*Official* Tidal music streaming thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 619Likes

post #2311 of 2423 Old 02-16-2020, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post
How come you don't use TIDAL for traveling? I found that the recommendation algorithm to be very good and accurate. If I play a song from one artist, the following song will match the genre and the mood, at least in my experience. As far as mobile data goes, you can easily adjust the streaming audio quality or download albums for offline listening. TIDAL would be a perfect on-the-go companion if only I could add my own music like you can on Apple Music and Google Play Music. What about the songs that's aren't on Pandora, but that are in your music library on your home computer? Do you have a way of listening to those songs or do you just then let Pandora play whatever it recommends?
I'll give Tidal another try in the car using a song from a favorite artist (instead of a playlist) and see how it goes. I have most of my favorite music files on my iPhone, but never use them anymore. Same with home computer files on network. Streaming just seems easier and adds more variety.

Home theater: Sony XBR75Z9D, McIntosh MX122 & MC8207, B&W 804D3, HTM1D3, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203, Atmos 7.1.4;
Living room: Sony XBR65A1E, Marantz AV8805, MC8207, B&W 802D2, 804D2, HTM2D2, 805D2, SVS SB-13, Oppo UDP-203;
Bedroom: Sony XBR65X950B, Marantz AV8802a, MC8207, B&W 805D2, HTM2D3, Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2423 Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJulyan View Post
I'll give Tidal another try in the car using a song from a favorite artist (instead of a playlist) and see how it goes. I have most of my favorite music files on my iPhone, but never use them anymore. Same with home computer files on network. Streaming just seems easier and adds more variety.
Tidal with Amazon Echo Auto works well from voice navigation perspective, but it's limited to normal lossy sound quality. You can do voice commands for artist, album, song as well as Tidal playlists. You can't do voice commands for personal playlists though.
post #2313 of 2423 Old 02-17-2020, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Halo,

I just got Nvidia shield TV Pro and I thought it has tidal but i cant find it in the app store.

Is there a way to install tidal with Nvidia shield? I want to play the master quality as well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2423 Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

Therefore, I'm curious to know if others are dealing with similar battles. Do you sync music that's not on TIDAL to your smartphone's storage, do you have a dedicated music player, are you subscribed to different services? Is it worth the hassle switching between different programs, apps, services if I already have everything setup in Apple's walled garden? I would really like to learn how all of you use your devices and ways you listen to your music.
I left Apple for the same reason (sound quality). I simply make my own playlists using Tidal and then download them to my phone for offline listening to use in the car. The bigger the playlist, the more the variety. I also have my iPhone 11 pro with 256 GB so space isn't an issue. That way, data isn't an issue.
psuKinger likes this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2315 of 2423 Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I left Apple for the same reason (sound quality). I simply make my own playlists using Tidal and then download them to my phone for offline listening to use in the car. The bigger the playlist, the more the variety. I also have my iPhone 11 pro with 256 GB so space isn't an issue. That way, data isn't an issue.
That sounds like a plan I had in mind. Now, what about the songs that are not available on TIDAL, such as unreleased songs or live versions? Would you then sync those to your phone from your computer? Or do you then just play whatever is available on TIDAL?
post #2316 of 2423 Old 02-17-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
That sounds like a plan I had in mind. Now, what about the songs that are not available on TIDAL, such as unreleased songs or live versions? Would you then sync those to your phone from your computer? Or do you then just play whatever is available on TIDAL?
I just play whatever is available on Tidal, but I may have to give that a try. I do have a few disc or songs that are not available on Tidal but I do have them on my computer.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2317 of 2423 Old 02-18-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
Halo,

I just got Nvidia shield TV Pro and I thought it has tidal but i cant find it in the app store.

Is there a way to install tidal with Nvidia shield? I want to play the master quality as well.

Thanks

I don't believe so. Furthermore, if there was, I'd want to check and see if playback was getting out of the Shield without the native android audio renderer (poorly) resampling the 16/44.1 CD-quality "HiFi" tidal tracks to 16/48 before passing along to my DAC...

The Plex app on my Shield, for example, will play back my 16/44.1 flac files, but if I put my OPPO UDP-203 in between my Shield and my Denon, the OPPO will tell me that it's receiving a 16/48 signal... this is why I use USB Audio Player Pro on my (Android) phone to play back Tidal/Qobuz/intranet FLAC files, as well... USB APP can bypass the native android audio renderer and output bitperfect. A tidal app for Shield without that sort of feature/capability wouldn't be worth a lot, to me at least....

