Where Did Netflix "2160HD" Go? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 66 Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
Sorry for getting the posts confused... But I DID read all the posts here, very happy to see people here taking action, researching further, etc....
...and sorry I may have sounded a little pissed on that post where I was confused with another member but I have been on all the threads about this topic since yesterday...reading and posting..and calling reps..that I am exhausted! I just want to take the FMPX10 and throw it out the window and jump along with it.
Yeah I know Netflix 4K never had much content:"House of Cards"..."Breaking Bad"..."Blacklist" and Nature Shorts but atleast Netflix 4K streaming is much less expensive then the 4K Video Unlimited Titles that are mostly older titles to Buy at $39.99...I was staying clear away from 4K video unlimited because of the prices. And now with this 4K Netflix mess what is left on the FMPX10 to enjoy in 4K? Absolutly nothing! Someone get me a Valium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 79
^^

See

As michaeltscott says 'Play "El Fuente: 60 MP10", a test clip with bit rate/resolution information printed on each of its constituent video encodes.'
post #33 of 66 Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
^^

See

As michaeltscott says 'Play "El Fuente: 60 MP10", a test clip with bit rate/resolution information printed on each of its constituent video encodes.'
Found El Fuente 60MP10 on Netflix and ran thru the entire 7 minutes showing Bitrate and Resolution..each Bitrate showed 16000 kbps (I believe one was 14400)and Resolution showed 3840x2160 on each along with PAR,BIT DEPTH and FRAME RATE and when pressing Display on Remote showed 2160SD on each. All look stunning to say the least. What does all this mean exactly?

Last edited by aflorida; 10-12-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Found El Fuente 60MP10 on Netflix and ran thru the entire 7 minutes showing Bitrate and Resolution..each Bitrate showed 16000 kbps (I believe one was 14400)and Resolution showed 3840x2160 on each along with PAR,BIT DEPTH and FRAME RATE and when pressing Display on Remote showed 2160SD on each. All look stunning to say the least. What does all this mean exactly?
You are getting the highest resolution 2160P Ultra HD stream from Netflix - ignore the change of label from 2160HD to 2160SD - they are just labels.
Citivas likes this.
post #35 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are getting the highest resolution 2160P Ultra HD stream from Netflix - ignore the change of label from 2160HD to 2160SD - they are just labels.
thanks..very glad you introduced me to this test...by it registering 16000 and 3840x2160 told u so...is that how u read the results. What would have been my results if i did not get the max stream from NETFLIX. I'm eager to learn all that I didnt know before. Please reply back --undecided-- thxs again.
post #36 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I have seen it reported there are '4 2160p encodes for Netflix "Ultra HD 4K" titles: 8000 Kbps, 10000 Kbps, 12000 Kbps and 15600 Kbps'.

Those whose routers support it can check what average bit rate you are getting when your player is reporting 2160 SD. You also need to allow for audio and buffer filling - but it should give you an indication.
I talked with Netflix yesterday and they told me that you now need 25000 Kbps for UHD 4k , I also raised my plan to the 11.99 rate and am still getting 2160sd
post #37 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Taormina View Post
I talked with Netflix yesterday and they told me that you now need 25000 Kbps for UHD 4k , I also raised my plan to the 11.99 rate and am still getting 2160sd
I would ignore the 2160 SD label. Did you try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" and see what bit rate it reports.
post #38 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would ignore the 2160 SD label. Did you try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" and see what bit rate it reports.
TO: JACK TAORMINA: Don't believe everything a Netflix rep tells you..Since Saturday when I noticed 2160SD instead of 2160HD i started reading all the threads here,posting on all the threads and exhausting myself. I have spoken to atleast 7 Netflix reps and even spoke to supervisor level and each time you call you will get a different reason/answer. I have also been told SD is not standing for Standard Definition anymore it is now standing for 2160 SUPER DEFINITION (SD)...Who knows? Who cares? 2160 lines of resolution is definitly not Standard Definition. Stop calling Netflix or even Sony it will just confuse/upset you and all of us even more. Folks on this AVS forum are more intelligent and have more expierence with all technical "stuff" then just a rep who answers the phone. Try EL FUENTE as others have reported(see above posts).
post #39 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
TO: JACK TAORMINA: Don't believe everything a Netflix rep tells you..Since Saturday when I noticed 2160SD instead of 2160HD i started reading all the threads here,posting on all the threads and exhausting myself. I have spoken to atleast 7 Netflix reps and even spoke to supervisor level and each time you call you will get a different reason/answer. I have also been told SD is not standing for Standard Definition anymore it is now standing for 2160 SUPER DEFINITION (SD)...Who knows? Who cares? 2160 lines of resolution is definitly not Standard Definition. Stop calling Netflix or even Sony it will just confuse/upset you and all of us even more. Folks on this AVS forum are more intelligent and have more expierence with all technical "stuff" then just a rep who answers the phone. Try EL FUENTE as others have reported(see above posts).

