*Official* Tidal music streaming thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 563Likes

post #2131 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
I did some searching on youtube and saw the iphone app. I assume the Android app is just as good. I see there is a Bluesound Node 2 and a Bluesound Node 2i - is there a difference? The price seems similar.

My Onkyo reciever decodes MQA via Tidal - https://www.forbes.com/sites/markspa.../#737488055651

The main issue is the smartphone or onscreen interface. Bluesound Node 2's smartphone interface looks as good or better than the native Tidal app. I hate to spend $400 on Bluesound for a better app interface. But if it is a pain to use on the Onkyo it is not really worth having.
Since your AVR decodes MQA (mine does not), I would not invest in Bluesound unless the other streaming options are of interest to you. As long as you can access the Masters section of Tidal you should be good. As far as the UI, that’s another issue.
When I first starting using Tidal I didn’t like the UI, but now I cruise around it quite easily. I guess it was a learning curve. Give it a chance. The Node 2i adds some additional options that I’m not familiar with. You’ll have to check the Bluesound website for that. The original Node and the Node 2 should be cheaper though.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650

Last edited by pappaduke; 02-26-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1906 View Post
You need the Node 2i which is the latest one that allows for MQA unfolding. I think when they updated the firmware, that also enabled the Node to be MQA capable. I have had a Node 2i for a couple months and that has solved my issue with Apple/HEOS not playing Tidal Master tracks. Bluesound is absolutely amazing with its capabilities and the built in DAC is outstanding. Especially with a very good set of headphones (I use Audeze iSine 20’s and OPPO PM3’s) connected via the headphone jack on the front. I have it connected to my Halo Integrated via a high end optical cable and a set of high end analog cables and I cannot hear a difference between the DAC in the Node 2i and the DAC in the Halo Integrated and that DAC is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the Bluesound Nodes will decode/unfold MQA. If your AVR allows you to access the Masters tab(mine does not) on Tidal than you would not need a Node. There is a difference between the original Node up to the current model. I would check the website for the differences. As far as the UI, I would give it a chance. I didn’t like Tidal’s UI originally, but after spending some time with it I’m quite comfortable with it. Try to have a little patience. If you can get an older Node they are usually cheaper and give you most of the functionality of the newer ones.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2133 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Since your AVR decodes MQA (mine does not), I would not invest in Bluesound unless the other streaming options are of interest to you. As long as you can access the Masters section of Tidal you should be good. As far as the UI, that’s another issue.
When I first starting using Tidal I didn’t like the UI, but now I cruise around it quite easily. I guess it was a learning curve. Give it a chance.
I think the UI of the standard Tidal smartphone app is fine and I would be happy with using. It is not super great but not horrible. The app for the Onkyo is a screen mirror of what the Onkyo outputs to the TV which is 4 or 5 folders windows explore type folders that I can drill down into.

For example.

My Music folder has the folders:

-Create new play list
-Favorited Playlists
-My playlists
-Artists
-Tracks

Then if I click on the folder Artists I get a list of artists that I Favorited.

Say one of the Artists is David Bowie and I click on that folder, then I get the folders:

-Top tracks
-Albums
-EPs and singles
-Other albums
-Created playlists

Clicking on albums opens to a bunch of folders with all the Albums by Bowie, then clicking on an album folder opens the album as a list of songs on that album.

No graphics, all text. It works but it involves a lot of digging through folders to find something.

Perhaps there is a way to use the Tidal app with the Onkyo tidal app but I don't think so.

I guess if I wanted to go this way I would need to use the phone app or computer app to favorite a bunch of albums I like, then scroll through those to find stuff easier. I guess it would be ok for me if I wanted to listen to music solo, but say if I had a party and someone wanted to play something, it would be a serious challenge for them to find what they are looking for and play it. Compared to handing them my phone and them finding what they want on Spotify or Google Play Music.

