Sony FMP-X10 owners thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 801Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenButteredJam View Post
Thanks Carlos, you would think the social media person would be able to communicate effectively with the appropriate staff on a simple question.
What she tweeted is the exact opposite of a Sony press release.

Sony XBR-75X940C, two XBR-65X930C, Sony XBR-65X900B, two Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Players, four Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofers.
Carlos_E is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenButteredJam View Post
@sonysupportusa just said this FMP-X10 will not receive the Amazon app. Is this news to anyone or should I have already known this?
I opened a ticket with them 3 weeks ago and called them the other day for an update on where the Amazon 4K app is that was promised in the Dec 9 2014 press release.
The rep said that it is delayed but can not tell me when it will be released. I know that the 930c / 940c is missing the 4K Amazon app - not sure if they will come out together. I heard end of July for Amazon 4k app on the C tvs.

Ps - most of the sony reps are CLUELESS !!!!!
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2853 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roller11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Yep, you nailed it. Have to use an HDCP 2.2 port and if you've had the FMP for a while, you'll need the firmware that removes making it a Sony-only device. I really wish Samsung would make their 4k movie drives open. That would really increase sales, though it is far more limited in selection than the Sony, which has a movie store behind it.
How do I D/L the FW update, are there instructions with the unit? I'll probably pickup a used one on Ebay.

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7
roller11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2854 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
How do I D/L the FW update, are there instructions with the unit? I'll probably pickup a used one on Ebay.
Once connected to the internet the X10 will download updates and apply them - nothing you need to do but answer prompts to accept the upgrade.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2855 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roller11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Once connected to the internet the X10 will download updates and apply them - nothing you need to do but answer prompts to accept the upgrade.
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing some real 4K!

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7
roller11 is offline  
post #2856 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Member
 
x21inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenButteredJam View Post
@sonysupportusa just said this FMP-X10 will not receive the Amazon app. Is this news to anyone or should I have already known this?
Hate to say I told you so.
x21inc is online now  
post #2857 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
Hate to say I told you so.
It is not a question of getting the Amazon 4K app but a question of when. Unless you work for Sony and know something different.

Second paragraph - last sentence:
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-exp...instant-video/

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 06-26-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2858 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
JimSatala77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ft. Myers Beach FL.
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would rather get the MGo app they have a boatload of uhd titles that are new releases and they have hdr
JimSatala77 is offline  
post #2859 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roller11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I would rather get the MGo app they have a boatload of uhd titles that are new releases and they have hdr
Are there 4K movies pre-loaded on the fmp-x10? If so, is there a list somewhere that lists all the real full length Hollywood movies pre-loaded on it?

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7
roller11 is offline  
post #2860 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Member
 
x21inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
It is not a question of getting the Amazon 4K app but a question of when. Unless you work for Sony and know something different.

Second paragraph - last sentence:
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-exp...instant-video/
Did you know the Amazon 4K app carries just about the same offerings in content as the 4K unlimited app? I know they have no interest in adding an app that competes with their 4K unlimited app. We took the "Amazon 4K app by spring" bait but yet, here we are posting links of more Sony promises.

Last edited by x21inc; 06-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.
x21inc is online now  
post #2861 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post
Are there 4K movies pre-loaded on the fmp-x10? If so, is there a list somewhere that lists all the real full length Hollywood movies pre-loaded on it?
No preloaded content. There are titles avail for free download but they are short clips - most just 5 mins or less. You have to create a Sony Playstation account and give a cc# to join. Nothing will be charged to your card for the free titles.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2862 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
Did you know that the Amazon 4K app carries just about the same offerings in content as the 4K unlimited app? I know they have no interest in adding an app that competes with their 4K unlimited app. We took the "Amazon 4K app by spring" bait but yet, here we are posting links of more Sony promises.
The original series on Amazon are what I am interested in. Mozart in the Jungle and Bosch mainly.