As a stockholder in Netflix I took advantage of a way to possibly get something to Reed Hastings,
The man in charge at Netfix.
I sent him the following message.
Maybe we will get an answer.

I am writing you because I have encountered a problem with Netflix and your customer service people have no idea what to say or answer.
Recently your tech people made changes to your system and now there is no 4K being streamed. The best one can get is SD which has a decidedly less than good video picture and even less than 1080P. There are hundreds if not thousands of Netflix users on multiple forums trashing Netflix over the loss of 4k and the lack of any customer service people including supervisors who know what has happened. Before the media people grab and run with this
can you get someone who has their finger on the trigger to explain what happened to 4K?

Stew
[email protected]
post #40 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

As a stockholder in Netflix I took advantage of a way to possibly get something to Reed Hastings,

I am writing you because I have encountered a problem with Netflix and your customer service people have no idea what to say or answer.
Recently your tech people made changes to your system and now there is no 4K being streamed. The best one can get is SD which has a decidedly less than good video picture and even less than 1080P. There are hundreds if not thousands of Netflix users on multiple forums trashing Netflix over the loss of 4k and the lack of any customer service people including supervisors who know what has happened. Before the media people grab and run with this
can you get someone who has their finger on the trigger to explain what happened to 4K?

Stew
[email protected]
Before you sent this did you check what resolution you are actually getting?

Try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" and see what bit rate and resolution it reports.
post #41 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
To be fair to good ole Reed, that letter isn't quite accurate.

The SD designation was misleading, but the picture quality from their 4K service was not standard definition.

Since there is an actual clip (El Fuente 60) that shows real time def, it does in fact show their 2160 highest def rate. I'm getting 16000kbps with 3840 x 2160.

The display shows 2160 SD.

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 10-13-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #42 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Stew
[email protected]
LOL. Why would you send the CEO of Netflix an email full of so much inaccuracy and hyperbole? Let us know if you get a response. He probably has people to read and reply (to subset of the millions of Netflix shareholders who email) politely even if they are rolling their eyes in the process. The media hasn't run with this because there's nothing to report. As vapid as the media can be sometimes even they would have a hard time making a story over a label change of a single character from H to S that has absolutely no barring on the actual quality of the content being streamed.

Meanwhile I continue to enjoy my 4K Netflix at the same resolution it has always been offered…

[p.s. It would have been hilarious if this had been Apple back in the Steve Jobs days. He used to occasional reply to messages like this and had no qualms calling people out.]
post #43 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I just ran El Fuente and I am getting 16000 kbps and 3840x2160, bit depth 10 frame rate 30
????
post #44 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I need to understand this. Is this resolution test result for this short clip "El Fuente" going to ALSO reflect the resolution we're getting for all the OTHER 4K films, documentaries, series in the Netflix 4K library ? Or is it the resolution result for ONLY El Fuente ?

How do we know that the other 4K content is also being streamed at the same resolution being given to EL Fuente ?.... Doesn't Netflix decide what bit-stream to give at any given time to a particular title, based on their server capacities, traffic loads, etc ?....

Is there a way to do do the same "El Fuente" test to the other 4K titles (to figure out why our picture is worse now) ???

Last edited by mario315; 10-13-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
post #45 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
I need to understand this. Is this resolution test result for this short clip "El Fuente" going to ALSO reflect the resolution we're getting for all the OTHER 4K films, documentaries, series in the Netflix 4K library ? Or is it the resolution result for ONLY El Fuente ?

How do we know that the other 4K content is also being streamed at the same resolution being given to EL Fuente ?.... Doesn't Netflix decide what bit-stream to give at any given time to a particular title, based on their server capacities, traffic loads, etc ?....

Is there a way to do do the same "El Fuente" test to the other 4K titles (to figure out why our picture is worse now) ???
The proof that the SD designation is erroneous is the fact that you played the test clip and saw for yourself that the clip went to the highest bitrate stream while the display continued to show 2160SD.

To repeat. The display has wrongly been mislabeled.

The display on the NF app wasn't actually created for us customers to use.

The techs are not in any hurry to correct the mislabeled status display...

Because it's not there for us, or intended for us to use.

Be calm.

Any degradation in the stream, will be reflected in the status display when you see it drop any lower than 2160.

Ignore the SD-Jedi Hand Wave These are not the initials you're looking for...... concentrate only on the numbers.

Move along now. No speeding on the bantha path please.
Citivas, Gil Arroyo and aflorida like this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #46 of 66 Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I just ran El Fuente and I am getting 16000 kbps and 3840x2160, bit depth 10 frame rate 30
????
You are getting full resolution Ultra HD 2160P from Netflix.

Really everyone don't sweat the '2160 SD' label from Netflix.

Everyone who checked 'El Fuente' and is seeing '2160 SD' is getting Ultra HD.