There is search functionality but using the Tidal interface on the TV involves typing it out with the remotes up-down-left-right channels. The only thing the phone app does is make typing a search and clicking on folders easier.

I will do some listening over the next few weeks and decide if the sound quality is worth the trouble and $20 a month.

As I mentioned earlier, I can cast the Tidal standard smartphone app to the AVR's built in Chromecast app but I am not sure if I would still get MQA that way or if there is a loss of quality as opposed to using the AVRs built in Tidal app.

When did listening to an album get so complicated

I feel infinite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by george1906 View Post
You need the Node 2i which is the latest one that allows for MQA unfolding. I think when they updated the firmware, that also enabled the Node to be MQA capable. I have had a Node 2i for a couple months and that has solved my issue with Apple/HEOS not playing Tidal Master tracks. Bluesound is absolutely amazing with its capabilities and the built in DAC is outstanding. Especially with a very good set of headphones (I use Audeze iSine 20’s and OPPO PM3’s) connected via the headphone jack on the front. I have it connected to my Halo Integrated via a high end optical cable and a set of high end analog cables and I cannot hear a difference between the DAC in the Node 2i and the DAC in the Halo Integrated and that DAC is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the Node 1 and Node 2.

Both decode MQA fully if you use the RCA Analog outputs (DAC from Node)
post #2135 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:

How do you stream Tidal to your Bluesound Node 2i? I think Tidal is built into it, if so, how do you navigate Tidal, with the Tidal smartphone app ? Or does Bluesound Node 2i have it's own Tidal smartphone app (kind of like onkyo AVR has).

The main thing I am looking for is to have the Tital sound that my AVR currently gets with it's built in Tidal app with a user friendly way to navigate and find music on Tidal. (The Onkyo Tidal app sounds great but the app to control it is really bare bones )
The Bluesound mobile apps ((IOS, Android, and Windows) are how we control Tidal HiFi. It's different than the Tidal app, and doesn't show absolutely everything the Tidal app does, but over 90% is there and there are ways to get the few things it won't do.

Of course there's always going to be some folks who don't care for it, but most love it. Spend enough time learning it and it's great.
pappaduke, Mamasboy and george1906 like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #2136 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I guess first I'll need to listen to a few MQA albums and see if I can tell enough of a difference to make moving forward with Tidal worth it. Unfortunately a few of my go to reference type LPs are not MQA. I do see that all of Led Zeppelin is MQA and I know their stuff well so I'll give them a listen.

I feel infinite
post #2137 of 2190 Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess first I'll need to listen to a few MQA albums and see if I can tell enough of a difference to make moving forward with Tidal worth it. Unfortunately a few of my go to reference type LPs are not MQA. I do see that all of Led Zeppelin is MQA and I know their stuff well so I'll give them a listen.
If you’re a student, military or veteran Tidal does offer a discount. Some android phones now decode MQA but I’m not sure if you can get MQA to your AVR that way.

post #2138 of 2190 Old 02-27-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I can cast the Tidal standard smartphone app to the AVR's built in Chromecast app but I am not sure if I would still get MQA that way or if there is a loss of quality as opposed to using the AVRs built in Tidal app.

When did listening to an album get so complicated
No, unfortunately TIDAL app cannot currently get Google Cast supporting devices to play MQA tracks - they instead get supplied with a doctored version of the MQA tracks, downsampled to a CD resolution (ie, 16bit/44.1kHz) stream by TIDAL's online server. Doesn't your MQA supporting Onkyo AVR indicate when it detects playing an MQA file track or at least display the music file's resolution? So you should be able to see this for yourself.

BTW, if your Onkyo AVR is anything like most other Onkyo AVRs, it should have a built-in industry standard UPnP/DLNA streamer. This would allow it to stream TIDAL tracks from any TIDAL supporting (ie, third party) standard UPnP/DLNA controller app. As far as I'm aware there's only one standard UPnP/DLNA controller app licensed to allow any UPnP/DLNA supporting streamer to play TIDAL's MQA Masters file tracks - mConnect Player (iOS & Android, free Lite version available).

