desktop.

IN theory your WD Lives should work well  I brought one based the fct it supposed to play all types of formats. I have found though it seems to lack the processing abilty to stream directly or the software is just to buggy. I ended up just buying a roku and offloading it to plex.

Check out my website
post #15 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM

I am confused by what you are doing, I have an older 6 bay QNAP with two gigabit ports that I bond on my switch, I can play any media files from it through my WDTV live no problem at all, I have zero issues, as should you. Setup a share for your media on your Qnap, connect your WDTV to it, connect your WTDV to your HT receiver if you have one via HDMI and thats all there is to it.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #16 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

ash_man:

I have exactly the same setup as you.

starting scenario

QNAP(1000gbps) -> ASUS router -> WDTLLive (100mbs) ->Samung TV (HDMI)

I get studder/judder playing blu-ray MKV files

Later scenario

QNAP(100gbps) -> ASUS router -> WDTLLive (100mbs) ->Samung TV (HDMI)

forced QNAP to 100mbps which completely solved the issue. I believe my router is the problem.

In both scenarios I have the following issues

1) After about 15-20 minutes. I can't stop playing certain files. The files play fine through the wdtvlive, but when I hit the stop or home button on the remote I can still hear the movie audio even though the home screen has come up.If I navigate through the menu back to the movie and click on it, it's still there playing! I have even rebooted the wdtvlive and when it comes back up it is still playing, so I think it's a QNAP issue. The only thing that solves it is to reboot the NAS. I read on another post that disabling UPNP on the NAS fixed the issue. I tried that and it appeared to work, but after 15min the problem re-occurred.

2) If I reboot the WDTVLive I lose my network share connection and can't re-establish it. The WDTVLive just tells me it cant find any windows shares to connect to. I have to reset the WDTVLive to factory defaults to get the options to re-connect.

post #17 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 05:47 PM

How do you have the shares setup on the Qnap? Are both your Qnap and WDTV running the latest firmware? Perhaps buy a small 5 port gigabit switch and use that to connect your Qnap to your WDTV to see if that helps. You shouldn't have to mess with the network port setting on the Qnap and you certainly shouldn't have to be rebooting either the Qnap or the WDTV let alone resetting the WDTV to factory defaults.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #18 of 30 Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Shares on my QNAP are regular windows network shares. (SMB). Both the QNAP and WDTVLIve are the latest firmware. One of the first things I checked. Buying a small switch did cross my mind. Perhaps I will try that tomorrow. Though even if that fixes the stream issue, I still have the other issue, such as can't stop playing movies ect...I will let you know if that works. Thanks for advice.

post #19 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I received a suggestion for the ASUS forum to use NFS instead of SMB.

I enabled NFS on my NAS and WDTVLive and like magic, Avatar streamed beautifully...no buffering of any kind. Set my NAS back at 1000mbps and still awesome. My other two issues went away as well. I can stop playing movies and if I reboot my wdtvlive I don't lose my connection with my NAS. I was litterally jumping up and down

.....UNTIL.....

now some movies wont play at all....ARGHH.

I can browse my share, select the movie and all I get is the wdtvlive spinning arrow...forever. I tried playing the same movie with my windows laptop over wireless with VLC and worked immediately.

post #20 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM

NFC will fix some problems but only for awhile, I have run into that before as well. You need to figure out why they won't work over SMB, that should be your goal, they work fine over SMB for me and everyone else, they should for you as well.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #21 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Ash_man...you are very right. Issues started again..No buffering, but I can't stop videos playing.  I am out of ideas. I will probably just return the wdtvlive. Wasting too much of my time on something that should just work. 

post #22 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Ash_Man. Just wondering what did you do to fix your issue? Perhaps it's something I haven't tried yet.

post #23 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Eventually I replaced my main network switch but that happened because it died. I haven't had buffering issues in awhile, the last time was when I had to replace a UPS and power down all my equipment, but I just rebooted my NAS and all was good. Both my TV and Movie NAS are connected to a small 8 port Cisco managed gigabit switch, each NAS has two network ports that are bonded on the switch, this switch is then connected to an uplink port on my main 24+2 Cisco gigabit switch. My TV NAS is the QNap 6 bay TS639 its an older model but its never given me any problems, I've never had buffering issues with it. I stream to either a Boxee Box ( I have a few) or a WDTV Live, no issues.

In your case I would try a new switch first, make sure your network cables are good quality Cat5e not home made. You really shouldn't be suffering from buffering issues no matter how big the file. I can stream 20+GB files from my Movie NAS no issues.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #24 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ash_man. By buffering issues are solved for the moment. My main issue at the moment is not being able to stop a movie after 15 to 20 minutes. It just keeps playing in the background and I have to reboot my nas.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ash_man how is the boxee compared to the wdtvlive, if I wanted to try a different device?

post #26 of 30 Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Sepen,

streaming from QNAP to the roku via twonky DLNA. Can you scrape any movie meta data? I like the photo art, movie info etc...

post #27 of 30 Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Ash_man how is the boxee compared to the wdtvlive, if I wanted to try a different device?

They are pretty comparable but the Boxee is no longer made or supported so its a dead device. I prefer it to the WDTV due to the way it displays movies with the box cover art etc, but they do tend to die after a couple of years, I've been through quite a few of them.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #28 of 30 Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Weird, I've got my old an current Live for years and a buddy of mine still stands by his original WDTV (not Live).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #29 of 30 Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM

The original WDTV was ok, it just didn't have a network connection and couldn't decode DTS without and receiver, otherwise it was fine.

BenQ W1080ST
125" Elite Screen
Denon AVR S710W
Harmony 650
Asus Chromebox
post #30 of 30 Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 12

I also have a WD Live that I stream my movies from. I use PS3 Media Server when streaming to my PS3, and use the MyPlay software that came with my Roku,

I used to have buffering problems with my old Linksys switch which was 10/100, but then I upgraded my computer network adapter and network switch to 10/100/1000 and no more buffering problems :-)

I have read that using Cat 5e or 6/6e cables would help move large files over your network better, so maybe...?

I do have one thing that bothers me though, on the Roku--when playing movies or shows, I can hear some background noise throughout whatever is being played. I can only describe it as interference/static. It's not persistent, but I can hear it, especially when there's any sort of heavy action playing. I don't know if something near my Roku box is causing that or if it has something to do with the audio bitrate of the material that was transcoded. Has anybody else has this problem? Like I said, the background noise isn't always there, but it does come on whenever there's a scene with action in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Asus Rt Ac66u Wireless Router Ieee 802 11ac Rt Ac66u , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page