Also streaming quality is NOWHERE near the 4K download quality of a Sony 4K movie. So I don't think that Netflix and Amazon are competition for the Sony 4K titles. UHD Bluray is the competition.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 06-26-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2863 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,262
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
The 3D standard is the same, how the display handles it is up to the display. It can be frame-packed, side by side or over/under and still be decoded. On my Sony Projector 3D has worked as it alway has on my previous 3d projectors. It could be that Sony didn't include the device 3D chip in the FMP and so that is why it can't be done, but if that's the case it doesn't make sense to leave out features from a $700 product that you regularly supply to your under $100 products.

Like the idea you have about maximizing hard drives both for USB and the rear drive. I could at least get some of my 12 TB of movies available.
There's also no devices doing 4K 3D right now anyway and as we know its not a part of the UHD Bluray specs either. So unless they made a 1080p mode on the X10(which I can't see them doing on a native 4K outputting device), 3D is a pretty moot point.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #2864 of 3914 Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roller11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
No preloaded content. There are titles avail for free download but they are short clips - most just 5 mins or less. You have to create a Sony Playstation account and give a cc# to join. Nothing will be charged to your card for the free titles.
Okay, thanks for the info.

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7
roller11 is offline  
post #2865 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 AM
Member
 
x21inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post

Also streaming quality is NOWHERE near the 4K download quality of a Sony 4K movie. So I don't think that Netflix and Amazon are competition for the Sony 4K titles. UHD Bluray is the competition.
Its a pity Sony doesn't see it that way but hey, it's just been an awful long time to wait for an app. I had to go buy a TV with the Amazon 4K app to enjoy the programming you mentioned.
x21inc is online now  
post #2866 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Member
 
sage540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I just hooked up a new 940c and I'm running a the 4K media player through the Yamaha 2020 Advantage receiver I have which claims to have 4k passthrough. Message on screen reads that the HDMI port is not HDCP compliant and thus I can't use the 4K media payer via the review I suppose. Is the fact that my 2 year old Yamaha 2020 just won't work with the media player even though it claims 4K passthrough? Thanks.
sage540 is offline  
post #2867 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,010
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage540 View Post
So I just hooked up a new 940c and I'm running a the 4K media player through the Yamaha 2020 Advantage receiver I have which claims to have 4k passthrough. Message on screen reads that the HDMI port is not HDCP compliant and thus I can't use the 4K media payer via the review I suppose. Is the fact that my 2 year old Yamaha 2020 just won't work with the media player even though it claims 4K passthrough? Thanks.
Use of the X10 requires HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #2868 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage540 View Post
So I just hooked up a new 940c and I'm running a the 4K media player through the Yamaha 2020 Advantage receiver I have which claims to have 4k passthrough. Message on screen reads that the HDMI port is not HDCP compliant and thus I can't use the 4K media payer via the review I suppose. Is the fact that my 2 year old Yamaha 2020 just won't work with the media player even though it claims 4K passthrough? Thanks.
If your receiver does not have HDCP 2.2 you have to split the audio and video across the 2 HDMI outputs and send video to TV and audio to your receiver and change settings on player to handle this. Good luck since most have reported dropouts in audio with this setup.

Maybe your receiver has a firmware upgrade to support the latest copy protection?
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2869 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Member
 
sage540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
If your receiver does not have HDCP 2.2 you have to split the audio and video across the 2 HDMI outputs and send video to TV and audio to your receiver and change settings on player to handle this. Good luck since most have reported dropouts in audio with this setup.

Maybe your receiver has a firmware upgrade to support the latest copy protection?
Thanks. This thing is going on the wall in a dedicated media room with theater seating. It's wired so that every cord and cable are hidden so I want to be able to run everything through the receiver and then go one HDMI to the TV. Guess I'm going to best buy to get a new receiver tomorrow. Not a ton of choices out there for HDCP compatibility but more than there were a month ago, yes?
sage540 is offline  
post #2870 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thestewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago
Posts: 2,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage540 View Post
Thanks. This thing is going on the wall in a dedicated media room with theater seating. It's wired so that every cord and cable are hidden so I want to be able to run everything through the receiver and then go one HDMI to the TV. Guess I'm going to best buy to get a new receiver tomorrow. Not a ton of choices out there for HDCP compatibility but more than there were a month ago, yes?
You might want to rethink your choices. With Blu Ray 4K and other changes on the horizon there are not many choices in the current receivers that would be compatible when they are released.
Having a second or third run of HDMI and an wired ethernet connection, wireless usually has stutter and other problems, to the display maybe prove invaluable down the road.
There will always be another device like the FMP-X10, media server, game player etc. you may want to test or install.
You may also want to consider a run of audio cables either coaxial or optical back to the receiver from the display to enable audio from apps originating on the display to be played through the surround system in your home theater.