The mConnect Player app also supports Google Cast and you therefore have another option with it for getting your MQA supporting AVR to play TIDAL's MQA file tracks!

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-27-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #2139 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On overload trying to catch up on all the latest after being out of the audio/HT world for a few years. I want to stream Tidal MQA. My new AVR is the Marantz SR7012 which doesn't support MQA. So if am looking at this correctly I could get something like the Pro-Ject S2 Pre Box out of my Mac to the AVR's analog in. Correct? Then access Tidal through the HEOS app or another app interface like Audirvana, Tidal. Or for almost the same price as the Pro-Ject just go with the Bluesound Node 2i (which quite a few are advocating here)? Which would also ease access to my DLNA library on the Mac too I guess. Thanks and let me know if I am missing something...
post #2140 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones67 View Post
On overload trying to catch up on all the latest after being out of the audio/HT world for a few years. I want to stream Tidal MQA. My new AVR is the Marantz SR7012 which doesn't support MQA. So if am looking at this correctly I could get something like the Pro-Ject S2 Pre Box out of my Mac to the AVR's analog in. Correct? Then access Tidal through the HEOS app or another app interface like Audirvana, Tidal. Or for almost the same price as the Pro-Ject just go with the Bluesound Node 2i (which quite a few are advocating here)? Which would also ease access to my DLNA library on the Mac too I guess. Thanks and let me know if I am missing something...
In case you're not aware with a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription and MQA added to the account you get partial MQA (first unfold), without further hardware. The first unfold will get you 24/44 or 24/48 depending on the original MQA recording, using only Tidal and your AVR.

Some MQA recordings are only 24/44 or 24/48 so you are actually getting the complete MQA experience with those. If you want all 3 unfolds you then visit MQA DAC's like Bluesound etc.

Attached are two screenshots that show how the original is 24/44 and played back MQA at same and one at 24/192 played back at 24/48.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lana.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2532438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2532440  

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
post #2141 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones67 View Post
You’ve done your homework. Now I’m an advocate of Bluesound (see my signature), but there are plenty of options. Here’s a link to Tidal’s list of supported devices..https://tidal.com/us/download. If using a laptop, dragonfly may interest you but you’ll have to do the research because I don’t own it. If you go the Bluesound route you would use their app to access Tidal. Bluesound also gives you access to many other streaming options to include Qobuz and Deezer. Qobuz being on par with Tidal as far as sound quality and Deezer one step behind IMO. Good luck with your decision and welcome back to the A/V world. And yeah, it’s complicated......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48A781B6-317E-4468-AC47-D48FF2B7763B.png
Views:	34
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2532462   Click image for larger version

Name:	663A53B5-06F1-45EC-B81E-12EE818FB0D8.png
Views:	20
Size:	910.6 KB
ID:	2532464   Click image for larger version

Name:	9AF6384A-8196-4729-A826-51AEFEBEA2FC.png
Views:	18
Size:	918.2 KB
ID:	2532466  

post #2142 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
In case you're not aware with a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription and MQA added to the account you get partial MQA (first unfold), without further hardware. The first unfold will get you 24/44 or 24/48 depending on the original MQA recording, using only Tidal and your AVR.
Hi Matthew,

Thought it best to point out that the 24/44.1 kHz & 24/48kHz MQA file tracks supplied by TIDAL's online server are actually undecoded, so not what MQA Ltd refer to as the 'first unfold' (aka MQA Core) - though I suppose 'partial MQA' is ok. Here's the relevant part of that old post of mine (in response to one of your posts) that should hopefully remind you about this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57179490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Undecoded/distribution MQA file tracks have a resolution of either 24 bit/44.1kHz or 24 bit/48 kHz, depending on the original resolution of tracks that were MQA encoded by the studio. So as you rightly suspected, the 24 bits hi-res sized bit depth is what gives it away as an MQA file track - the standard lossless CD resolution file tracks are of course always 16 bit/44.1kHz.