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
post #2318 of 2423 Old 02-18-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I don't believe so. Furthermore, if there was, I'd want to check and see if playback was getting out of the Shield without the native android audio renderer (poorly) resampling the 16/44.1 CD-quality "HiFi" tidal tracks to 16/48 before passing along to my DAC...

The Plex app on my Shield, for example, will play back my 16/44.1 flac files, but if I put my OPPO UDP-203 in between my Shield and my Denon, the OPPO will tell me that it's receiving a 16/48 signal... this is why I use USB Audio Player Pro on my (Android) phone to play back Tidal/Qobuz/intranet FLAC files, as well... USB APP can bypass the native android audio renderer and output bitperfect. A tidal app for Shield without that sort of feature/capability wouldn't be worth a lot, to me at least....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.aspiro.tidal

The Play store on the Shield is incomplete. I always use the browser version to find an app.

And yes it does resample 16/44 to 16/48. Tidal said they're working on getting proper passthrough to work on the Shield, but they said this a long time ago so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

I have a lot of Assistant devices so I'm thinking of going with Deezer anyways once my Spotify Student runs out since it's the only lossless audio service that works with them. (ie: Play "song" in bathroom, etc)

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #2319 of 2423 Old 02-18-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.aspiro.tidal

The Play store on the Shield is incomplete. I always use the browser version to find an app.

And yes it does resample 16/44 to 16/48. Tidal said they're working on getting proper passthrough to work on the Shield, but they said this a long time ago so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

I have a lot of Assistant devices so I'm thinking of going with Deezer anyways once my Spotify Student runs out since it's the only lossless audio service that works with them. (ie: Play "song" in bathroom, etc)
Cool.

About a year ago I broke down and finally tried Roon (with Qobuz and Tidal integration)... I aim Room at a variety of Roon-capable endpoints (mostly Google Chromecast Audios, hate that they discontinued those, I have 7 of them installed right now, but also a couple Google Home Smart speakers, a couple Raspberry Pi's running Ropieee, and one Oppo UDP-203) for lossless playback. It's definitely an expensive solution, but it works better than anything else I tried, and on top of that it had a really enjoyable UI and some great bells-and-whistles that I have come to like/love a lot more than I would have predicted going in...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
post #2320 of 2423 Old 02-18-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Cool.

About a year ago I broke down and finally tried Roon (with Qobuz and Tidal integration)... I aim Room at a variety of Roon-capable endpoints (mostly Google Chromecast Audios, hate that they discontinued those, I have 7 of them installed right now, but also a couple Google Home Smart speakers, a couple Raspberry Pi's running Ropieee, and one Oppo UDP-203) for lossless playback. It's definitely an expensive solution, but it works better than anything else I tried, and on top of that it had a really enjoyable UI and some great bells-and-whistles that I have come to like/love a lot more than I would have predicted going in...
I don’t have the kind of setup that justifies that kind of investment. I just want to say play something and forget it. It will be hard giving up Spotify because their algorithm knows me so well, I’ve been using them for years. I just wish they had a lossless service.
PlanetAVS likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #2321 of 2423 Old 02-21-2020, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I would be surprised if you are not able to stream from the same audio sources in sync to the same streamer hardware with the free Logitech Media Server instead of Roon, so running Squeezelite on the RPi's and the appropriate 3rd party LMS plugins (Chromecast bridge for the Google Chormecast Audios & Home speakers; UPnP/DLNA bridge or AirPlay bridge for the OPPO UDP-203).

Of course you won't get the same great UI as Roon, but LMS doesn't do too badly via its built-in web browser controller with the user interface provided by the Material Skin plugin. The only issue with TIDAL is that LMS doesn't support MQA - though that won't be a problem if you are really only using Roon for lossless playback!

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-21-2020 at 03:47 AM.
post #2322 of 2423 Old 03-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just started getting the message "Playback has been paused because you are playing on Web." I am not playing on web, though. Is this a company problem or have I maybe been hacked?
post #2323 of 2423 Old 03-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Controlling Tidal streaming on iPad with iPhone

With Spotify Connect, I can hook up my old iPad via Lightning to USB adaptor to a 24/192 external DAC but control it from my iPhone. Spotify Connect. (Not that that 24/192 matters, as I play at max 320 ogg vorbis [which Airplay on AVR handles fine too but at 16/44.1—48] but, just to set the stage/goal.)

