Amazon Fire TV Stick - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #271 of 329 Old 12-20-2015, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I only recently received the Amazon fire stick and am using it for calibration purposes with Calman.

My question is "is it suppose to get very hot?"

Mine does and I don't know if its considered normal.

I do take it off when I'm done but that has more to do with putting things away instead of avoiding a fire hazard.

What's you guys experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 329 Old 12-20-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I only recently received the Amazon fire stick and am using it for calibration purposes with Calman.

I do take it off when I'm done but that has more to do with putting things away instead of avoiding a fire hazard.

Never checked. Are you using the included HDMI extension cable?
post #273 of 329 Old 12-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

It uses 1/2 to 1 amp when running content. So yes, you should expect it to be warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 329 Old 12-20-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Never checked. Are you using the included HDMI extension cable?
No, didn't need it but do use a female to female adapter to make it easier to connect to the display. The display is butted up next to the component cabinet so getting to the HDMI connectors is a pain. So I use the adapter to an HDMI cable that was already connected.

Last edited by JimP; 12-20-2015 at 01:54 PM.
post #275 of 329 Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to stream audio while having the TV power off? I was recently gifted a stick and have it setup with a Plex server on my PC. The stick is plugged into a Denon 1610 which outputs to a Panasonic PZ80U. I'd like to be able to stream audio through the AVR and have the TV off. I've tried everything I can think of but the Stick always cuts out immediately when it senses the TV power down. When I turn it back on I get a message that "headphones disconnected." I am not using phones with the setup.

I can't find any HDMI-CEC controls in the Stick's or Plex app's menus, I've played with all the combinations I can think of on the TV's and AVR's HDMI-CEC menus but nothing is working.

Any ideas?
post #276 of 329 Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM

The Stick does respond to CEC commands, but not every device will play nice and its not a "supported" function. My Yamaha AVR remote controls the stick very well when its plugged into the AVR. That said, I doubt its capable of doing anything if the display is off. If your AVR has a "direct" mode that shuts off the video, use that. But the display will still need to be on, just won't have any video on it.
post #277 of 329 Old 01-01-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg115 View Post
Is it possible to stream audio while having the TV power off? I was recently gifted a stick and have it setup with a Plex server on my PC. The stick is plugged into a Denon 1610 which outputs to a Panasonic PZ80U. I'd like to be able to stream audio through the AVR and have the TV off. I've tried everything I can think of but the Stick always cuts out immediately when it senses the TV power down. When I turn it back on I get a message that "headphones disconnected." I am not using phones with the setup.

I can't find any HDMI-CEC controls in the Stick's or Plex app's menus, I've played with all the combinations I can think of on the TV's and AVR's HDMI-CEC menus but nothing is working.

Any ideas?
It works for me with a Panasonic s10 and Yamaha rxv867, both about 5 years old. I'm not sure how the cec is set, but generally I have it off. It pauses the audio when I turn the tv off, but pressing play on the remote or remote app restarts it. Unfortunately there is no way to select music without the display being on... The app for the receiver is a lot better at that, allowing you to select internet radio, dlna sources, etc. You can put plex on the fire as I understand along with other dlna clients.
post #278 of 329 Old 01-10-2016, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any rumors or indications a new/ more powerful FireTV Stick will be released anytime soon?
post #279 of 329 Old 02-01-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The firestick appears to output full rgb pc level 0-255. My tv only accepts rgb video level 16-235 on the hdmi Input so black levels and white levels get crushed. It has no hdmi black level adjustment.

Is there a newer firmware thAt allows the firestick to run in rgb limited/video levels?
post #280 of 329 Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
The firestick appears to output full rgb pc level 0-255.
I don't think so. Its RGB 16-238. (limited)
Your TV has a setting to tell it which its receiving, you may need to consult the forum for that TV model.
post #281 of 329 Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I don't think so. Its RGB 16-238. (limited)
Your TV has a setting to tell it which its receiving, you may need to consult the forum for that TV model.
One of My tvs do not. It only receives limited rgb 16-235 over hdmi. No hdmi low or high setting in it. .

I know the firestick is outputting full rgb because I hooked it up to anothet TV, a Samsung one and had to set the hdmi black level to normal to fix the black crush. On the Samsung tvs low is reserved for limited rgb 16-235 and normal is for full Rgb 0-255

It's a shame the fiestick has no rgb output options to solve the problem for tvs that don't have low and high hdmi level adjustments. I think I read somewhere that all android based devices only output rgb full.