Some TIDAL client applications, such as the TIDAL Desktop app, are able to decode these distribution MQA file tracks to the MQA Core (aka 'First unfold') which doubles the sample rate, ie, to a resolution of either 24/88.2 kHz or 24/96 kHz. Unfortunately, the mConnect Player app does not come with the (software) MQA decoder that the TIDAL Desktop app has, so the controlled UPnP/DLNA streamer and/or the streamer's DAC would have to do the MQA decoding. This is why I didn't mention using the mConnect Player app to get the A2080 to play TIDAL MQA file tracks.

You can of course play them anyway, as according to MQA Ltd, playing an MQA file undecoded should sound the same if not better than its equivalent CD resolution file. Also, there are some MQA files that don't require decoding, if the original hi-res sample rate isn't higher than 48kHz.

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-28-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #2143 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Bluesound also gives you access to many other streaming options to include Qobuz and Deezer. Qobuz being on par with Tidal as far as sound quality and Deezer one step behind IMO.
Apart from TIDAL's proprietary MQA file streams, @rjones67 can already stream from those online music services fully using Marantz SR7012, so including Qobuz's hi-res audio streams (which uses 'normal' FLAC, ie, not MQA encoded), without needing any extra hardware such as the Bluesound. In fact any bog standard UPnP/DLNA streamer that can play hi-res FLAC files can!
post #2144 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hi Matthew,

Thought it best to point out that the 24/44.1 kHz & 24/48kHz MQA file tracks supplied by TIDAL's online server are actually undecoded, so not what MQA Ltd refer to as the 'first unfold' (aka MQA Core) - though I suppose 'partial MQA' is ok. Here's the relevant part of that old post of mine (in response to one of your posts) that should hopefully remind you about this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57179490

John
Thanks @Cebolla -

What does MQA do to the FLAC 24/44, 24/48 with the first unfold? Are you saying MQA modifies the 24/44, 24/48 FLAC file? Could be because without trying to master MQA technnology from what I've found it does in fact do things that help with time smearing, etc.

FWIW 24/44, 24/48 FLAC through Tidal IMO is so good (with good recordings) that I'm in no rush to get complete MQA unfold.

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
post #2145 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apart from TIDAL's proprietary MQA file streams, @rjones67 can already stream from those online music services fully using Marantz SR7012, so including Qobuz's hi-res audio streams (which uses 'normal' FLAC, ie, not MQA encoded), without needing any extra hardware such as the Bluesound. In fact any bog standard UPnP/DLNA streamer that can play hi-res FLAC files can!
How would I get Qobuz to my Marantz without using my Bluesound player?

Last edited by pappaduke; 02-28-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #2146 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Use a Qobuz supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app would be the simplest way, eg, the BubbleUPnP app (Android only) or the mConnect Player app (iOS & Android, free Lite version available).

Edit:
Oops - looks like the latest HEOS streaming supporting Marantz/Denon devices are not listed on the DLNA website as Digital Media Renderers (DMRs). This might mean that unlike the older Denon/Marantz AVRs, they may not have a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so won't be able to be controlled by a standard UPnP/DLNA controller app!

Any chance you could test this anyway?

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-28-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #2147 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks @Cebolla -

FWIW 24/44, 24/48 FLAC through Tidal IMO is so good (with good recordings) that I'm in no rush to get complete MQA unfold.
Thanks for the info and this is my dilemma too. Without having even setup my system yet, I am just going off the reading and knowing myself that I will want to try full MQA, but what I have in the AVR (full streaming and DSD support) might be all I need.
post #2148 of 2190 Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Use a Qobuz supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app would be the simplest way, eg, the BubbleUPnP app (Android only) or the mConnect Player app (iOS & Android, free Lite version available).