I'd like to do the same with Tidal so I can take advantage of that better DAC and higher bit rate. When I play from the iPad to USB, Tidal HiFi sounds really great even without the insanity and extra cost of a Master MQA DAC. Fine for my old ears too.

I know this iPhone as Tidal remote is possible by spending more money. My objective is to spend as little as possible for the best sound for ROI. In case you were wondering, IMO, put most money into speakers, amp, and DAC for best stereo sound…. anyhow…

Roon being the best option (too costly for me) as well as Audirvana and Volumio (still, too costly). In all those instances, I would also need a Mac or PC or Pi. But, I just want the iPad to play streaming but control via iPhone (just like Spotify Connect!)

Anyhow, has anyone found a way to do this with Tidal?

If Quobuz does this, that might work for me too.

Remember, I am trying to avoid paying for having a Mac (in my case) running all the time. I'd rather just do Tidal like Spotify Connect works. Yes, I know it is not possible with Tidal, hence, the question. Any more affordable than above options workarounds found? Thanks!
post #2324 of 2423 Old 03-30-2020, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Would you not be able to stream Tidal Atmos from your laptop HDMI to your processor?

Trying to think of how you could get this to work.

Oppo 105D did not play anything.
post #2325 of 2423 Old 04-23-2020, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hello everyone. Just pulled the trigger on tidal hifi, and I have a few questions. I have an LG g8. It has a really good dac that can stream mqa. I also have an iPad pro, which from what I understand doesn't play well with mqa. I'm trying to connect to my Denon avr x6200, and can do airplay all day with the hifi streams, but not master. To get master quality can I plug the iPad into my Denon iPad port/dock. And if not, can I run a 3.5mm to rca cable to my front aux inouts with my c8? What's the best route? I know it's not wireless. That'll come next. Thank you guys.
post #2326 of 2423 Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
Hello everyone. Just pulled the trigger on tidal hifi, and I have a few questions. I have an LG g8. It has a really good dac that can stream mqa. I also have an iPad pro, which from what I understand doesn't play well with mqa. I'm trying to connect to my Denon avr x6200, and can do airplay all day with the hifi streams, but not master. To get master quality can I plug the iPad into my Denon iPad port/dock. And if not, can I run a 3.5mm to rca cable to my front aux inouts with my c8? What's the best route? I know it's not wireless. That'll come next. Thank you guys.
Both the LG and your iPad Pro (if you are at iOS 11+) will provide 1st level MQA unfolding of Tidal high res content. To get the 2nd/3rd level unfolding, you'll need to feed the signal to a DAC that supports full MQA unfolding.
Just connecting your LG/iPad to your Denon is not going to accomplish that on its own.

Probably the best you can do without buying additional equipment is to stream it to Chromecast or Bluetooth via your AVR.
post #2327 of 2423 Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Both the LG and your iPad Pro (if you are at iOS 11+) will provide 1st level MQA unfolding of Tidal high res content. To get the 2nd/3rd level unfolding, you'll need to feed the signal to a DAC that supports full MQA unfolding.
Just connecting your LG/iPad to your Denon is not going to accomplish that on its own.

Probably the best you can do without buying additional equipment is to stream it to Chromecast or Bluetooth via your AVR.
Thank you for your response. The LG g8 has a hifi quad core dac that is able to fully unfold mqa. If I run a 3.5mm to rca to a line input will I be fine? Or do I need to run it to a preout?
post #2328 of 2423 Old 04-23-2020, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response. The LG g8 has a hifi quad core dac that is able to fully unfold mqa. If I run a 3.5mm to rca to a line input will I be fine? Or do I need to run it to a preout?
My bad, I forgot to check your specific phone. Most Android devices do 1st level unfolding only. Yes in theory connecting to your AVR via analog connection should work. Let us know how it goes.

You should also be able to get full MQA through headphones connected to your LG G8 as well
post #2329 of 2423 Old 04-24-2020, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The Node 2 can access your library of stored digital music via your wireless or Ethernet network, and can also access many podcasts or internet radio stations via TuneIn.

