HD Dune 3,0 Base and MKV not working - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD Dune 3,0 Base and MKV not working

Have my current collection as BD iso files, but converted some to mkv using makemkv.
The when tried to play thru the Dune, it just sits on a blank screen, says its playing but nothing.
I jumped to a chapter in the movie, and the picture, when it loads, is just still and hardly moves at all.
What is wrong with the situation. Have heard others not having any problems with mkv.
Is there a certain way to do this, or are there known issues with Dune and mkv format.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Have my current collection as BD iso files, but converted some to mkv using makemkv.
The when tried to play thru the Dune, it just sits on a blank screen, says its playing but nothing.
I jumped to a chapter in the movie, and the picture, when it loads, is just still and hardly moves at all.
What is wrong with the situation. Have heard others not having any problems with mkv.
Is there a certain way to do this, or are there known issues with Dune and mkv format.

Thx
I've ripped all my Blurays to MKV with MakeMKV. My Dune Base 3D plays them back just fine.

Looky here!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I've ripped all my Blurays to MKV with MakeMKV. My Dune Base 3D plays them back just fine.
Tried ripping a few more to mkv, still not playing thru the Dune player (hardly moves at all), but plays fine on VLC or in Plex itself.
Just not wanting to convert all 400 movies to mkv - delete the iso - and never be able to play thru Dune again. can't save both since I will run out of server space quickly.
maybe a different firmware on the Dune would help, using the current beta version.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Tried ripping a few more to mkv, still not playing thru the Dune player (hardly moves at all), but plays fine on VLC or in Plex itself.
Just not wanting to convert all 400 movies to mkv - delete the iso - and never be able to play thru Dune again. can't save both since I will run out of server space quickly.
maybe a different firmware on the Dune would help, using the current beta version.

Thx
It's gotta have something to do with the way you're doing the rip. What bitrate are you using?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
It's gotta have something to do with the way you're doing the rip. What bitrate are you using?
Using whatever MakeMKV gives me. Just looked at it again, and there are no setting to change or even see what the bitrate is with this free beta software. May have to look into the DVDFab version, since I have to pay for it, it should let me set a bitrate.

Scott
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Using whatever MakeMKV gives me. Just looked at it again, and there are no setting to change or even see what the bitrate is with this free beta software. May have to look into the DVDFab version, since I have to pay for it, it should let me set a bitrate.

Scott
Which movies have you tried(dvd /blu ray)? I haven't had any problems with mkvs and my Dune Base. If you are using Makemkv the bitrate should be whatever the movie is(should make a 1:1 copy just put in the mkv container). If you change the bitrate arent you then re-encoding and not make a 1:1 copy?

Last edited by bluewhale1; 11-26-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Which movies have you tried(dvd /blu ray)? I haven't had any problems with mkvs and my Dune Base. If you are using Makemkv the bitrate should be whatever the movie is(should make a 1:1 copy just put in the mkv container). If you change the bitrate arent you then re-encoding and not make a 1:1 copy?
I originally used DVDFab to make 1:1 copies of all my BD (just the movie/HD audio/subs), and they all play fine on everything I have.
So whatever the bitrate was then, is same for MKV I guess. I will try some others and see if I can better results before moving to DVDFab ripper.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page