Edit:
Oops - looks like the latest HEOS streaming supporting Marantz/Denon devices are not listed on the DLNA website as Digital Media Renderers (DMRs). This might mean that unlike the older Denon/Marantz AVRs, they may not have a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so won't be able to be controlled by a standard UPnP/DLNA controller app!

Any chance you could test this anyway?
I was looking at my HEOS app last night trying to figure out how to get Qobuz to it and didn’t know how. So I thought you had a solution. I can easily use my Bluesound player so no big deal for me. May be a big deal for others. Sound quality being essentially equal Tidal is a no brainer for me because of the military discount which Qobuz does not offer as far as I know. Maybe something can be done with a firmware update?

post #2149 of 2190 Old 03-01-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I was looking at my HEOS app last night trying to figure out how to get Qobuz to it and didn’t know how. So I thought you had a solution.
Using one of the (third party) Qobuz supporting standard UPnP/DLNA controller app's I mentioned might work with your newer HEOS AVR, given that older HEOS devices definitely worked as they also doubled up as standard UPnP/DLNA device.

Definitely worth testing one of those apps out to see if recognises your AVR on the network and can therefore control it as a UPnP/DLNA renderer/player.
post #2150 of 2190 Old 03-01-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
What does MQA do to the FLAC 24/44, 24/48 with the first unfold? Are you saying MQA modifies the 24/44, 24/48 FLAC file?
Just to be clear, the (compressed) FLAC file only serves as a lossless space saving container for the (uncompressed) LPCM audio signal which actually contains the MQA encoded information.

So the MQA decoder modifies the (24 bit/44.1kHz or 24 bit/48kHz) LPCM audio signal with the MQA encoded information (ie, not its FLAC file container), once that has been extracted from the FLAC file container by a 'normal' FLAC decoder (ie, that part of the process has nothing to do with MQA).

The MQA encoded information is actually contained in the lower 8 to 11 bits of each of the 24 bit samples of the undecoded MQA LPCM audio signal. If you just play the MQA LPCM audio signal with those bits undecoded, you still get an 'MQA type' sound but only coming from the rest of the bits of each of the 24 bit samples not used by the MQA encoded information, so roughly equivalent to CD resolution or slightly less at either 13-16 bit/44.1kHz or 13-16 bit/48kHz.

The MQA decoder uses those lower bits to extract any 'hidden' compressed higher frequencies, enabling the undecoded MQA LPCM audio signal's sample rate to be doubled to either 88.2kHz or 96kHz. So you end up with the MQA Core (aka 'first unfold') LPCM audio signal with a resolution of either 24 bit/88.2kHz or 24 bit/96kHz.

Note - you can't get something from nothing, so not all of those 24 bits per sample of the MQA Core LPCM audio signal will contain the 'MQA type' sound. It's been estimated that the MQA Core LPCM audio signal's music content is actually equivalent to either a 17 bit/88.2kHz or a 17 bit/96kHz 'normal' LPCM audio signal.

Last edited by Cebolla; 03-02-2019 at 03:25 AM.
post #2151 of 2190 Old 03-01-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Not sure if this is the right place to post but was hoping for some advise.New to Tidal and Roon. I have tidal on my desktop ,Appletv and iphone. Had it before I got roon. Playlist on Tidal desktop,atv and iphone are the same. Using roon tidal enabled I have made some playlist and listen thru my Marantz sr7012 or sometimes the Oppo all playlists play. Some playlists and tracks have MQA fwiw. The playlist I did via Roon/Tidal do not show up in my desktop tidal app nor the iphone? Even though its my Tidal subscritption. Are the Tidal"s completely separate between the desktop/iphone and the one in roon? Newbie here with this. I did do a search on this thread but couldn't find an answer.thanks

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.