Many of us have long histories with the Netflix test encodes 'Example Short' and 'El Fuente' and they don't lie.
aflorida likes this.
post #47 of 66 Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
back when they first came out with super 1080p they screwed up and forgot to put a label for it on the ps3 and it would go 720p, 1080p, to 240 sd even though the pic was super 1080p. i called and reported it csm checked and saw it and a week later it was fixed. system just didnt have anywhere to go after 1080p.
post #48 of 66 Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The 4K Netflix app was running at 2160 HD until last week.

Now my TV displays 2160SD at it's best, and the picture is noticeably less sharp.
Was there ever a conclusion to this?
post #49 of 66 Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by master9716 View Post
Was there ever a conclusion to this?
Yes it is a non issue - read the last few posts above.......

If you want to check yourself try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" and see what bit rate and resolution it reports.

Everyone who checked 'El Fuente' and is seeing '2160 SD' is getting 2160P Ultra HD.
post #50 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:

If you want to check yourself try playing "El Fuente: 60 MP10" and see what bit rate and resolution it reports.

Everyone who checked 'El Fuente' and is seeing '2160 SD' is getting 2160P Ultra HD.
I think Netflix is going to raise there bit rate to 25000 and call it UHD, and anything below will be listed at SD. (any takers)
post #51 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think Netflix is going to raise there bit rate to 25000 and call it UHD, and anything below will be listed at SD. (any takers)
If I'm getting 3840 x 2160, @1600 0 kbps, what would they be raising, to justify their labeling anything UHD?

I think we've concluded that the current resolution is UHD, 4K, super-duper vision, whatever they want to call it, which they're presently calling 2160SD.
post #52 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If I'm getting 3840 x 2160, at 16000 kbps, what would they be raising, to justify their labeling anything UHD?

I think we've concluded that the current resolution is UHD, 4K, super-duper vision, whatever they want to call it, which they're presently calling 2160SD.
post #53 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
If I'm getting 3840 x 2160, at 16000 kbps, what would they be raising, to justify their labeling anything UHD?

well I haven't concluded anything, Netflix is not stupid there is a reason they changed there label from 2160 HD to 2160 SD. It will be awhile before anything is concluded in this new 4k format. My concern is I am only pulling about 19000 kbps.
post #54 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My concern is I am only pulling about 19000 kbps.
Do you mean your max internet service is 19K?

Did you check the Netflix clip "El Fuente 60 MP10" because to my knowledge the max that clip will display is 16000 kbps.
post #55 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

From Sony:

"Hello LeeSoFL, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. This is due to a bug in the text that shows the SD/HD label. It's only a text bug though. The stream quality you receive is not affected by this text bug. in fact, the vertical resolution component is still showing correctly: 480 for SD, 720 or 1080 for HD, and 2160 for Ultra HD 4K.

We will roll out a fix for this text bug within a few weeks. For now, you can ignore that SD/HD tag, and instead look at the vertical resolution that's just before it. That number more accurately tells you stream resolution than the SD/HD tag."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	317658  
post #56 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thank goodness this puts it all to rest....

Quote:
From Sony:

"Hello LeeSoFL, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. This is due to a bug in the text that shows the SD/HD label. It's only a text bug though. The stream quality you receive is not affected by this text bug. in fact, the vertical resolution component is still showing correctly: 480 for SD, 720 or 1080 for HD, and 2160 for Ultra HD 4K.

We will roll out a fix for this text bug within a few weeks. For now, you can ignore that SD/HD tag, and instead look at the vertical resolution that's just before it. That number more accurately tells you stream resolution than the SD/HD tag."
This should put a close to this headache. This should also be posted to the FMPX10 thread.
post #57 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Thank goodness this puts it all to rest....

Quote:
This should put a close to this headache. This should also be posted to the FMPX10 thread.
But my only question is: If this is a Sony "bug" that Sony will fix ..how come it appears on all manufacturere displays(Samsung,LG,etc) and I thought this info (2160SD)was actually coming from Netflix. ???????????????
post #58 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Do you mean your max internet service is 19K?

Did you check the Netflix clip "El Fuente 60 MP10" because to my knowledge the max that clip will display is 16000 kbps.
Yes I am getting 16000 with el Fuente , but 19000 max with the Sony app, so if Netflix raises to 25k I'm screwed.
post #59 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
But my only question is: If this is a Sony "bug" that Sony will fix ..how come it appears on all manufacturere displays(Samsung,LG,etc) and I thought this info (2160SD)was actually coming from Netflix. ???????????????
Yes, you are correct... The 2160 SD label is coming from Netflix, not SONY.... The response Lee got from SONY is total BS.... They can't fix a "bug" generated by Netflix, especially inside an internet app....
post #60 of 66 Old 10-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:

It may be a non-issue to you, but many other posters here would respectfully disagree.... Netflix's 4K PQ has been degraded over the last 2 weeks--- too many reports across different threads at AVS all agree with this.....

The 'El Fuente' test is not able to show the bit-rate which Netflix is now generating for all the other 4K content we have seen deteriorated, most likely down to 1080p.... All we can confirm with "EL Fuente' is the bit-rate that the 'El Fuente" video is getting from Netflix, nothing else....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page