Thismeans any cheaper TV with no hdmi black level options will crush black on devices that only output rgb full

Last edited by proudx; 02-01-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #282 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
I don't care for my FireTV Stick because I keep getting a message after about an hour of watching saying that I don't have a fast enough connection even though I have almost 60 mbps. I don't have this problem with any of the wired devices, only the wireless FireTV Stick. It's not reliable to maintain connection even when it's fast.

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #283 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't care for my FireTV Stick because I keep getting a message after about an hour of watching saying that I don't have a fast enough connection even though I have almost 60 mbps. I don't have this problem with any of the wired devices, only the wireless FireTV Stick. It's not reliable to maintain connection even when it's fast.
Most likely its your wireless router signal, not your internet speed.
post #284 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Most likely its your wireless router signal, not your internet speed.
Hmm? I wish I knew how to improve the signal then since it's a new ASUS router (using 2.4 and not 5 since I hear 2.4 goes further in distance)?

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #285 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Hmm? I wish I knew how to improve the signal then since it's a new ASUS router (using 2.4 and not 5 since I hear 2.4 goes further in distance)?
Lots of info in the streaming forums on this. 5G is faster but has less range. 2.4 is loaded with interference. I keep my FireStick on the 5G band and used an HDMI extension cable to get it away from the HT stack. It runs all night long at 1080p without any issue.
post #286 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lots of info in the streaming forums on this. 5G is faster but has less range. 2.4 is loaded with interference. I keep my FireStick on the 5G band and used an HDMI extension cable to get it away from the HT stack. It runs all night long at 1080p without any issue.
Thanks, I'll try 5G instead since it's relatively close to the router. BTW, we're both in Nuevo Mexico.

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #287 of 329 Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
The firestick appears to output full rgb pc level 0-255. My tv only accepts rgb video level 16-235 on the hdmi Input so black levels and white levels get crushed. It has no hdmi black level adjustment.

Is there a newer firmware thAt allows the firestick to run in rgb limited/video levels?

Try making sure the fire stick is completely powered up before plugging it into a your hdmi port. I found this made a difference on what RGB levels my FireTV 1st gen output. If I powered it up plugged into the tv I got one format and got the other (the one I wanted) if it wasn't plugged into the hdmi port when it booted up.
post #288 of 329 Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I don't stream a single device on 2.4ghz. It is completely useless in my area. It is either 5ghz or wired.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
post #289 of 329 Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I don't stream a single device on 2.4ghz. It is completely useless in my area. It is either 5ghz or wired.
Google Chromecast has an alternate power cable that has a Cat5 port so that you can hard wire it. Wish my FireTv stick could have such a cable
poorhorse likes this.
post #290 of 329 Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Me personally I use the box instead because of the hardwire function. There are mounting brackets you can place on your TV to conceal it.
post #291 of 329 Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Just got an update for my stick which included the Alexa functionality which shipped with the 2015 box. I don't have a voice controller, but it works with the Android app on my phone. Netflix was concurrently updated to include the wonderful () "auto start" feature, which starts playing any title whose description you view for more than a few seconds (it's in the Netflix app on several other device that I own so I'm used to it):

Spoiler!

It'll be cool if they ever add Siri-on-ATV-like complex video search functionality to it. Right now the Alexa capability is more useful for playing music on the stick than for video. It will also give you the weather report from AccuWeather and look up stuff on Wikipedia, etc.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #292 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am brand new to the idea of streaming TV, so bear with me. Plus, this stuff seems to change so quickly. I am a Dish subscriber, looking to cut and go just with streaming. This is a no brainer for me since my main interest is in movies, but my wife wants her HBO and news channels. And I confess I want my college football, including Pac 12. No need for NFL ticket, with Network TV access for my local team, the Seahawks.

I also want 4K streaming on Netflix and Amazon. Can't get Amazon on my Vizio P65 UHD (since it uses Google Smartcast) which is what got me thinking about streaming everything.