Last edited by rocky1; 03-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #2152 of 2190 Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello all - new forum member here

I've been a Tidal subscriber for about 8 months and love it - even though I have a good vinyl collection going again.

I am using a Bluesound node controlled by my iPad. I am keeping the interface off my computer so that casual browsing doesn't cause dropouts. So far its been quite successful.

I am using the Node output connected to a McIntosh MA252 amplifier and I'm getting better sound than I imagined.

What I was curious about is that I was wondering if it were possible to record a stream of music - for example I have a TEAC 32-2B tape deck and thought it might be cool to record some classical selections to tape.

Has anyone any experience with this, or is the music protected from recording?

Thanks all
post #2153 of 2190 Old 03-04-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryRoberts View Post
What I was curious about is that I was wondering if it were possible to record a stream of music - for example I have a TEAC 32-2B tape deck and thought it might be cool to record some classical selections to tape.

If you have a receiver or preamp with a tape loop input, you should be good to go. Those aren't very common nowadays, but I'm sure the used market is healthy. Last I checked there are also ways of making digital copies of Tidal streams, but I'm pretty sure those are illegal. I don't do any offline/mobile listening, so I simply stream.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #2154 of 2190 Old 03-05-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Talking

thank you for the reply - I'm certainly not going to do anything that is unlawful and I appreciate the response - the subscription doesn't bother me at all - the music selection is much better than Ive had elsewhere and I'm not going to ruin it doing something dumb.
post #2155 of 2190 Old 03-05-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryRoberts View Post
Hello all - new forum member here

I've been a Tidal subscriber for about 8 months and love it - even though I have a good vinyl collection going again.

I am using a Bluesound node controlled by my iPad. I am keeping the interface off my computer so that casual browsing doesn't cause dropouts. So far its been quite successful.

I am using the Node output connected to a McIntosh MA252 amplifier and I'm getting better sound than I imagined.

Thanks all
I use Tidal’s offline mode to take music with me in my car via my iPhone and Bluetooth.
KenM10759 and GregoryRoberts like this.

post #2156 of 2190 Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The latest iOS update now supports MQA Master tracks and albums. They now show up in favorites and searches on iOS apps, and it does pass the output to a rendering DAC for the final unfold. I connected by iPhone to an iFi Nano BL via lightning camera adapter and the light turned purple on playback, which indicates that it's doing a final render. You do have to set streaming quality to Master in settings first, then you'll see a nice little yellow "Master" label during playback on the app. I'm not sure how much good it will do for the vast majority of users with headphone jack, lightning, or bluetooth headphones, but I certainly appreciate it. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work on my 11" iPad Pro with USB-C output. It never worked from the Roon app either, so I'm guessing the iPad's USB-C implementation is the issue.
george1906 likes this.
post #2157 of 2190 Old 03-11-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Is that a beta version of iOS? I'm on 12.1.4 (which according to apple is the latest - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201222) but I don't get the option to change streaming to anything higher than hifi? I have MQA on my Fiio device, and my Sony TV Tidal app......

Thanks
post #2158 of 2190 Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunconn View Post
Hi

Is that a beta version of iOS? I'm on 12.1.4 (which according to apple is the latest - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201222) but I don't get the option to change streaming to anything higher than hifi? I have MQA on my Fiio device, and my Sony TV Tidal app......

Thanks
I should have said "the latest Tidal app update for iOS". It wasn't related to an iOS update. Sorry for the confusion.
post #2159 of 2190 Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Ah... ok next question then 🙂 what version of tidal do you have, I have 2.6.6 build 1768 and the App Store doesn’t allow me to do any updates?

Appreciate the help here!
post #2160 of 2190 Old 03-11-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnc View Post
I should have said "the latest Tidal app update for iOS". It wasn't related to an iOS update. Sorry for the confusion.
My iPad received the update but my iPhone 6s did not. 😡 Probably not worth upgrading my phone just yet 🤔

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page