If your iTunes library isn't on a local NAS drive, you can also stream direct from your iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth.
I have related question. Can I connect My Node 2i bus optical output to Mytek Brooklyn and listen to MQA stream coming from Tidal?
post #2330 of 2423 Old 04-24-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by haimsh View Post
I have related question. Can I connect My Node 2i bus optical output to Mytek Brooklyn and listen to MQA stream coming from Tidal?
I'm not sure, really. It seems a plausible truth because the optical signal is an unprocessed digital signal and the DAC in the Mytek Brooklyn would do 100% of the conversion to an analog signal. The Brooklyn has a very good MQA certified DAC.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart.
post #2331 of 2423 Old 04-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Hi guys, just a question regarding the video tracks on Tidal. Is there any difference in audio quality between the videos and the equivalent track in audio only format?

I just upgraded to Hifi on Tidal and I swear on.... *some* songs I've noticed a well, noticeable difference compared to Spotify Premium. On other songs, not so much. But I really love the video tracks. I just don't know if I'm compromising on the audio quality yet - haven't spent much time listening for differences there.

Any feedback on that one?
post #2332 of 2423 Old 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Sorry just as a follow up question - I might be dense here, but how do I cast from the Tidal app to my TV app? I downloaded Tidal on both my TV which is where I'm using it, but I also downloaded on my phone and sometimes I find a song and want to listen on my main audio system. Spotify has a feature where you can choose which device is playing, but I don't see this on the Tidal app.
post #2333 of 2423 Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ever find a solution? this started happening to me today..... weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasteve View Post
I just started getting the message "Playback has been paused because you are playing on Web." I am not playing on web, though. Is this a company problem or have I maybe been hacked?
post #2334 of 2423 Old 05-26-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMParis View Post
Ever find a solution? this started happening to me today..... weird

Try changing your password. Your account has most likely been compromised.
post #2335 of 2423 Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
That was my solution, too.
post #2336 of 2423 Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
That was my solution, too.
post #2337 of 2423 Old 05-27-2020, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 687
OK, folks after a long 6 year hiatus, I was the second post in this thread, I'm looking at Tidal. T-MO is offering 3 months free, thinking of trying it out. What is the best way to get the most out of Tidal? I've been using Pandora and Amazon music for many years, interested to try some variety. I have some pretty eclectic tastes in music, the curated stations interest me. plus the improved audio quality.
post #2338 of 2423 Old 05-27-2020, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
OK, folks after a long 6 year hiatus, I was the second post in this thread, I'm looking at Tidal. T-MO is offering 3 months free, thinking of trying it out. What is the best way to get the most out of Tidal? I've been using Pandora and Amazon music for many years, interested to try some variety. I have some pretty eclectic tastes in music, the curated stations interest me. plus the improved audio quality.
For home audio listening, the Bluesound Node is the most popular option at a reasonable cost.

For portable listening, connect an Audioquest Dragonfly to your device. Pick Black/Red/Cobalt according to your budget.
KenM10759 likes this.
post #2339 of 2423 Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
You'll only get the 1st level MQA unfolding from your laptop/ipad > HDMI > AVR. To get full unfolding, you'd need to add the Dragonfly and then output via 3.5mm analog cable to a RCA splitter, then to your analog inputs on your AVR. It doesn't work very well IMO.

Cheapest and easiest solution for full MQA is to get a Bluesound Node and connect via analog to your AVR. You can control it via phone app or Windows app. You can save money on the Bluesound by getting a legacy Node, which last I checked was $200.
is the preferred option Bluesound Node alone or BlueSound node with Roon?

im been trying to decipher MQA since signing up with Tidal.

i understand it from a PC/Mac perspective but trying to figure out the best way to get it into my HT via a Denon x3600h.
post #2340 of 2423 Old 06-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
You'll only get the 1st level MQA unfolding from your laptop/ipad > HDMI > AVR. To get full unfolding, you'd need to add the Dragonfly and then output via 3.5mm analog cable to a RCA splitter, then to your analog inputs on your AVR. It doesn't work very well IMO.

Cheapest and easiest solution for full MQA is to get a Bluesound Node and connect via analog to your AVR. You can control it via phone app or Windows app. You can save money on the Bluesound by getting a legacy Node, which last I checked was $200.
is the preferred option Bluesound Node alone or BlueSound node with Roon?

im been trying to decipher MQA since signing up with Tidal.

i understand it from a PC/Mac perspective but trying to figure out the best way to get it into my HT via a Denon x3600h.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page