I'm paying $130/ month to Dish, so there's much room to save. Absence of DVR is not a deal killer, but I'll prob'ly want to buy my own DVR. Is service extra with Amazon Fire TV? I can prob'ly just get a stick for my wife's HDTV
post #293 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmark View Post
I am brand new to the idea of streaming TV, so bear with me. Plus, this stuff seems to change so quickly. I am a Dish subscriber, looking to cut and go just with streaming. This is a no brainer for me since my main interest is in movies, but my wife wants her HBO and news channels. And I confess I want my college football, including Pac 12. No need for NFL ticket, with Network TV access for my local team, the Seahawks.

I also want 4K streaming on Netflix and Amazon. Can't get Amazon on my Vizio P65 UHD (since it uses Google Smartcast) which is what got me thinking about streaming everything.

I'm paying $130/ month to Dish, so there's much room to save. Absence of DVR is not a deal killer, but I'll prob'ly want to buy my own DVR. Is service extra with Amazon Fire TV? I can prob'ly just get a stick for my wife's HDTV
It depends on whether you want to watch the Prime content or not? If so, then you would need to pay $99 a year or the monthly amount for Prime subscription. I don't subscribe but I still use the Amazon Fire TV to watch my purchased content which includes 4k material.

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #294 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

If you switch to streaming everything why would you want a DVR? Is there some cost or bandwidth issue that makes it preferable to record streamed content for later viewing?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #295 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It depends on whether you want to watch the Prime content or not? If so, then you would need to pay $99 a year or the monthly amount for Prime subscription. I don't subscribe but I still use the Amazon Fire TV to watch my purchased content which includes 4k material.
Thanks. I already have Amazon Prime. It's a good deal just for saving shipping costs on purchases. Their TV content is a bonus. So for me it comes down to the DVR and general content issues vs. the $130 I'm paying for Dish.
post #296 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Thanks. I already have Amazon Prime. It's a good deal just for saving shipping costs on purchases. Their TV content is a bonus. So for me it comes down to the DVR and general content issues vs. the $130 I'm paying for Dish.
I'm not that familiar with Dish but $130 seems off-the-charts ridiculous. I didn't think even DirectTV was anywhere near that level unless you bought extras like NFL packages.

Amazon has some worthwhile content but it won't do much for you in terms of real-time broadcast or cable programming (unless you buy programs on top of Prime fees).

Dish's Sling TV or Hulu might be options worth looking into for replacing real-time broadcast programming...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #297 of 329 Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Sounds like you will want Sling with HBO Now. Then it's just a matter of choosing a device to run it. I have and use a Fire TV stick (not the newest generation at this point, I think), a chromecast (also not the newest version), and a Roku3 (not the new 4K capable variety). The Roku is absolutely the preferable device for those content sources.

I use Sling during football season too. $25/month during the season was pretty reasonable ($20 for the basic service, $5 more for the extra ESPN channels and such) - about $6/week to watch any game I can't see on the broadcast networks. It's cheaper than going to a sports bar, that's for sure. I haven't used HBO Now, but $15/month sounds okay. So, you're at about $120 for the Roku 4 (or save $20 and get last year's like mine, but I wouldn't; you'll be glad for the extra processing power even if you don't have 4K content) plus $35-40/month for SlingTV, depending on your sports needs. There's also an extra for News (even though you get CNN and Bloomberg in the basic selection).

I understand that you're posting in the Fire TV thread, but that's not what I would do if I were you. When I first started my Sling subscription (currently suspended until football comes back), I didn't have the Roku. I had better performance out of using the Sling app on my smartphone and casting it to chromecast than I did with using the app in the FireTV stick. It was basically useless. I was ready to buy the Roku by halftime of the first game. The Fire TV Stick couldn't play through a whole segment between commercials without having to stop and reload the video feed. The chromecast would loose the video feed when the commercials ended so I would have to stop casting as the commercials ran, and then reconnect to the chromecast as the commercials ended. NOT the way I like to watch the game. In contrast, the Roku has been basically flawless. That's not to say that it is entirely bulletproof, but it actually does what it's supposed to. The extra $20 for the newest model will be money well-spent.

A single subscription to Sling should be good for one device at a time, I think, but that may deserve some more research - you might be able to use it on several devices at once? If you're saving $90/Month on the content, it might be worth spending for two Rokus. If I didn't have the Roku, I might be willing to watch the occasional something via the chromecast.

If other people say the newest Fire TV devices are as good as the Roku, maybe there's room to save even more... I would be surprised if you found the savings were real based on the quality experience I had with the more modern apps on the Fire devices.