Last edited by thestewman; 06-27-2015 at 11:41 AM.
thestewman is offline  
post #2871 of 3914 Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Member
 
sage540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very helpful. Better to run those cables now just in case. Thanks.
sage540 is offline  
post #2872 of 3914 Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 453
From what I'd heard, it's an Amazon issue that both companies are currently working on. App is delayed, but still planned for X10.
ggw2000, Carlos_E and aflorida like this.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #2873 of 3914 Old 06-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Why does it say 1080 SD and 2160SD on the display button when you are streaming Netflix through the x10?
RiED27880 is offline  
post #2874 of 3914 Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Why does it say 1080 SD and 2160SD on the display button when you are streaming Netflix through the x10?
That is coming from Netflix and is based on content being watched when pressing the x10 display button.
The TV display shows the media player input at 3840x2160p regardless of what type of content is being watched on Netflix.
RiED27880 likes this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2875 of 3914 Old 06-28-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Why does it say 1080 SD and 2160SD on the display button when you are streaming Netflix through the x10?
Ignore the letter designation, when it's 2160 you're getting a full 4K signal from Netlix. The only difference is the bitrate you receive through your ISP, which can run anywhere between 7Mbps and 16Mbps.

New televisions only use numbers for Netflix resolution.

The "el fuente" clip on Netflix shows embedded bitrate and resolution.
RiED27880 likes this.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #2876 of 3914 Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,982
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenButteredJam View Post
@sonysupportusa just said this FMP-X10 will not receive the Amazon app. Is this news to anyone or should I have already known this?
Thanks for the heads up. Did you notice they retracted their denial on Twitter by stating that the app would be released in Spring 2015? You can't make this stuff up. Why is the only indication I've seen of an official reason for the delay in this thread? I'd prefer something more official, and it isn't a lot to ask.
x21inc likes this.

Matt
turls is offline  
post #2877 of 3914 Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing one of these, however, I do not have a SONY TV - My TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant though. Would a new unit actually come with the firmware upgrade already installed and ready to use out of the box, that allows this to be used on any HDCP 2.2 compliant device?

AND if it does not, what do I do to get the firmware updated? ha!
Jared Reall is offline  
post #2878 of 3914 Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Reall View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing one of these, however, I do not have a SONY TV - My TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant though. Would a new unit actually come with the firmware upgrade already installed and ready to use out of the box, that allows this to be used on any HDCP 2.2 compliant device?

AND if it does not, what do I do to get the firmware updated? ha!

The x10 will download and update itself to the latest firmware when you turn it on. There is a way to check for software updates through the menu as well. As long as your TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant on an HDMI connection you should be good. Since that update came out a while ago I would think new units already have that update though.
Carlos_E likes this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #2879 of 3914 Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
The x10 will download and update itself to the latest firmware when you turn it on. There is a way to check for software updates through the menu as well. As long as your TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant on an HDMI connection you should be good.
So awesome. This is what I was hoping for. Excited to try this lil box out! Been waiting for something like this - Thanks for the quick reply!
Mdjones9137 likes this.
Jared Reall is offline  
post #2880 of 3914 Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Reall View Post
So awesome. This is what I was hoping for. Excited to try this lil box out! Been waiting for something like this - Thanks for the quick reply!
Before you pay full price at a retailer check Ebay and Craiglist. I found 2 brand new unopened in the box X-10s on both sites and paid $375 and $425 for them.
RiED27880 and Mdjones9137 like this.

Sony XBR-75X940C, two XBR-65X930C, Sony XBR-65X900B, two Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Players, four Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofers.
Carlos_E is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
fmp-x10

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off