Also - regarding the DVR... I went with a TiVo roamio recently when they went on sale WITH LIFETIME DATA. Because of course that has always been the catch with TiVo - the data subsiption that makes the program work like you want. It's usually like $20/months or something. With the high-end DVRs, they offer lifetime subscriptions for $500 (iirc) but with the OTA-only Roamio, they don't usually offer lifetime data. Recently, they did AND at HALF PRICE! So for (again, iirc) $300, I got a TiVo and lifetime data. I only use the thing about once each week, but it means I can skip commercials when I watch SNL on Sunday and I can rewind the broadcast TV games or skip commercials... absolutely worthwhile at that price. I just wasn't willing to be on the hook for $20/month, so I waited for the sale. It's not frequent. Who, knows? They may never do it again.

Last edited by HopefulFred; 06-02-2016 at 06:16 PM.
post #298 of 329 Old 06-03-2016, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
The term for TiVo is "Product Lifetime Service" (PLS). TiVo is a brick without service (it literally won't do anything, not even run the streaming media apps or play existing recordings); service also includes updates for bug fixes and new features. I've been a TiVo addict since the first model (with a dalliance with cable DVRs during the early days of HD cable when TiVo didn't have an HD model, held up by the emerging CableCARD standard). I have a friend who works for TiVo, so I bought my Premiere with PLS for a very low price but decided to go with a monthly contract for Roamio, since I only have use for a single box and I always upgrade to the new model. When I switched to Bolt I cancelled the Roamio's service.

I've decided to pass on Roku 4 (I have an original Roku 3 and a 2XS that I don't use). Too many reports of bugs on the Roku site forum and it runs so hot that they have a cooling fan in the box which can be noisy (though not for some people--it's kind of a physical flaw). Roku is preferable to Fire TV stick or the FTV box given that you can use it to rent or purchase video from multiple sources (Amazon, VUDU, Fandango, Google Play, etc) whereas you can only rent or purchase video from Amazon on FTV; Roku doesn't have a horse in that race so they're agnostic.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #299 of 329 Old 06-15-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Interest in the stick is fading, but I wonder if any of you are able to get 7.1 audio from Amazon source material such as Bosch? In season 1 of Bosch the audio to the stick was 7.1, but the Fire TV only saw 5.1. Specs say up to 7.1

Amazon ran me around the horn several times even replacing the Fire TV, but they would not discuss the audio or explain why the Stick had 7.1 but the box 5.1

FF to now. The Stick is only sending 5.1 via Dolby+ over HDMI and the Fire TV box dropped to stereo for all source material. Amazon says three things.
  1. The Fire devices are designed solely for direct connection to a TV
  2. HDCP is the cause of the audio down conversion
  3. It doesn't matter if the Stick gets 5.1, we don't want to know.

Not that they are not polite. They are, But if Amazon's implementation of HDCP 2.2 or some other change decreases the audio format choices what they are saying is in effect, we can do what we like to a box you already own, including downgrade performance.

Anyone get 7.1 now? Before but not now? Some other audio change.?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #300 of 329 Old 06-15-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post
Interest in the stick is fading, but I wonder if any of you are able to get 7.1 audio from Amazon source material such as Bosch? In season 1 of Bosch the audio to the stick was 7.1, but the Fire TV only saw 5.1. Specs say up to 7.1

Amazon ran me around the horn several times even replacing the Fire TV, but they would not discuss the audio or explain why the Stick had 7.1 but the box 5.1

FF to now. The Stick is only sending 5.1 via Dolby+ over HDMI and the Fire TV box dropped to stereo for all source material. Amazon says three things.
  1. The Fire devices are designed solely for direct connection to a TV
  2. HDCP is the cause of the audio down conversion
  3. It doesn't matter if the Stick gets 5.1, we don't want to know.

Not that they are not polite. They are, But if Amazon's implementation of HDCP 2.2 or some other change decreases the audio format choices what they are saying is in effect, we can do what we like to a box you already own, including downgrade performance.

Anyone get 7.1 now? Before but not now? Some other audio change.?
I get the same clueless run-around from FireTV support, the FTV box is now crippled to stereo only on Amazon content. DD+ 5.1 works fine on every other app.

I guess the best solution to this issue is: Roku.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page